Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell @ Hahvahd

Posted by flyersgolf 
Cornell @ Hahvahd
Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2013 10:55PM

Poll
Will Andy get another shutout before the end of the year?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
45 votes were received.
Yes 21

47%
No 24

53%

Game is advertised as being broadcast nationally. But only shows up on FCS Atlantic in my TV listings.
Beat Gate 4-1, without Jimmy Vesey and only dressed 5 defensemen Friday.

Re: Cornell @ Hahvahd
Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 08:48AM

The Fartmouth-cast last night was excellent.
Well, xcept for the hotty-totty-boombalotty doing color commentary.
Obviously not a Big Red fan.
But, her partner mentioned Lance Nethery!
Wow, there's a reference you don't hear every day!!
Here's hoping tonight's game plays as well!!!

cheer

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-70-215-15.myvzw.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 10:09AM

Johnny 5

Could you tell from the replay how close to being a high-stick Dartmouth's second goal was? We were behind the goal, with a good view of the play, and I thought it was a high-stick.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2013 10:10AM by andyw2100.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr1.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 10:13AM

andyw2100
Johnny 5

Could you tell from the replay how close to being a high-stick Dartmouth's second goal was? We were behind the goal, with a good view of the play, and I thought it was a high-stick.

The Dartmouth radio announcers also thought it was a high stick...and they were about as anti-Cornell as any I've heard.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-70-215-15.myvzw.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 10:19AM

After the refs came back on the ice after reviewing the play, declaring it a goal, I decided that perhaps I was basing my opinion on the height the stick reached, but that the contact with the puck could have been with the stick at a lower height. I'd really love to see the replay.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 10:40AM

andyw2100
After the refs came back on the ice after reviewing the play, declaring it a goal, I decided that perhaps I was basing my opinion on the height the stick reached, but that the contact with the puck could have been with the stick at a lower height. I'd really love to see the replay.
The angle of the TV camera was very much from above so you couldn't really tell.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 11:36AM

Johnny 5
cheer
The male announcer could have mentioned Harkness' first national championship, too. He's been around. Between them, the December-May announce team hit the checklist for top/worst hundred hockey cliches. Kind of make you happy to have Cornell's announcers. On quality of work relative to what they get paid, they're on par with Bob Costas.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 12:18PM

andyw2100

I wondered why they went to replay. I don't think they had a camera angle that would tell the difference. The TV camera, as Al mentioned, was too high an angle and the overhead was not going to tell. I suspect they did it just to say they tried.

Date: February 16, 2013 12:29PM

Jim Hyla
andyw2100

I wondered why they went to replay. I don't think they had a camera angle that would tell the difference. The TV camera, as Al mentioned, was too high an angle and the overhead was not going to tell. I suspect they did it just to say they tried.
Deftly put. Maybe we'll see crowd-sourced goal cameras one day. Like all the dashboard cameras in Siberia.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 12:39PM

Jim Hyla
andyw2100

Can't tell the angle is horrible till you look at the feed. Once they did they gave up and called it a goal:

2nd Green Goal

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 12:51PM

billhoward
Johnny 5
cheer
The male announcer could have mentioned Harkness' first national championship, too. He's been around. Between them, the December-May announce team hit the checklist for top/worst hundred hockey cliches. Kind of make you happy to have Cornell's announcers. On quality of work relative to what they get paid, they're on par with Bob Costas.
Best moment was when she proclaimed the Dias goal to be "a goal-scorer's goal" and they immediately put a graphic on the screen saying it was his first career goal.doh

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 01:03PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
Johnny 5
cheer
Best moment was when she proclaimed the Dias goal to be "a goal-scorer's goal" and they immediately put a graphic on the screen saying it was his first career goal.doh

She was easy on the eyes, but pretty brutal as a color commentator. Added very little in the way of insight.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 01:56PM

Is there video of the Cornell goals? I would really love to see the one where the puck was passed back to the player right at the top of the crease. I think it was the third goal.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 02:03PM

Anne 85
Is there video of the Cornell goals? I would really love to see the one where the puck was passed back to the player right at the top of the crease. I think it was the third goal.

For your viewing pleasure.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 02:29PM

That's perfect. Thank YOU! The goals looked a bit different from behind the net (and in my head), but all were very pretty, especially #1 and #3.

Date: February 16, 2013 02:42PM

This is great, right from the opener: "From a sold-out Thompson Arena ... " [hardly] and the color announcer's quip that the Dias (CU 2-0) goal a "goal-scorer's goal" followed quickly by the onscreen graphic "First career goal."

All 3 goals showed effort by Cornell and also the luck we haven't been having: Cornell got a 2 on 1 that resulted in a shot on goal and then Cornell was in position to (and did) tap home the reboun for goal #1.

Date: February 16, 2013 06:31PM

Audio is up right on time.

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 07:56PM

3 overtimes between Tulsa and Houston basketball game on FCS Atlantic, missed whole first period.

Posted by: Ben (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 09:04PM

Text from a Sucks student friend (her first hockey game): "Your school took over our arena."

Date: February 16, 2013 09:45PM

Welp. We outplayed them significantly, but it's a tie. Good news is we are playing better -- with a little luck (and one fewer quick whistle), we'd be on a 3-game winning streak.

The good news is all three teams directly above us lost, so even with the tie we picked up a point in the chase for 8th, and we picked up a remarkable 3 points on each of those teams this weekend.

Also, Cornell moves one step up to 10th (winning the H2H tiebreaker against Colgate).

08. 17 Prn: BRN, YAL, Drt, Hvd
09. 15 Brn: Prn, Qpc, Cor, Col
10. 13 Cor: RPI, UNI, Brn, Yal
11. 13 Col: UNI, RPI, Yal, Brn

That Princeton-Brown game throws a little bit of a wrench in it. I think we are Brown fans that night.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2013 10:22PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 09:46PM

Wonderful. You go Lynah East!!!

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 10:13PM

From Watching the game on TV at Lynah East, it did feel like a home game even with the Hvd announcers. Three point climb this weekend out of the pit. Two weekends to go. Let's Go RED!

Date: February 16, 2013 10:22PM

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 11:14PM

Anne 85
That's perfect. Thank YOU! The goals looked a bit different from behind the net (and in my head), but all were very pretty, especially #1 and #3.

Thank you for the goal reel clip. Goal #3 was my favorite. My parents dvr setting skills are on the decline and the recording started with 4:23 left in the second.. right before Dartmouth's first goal. Tonight it was that damn squeakball game screwing things up.

Date: February 17, 2013 07:31AM

Here is the Miller from MacDonald first period score.

Greg Miller - First Period

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 17, 2013 09:44AM

It was another great turnout by the Lynah Faithful at Lynah East. We really did deserve better than a tie, but the quick whistle on our apparent go-ahead goal was a bad break.
We had a lackluster stretch midway through the second period, but once we started throwing some checks, it seemed to pick up our play. Isles didn't get a lot of action, but came up with some huge saves in the third period, especially on a perfectly executed 3-on-2 by Harvard.
The first Harvard goal came after an ill-advised penalty in our offensive zone. On the ensuing penalty kill, one of our players had a chance to try to clear the puck, but instead left a drop pass for a teammate. An alert Harvard forward got to the puck first and started the sequence which led to the goal. The ice was terrible for much of the night, with players on both teams losing their edge, and that contributed to the second Harvard goal. Ryan had fallen earlier in the second period, but that was in the offensive zone. This time he lost his edge in our own end, losing the puck and giving Harvard a 2-on-1 which they capitalized on.
Hopefully, we can keep this level of play up the final few weekends of the regular season and pull off a win in the first round of the playoffs.

Date: February 17, 2013 12:24PM

Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2013 04:03PM

Jesus, what a horrible, horrible whistle...

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr1.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 17, 2013 04:58PM

BearLover

I was in section 1, so off to Girard's right, where we were screened from seeing the puck by Girard himself. Thought it was a quick whistle then, but seeing it from this angle, "horrible, horrible whistle," is about right.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 17, 2013 05:23PM

Killer
BearLover

I was in section 1, so off to Girard's right, where we were screened from seeing the puck by Girard himself. Thought it was a quick whistle then, but seeing it from this angle, "horrible, horrible whistle," is about right.

I figured it was the usual scrum/pileup in front of the net that we always wind up missing out on a goal with. Watching the replay, that... just sucks.

Date: February 17, 2013 06:48PM

Man, that is tough. Oh well. Just part of our "Stealth Strategy" to be the first team to win from below the 8 seed. :)

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2013 06:56PM

Trotsky
Man, that is tough. Oh well. Just part of our "Stealth Strategy" to be the first team to win from below the 8 seed. :)

They played well.
Three good games in a row.
'nuf said.

:-)

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2013 07:05PM

The announcer in the video said that the no-goal couldn't be reviewed. Why not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 07:05PM by jtn27.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2013 07:12PM

jtn27

Whistle blew.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2013 07:13PM

scoop85
jtn27

Whistle blew.
Well can't be reviewed is the wrong thing to say. Of course the play can be reviewed to see if the puck went in before the whistle. It can't be overturned even though that wasn't even debatably a dead puck. Just another case of ECAC officiating incompetence.

Date: February 17, 2013 07:15PM

css228
Just another case of ECAC officiating incompetence.
Not sure I would say that. Incompetence is when they misapply a rule. While unfortunate in this case, the rule is you blow the whistle when you lose sight of the puck. They can't overturn it because the play is dead. So they're stuck.

It's a wonder anybody still wants to be a referee in an age of cameras and replay.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2013 07:34PM

Trotsky
css228
Not sure I would say that. Incompetence is when they misapply a rule. While unfortunate in this case, the rule is you blow the whistle when you lose sight of the puck. They can't overturn it because the play is dead. So they're stuck.

It's a wonder anybody still wants to be a referee in an age of cameras and replay.
Incompetence is calling a play dead that had no business being called off by quick whistling. There is visible ice between the goaltender and the puck. The ref is in a terrible position to blow that play dead. Nothing short of an objectively terrible call to blow the play dead. Once the play is dead, there is nothing that can be done. But I could see from my seat with the band that that puck was loose as the whistle went. If I can tell through five rows of instruments, a referee should be able to put himself in a position on the ice where he can see clearly too.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2013 09:27PM

Killer
BearLover

Yep, but at least they were consistently horrible. I noticed during the 2nd Period one play where Iles was reaching to cover the puck off the far post where I swear the whistle blew as Iles's glove was still coming down and hadn't even landed on the ice yet. Just terrible with that all night.

Date: February 17, 2013 09:49PM

css228
Trotsky
css228

Incompetence is calling a play dead that had no business being called off by quick whistling. There is visible ice between the goaltender and the puck. The ref is in a terrible position to blow that play dead. Nothing short of an objectively terrible call to blow the play dead. Once the play is dead, there is nothing that can be done. But I could see from my seat with the band that that puck was loose as the whistle went. If I can tell through five rows of instruments, a referee should be able to put himself in a position on the ice where he can see clearly too.
What I was trying to say is there will often be a better angle, and the ref cannot be everywhere. Typically replay can be used to fix a call, but it's the nature of a stoppage call that it can't be "taken back."

If the ref "objectively" was in poor position relative to where he was supposed to be according to correct officiating practice then OK, I agree that's not competent. But if he was in poor position to make the call on that particular angle, on that particular play, then my sympathy is actually with him on this one. (Unless the rules give latitude to wait a beat even when you've lost sight of the puck if the goalie isn't in danger of being run. In which case then the whistle may have been "objectively" too quick.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 09:50PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: February 18, 2013 09:19AM

Hard to blame the ref on the whistle. The puck barely squirted away from Girard, and it's clear the angle was such that the ref never saw the puck. There was actually a poorer quick whistle on that same end. I forget when exactly, but Girard failed to cleanly swallow a Cornell shot, and a pretty decent rebound came out in front, but the play had been blown dead by the ref who presumably lost sight of the puck.

ETA: Did D'Agostino return after he left the ice limping? He looked to be in significant pain.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 09:38AM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: ugarte (63.115.136.---)
Date: February 18, 2013 12:25PM

My energy for lamenting quick whistles was almost completely sapped in 1990 and disappeared in 2011 at MSG.

Date: February 18, 2013 03:22PM

ugarte
My energy for lamenting quick whistles was almost completely sapped in 1990 and disappeared in 2011 at MSG.

1990?

Posted by: munchkin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2013 09:45PM

ugarte

Yes. I watched him do a little test skate in a little loop in front of the bench during a stopage, then he went out the next shift. He was out for probably 4-5 shifts plus a TV timeout.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2013 10:05PM

Trotsky
ugarte

1990?
Am I forgetting the year of the ECAC semi against RPI?

Date: February 19, 2013 06:42AM

ugarte
Trotsky
ugarte

1990?
No, but I don't remember a quick whistle, I remember Ross Lemon.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 07:40AM

Trotsky
ugarte
Trotsky
ugarte

1990?
No, but I don't remember a quick whistle, I remember Ross Lemon.
Both happened. Trent Andison's putback goal was waved off even though the puck was never covered.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login