Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

U @ Cornell - Senior Night 2013

Posted by sah67 
U @ Cornell - Senior Night 2013
Posted by: sah67 (---.sub-174-254-162.myvzw.com)
Date: February 23, 2013 05:54PM

Wayne Simpson, Union's leading scorer, will be a healthy scratch tonight along with Daniel Ciampini who plays on the top line with him.

Tonight's game is also a sell-out according to the ticket office.

Re: U @ Cornell - Senior Night 2013
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 06:36PM

sah67
Wayne Simpson, Union's leading scorer, will be a healthy scratch tonight along with Daniel Ciampini who plays on the top line with him.

Sounds like Bennett is doing what Schafer did against Brown.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2013 07:01PM

Interview w Union Coach Bennett on pregame show, talking about Schafer:

He's a very intense guy....if it came down to a bench clearing brawl it would be fun to mix it up with him."

That guy used to be an enforcer with the Rangers didn't he?uhoh

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 07:45PM

TimV
Interview w Union Coach Bennett on pregame show, talking about Schafer:

He's a very intense guy....if it came down to a bench clearing brawl it would be fun to mix it up with him."

That guy used to be an enforcer with the Rangers didn't he?uhoh
He was a left wing. He played 15 games for the Rangers over three years, picking up three minors and one major penalty. Most his pro time was spent in the AHL, then ECHL.
hockeyDB.com

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 09:30PM

I hope the band played The Farmer in the Dell when Kanji came in the game.

Date: February 23, 2013 09:53PM

Yale clinches the Ivy title tonight.

They still have a ways to go...

Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2013 01:37AM

Some bounces finally went Cornell's way this weekend. Solid effort and execution, but tonight easily could have gone the other way. Still too many stupid penalties. But I'm truly happy for and proud of the seniors.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-213-5.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2013 09:39AM

BearLover
.....Still too many stupid penalties.......

Lately, I've been recalling the early Schafer teams that I used to brag about. Those were the ones where the players were known for dropping their arms down by their sides and skating away from the pushing & shoving... I was so proud of those disciplined teams. Does anyone else recall those days?

Now, it seems that the players just can't resist the urge to stand in there & elevate the mood with their "yapping". I expect they justify some of it by thinking that they're inciting the opponents into penalties. But, the record shows it's clearly not working out well for them.

There is a solution to many of these penalties. Go back to the good old days, guys!!

Date: February 24, 2013 09:48AM

redice
Now, it seems that the players just can't resist the urge to stand in there & elevate the mood with their "yapping". I expect they justify some of it by thinking that they're inciting the opponents into penalties. But, the record shows it's clearly not working out well for them.
This is why Schafer calls these penalties "selfish." The players are indulging their desire to stand their ground rather than think of the big picture. Mix this with a team that dives and draws calls and then is lethal on the pp and we could have had a problem.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-9.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2013 10:02AM

Trotsky
redice
This is why Schafer calls these penalties "selfish." The players are indulging their desire to stand their ground rather than think of the big picture. Mix this with a team that dives and draws calls and then is lethal on the pp and we could have had a problem.

Last night Union was goading us with success . In addition one of the refs yelled at a Cornell player to get up after he might have taken a dive. Ugh.

Posted by: carpy85 (66.152.117.---)
Date: February 24, 2013 10:12AM

marty
Trotsky
redice

Last night Union was goading us with success . In addition one of the refs yelled at a Cornell player to get up after he might have taken a dive. Ugh.

I thought one of the Union guys pushed the Cornell player down. The ref wasn't shy at yelling at the Cornell player to get up because I could hear the ref all the way from Section F.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-9.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2013 10:30AM

Andy and his new mustache saved the game for us over and over. Some of his apparently meta-physical moves were both a joy and gut wrenching.

Too bad that the Red was finally scored on while short handed in the third. I was much too far from the west end to see it.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2013 11:08AM

marty
Andy and his new mustache saved the game for us over and over. Some of his apparently meta-physical moves were both a joy and gut wrenching.

Iles made a glove save shortly before Union scored their second goal that I thought might have been the save of the night. The guy in front of me was certain the shot wasn't actually on goal, and would have gone high and wide. Any opinions here on whether or not that shot would have found the top corner of the net or not if Andy had been a split-second slower?

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2013 11:28AM

andyw2100
Iles made a glove save shortly before Union scored their second goal that I thought might have been the save of the night. The guy in front of me was certain the shot wasn't actually on goal, and would have gone high and wide. Any opinions here on whether or not that shot would have found the top corner of the net or not if Andy had been a split-second slower?

I was in section G, behind and slightly to the left of the goal, and I'm pretty sure that shot had top-corner written all over it. Andy was going down or already down, and I'm still not sure how he Inspector-Gadgeted his glove up to snag that one.

Date: February 24, 2013 11:29AM

andyw2100
marty

That was an insanely quick move. It was headed for that corner and way too close to ignore. Andy saved it like one of those frogs splatting a bug with its tongue.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2013 12:00PM

Anyone who wonders what difference a coach can make just needs to look at Providence. Relatively quietly Leaman has taken them to the top of HE.

Also, a nice article in the NY Times about staying in school to finish both your schooling and your college career.

Date: February 24, 2013 01:13PM

Bizarre Lynah record for Cornell this year, with no splits of weekends.

In the ECAC:

2 4-point weekends
0 3-point
0 2-point
1 1-point
2 0-point

Add in the home sweep of CC and we're looking at a really weird histogram.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2013 01:15PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2013 01:17PM

andyw2100
marty

I had moved to Section C for the third and had perfect line-of-sight on that shot. It was definitely headed for the net.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2013 02:01PM

CowbellGuy
andyw2100
marty

I had moved to Section C for the third and had perfect line-of-sight on that shot. It was definitely headed for the net.

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. I was pretty sure it was on goal, but the guy in front of me was so sure it wasn't (and almost even a tad disparaging of my praise of the save) that I questioned my own opinion.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2013 04:08PM

I saw it clearly on Redcast. I bowed to my monitor, alone.

It was a ridiculous save.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login