Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

No way...

Posted by Section A 
No way...
Posted by: Section A (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2003 02:19PM

You must be joking.....we had a hockey player named Murray Death?!

[hockeydb.com]

That has to be the greatest hockey name I've ever heard.
(and there was a kid who played high school hockey back home whose last name was Thrasher.....he's a close second to Death).

Any other ironically appropriate hockey names you've heard of?

EDIT: looks like hockeydb.com has incomplete stats for that 1966-1967 year.

Post Edited (03-12-03 14:23)

Re: No way...
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 12, 2003 02:22PM

I had a faculty brat friend who said that at least by the time he had kids in elementary school the family was pronouncing it "Deeth," for their benefit.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 12, 2003 02:36PM

Not sure if Murray's still there, but for a long time he worked at Cornell--I think for a time doing development work for the engineering school. Seems to me at some point he changed the spelling of his name to Deathe, to encourage the proper pronunciation.

Good player, and an important cog on that championship team. Nice guy, too.

Date: March 12, 2003 02:47PM

Why did he only play that one year? Or are the stats for his other years just not available?

Posted by: zg88 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2003 03:01PM

Well... FWIW... the "Death sisters" (twins?) (both Ithaca High School '84) pronounced their name "Deeth" (spelled "Death";) throughout junior/senior high school. I'm not sure if they are related to Murray, but they both(?) played hockey locally (in Ithaca) during their school years.

Of course, if he were their father, then -- time-line-wise -- Murray would've had to have been a daddy (or, at the very least, a daddy-to-be) during his Cornell hockey days (unless the girls had skipped a coupla grades... or...), so... ummm...?? nut

Post Edited (03-12-03 15:18)

Posted by: ExChop (---.salliemae.com)
Date: March 12, 2003 03:16PM

My dad ('69) is pretty good friends with Murray. He still works for the college of engineering. Had a few beers with him after the Harvard game a couple of years back--real nice guy. Doesn't like the 'death' pronunciation, either... How cool would it be to be introduced to people as Mr. Death???

Date: March 12, 2003 03:24PM

Murray played three years and scored 95 points. Graduated 1967. Now, according to cornell.edu, he's doing major gifts in development.

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 12, 2003 03:33PM

If you want to see a picture of him from his playing days, there is one at the Chapter House. If the Chapter House is still around and they still have old Cornellalia on the walls.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2003 03:33PM

Yep. Still there (both the Chapter House and the photo).

Posted by: Tom Tseng '87 (---.stanford.edu)
Date: March 12, 2003 04:34PM

Murray was a colleague of mine in Engineering and later in Development. He was an associate dean for alumni affairs and development, succeeding Mary Berens when she became the director of alumni affairs for the university. Later, Murray went to 55 Brown Road and has been with the university development office since. Don't think he has retired yet...

I was at the "installation" of that imfamous picture of Murray at the Chapter House. I seem to recall that his friends and colleagues put it up there as a joke on the occasion of his promotion in Engineering. Early 90s, I want to say. It might have gone up to replace an older photo.

Indeed, he changed the spelling of his last name to Deathe (but still pronounced DEETH, of course). Nice guy, for sure...

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 12, 2003 04:44PM

Murray centered the 2nd line for our first National championship team.

Posted by: peterg (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: March 12, 2003 05:01PM

Murray's a long time golf partner in Ithaca. He's still in town. Over the years he coached girls hockey (The Shooting Stars), refereed, and was, I believe, for a time, the ECAC rep who would submit a review of the quality of the officiating after each men's home game. ack here to work at the Engineering College been in Ithaca. Murray is one terrific guy. You can find him at all the games.

Date: March 12, 2003 05:01PM

Murray Death(e) was in Ned's first recruiting class, which utterly transformed Cornell hockey from a struggling wannabe hopeful of stealing an occasional game from an established opponent to the powerhouse of the nation.

The best way to see what this class did is to go to Greg's site (http://www.spiritone.com/~kepler/tbrw.html ), click on the "Players" box, then click the "By Season" link under "Exhaustive Scoring," and look at how the class of 1967 led the scoring list in 1965 as sophomores and again in 1966 as juniors. The addition of the great class of 1969 (Dryden, Cornell, Tufford, Pattison, McGuinn, etc.) as sophomores in 1967 filled out that team to NCAA championship level.

Post Edited (03-12-03 20:09)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2003 05:13PM

Yup, see him at the games all the time. Even way back then it was pronounced deeth, and I don't remember anyone even joking about it. Al is absolutely right about that class ('67). Sometimes in their freshman year there were as many people at the frosh game as the varsity. You really knew something good was happenning then.

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 12, 2003 05:32PM

I can understand that an adult with children would want to avoid a lot of references to death. I am shocked, however, that a teenager playing a game as rough as hockey wouldn't embrace the mispronunciation of his name. (Though I guess Miroslav Satan wasn't encouraging hellish associations either.)

Date: March 12, 2003 07:03PM

Which reminds me....ever noticed how evil Miroslav Satan actually looks? Scary!

[sports.espn.go.com]

Posted by: cquinn (---.bur.adelphia.net)
Date: March 12, 2003 07:16PM

But Mike Ricci still gets the "Ugliest Dude in Hockey" award. No contest.

And somebody at ESPN was having fun with the Satan link. His player profile number is 666.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 12, 2003 08:03PM

The paren within the URL above makes it non-functional. Here is a direct link to the By Season frameset:

[www.spiritone.com]

Date: March 12, 2003 08:11PM

Thanks for catching that, Greg. It's fixed above, I think.

Posted by: David Harding 72 (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: March 12, 2003 11:01PM

[Q]Al is absolutely right about that class ('67). Sometimes in their freshman year there were as many people at the frosh game as the varsity. You really knew something good was happenning then.[/Q]

Wasn't that the year that the frosh won the preseason frosh-varsity game?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: March 12, 2003 11:02PM

I also have had the privilege of working with Murray in development, and he is a genial, professional, and absolutely hysterical guy. I consider him a friend and a mentor, and he was my co-pilot when I went to solicit my first $1 million gift for Cornell (which we slam-dunked, by the way).

After playing, I think Murray reffed ECAC games for a while as well.

Beeeej

Post Edited (03-12-03 23:03)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2003 11:48PM

I don't remember. Al, can you help?

Date: March 13, 2003 12:38AM

Beeeej:
When you have a law degree under your belt, we may yet see a planned giving development officer out of you :-D That is a great story about you and Murray going out on a solicitation call.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 13, 2003 08:07AM

So is it true that the first $1 Million is the hardest? screwy

Date: March 13, 2003 09:53AM

I don't remember either, Jim, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The 1963-4 team scored 77 goals and had a total of 183 points for the season. The following year, the sophomore class alone scored 113 goals and had 284 points. Ned brought with him from RPI a goalie (Al McNally) and a forward (Bob Leaf? Help!), both of whom would have been ineligible in 1963-4. He may have done some kind of goalie rotation in the freshmen-varsity game with McKibbon, McNally, and Quarrie (the last a highly-regarded recruit who had the misfortune of seeing Ken Dryden arrive just in time to bench him for his senior year).

Posted by: Tom Hamill (---.cdc.noaa.gov)
Date: March 13, 2003 10:10AM

Re the original post and great hockey names: I always liked the hockey name "Beukeboom" (sp?). THAT sounded like a hockey name.

And as for great Cornell names, there never has been one so much fun to yell after a goal as "Sancimino!"

Re: No way... (Other amusing player names)
Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: March 13, 2003 10:47AM

I think "Shields" is a pretty good name for a goalie, but that got me wondering whether there were any goalies out there with the last name "Wall". According to HockeyDB there were two of them in the WHL. Must not have been real Walls, though, as they each played 3 or 4 games (though HockeyDB does note that stats may be incomplete for goalies).

As far as names that stand out in the ECAC, Stonehouse wasn't bad (as a name), Capouch really was (how do you say that?). There's always "We want Boo-yah" when it comes to refs.

My brother and I did attempt a cheer about a Princeton player (#9) a couple of years back: "Hey Prime, nine is not a Prime number." Pity we didn't coordinate better... oh well. help

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 13, 2003 11:20AM

Weber State had a goalie a few years back named Sam Jackson. His nickname was, of course, Stonewall.

[slack.net]

Date: March 13, 2003 01:21PM

I have done $250,000 to $500,000, but have not successfully asked and closed a $1M gift yet. My day will come....:-}

Tom
formerly Cornell development & Harvard development
now in sunny CA...

Date: March 13, 2003 03:43PM

Somebody in Section A yelled something similar to Prime from Princeton earlier this year at Lynah. I found it very funny. But then again, I'm a dork....:-D

Posted by: peterg (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: March 13, 2003 06:58PM

Minor Cornell connection above - Jeff Beukeboom is Joe N.'s cousin.

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2003 07:28PM

Avash '05 wrote:

Somebody in Section A yelled something similar to Prime from Princeton earlier this year at Lynah. I found it very funny. But then again, I'm a dork....:-D

That would be me :)
Thank you for appreciating!

-Mike (04)

Date: March 13, 2003 07:46PM

No problem...it was very funny....

hey are you the guy with the signs (red jersey/glasses) on the aisle there? Because if you are, I sit two rows in front of you (wearing a home jersey) and often ask before the game what the sign says.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 13, 2003 07:48PM

If only Phorum 5 with mailboxes and messaging were done rolleyes

Date: March 13, 2003 08:06PM

Speaking of Joe, I was looking forward to seeing him play against the Bruins tonight but he's a healthy scratch. Anyone know what's up? Giving him a rest? A message?

Date: March 13, 2003 08:54PM

he's "ill."

Date: March 13, 2003 10:09PM

Yeah, yeah,....

How's that Phorum 5 thing coming anyway?

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2003 11:10PM

Avash '05 wrote:

hey are you the guy with the signs (red jersey/glasses) on the aisle there? Because if you are, I sit two rows in front of you (wearing a home jersey) and often ask before the game what the sign says.

haha yeah that's me...didn;t know i had achieved any notoriety :)

-mike

Date: March 14, 2003 08:54AM

Yep, Avash. Stomach virus, according to Pat Burns in today's NYT. Doesn't sound "healthy" to me.

Joe's to be honored for his 1000th point before Sunday's Devils-Rangers game.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: March 14, 2003 01:56PM

WBZ 1030 reported it as the flu.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login