Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

PU @ CU

Posted by flyersgolf 
PU @ CU
Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 05:30PM

I was at this match up in early Novemer. Princeton played out of their minds, scoring a couple incredible goals. Princeton shot a lot at Iles head. Lot of cheap shots by Princeton, especially around the benches during changes, one I was afraid would put Ferlin out for a long while. This is an interesting game to see if the boxes are not filled most of the game. The referees let the first one get out of control. Best cheer after goal scored, The Condon broke!

Re: PU @ CU
Posted by: Ben (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 05:39PM

Princeton's PP is fifth in the country and their PK is ninth. We need to keep this 5x5, but knowing this team, we won't.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 05:57PM by Ben.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 05:48PM

flyersgolf
I was at this match up in early Novemer. Princeton played out of their minds, scoring a couple incredible goals. Princeton shot a lot at Iles head. Lot of cheap shots by Princeton, especially around the benches during changes, one I was afraid would put Ferlin out for a long while. This is an interesting game to see if the boxes are not filled most of the game. The referees let the first one get out of control. Best cheer after goal scored, The Condon broke!
Unfortunately Condons tend to have about a 95% success rate when used correctly. Given our teams impotence, I'm not optimistic.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 05:48PM by css228.

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 05:58PM

I really enjoy the the sarcasm and satirical comments made. 25 years out of Cornell, I can tell you we have the best sense of humor of all the ivies.

Date: February 09, 2013 05:59PM

flyersgolf
I really enjoy the the sarcasm and satirical comments made. 25 years out of Cornell, I can tell you we have the best sense of humor of all the ivies.
Come to rows 4 & 5 of B tonight near the aisle with C and you'll hear a lot more.

Posted by: MattS (---.sub-174-252-49.myvzw.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 06:38PM

Ben
flyersgolf
Come to rows 4 & 5 of B tonight near the aisle with C and you'll hear a lot more.

Middle of section M isn't too bad at satire either.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 07:08PM

A few down years of Cornell hockey will do wonders for the quality of the cheering, because all the facetimers will stay home. That might even be worth it, if I were there to witness it in person.

Posted by: MattS (---.sub-174-252-49.myvzw.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 07:34PM

At least they aren't losing after 1.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 07:35PM by MattS.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 08:57PM

This is actually not a terrible showing by Cornell. They look like 06-07. A team I hated but much better than the last few months.

They dominate the puck, don't give up any good chances, get a few chances per game, and we just hope they get one in. Cornell hockey!

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 09:10PM

What frustration. We have the edge in every category, have a number of excellent chances, and can't put one home for our lives. I've been following Cornell hockey for a long time, and I've never seen a more bizarre season unfold.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 09:15PM

The refs completely screwed us at the end. Hilbrich had his hands down and didn't even get half of the guy on the "boarding," and Axell's trip was after he had been tripped himself. Idiocy.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 09:26PM

On the plus we hold them to 0 shots in the third and with a minute left that was the loudest Lynah has been in awhile.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 09:29PM

This was a moral victory if there ever was one. Wish I were in Ithaca to commiserate at chappie's

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 09:36PM

Scersk '97
The refs completely screwed us at the end. Hilbrich had his hands down and didn't even get half of the guy on the "boarding," and Axell's trip was after he had been tripped himself. Idiocy.

Can it be that ever ref in every venue has a secret vendetta against us or is our approach to the game 20 years old. The Nile is a river in Egypt as well.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 09:38PM

Looks like the quest for the program record consecutive losses continues. 5 more to go.

Date: February 09, 2013 09:47PM

Towerroad
Scersk '97

Can it be that ever ref in every venue has a secret vendetta against us or is our approach to the game 20 years old. The Nile is a river in Egypt as well.

Did that knee hit you in the face when it jerked? Did you even watch the game?

The refs screwed us at the end of what was otherwise a frustrating but entertaining game, played mostly in Princeton's end. Numerous odd-man rushes just didn't go our way. Condon played very well, saving Princeton's bacon. Take a look at the box. Those 39 weren't bombers from the outside.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 10:12PM

We dominated. I have no idea how we failed to score 4 or 5, let alone the 2 that were needed.

This weekend was not the self-sabotage of the prior weekend, nor the apathy of the Brown loss. Obviously with time slipping away the situation is terrible, but this weekend at least the effort and execution were not -- only the finishing.

I think it's 60/40 that this squad can get its act together in time to be a real pain in somebody's ass in the tournament. If we really are heading for a 9-12 finish, as the cold equations are starting to indicate, perhaps we can make some history as an underdog.

Two things did worry me this weekend. (1) Ferlin has lost speed and agility. He's still strong, but the parallels wtih Vinnie Auger are ominous. (2) What is wrong with Axell? Tonight in particular he played like a guy with food poisoning, the flu, and a urinary tract infection. He was awful, and I am used to him being splendid. If he had a history of being a headcase I would worry he had checked out. But he doesn't, and I worry there is something physically wrong.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 10:14PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 10:30PM

Scersk '97

I saw it the same way on each penalty. However, in 2013 the team is 0-4 at Lynah, with an aggregate score of 3-11. In the past 206:10 at home they've scored one goal from 98 shots on goal, giving opposing goalies in that stretch a save % of 98.98. Cornell's problems have nothing to do with the refs.

What's happened to students chanting "townies up" at the end of games? Has it been banned?

Date: February 09, 2013 10:34PM

ithacat
What's happened to students chanting "townies up" at the end of games? Has it been banned?

I heard it each night.

The boarding call was legit. The other, well, I didn't see it that way through Carnelian hued spectacles.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 10:35PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 10:45PM

Trotsky
(2) What is wrong with Axell? Tonight in particular he played like a guy with food poisoning, the flu, and a urinary tract infection. He was awful, and I am used to him being splendid.

Not to mention the coaching decision to play him on the point on the PP (and tonight wasn't the first time) when he has neither the big, powerful shot to be effective from there nor the playmaking ability to set things up.

Speaking of the powerplay, it seems like we're lacking so many of the weapons that used to make us so deadly on the man-advantage, like the aforementioned big blast from the point (ala Doug Murray, Mike Devin or Brendon Nash), or a big body in front of the net creating havoc with deflections and rebound goals (Greening, Sawada, Bâby). It also seems like we're setting up guys like McCarron for one-timers from the faceoff dots despite the fact that they miss the net over and over, whereas guys like Barlow, Gallagher, and Joe Devin had much better accuracy and would score repeatedly and far more often from that same position.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 10:46PM by sah67.

Date: February 09, 2013 10:56PM

sah67
or a big body in front of the net creating havoc with deflections and rebound goals (Greening, Sawada, Bâby)

Hillbrich is the guy they used for that tonight, and I liked what I saw. Very rough, but he crashed the net when he had the puck and he did raise a ruckus ("a ruckus, sir?" "Could you describe the ruckus?" ) when he was out front. He isn't a complete player and there are things he does that are painful to watch, but I think he could be an effective guy both for screens and rebounds. As he becomes more comfortable he'll be tough to muscle out from the front.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 10:58PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 11:07PM

sah67
Trotsky
(2) What is wrong with Axell? Tonight in particular he played like a guy with food poisoning, the flu, and a urinary tract infection. He was awful, and I am used to him being splendid.

Not to mention the coaching decision to play him on the point on the PP (and tonight wasn't the first time) when he has neither the big, powerful shot to be effective from there nor the playmaking ability to set things up.

Speaking of the powerplay, it seems like we're lacking so many of the weapons that used to make us so deadly on the man-advantage, like the aforementioned big blast from the point (ala Doug Murray, Mike Devin or Brendon Nash), or a big body in front of the net creating havoc with deflections and rebound goals (Greening, Sawada, Bâby). It also seems like we're setting up guys like McCarron for one-timers from the faceoff dots despite the fact that they miss the net over and over, whereas guys like Barlow, Gallagher, and Joe Devin had much better accuracy and would score repeatedly and far more often from that same position.

I have to completely disagree with both of you on Axell. I thought his game was OK, and the PP was one of the best this season. We had great control, with a lot of chances. I suspect we'll see more of him on the PP. We don't have great shooters, but we hit, what 2, or according to the post-game, 3 irons. They scored on an unbelieveable shot. If we had a couple of our irons go in and their's go out, we'd all be celebrating. I can't imagine what the lockerroom must have been like after the game. I hope like hell they can find a way to keep up this kind of play. If so, we still have some fun ahead.

Towerroad
is our approach to the game 20 years old.

I can't believe it would be said that we're playing like 20 years ago. My god, after this game it's said? Oh well, last week it was Iles, yesterday Dags, so I guess today it had to be something.

Date: February 09, 2013 11:20PM

Jim Hyla
and the PP was one of the best this season. We had great control, with a lot of chances. I suspect we'll see more of him on the PP. We don't have great shooters, but we hit, what 2, or according to the post-game, 3 irons. They scored on an unbelieveable shot. If we had a couple of our irons go in and their's go out, we'd all be celebrating. I can't imagine what the lockerroom must have been like after the game. I hope like hell they can find a way to keep up this kind of play. If so, we still have some fun ahead.

I agree with you completely on the overall pp. This was the pp we have been missing for the last 2 years -- it was extremely effective and produced a ridiculous number of great chances.

Date: February 09, 2013 11:21PM

sah67
Speaking of the powerplay, it seems like we're lacking so many of the weapons that used to make us so deadly on the man-advantage, like the aforementioned big blast from the point (ala Doug Murray, Mike Devin or Brendon Nash), or a big body in front of the net creating havoc with deflections and rebound goals (Greening, Sawada, Bâby).

Wherefore art thou, second coming of Paolini?

What I wouldn't give for a great garbageman; indeed, with all the constant hand wringing over lacking snipers, I think we've had more snipers than garbagemen. To my mind, no point in the big slappah when there's no one there to pick up the rebound.

Along those lines, why isn't McCarron planted in the crease, never to leave? He seems to have the correct attitude and the appropriate nasty streak. Tosses in wristers, sometimes on the backhand. I don't get it. We seemed to be working on a more "below-the-dots," low triangle type power play earlier in the season--actually, saw quite a bit of it in person at the first Princeton game--but that's disappeared in favor of the ol' Umbrella, which seems to put a lot of pressure on our already suspect points. The decline of the power play is my one bugaboo with regard to coaching in the last few years, i.e., definitely after Brekke left and even a bit after Russell left.

Yet, looking ahead into positivity and the future, I've also started to note how quick Hilbrich is with his stick. When he's deep forechecking, I've seen him screw up many a pass with a wrap-around swipe. Seems to be able to make up for a slight lack of foot speed. (A la... Paolini.) Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps he'll develop into what we've needed.

Date: February 09, 2013 11:22PM

I was annoyed after the Brown loss. Tonight just frustrated.

Date: February 10, 2013 12:24AM

Trotsky
The boarding call was legit. The other, well, I didn't see it that way through Carnelian hued spectacles.

Because I like to torture myself, I went back and looked at the "tape."

Hilbrich's Board: Ennnnnnnhhhh... maybe. He did go in a bit out-of-control; after the check, he's on one skate. Made a huge smacking sound, but I think that was a stick. I hate the new glass. (I know, it's old by now, but it's still "new" to me.)

Axell's Trip: He was reaching for the puck and tripped a guy he couldn't have known was there, considering that he was already on his way down. It didn't take away a scoring opportunity from Princeton. Would've been the right time of the game not to call anything, given that no one was maimed.

(BTW, Mihalek nearly got his head taken off after taking a shot on a play right before that. Where's the call there? Definitely CTH-elbowing. And then Lowry was completely tripped/interfered with on D'Agostino's last rush, ending up in the net and taking away a great scoring chance.)

Mowrey in the 1st: Complete phantom call from the Redcast camera angle. Mowrey looks completely surprised that it was him rather than someone else.

So, can you complain about reffing in a game where you have a two more power plays than the other guy? Yeah. Or at least I can. But I suppose I'm a whiner.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 08:41AM

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the guys have been playing with or through illness the last two weekends. Students have been missing a lot of class, but I don't have any hockey players in my classes this spring to confirm that the hockey team has fallen victim.

Date: February 10, 2013 08:55AM

dag14
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the guys have been playing with or through illness the last two weekends. Students have been missing a lot of class, but I don't have any hockey players in my classes this spring to confirm that the hockey team has fallen victim.

They didn't play like a team with players battling illness last night. They played like a team that's snakebit.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 09:28AM

Trotsky
ithacat

I heard it each night.

Watched the end of the game again and I think the Hilbrich call was a weak one. He gets his shoulder in front of the guy and stands him up and they both slide shoulder first into the boards. The Axell call was legit. Axell skates through a trip but afterward loses his edge and goes down before tripping the PU skater. I'll admit to being ridiculously biased when it comes to the officials. :)

Glad I wasn't the only one confused by the high stick call that led to a center ice FO.

I did hear on replay two or three townies up. Not hearing it at all over in H...it's the kind of season that is now about the little things.

Posted by: ScrewBU (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 10:11AM

Scersk '97
Towerroad
Scersk '97

Did that knee hit you in the face when it jerked? Did you even watch the game?

The refs screwed us at the end of what was otherwise a frustrating but entertaining game, played mostly in Princeton's end. Numerous odd-man rushes just didn't go our way. Condon played very well, saving Princeton's bacon. Take a look at the box. Those 39 weren't bombers from the outside.

Take another look at the box. See that goose egg next to Cornell?

Date: February 10, 2013 10:21AM

Trotsky
We dominated. I have no idea how we failed to score 4 or 5, let alone the 2 that were needed.

This weekend was not the self-sabotage of the prior weekend, nor the apathy of the Brown loss. Obviously with time slipping away the situation is terrible, but this weekend at least the effort and execution were not -- only the finishing.

I think it's 60/40 that this squad can get its act together in time to be a real pain in somebody's ass in the tournament. If we really are heading for a 9-12 finish, as the cold equations are starting to indicate, perhaps we can make some history as an underdog.

Two things did worry me this weekend. (1) Ferlin has lost speed and agility. He's still strong, but the parallels wtih Vinnie Auger are ominous. (2) What is wrong with Axell? Tonight in particular he played like a guy with food poisoning, the flu, and a urinary tract infection. He was awful, and I am used to him being splendid. If he had a history of being a headcase I would worry he had checked out. But he doesn't, and I worry there is something physically wrong.
Given that every shot was straight to Condon's chest protector, its not schoking we couldn't score.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 10:36AM by css228.

Date: February 10, 2013 10:26AM

BMac
This is actually not a terrible showing by Cornell. They look like 06-07. A team I hated but much better than the last few months.

They dominate the puck, don't give up any good chances, get a few chances per game, and we just hope they get one in. Cornell hockey!

It sure did seem like 06-07. Same strategy (loads of shots, bodies in front, responsible defense, impotent PP), same result (no goals and no W,) same comments on the forums (we won in every category but the end result. the refs screwed us.) That "system" stopped working (I don't think it ever really did, at least against the better teams) why did the coaching staff think it would magically start working again? It won't. Need new coaches. Could not be any clearer.

Date: February 10, 2013 10:29AM

css228
Trotsky

Given that every shot was straight to Condon's chest protector, its not schoking we could score.

It seems like they can only either shoot the puck 2 feet wide or directly into the goalie's chest. And what kind of shot did Princeton score on?

Date: February 10, 2013 11:10AM

css228
Given that every shot was straight to Condon's chest protector, its not schoking we couldn't score.

However much I appreciate your creative portmanteau (I can only assume) of "shocking" and "choking," I can't agree.

Take off your jaundiced glasses and watch the game. Great game; poor result.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 11:35AM

sah67
What I wouldn't give for a great garbageman; indeed, with all the constant hand wringing over lacking snipers, I think we've had more snipers than garbagemen. To my mind, no point in the big slappah when there's no one there to pick up the rebound.

Better yet, it'd be wonderful to have a great sniper who's also a great garbageman... Matt Moulson is the name that comes to mind.

Date: February 10, 2013 02:47PM

Scersk '97
css228

However much I appreciate your creative portmanteau (I can only assume) of "shocking" and "choking," I can't agree.

Take off your jaundiced glasses and watch the game. Great game; poor result.
They're just trying to keep us entertained by finding many different ways to lose games.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 03:37PM

css228
Trotsky

That wasn't true of the PU game. There were a lot of those shots, sure, but our best chances were the many, many situations where the goalie was down and out and the puck was sitting in the crease between four sets of skates while the players all battled to get a stick down. We *never* managed to come up with the little wrist flick in that situation. That was what really doomed us.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 03:39PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 10, 2013 04:07PM

So, we're not different than years ago? When did we outshhot our opponent 39-12? Hmmm. When did we have as free-wheeling offensive strategy as was seen? Did you see our defensemen going deep into the corners? All teams do, and did, that somewhat, but coach has asked them to specifically do it and they are aggressive about it. That is different than how we used to play.

All shots into the chest protector? What about the 3 that clanged off iron? Sure they don't count in the stats as shots, but... Princeton scored on one great shot, just inside the post and just below the crossbar. I'd take our effort and game plan before PU's any evening. If we can play like that every game, I'll enjoy watching and take our chances. If we lose every game but have that type of effort, I'll be unhappy but still proud. PU must have felt they had the right gods on their side and I'm sure they all felt they stole a game.

Hopefully the way the team is responding, after coach sat players down for dumb penalties, will silence those who thought he was too blame.

I'm always the optimist, but I do think we have a lot of good hockey left. My only concern is the team losing mental focus after so many lost games. They certainly didn't last night and played three solid periods. If we're on the road for the playoffs, do you think that PU wants us to be their opponent?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 04:29PM

Losing to Princeton, we flipped the Tigers from T-8 in the ECAC to T-3. Cornell also needs to sweep Union and RPI to avoid a losing RS record at home (now 4-5-2). (A win and tie would do it, too.) We win out the last four games, we'd have 18 points, which would call for an amazing collapse by RPI or Princeton to keep us from playing in week one.

Schools  	Pts	Conf	All
Quinnipiac	30	14-0-2	21-3-4
Yale    	19	9-5-1	13-6-3
Princeton	17	7-6-3	9-10-4
Rensselaer	17	7-6-3	12-11-5
St. Lawrence	16	6-6-4	13-11-4
Dartmouth	16	7-6-2	11-8-3
Union   	16	6-6-4	13-10-5
Clarkson	15	6-7-3	7-14-7
Colgate 	13	5-8-3	13-11-4
Brown   	13	4-6-5	8-9-5
Cornell  	10	4-10-2	8-13-2
Harvard 	6	3-12	5-15-1

Date: February 10, 2013 04:55PM

jtn27
Looks like the quest for the program record consecutive losses continues. 5 more to go.
Not even close. The record is 19 (1960).

Date: February 10, 2013 05:13PM

I see no reason to expect that this team will put together anything resembling a consistent run for the rest of the season. Even if you assume that last night's effort was sufficient to accumulate the 8-10 points* needed to secure home ice in the first round, this team has been anything but consistent. The most consistent run of the season so far was between Dartmouth and SLU at home, but three of those games were at home and both Michigan and Clarkson were in bad patches.

*Looking at the standings listed on the ECAC site from the last few years, the 8th-placed team has finished the regular season with between 18 and 21 points.

Date: February 10, 2013 05:31PM

This is what I feel like the optimists are saying to me

Date: February 10, 2013 05:43PM

Trotsky
jtn27

I looked at that exact chart. I'm not sure how I missed that long black streak. I was thinking 92-93's 11 straight was the record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 05:44PM by jtn27.

Date: February 10, 2013 05:44PM

Ben
*Looking at the standings listed on the ECAC site from the last few years, the 8th-placed team has finished the regular season with between 18 and 21 points.

Mean for 8th place is 19.0.

A this point I'm not assuming home ice in the first round, and playing at Lynah doesn't seem to particularly matter this year. I think we will go into the playoffs wanting to atone for a terrible RS, and whoever we wind up playing will not enjoy the experience.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 05:48PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 10, 2013 05:45PM

jtn27
Trotsky
jtn27

I looked at that exact chart. I'm not sure how I missed that long black streak. I was thinking 92-93's 11 straight was the record.
Nah, I just added 1901-1963. :)

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 06:20PM

:-/But... for such a collapse by RIP or P to happen, other teams ahead of us would get points too. We're playing in the first round, no question. We need to win out to have a chance at playing that round at home - and that also involves too many losses to realistically happen to all the teams ahead of us. I can only hope we play at RPI or Union so I can see a couple more games.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 06:32PM

TimV
:-/But... for such a collapse by RIP or P to happen, other teams ahead of us would get points too. We're playing in the first round, no question. We need to win out to have a chance at playing that round at home - and that also involves too many losses to realistically happen to all the teams ahead of us. I can only hope we play at RPI or Union so I can see a couple more games.

And I pray that if this comes to pass that we play Onion. As for RIP they have come back from the dead -you don't need to be Greg to realize that the engineers are on one hell of a hot streak.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 06:39PM

I can't help but feel RPI's gotten lucky in the same way we've gotten unlucky. I see three, maybe 4 more losses for them. Union's got more talent.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 07:39PM

I still think we'll make the playoffs.

Date: February 10, 2013 08:17PM

Jordan 04
I still think we'll make the playoffs.

I'm not so sure.

Date: February 10, 2013 08:23PM

It's time for a playoff script.:-)Do you know anyone?:-}

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 10:42PM

I want Princeton. After that last game, there's no reason why we wouldn't advance. After that, avoid the Q, and its really a crap shoot to get back to boardwalk hall. Obviously, this is the extreme optimist inside me speaking currently.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: February 10, 2013 10:55PM

toddlose
I want Princeton. After that last game, there's no reason why we wouldn't advance. After that, avoid the Q, and its really a crap shoot to get back to boardwalk hall. Obviously, this is the extreme optimist inside me speaking currently.

In the mid-2000s it felt like Harvard made a habit of fielding talented teams that under-performed their way to road playoff series only to run off one impressive playoff run after another (before inevitably losing to maine in the ncaas). This team is arguably talented enough to follow that script. If they duplicate last night's effort twice next week, there's at least hope for an enjoyable playoff run that lasts more than two nights.

Date: February 11, 2013 01:33AM

c.f.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2013 06:26AM

Trotsky
c.f.

OK, but *they* didn't get shut out... panic

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 02:41PM

toddlose

There's a very big gap between Q and the rest of the conference right now. 12 can't avoid going through Q to get to AC, while 7 or better is Q-free before the SF. Moral: aim for 7.

Unfortunately, with the current 7 at .500 and us 6 (!) games under .500 in conference, we need a 5-1 record to have even a sniff at 7.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 02:45PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 11, 2013 05:35PM

Trotsky
toddlose

There's a very big gap between Q and the rest of the conference right now. 12 can't avoid going through Q to get to AC, while 7 or better is Q-free before the SF. Moral: aim for 7.

Unfortunately, with the current 7 at .500 and us 6 (!) games under .500 in conference, we need a 5-1 record to have even a sniff at 7.

You are assuming that there won't be any upsets in the preliminary games. Even if we stay at 11, if both Harvard and us win through the playoffs, then Harvard ends up playing Q, as they will be the lowest seed. Not that I wouldn't be happy being 7, but do the best we can and hope there are other upsets.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 06:41PM

Jim Hyla

You are assuming that there won't be any upsets in the preliminary games. Even if we stay at 11, if both Harvard and us win through the playoffs, then Harvard ends up playing Q, as they will be the lowest seed. Not that I wouldn't be happy being 7, but do the best we can and hope there are other upsets.
I haven't looked this up to verify it, but I can't recall a year in the past decade or so where there wasn't at least one upset in the preliminary games.

Date: February 11, 2013 07:21PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
toddlose

I actually started out writing that because there is a big lump of similar teams in the middle 1R upset are probably more likely this year. :) I decided to keep it simple in the end.

Date: February 11, 2013 07:24PM

dbilmes
Jim Hyla

I haven't looked this up to verify it, but I can't recall a year in the past decade or so where there wasn't at least one upset in the preliminary games.

I'm not where I can write up an analysis at the moment, but here is the raw data.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 07:29PM

Trotsky
dbilmes
Jim Hyla

I'm not where I can write up an analysis at the moment, but here is the raw data.

Under the current format (since 2003), there were no first round upsets on two occasions (2007, 2008). The record of each higher seed -
#5: 8-2
#6: 5-5
#7: 5-5
#8: 6-4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login