Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Quarterfinals at Q

Posted by Greenberg '97 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Quarterfinals at Q
Posted by: BearLover (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 10:25AM

Some nice comments about the Red at the bottom of this article:
[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 10:41AM

BearLover
[www.uscho.com]

Read the comments below.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2013 10:48AM

Towerroad
BearLover
[www.uscho.com]

Read the comments below.

I think we've heard from TortReform before, on this forum?

For all who want to complain, there are 6 ECAC teams still playing and we are one of them. Sure we may lose tonight, and the season will have been a disappointment, but would you rather be Clarkson or Harvard? Those are two traditional programs that have had hard times, much more than we've had. I'm sure we'll be in the running for the ECAC crown next year, will they? For that matter, after losing 11 seniors, wil Q?

Posted by: BearLover (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:08AM

Towerroad
BearLover
[www.uscho.com]

Read the comments below.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:09AM

My take was putting AI back in was Schafer underlining that pulling Andy in the first place had nothing to do with Andy.

Did Schafer have any post-game comments? Does the ECAC fine a coach who refuses to do interviews?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 11:12AM by Trotsky.

Date: March 17, 2013 11:17AM

Trotsky
My take was putting AI back in was Schafer underlining that pulling Andy in the first place had nothing to do with Andy.

Did Schafer have any post-game comments? Does the ECAC fine a coach who refuses to do interviews?
If you were Schafer wouldn't you prefer to take a possible fine rather than face the press after last nights performance. A blow out loss and 100 min in the penalty box is not something you really want to talk about.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:33AM

Jordan 04
Was Andy reinserted simply to spare Kanji further embarrassment? If so, that seems pretty classy as Coach could have easily continued to make Kanji the sacrificial lamb in preparation for tonight's game.

After watching Omar play the last part of the second period, it was obvious that if he played the third period it was going to get even more lopsided, perhaps 15-0. There's a reason he never played. He wasn't getting much help, but the final goal he gave up was soft.

Speaking of Iles, did anyone else notice that after the first goal he took his helmet off, skated to the bench and came back with a different helmet? Why would he wear the wrong helmet to start the game?

Date: March 17, 2013 11:39AM

Towerroad
Trotsky

If you were Schafer wouldn't you prefer to take a possible fine rather than face the press after last nights performance. A blow out loss and 100 min in the penalty box is not something you really want to talk about.

If I were Schafer I would go to the interview and stretch it out, leaving the guys in a completely silent locker room dreading my return.

Game 3 Seating
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:40AM

If you are going tonight and don't know, the seating has been rearranged. The CU band and section is being moved from 110 to 116 at the opposite side of the rink. My guess is that with break ending at Q, they want to reclaim their student section.

Date: March 17, 2013 11:51AM

Trotsky
Towerroad
Trotsky

If I were Schafer I would go to the interview and stretch it out, leaving the guys in a completely silent locker room dreading my return.

That has worked so well this year.

Re: Game 3 Seating
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:53AM

Chris '03
If you are going tonight and don't know, the seating has been rearranged. The CU band and section is being moved from 110 to 116 at the opposite side of the rink. My guess is that with break ending at Q, they want to reclaim their student section.

Talking to some of the bandies after the game, allegedly there was some threatening language coming from the QU student section, and at least one instance of physical contact that made the situation uncomfortable. After the 2nd period ended (with the on-ice melee and all) the band asked arena security for some watchful eyes. I didn't know that at the time, but I did notice some uniformed officers come down the aisles during the 2nd intermission. I'm not aware of any further incidents, but it seems that the section was moved for that reason.

Note that I heard this second-hand, and this is only how I understand it. I didn't notice anything particularly bad myself.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 12:00PM by RichH.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:54AM

I thought the rest of the team stepped it up a bit after Kanji went in. They actually seemed to control the play a bit, until the inevitable penalty put them behind the 8-ball again (although tecnically they killed the penalty). Also, with 2 defensemen (D'Agostino and McDonald) in the penalty box for the first 12 minutes of the third, it would have been kinda mean to put Kanji back out there.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 12:01PM

Jordan 04
Was Andy reinserted simply to spare Kanji further embarrassment? If so, that seems pretty classy as Coach could have easily continued to make Kanji the sacrificial lamb in preparation for tonight's game.
It's unlikely that Schafer and Family Kanji are these kinds of people, but we all recall middle- or high-school sports where the third string goalie or QB or wide receiver or attackman was actually the best player on the team, certainly the best 5-foot-6, 190-pound player on the team, but the coaches were too dense to see talent when it bit them on the butt. And there is always the temptation to shut up the parents once and for all by letting the kid show his stuff and then get pounded back to reality. The smart coach keeps the kid out so his last memory of senior year is not his woeful performance. And so he doesn't get injured badly.

Schafer saw it wasn't Iles' and Cornell's night, so either let Kanji finish the game if he could hold Q to a goal or two in each period, or give Iles a breather before coming back in to steady himself for Game 3.

Omar deserves some kind of medal for four years of dedication, for playing the opponent goalie in practice, and sticking it out. He's going pro in something other than hockey.

Date: March 17, 2013 12:32PM

The Q student section was getting pretty obnoxious as their team poured it on, and I did notice the extra security. That's not why the Cornell section has been relocated for tonight's game, though. That decision was made before Game 2 began. The visiting team normally has a section behind its own team's bench, and that's where the Cornell fans usually are during the regular season games. Q must have decided to give their own fans those seats for the first two games of the playoffs.
It will be interesting to see tonight's attendance, since tickets didn't go on sale until after Game 2.

Date: March 17, 2013 12:38PM

A Cornell fan sitting behind me last night was screaming about how old the age of the Q players was, saying their average age was around 24. Does anyone know if this is true? The Q athletics website doesn't list their players' ages,and even the USCHO site is missing the ages of many of the Q players. However, they do have at least five players born in 1988 and one born in 1987.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 01:17PM

dbilmes
A Cornell fan sitting behind me last night was screaming about how old the age of the Q players was, saying their average age was around 24. Does anyone know if this is true? The Q athletics website doesn't list their players' ages,and even the USCHO site is missing the ages of many of the Q players. However, they do have at least five players born in 1988 and one born in 1987.

CHN app says 22yr 9mo for Q and 21yr 3mo average for CU.

Posted by: Avash (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 01:20PM

The roster/birthdays are up to date here: [www.collegehockeynews.com]

Date: March 17, 2013 01:46PM

So do we wonder why?

Collegehockeystats.net
Penalty Minutes:              Games    PIM     PIM/G
  1 Cornell                     33     597      18.1
  2 Quinnipiac                  36     599      16.6

Date: March 17, 2013 01:57PM

Jim Hyla
So do we wonder why?

Collegehockeystats.net

According to uscho we are #1 in PIM/G by a long shot. Q is #2 and we out sat them by 1.5 min/game.

[www.uscho.com]

Note the big gap between #1 and #2 vs 2 and 3 ect.

Date: March 17, 2013 02:04PM

Towerroad
Jim Hyla
So do we wonder why?

Collegehockeystats.net

According to uscho we are #1 in PIM/G by a long shot. Q is #2 and we out sat them by 1.5 min/game.

[www.uscho.com]

Isn't that what the stats I posted said?

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr1.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 17, 2013 02:06PM

hypotenuse
The second game-
Reminds me of the Cornell-BU game in 197? In which BU beat us 9-0 at Lynah. (BU was later forced to forfeit the game, which was Cornell's first loss at Lynah in years) like this one, the game just got away from us. Hopefully we can wake up tomorrow with no hangover and get out act together.

I remember that game all-too-well. 'Round about 5-0 last night, I started looking for a Decloe on the QU roster. No such luck.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 02:08PM

Jim Hyla
So do we wonder why?

Collegehockeystats.net

That's the thing. Quinnipiac's team is not full of a bunch of church mice. They've gotten into a few donnybrooks this year, and there have been some other games full of penalties. (Take a look at their last game against Yale; take a look at their last game against Colgate.)

Sure, our team is a bit thuggish this year, but Quinnipiac responded in kind last night. No player should take a run at another the way that Goodman (a senior, mind you) took a run at Ryan—our hands down best defenseman—last night. That's why he got a double major, which I've never before seen handed out, and that's why he should've gotten a game DQ. If the refs hadn't been such ninnies, they would've handed out a DQ to each team after the fight at the end of the second and then said, "Who else wants to sit tomorrow night?" That would've ended it. (Or at least game misconducts for everyone. I had hoped that McCarron, in particular, was going to get a gamer, since he doesn't respond well to these situations. No matter how much I like the way he pests for us, I didn't want to see him get injured in the 3rd.) Instead, they handed out multiple 2s and 10s, which you just knew were going to lead to more extracurriculars in the 3rd. If that's a policy handed down from on high by Stewart, the ECAC's head of officials, it's a stupid policy that removes any chance for refs to take control of a potentially explosive situation.

People here are a bit naive about fighting in hockey and why it happens. That kind of hit could've ended Ryan's season—perhaps his career. I've seen it happen in the past, and I've seen Schafer respond similarly. I remember seeing Jason Kendall get a signal to knock some sense into a guy at Brown once, and I'm sure Craig got that signal last night. Good for Schafer, and good for him. Pecknold should've called off the dogs. He didn't. What else are you going to do?

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 02:11PM

Towerroad
Jim Hyla
So do we wonder why?

Collegehockeystats.net

[www.uscho.com]

Not quoted but easily calculated: Cornell also leads in minutes/penalty, followed closely by Q, with #3 and the rest way behind.

Date: March 17, 2013 02:26PM

Scersk '97
Sure, our team is a bit thuggish this year, but Quinnipiac responded in kind last night. No player should take a run at another the way that Goodman (a senior, mind you) took a run at Ryan—our hands down best defenseman—last night. That's why he got a double major, which I've never before seen handed out, and that's why he should've gotten a game DQ.
Schafer actually mentioned in the pre-game before Game 2 that playing Q is like playing an inter-squad game; they play a brand of hockey very similar to ours.

We will see what our team is made of tonight. Was Friday or Saturday the anomaly?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 02:27PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 17, 2013 02:34PM

As much as I like Old Time Hockey and Eddie Shore, you do not send out a headhunter to foil headhunting. In a league with fighting, you do send a fighter -- that's part of the game. But in our league, you send the tape to the league office and get the kid suspended, just like Schafer did with van Brabant. Vigilantism only screws you because you wind up getting nailed for retaliation, not to mention the risk to your own players from further escalation.

"The Code" is bullshit.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 02:35PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: rdez79 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 03:04PM

the key today is get a good 1st period either tied or ahead and playing well.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 03:22PM

Trotsky
As much as I like Old Time Hockey and Eddie Shore, you do not send out a headhunter to foil headhunting. In a league with fighting, you do send a fighter -- that's part of the game. But in our league, you send the tape to the league office and get the kid suspended, just like Schafer did with van Brabant. Vigilantism only screws you because you wind up getting nailed for retaliation, not to mention the risk to your own players from further escalation.

It seems to me as if refs aren't empowered—by their league supervisor?—to take control of playoff games, however. If there isn't adequate supervision during the game, what are you supposed to do? In my opinion, a few game misconducts would've lead to a very placid 3rd.

Yeah, I don't like to watch headhunting and idiocy either, but what are you supposed to do? Dias should've gotten an immediate DQ. Goodman should've gotten an immediate DQ. Craig got a two and ten for his headhunting charge. Yeesh.

Posted by: dpd (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 03:26PM

Do we have any DQ'ed for tonight?

Date: March 17, 2013 04:37PM

dpd
Do we have any DQ'ed for tonight?
The box says no, but there could always be tapes going to the league office (by either team).

Date: March 17, 2013 04:43PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky

It seems to me as if refs aren't empowered—by their league supervisor?—to take control of playoff games, however. If there isn't adequate supervision during the game, what are you supposed to do? In my opinion, a few game misconducts would've lead to a very placid 3rd.

Yeah, I don't like to watch headhunting and idiocy either, but what are you supposed to do? Dias should've gotten an immediate DQ. Goodman should've gotten an immediate DQ. Craig got a two and ten for his headhunting charge. Yeesh.

Bear in mind that when their guy crosschecks our guy apparently "out of nowhere," it's most likely because our guy crosschecked their guy behind the play and we didn't see it. That's why vendettas are endless.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 17, 2013 05:28PM

rdez79
the key today is get a good 1st period either tied or ahead and playing well.

Or fall behind but come back to win like we did just 2 nights ago against the same opponent.

The only cliché that applies tonight is "win or go home."

Posted by: dbilmes (---.sub-174-226-7.myvzw.com)
Date: March 17, 2013 06:51PM

Trotsky

Posted by: dbilmes (---.sub-174-226-7.myvzw.com)
Date: March 17, 2013 06:52PM

Trotsky

Schafer was quoted in USCHO article.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login