Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Princeton Roll Call

Posted by Greenberg '97 
Princeton Roll Call
Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 04, 2013 01:44PM

Just bought mine, +3. Section 126, which are nearly the worst seats possible for trying to see the end where we shoot twice.

Edited to add: Friday only, for now
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2013 04:33PM by Greenberg '97.

Re: Princeton Roll Call
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 02:36PM

Not me, I'm going to be in Ithaca. How's that for timing?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 03:47PM

Could be worse. We're getting the Storm of the Century. :(

Date: March 04, 2013 03:48PM

Josh '99
I'll bet you are really pissed at Harvard.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-28.myvzw.com)
Date: March 04, 2013 04:27PM

Greenberg '97
Just bought mine, +3. Section 126, which are nearly the worst seats possible for trying to see the end where we shoot twice.

Yes but our strategy is not to score goals. (Anti-woofing God's take note.) You are closer to the end we defend twice so you're in the cat bird's seat.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 04, 2013 04:32PM

Trotsky
Could be worse. We're getting the Storm of the Century. :(

Wait, what's this now? I should probably check the weather before buying tickets that require an hour drive.

Also, I should edit my initial post to say I only have tickets for Friday. Probably can't make Saturday.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 05:20PM

Trotsky
Josh '99
I'll bet you are really pissed at Harvard.
They're on my shit list's shit list.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 06:16PM

Im in Saturday +4

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 06:20PM

broken hearted. not going.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 04, 2013 07:44PM

Just bought my tickets, Fri and Sat. Now what's this about a storm. True or False?

Date: March 04, 2013 07:51PM

Jim Hyla
Just bought my tickets, Fri and Sat. Now what's this about a storm. True or False?

False. We have potentially crappy weather coming Wednesday into Thursday. Last I saw, Fridays weather should be fine.

Date: March 04, 2013 07:58PM

toddlose
Jim Hyla

False. We have potentially crappy weather coming Wednesday into Thursday. Last I saw, Fridays weather should be fine.

Thanks, I didn't see anything on Weather.com. 40s and sunny they said.

Date: March 04, 2013 08:42PM

Jim Hyla
toddlose
Jim Hyla

Thanks, I didn't see anything on Weather.com. 40s and sunny they said.

No problem. All weekend looks good according to the weather man. Although, I trust him about as much as a typical politician.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 08:55PM

toddlose
No problem. All weekend looks good according to the weather man. Although, I trust him about as much as a typical politician.

Looks good. Our local DC weather reporting is a bit... alarmist. (Edit: to be fair, 20 inches would suck even in snow-experienced places. But hopefully nobody north of the PA-MD state line will see anything)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 02:53PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 08:57PM

In for Saturday. Appreciate getting a report on how full the rink really was on Friday. Princeton always reports a sellout for RS games vs. Cornell and Harvard and SRO seats are always available, as are seats. Could Princeton fans really take a shine to hockey in March? Their spring break is not until March 16-24.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 10:55PM

billhoward
In for Saturday. Appreciate getting a report on how full the rink really was on Friday. Princeton always reports a sellout for RS games vs. Cornell and Harvard and SRO seats are always available, as are seats. Could Princeton fans really take a shine to hockey in March? Their spring break is not until March 16-24.

Will do, if I remember. We may make the trip Saturday if I can get out of work early enough, but it would be for tickets at the door.

Date: March 05, 2013 02:51PM

National Weather Service now predicting the snow storm will (1) be over by Thursday and (2) miss NJ anyway. Pretty map here.

Posted by: judy (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2013 07:03PM

I hear it's also supposed to be warm so whatever comes down should be melted by the weekend, if not Thursday night

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 04:16AM

Trotsky
toddlose

Looks good. Our local DC weather reporting is a bit... alarmist. (Edit: to be fair, 20 inches would suck even in snow-experienced places. But hopefully nobody north of the PA-MD state line will see anything)
Is that ever the truth, but the public blames them for the havoc panic caused by the few storms that they have underpredicted, so they tend to overpredict. People only laugh at them in those cases. So far this looks like the latter case at least here in DC itself. How are things in the far western suburbs? Is the Potomac going to rise and flood the low-lying part of your town?

Date: March 06, 2013 08:22AM

ursusminor
Trotsky
toddlose

Is that ever the truth, but the public blames them for the havoc panic caused by the few storms that they have underpredicted, so they tend to overpredict. People only laugh at them in those cases. So far this looks like the latter case at least here in DC itself. How are things in the far western suburbs? Is the Potomac going to rise and flood the low-lying part of your town?

The Potomac floods the main drag in my town whenever some kid takes a leak in it. If it ever floods my house AC will have joined the Atlantic Ocean, which will be bad for the ice at Boardwalk.

And actually the snowfall is Ithaca-level suckitude this morning down here (so heavy our power lines, which of course are exposed because Herp Durned Gubmint Herp, are coming down) and it is only going to get worse all day. However, it seems to be localized to non-ECAC territory.

If anybody is planning on traveling to Princeton from central WV on the other hand, they are screwed.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 08:42AM

Trotsky
ursusminor
Trotsky
toddlose

The Potomac floods the main drag in my town whenever some kid takes a leak in it. If it ever floods my house AC will have joined the Atlantic Ocean, which will be bad for the ice at Boardwalk.

And actually the snowfall is Ithaca-level suckitude this morning down here (so heavy our power lines, which of course are exposed because Herp Durned Gubmint Herp, are coming down) and it is only going to get worse all day. However, it seems to be localized to non-ECAC territory.

If anybody is planning on traveling to Princeton from central WV on the other hand, they are screwed.
Having ridden my bike up Ballenger Creek Pike several times, although not in a few years, I know you're safe. :) BTW, it's now snowing quite hard in DC but melting when it hits the ground.

Date: March 06, 2013 08:46AM

Trotsky
ursusminor
Trotsky
toddlose

What is Ithaca-level? It hardly snows in Ithaca.:-D Some of us have to go through what you're having, just to get to regular season games.bolt

Date: March 06, 2013 10:29AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
ursusminor
Trotsky
toddlose

What is Ithaca-level? It hardly snows in Ithaca.:-D Some of us have to go through what you're having, just to get to regular season games.bolt

In my memory Ithaca Snow is not an amount, it's a texture.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 03:05PM

judy
I hear it's also supposed to be warm so whatever comes down should be melted by the weekend, if not Thursday night
Rain today, up to 3" snow in Princeton overnight, then additional precipitation unlikely through Sunday. Temps mid 40s Friday rising to the low 50s by Saturday and Sunday. C'mon down.

Date: March 06, 2013 05:14PM

billhoward
judy
Rain today, up to 3" snow in Princeton overnight, then additional precipitation unlikely through Sunday. Temps mid 40s Friday rising to the low 50s by Saturday and Sunday. C'mon down.

Bill, a few inches of snow is not going to stop someone from Syracuse.:-}

Posted by: jek86 (38.119.57.---)
Date: March 06, 2013 09:34PM

interesting interview with Schafer: schafer interview
He mentions Mowrey's injury and how it hurt them for Yale.. Not optimistic for Princeton series. Was very angry with some of the seniors' play in the first period at Yale. anybody notice anything?

Date: March 06, 2013 09:37PM

jek86
Was very angry with some of the seniors' play in the first period at Yale. anybody notice anything?
The team as a whole played back on their heels and let Yale bring their game to us. I thought we were just terrified of taking penalties. Schafer mentioned in the pregame that the officials could be unpredictable, particularly on the road, in distingushing checking from roughing.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 09:34AM

jek86
He mentions Mowrey's injury and how it hurt them for Yale...

What I found interesting about Schafer discussing Mowrey's injury is how he now considers him one of his "guys down the middle," even projecting that notion back to the beginning of the season. During the interview, he imagines Miller, Mowrey, Bardreau, and Axell "sitting there [down the middle]" at the beginning of the season and imagines wondering whether anyone will be able to match up with that lineup.

In fact, Mowrey only began to play center starting with the Ferris State game, if the box scores at collegehockeystats.com are to be believed, and I would say his production dropped off significantly during "the schneid," which probably had a lot to do with our problems. Regarding his linemates, McCarron started scoring consistently when Mowrey took over the center on that line; Esposito, on the other hand, has cooled down. Now, over the past few games, that line has really started to look as dominant as the Hilbrich–Miller–Ferlin line, and much of it has to do with Mowrey, I think, becoming comfortable and defensively responsible. But Mowrey playing center kind of came out of nowhere midway through the season, whatever Schafer remembers. What this tells me is that the search for a second scoring line has been a big problem for us all year long, and what sucks is that, with Mowrey injured, we are searching again, hopefully successfully and hopefully only for two games.

Moreover, it indicates to me how important Schafer considers his centers to be, which is perhaps somewhat unsurprising considering our defensive mindset. This gives me a bit of pause when I think about next year. We lose Miller and Axell. Bardreau, mostly likely, will be back, and Mowrey will be ready to go from the start. Thankfully, Tiitinen, Hilbrich, and Knisley have all spent significant time at center this year. I'm particularly bullish on Tiitinen, and I hope that Knisley can turn into a Vesce-type—even a "half" Vesce-type would be fine with me. So, we're looking at Mowrey, Bardreau, Tiitinen, and, I think, Knisley down the middle next year. (I don't know on Hilbrich: he might eventually settle in there and be absolutely dominant a la Bâby, or perhaps his talents are "wasted" there. I just can't tell.) Anyway, a good lineup, but we'll need significant development from the two current freshmen or the arrival of a phenom to be really successful.

And hilarious how he mentions that Brown offers "no environment." So very right. It should remind all of us, if we needed a reminder, how important it is for the Pep Band to travel to as many away games as possible.

Date: March 07, 2013 10:11AM

Scersk '97
Moreover, it indicates to me how important Schafer considers his centers to be, which is perhaps somewhat unsurprising considering our defensive mindset. This gives me a bit of pause when I think about next year. We lose Miller and Axell. Bardreau, mostly likely, will be back, and Mowrey will be ready to go from the start. Thankfully, Tiitinen, Hilbrich, and Knisley have all spent significant time at center this year. I'm particularly bullish on Tiitinen, and I hope that Knisley can turn into a Vesce-type—even a "half" Vesce-type would be fine with me. So, we're looking at Mowrey, Bardreau, Tiitinen, and, I think, Knisley down the middle next year. (I don't know on Hilbrich: he might eventually settle in there and be absolutely dominant a la Bâby, or perhaps his talents are "wasted" there. I just can't tell.) Anyway, a good lineup, but we'll need significant development from the two current freshmen or the arrival of a phenom to be really successful.

Excellent point. From many, many remarks like this over the years it's apparent that Schafer, for all our obsession with blue line play, considers center to be the second-most important position on the ice (after goalie). The System (TM) is predicated on successful possession, which begins with face offs.

(Now on the down side one could criticize this as paying too little attention to the wing snipers who actually put the damn puck in the net.)

Date: March 07, 2013 11:35AM

jek86

That was a very good interview. Than you for posting the link.

I was surprised by Schafer's vehemence about the first period at Yale. He was not a happy man.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 07, 2013 11:48AM

Trotsky

I was surprised by Schafer's vehemence about the first period at Yale.

Me too. I saw it as one of those periods where we whethered a storm and were lucky to come out of it tied 1-1...a positive thing in a fan's eye, when you look at how we played the rest of the game. Coaches have different concerns.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2013 12:02PM

RichH
Trotsky

I was surprised by Schafer's vehemence about the first period at Yale.

Me too. I saw it as one of those periods where we whethered a storm and were lucky to come out of it tied 1-1...a positive thing in a fan's eye, when you look at how we played the rest of the game. Coaches have different concerns.

Or you could say that the coach's concern was given to the players at intermission, and they responded.

Date: March 07, 2013 02:46PM

in listening again Schafer specifically refers to "a couple of UPPERCLASSMEN" who came out not ready to play in the first period and were then benched for the 2nd and 3rd. He then threatened it will be the last time they wear a Cornell uniform if they come out to play like that again. Naturally I'm curious who he is referring to. Anybody notice who sat and is now skating on thin ice...so to speak..

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2013 03:08PM

Trotsky
From many, many remarks like this over the years it's apparent that Schafer, for all our obsession with blue line play, considers center to be the second-most important position on the ice (after goalie). The System (TM) is predicated on successful possession, which begins with face offs.

(Now on the down side one could criticize this as paying too little attention to the wing snipers who actually put the damn puck in the net.)

A good center, in my opinion, is much more than just a guy that gets faceoffs. I think he has to be able to be a presence in the slot with enough bulk and strength that he doesn't get pushed out, but also enough agility to move into the spaces that open up, especially higher between the circles. It seems to me we don't control the offensive slot, and haven't for a long time. No stats, just opinion. Also, I don't think faceoff differential in hockey has the same impact as it does in lacrosse, even though there are so many more of them in hockey. The exception may be on the penalty kill.

Date: March 07, 2013 03:08PM

jek86
in listening again Schafer specifically refers to "a couple of UPPERCLASSMEN" who came out not ready to play in the first period and were then benched for the 2nd and 3rd. He then threatened it will be the last time they wear a Cornell uniform if they come out to play like that again. Naturally I'm curious who he is referring to. Anybody notice who sat and is now skating on thin ice...so to speak..

You can check the video replay.

At Yale

Date: March 07, 2013 03:42PM

TimV
It seems to me we don't control the offensive slot, and haven't for a long time.

Ever since Yale destroyed us in the final that first time back in 2009, our strategy against teams with superior talent has been to turn the ice convex and force everything to the boards. This came out most spectacularly whenever we played Yale, but it was also true against the other quality offenses we faced. It seemed a sensible and intuitive way to compensate for lack of scoring punch, but during the middle part of this season it was as if the other ECAC coaches finally watched tape and decided that if we were going to give them everything between the hashmarks they'd take it gladly.

Beginning with the Princeton game at Lynah and then continuing through the mini-winning streak we stopped doing that and challenged and won the battle for the middle, even (amazingly) in our offensive zone.

Then in the first period at Ingalls we were back to our old habits. The coaching staff seems to regard that as laziness; at the time it looked like we curled up into a fetal position in stark terror.

Date: March 07, 2013 03:46PM

marty
jek86

At Yale

nice touch! thanks

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2013 03:47PM

Can you give me a time marker where I should look?nut

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 07, 2013 04:06PM

jek86
marty
jek86

At Yale

nice touch! thanks

I went back to see just how long Malcolm held his idiotic pose at the end of the game. It was only ten seconds but felt like an eternity with the scrum behind him (it's at 2:24:55 or so). Also good to see the video caught Schafer going right for the officials after the game. (2:25:47 or so).

Date: March 07, 2013 04:07PM

TimV
Can you give me a time marker where I should look?nut

Don't watch the whole damn game. You're too nice a guy for such punishment. Also her voice might cause a catatonic state.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2013 07:22PM

jek86
That's not a threat its a fact # DagsFault

Date: March 07, 2013 07:43PM

css228
jek86
That's not a threat its a fact # DagsFault

thanks, got it.. now I don't have to watch that game again and listen to that girl screaming SHOT!!

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 07, 2013 09:56PM

Are the "Cornell sections" still in the 101-104 area? Their online ticketing system is defaulting to the opposite corner -- 119. Presumably there will be plenty of room to move around.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 08, 2013 11:29PM

In +5 for tomorrow.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2013 12:31AM

Josh '99

On the plus side, you can go see an American klezmer/cabaret musician from Berlin: [ithacaevents.com] rock

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 09, 2013 01:06AM

Jordan 04
Are the "Cornell sections" still in the 101-104 area? Their online ticketing system is defaulting to the opposite corner -- 119. Presumably there will be plenty of room to move around.

Greenberg '97
billhoward

Will do, if I remember. We may make the trip Saturday if I can get out of work early enough, but it would be for tickets at the door.

Plenty of empty seats Friday night, with walk-up tickets still being sold when I arrived at faceoff. Hobey Baker Rink is the Cornell section.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 09, 2013 09:18AM

How about everyone coming to sections 102-105? That's the corner where the band is and where the team enters. We'd make a lot more sound if we were together.

Date: March 09, 2013 09:30PM

Was stuck at work, couldn't make the trip today. Will try for Q next weekend, but probably can't make RPI.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login