Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Wallowing

Posted by Trotsky 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wallowing
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 09, 2013 09:26PM

Trotsky
Thus endeth the wallowing.

No, no, no....I UNded it 2 nights ago.:-D

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 07:10PM

Well it was a nice rebound while it lasted.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 07:13PM

css228

Wow, you don't have any faith, do you?

Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 07:38PM

Well, here goes nothing...

Posted by: Ben (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 07:45PM

Jim Hyla
css228

An aggregate score of 2-8 over two games is, at the least, indicative of differences between the two sides.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 07:54PM

Ben
Jim Hyla
css228

An aggregate score of 2-8 over two games is, at the least, indicative of differences between the two sides.

To be fair, cornell is playing some of its best hockey of late and Q has been playing some of its worst (losses to AIC not withstanding). Q has never been in a position to coast down the stretch before turning it back on. Not all teams can do it.

It won't be easy for cornell to take two of three but it won't be easy for Q either. Looking forward to it.

Date: March 10, 2013 08:01PM

Jim Hyla
css228

It's just when you start irrationally believing when the strongest stomach punches come.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 08:22PM

css228
Jim Hyla
css228

It's just when you start irrationally believing when the strongest stomach punches come.

Yes, the stomach punches come (2005, 2006, 2009 to name a few). It just takes a lot of adult beverages to ease the pain, and having enough optimism to believe in next year.

My way of looking at it is that on the national stage, we are always going to be underdogs. Hope for the best, expect heartbreak, and enjoy the ride. (A very hot Cornell goalie would also help).

Date: March 10, 2013 08:56PM

css228
Jim Hyla
css228

But, saying what you did implies that it's over, that we have no hope. I disagree, I have some hope. I'm not irrationally believing, just some hope. I wouldn't do more than bet a drink on it. But then again, I don't bet. Put it this way. I'm comfortable enough to have used some of my Marriott points to get a hotel, to try and get tickets from CU tomorrow, and to "waste" my time driving there next weekend. I'll be bringing Snickers and newspapers. Care to join me?

If we win, I'll feel great. If we lose, I'll still have had a good time watching and supporting a team that has given me more than enough pleasure over the years. This team is not the greatest, but they are trying very hard right now. Coach has done a good job getting their heads back together again. Why should I give up on them now. Who knows, the best may be yet to come.

Date: March 10, 2013 09:50PM

Jim Hyla
css228
Jim Hyla
css228

But, saying what you did implies that it's over, that we have no hope. I disagree, I have some hope. I'm not irrationally believing, just some hope. I wouldn't do more than bet a drink on it. But then again, I don't bet. Put it this way. I'm comfortable enough to have used some of my Marriott points to get a hotel, to try and get tickets from CU tomorrow, and to "waste" my time driving there next weekend. I'll be bringing Snickers and newspapers. Care to join me?

If we win, I'll feel great. If we lose, I'll still have had a good time watching and supporting a team that has given me more than enough pleasure over the years. This team is not the greatest, but they are trying very hard right now. Coach has done a good job getting their heads back together again. Why should I give up on them now. Who knows, the best may be yet to come.
Think I'll stay in Ithaca and watch a team that didn't take two mid-season breaks.

Date: March 10, 2013 09:50PM

No place in particular to put this, but here's CHN's report on Jack Parker retiring.

Date: March 10, 2013 09:54PM

css228
Jim Hyla
css228
Jim Hyla
css228

Think I'll stay in Ithaca and watch a team that didn't take two mid-season breaks.

Nothing wrong with that. I started to write something snarky, but there's more than enough of that already. Enjoy yourself.

Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 11:34PM

css228
Jim Hyla
css228
Jim Hyla
css228

I'm fairly certain they didn't "take" any "breaks," as in, "stop trying," at any point this season. The effort was always there. I saw it when they lost to Harvard in the 7th game and when they lost to Princeton in the 15th game. Saying that they started taking breaks is uninformed sports fan/talking head translation for "They're losing and I don't know why, so I'm just going to assume they aren't trying." And if they did in fact stop trying, I'd prefer that to them actually being a .500 team, at least as far as giving them a chance against one of the best teams in the country goes.

Date: March 10, 2013 11:58PM

BearLover
css228
Jim Hyla
css228
Jim Hyla
css228

I'm fairly certain they didn't "take" any "breaks," as in, "stop trying," at any point this season. The effort was always there. I saw it when they lost to Harvard in the 7th game and when they lost to Princeton in the 15th game. Saying that they started taking breaks is uninformed sports fan/talking head translation for "They're losing and I don't know why, so I'm just going to assume they aren't trying." And if they did in fact stop trying, I'd prefer that to them actually being a .500 team, at least as far as giving them a chance against one of the best teams in the country goes.
Oh I can tell you exactly why they were losing. Being in the top 2 in penalty minutes combined with a horrendous penalty kill is a great start on that. Not putting the puck in the back of the net, poor puck movement, an anemic power play (result of said poor puck movement), an inability to win the neutral zone or even enter the zone with possession. Pick one. They're all more than valid reasons why we lost. But at some point a lot of it came down to a gigantic and talented team losing net front battles that it never should have, losing battles along the boards that it never should have, guys, who we know can move a puck at least with the competency of an ECHL player, making horrendous mental mistakes on breakouts. Honestly every last little thing that they could do to lose hockey games, they did for 6 weeks straight. And I will be the first to say even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally, or else it ceases to be a squirrel, but it sure ain't gonna find a nut twice in one weekend.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 09:57AM

BearLover
I'm fairly certain they didn't "take" any "breaks," as in, "stop trying," at any point this season. The effort was always there. I saw it when they lost to Harvard in the 7th game and when they lost to Princeton in the 15th game. Saying that they started taking breaks is uninformed sports fan/talking head translation for "They're losing and I don't know why, so I'm just going to assume they aren't trying."

Different people wallow in different ways. "Light the torches and march to the castle" is a pretty popular reaction. I've never cared for it, but it certainly doesn't have any effect on the team so, meh, whatever humps your camel. deadhorse

Schafer seemed to be concerned about players attempting to *over*-perform: straying outside their roles, taking the law into their own hands, trying to do too much. That's what he meant by "selfishness" -- putting faith in oneself and one's judgment before the team. This was particularly galling (and damaging) when the main offenders were upperclassmen, and the bad example could infect the younger players and start a multi-year chain reaction.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 10:09AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 11, 2013 01:10PM

Trotsky
BearLover
I'm fairly certain they didn't "take" any "breaks," as in, "stop trying," at any point this season. The effort was always there. I saw it when they lost to Harvard in the 7th game and when they lost to Princeton in the 15th game. Saying that they started taking breaks is uninformed sports fan/talking head translation for "They're losing and I don't know why, so I'm just going to assume they aren't trying."

Different people wallow in different ways. "Light the torches and march to the castle" is a pretty popular reaction. I've never cared for it, but it certainly doesn't have any effect on the team so, meh, whatever humps your camel. deadhorse

Schafer seemed to be concerned about players attempting to *over*-perform: straying outside their roles, taking the law into their own hands, trying to do too much. That's what he meant by "selfishness" -- putting faith in oneself and one's judgment before the team. This was particularly galling (and damaging) when the main offenders were upperclassmen, and the bad example could infect the younger players and start a multi-year chain reaction.

And I think he took care of that concern. People will undoubtably argue, but this may have been one of his better coaching years.

Let the posting begin.:-P

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 11, 2013 02:14PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky

And I think he took care of that concern. People will undoubtably argue, but this may have been one of his better coaching years.

That's hard for an outsider to judge. Was the long losing streak Schafer's fault because he didn't control or properly coach the guys? Or did he manage to take a group that doesn't have great makeup and convince them to play up to their talent level by the end of the season? Or something completely in between? I don't know.

I do know that he's not likely to get any acknowledgement for this being a good coaching year.

Date: March 11, 2013 02:33PM

Well, the bottom line for all of this is it is speculation -- nobody here knows anything. If you aren't a player, you don't know what happened. If you are a player, Christ, turn off the computer and work on the power play or something!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 02:43PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 02:39PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
BearLover

Eh. In general, I'd say that if he's coaching in public something isn't working in the locker room. That doesn't make it his fault but I wouldn't turn this year into a counterintuitive praisefest either.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 11, 2013 02:43PM

Trotsky
Well, the bottom line for all of this is it is speculation -- nobody here knows anything. If you aren't a player, you don't know what happened. If you are a player, Christ, turn off the computer and hit the weight room or something!

Shooter Tutor. They need to spend time finding the holes in the goal.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: March 11, 2013 03:12PM

KeithK
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

That's hard for an outsider to judge. Was the long losing streak Schafer's fault because he didn't control or properly coach the guys? Or did he manage to take a group that doesn't have great makeup and convince them to play up to their talent level by the end of the season? Or something completely in between? I don't know.

I do know that he's not likely to get any acknowledgement for this being a good coaching year.

If the team wins its next eight games, he might. innocent
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 03:13PM by Swampy.

Date: March 11, 2013 03:36PM

Does anyone else hate that the innocent emoticon looks like its rolling its eyes?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 11, 2013 04:03PM

Swampy
KeithK
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

If we win the next eight games I will praise the man as a coaching genius.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 11, 2013 04:05PM

KeithK
Swampy
KeithK
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

And wish him well in his new job at BU :-D

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 11, 2013 10:16PM

Chris '03
KeithK
Swampy
KeithK
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

And wish him well in his new job at BU :-D

I don't know if it came up here but the Nov./Dec. 2012 issue of Cornell Magazine had a short article about Schafer. It said his contract "expires in four years" and that his youngest kid would be finishing high school in 2016.

[cornellalumnimagazine.com]

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2013 11:03PM

nyc94

I don't know if it came up here but the Nov./Dec. 2012 issue of Cornell Magazine had a short article about Schafer. It said his contract "expires in four years" and that his youngest kid would be finishing high school in 2016.

[cornellalumnimagazine.com]

And interestingly there's a link on the page with the article to "The Lynah Faithful" which directs here to eLynah.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login