Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Pre-weekend

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Pre-weekend
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 01, 2013 01:54PM

Poll
Should there still be a PP after penalty shot?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
49 votes were received.
Yes 29

59%
No 20

41%

Found this and thought this is a good way to start discussion. From CHN article with HE Dir of Officials.

MM: This is more of an NCAA question, but now that you’ve seen this league for almost an entire season, and have seen the differences between the NHL and the NCAA, are there rule changes that you think the NCAA should consider?

Schachte: Not really. There are some small differences in the way the college game is played but I think we have a good handle on it. I would change some little housekeeping things, but that’s it. One, for example, would be the delayed penalty rule when it comes to penalty shots. If you call a minor, and the team scores on the delayed penalty, you keep the power play. But if you are going to call a penalty shot, and the guy scores, that’s the end of it. Why wouldn’t there still be a penalty served there after the goal? I think there are just some little things like that we need to clean up.

Interesting idea. I like it.

Re: Pre-weekend
Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2013 03:03PM

At the very least, the team should have the option of taking the penalty shot or just taking a regular power play. There are times when it's preferable to have the latter (up by a goal with under two minutes).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2013 03:30PM

I like it too.

Don't mention it to Bettman or he'll misread it and put a penalty shot after each power play.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2013 04:41PM

BearLover
At the very least, the team should have the option of taking the penalty shot or just taking a regular power play. There are times when it's preferable to have the latter (up by a goal with under two minutes).

I like the idea of the option for a shot or two minute penalty. It puts pressure on the coach - which could lead to some interesting and explosive possibilities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 04:42PM by marty.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2013 05:33PM

marty
BearLover

I like the idea of the option for a shot or two minute penalty. It puts pressure on the coach - which could lead to some interesting and explosive possibilities.

They already have that option. Section 4, Rule 25.1: "When any infraction of the rules calls for a penalty shot not involving a major, disqualification or misconduct penalty, the non-offending team shall be given the option of accepting the penalty shot or having a minor penalty assessed to the offending player...."

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2013 05:42PM

ACM
marty
BearLover

They already have that option. Section 4, Rule 25.1: "When any infraction of the rules calls for a penalty shot not involving a major, disqualification or misconduct penalty, the non-offending team shall be given the option of accepting the penalty shot or having a minor penalty assessed to the offending player...."

Does anyone remember a coach opting for the two minute minor? Is there a different entry in the official score record when the penalty shot is not taken?

Thanks, Arthur.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2013 06:05PM

marty
ACM
marty
BearLover

Does anyone remember a coach opting for the two minute minor?

We should consider it.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2013 06:08PM

Trotsky
marty
ACM
marty
BearLover

Does anyone remember a coach opting for the two minute minor?

We should consider it.

But that doesn't help unless we know how many opportunities. God knows our PP is also poor.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: March 01, 2013 07:37PM

Against Michigan in last year's NCAA Tournament, I would have taken the 2 minutes instead of a penalty shot for Locke Jillson. When Locke had the breakaway, Cornell was in the midst of killing an Armand deSwardt major penalty.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2013 09:38PM

I don't like the new rule where you get a PP after scoring on a delayed penalty either. And get off my lawn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login