Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Heading to the North Country

Posted by mha 
Heading to the North Country
Posted by: mha (---.campuslife.cornell.edu)
Date: January 29, 2013 12:17PM

I was planning on skipping the North Country trip this year, but a friend at St. Lawrence's university communications office has booked me as a guest speaker during their big focus on social media for student athletes this week, and the timing is perfect!

Anyone want to split the hotel room? Second bed is up for grabs.

Re: Heading to the North Country
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2013 01:17PM

mha
I was planning on skipping the North Country trip this year, but a friend at St. Lawrence's university communications office has booked me as a guest speaker during their big focus on social media for student athletes this week, and the timing is perfect!

Anyone want to split the hotel room? Second bed is up for grabs.
Social media for athletes. What ever could go wrong with that combo?

Date: January 29, 2013 02:00PM

billhoward

Yeah, that's pretty much the point. ;-)

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: January 29, 2013 02:35PM

Are they giving you a twitter jersey for your efforts?

[www.stlawu.edu]

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-13.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2013 02:42PM

mha
billhoward

Yeah, that's pretty much the point. ;-)

Will you be quoting Mike?

Date: January 29, 2013 03:10PM

Chris '03

I thought about asking for some Saints garb, but much as I like free swag, I can't imagine a situation in which I'd actually wear it. I guess maybe I'd wear SLU gear during the Saints vs Clarkson women's game.

Posted by: Weder (---.atlanta.hp.com)
Date: January 29, 2013 03:59PM

Chris '03

[www.stlawu.edu]

That's interesting, because the men's basketball team at Akron had a similar idea rejected by the NCAA.

Posted by: mha (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2013 11:28PM

Weder
Chris '03

That's interesting, because the men's basketball team at Akron had a similar idea rejected by the NCAA.

Yup. It's been quite a topic of discussion up here. Turns out Akron ran afoul of a rule that applies only to basketball. The hoops rulebook has specific restrictions on what can be on the jersey that the hockey rulebook simply doesn't have. SLU has NCAA approval for the plan.

Also, if anyone's driving up I-81, don't get off at Exit 45 (Route 3) and go through Watertown. Don't get off at Exit 48 for Route 342 to Route 11. Go just a little farther north on 81 and then take the shiny new I-781 connector from Exit 48A! You don't get to skip all of the little towns and traffic lights on Route 11, but you do chop off a good bit of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 11:28PM by mha.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 07:27AM

mha
Weder
Chris '03

Yup. It's been quite a topic of discussion up here. Turns out Akron ran afoul of a rule that applies only to basketball. The hoops rulebook has specific restrictions on what can be on the jersey that the hockey rulebook simply doesn't have. SLU has NCAA approval for the plan.

Also, if anyone's driving up I-81, don't get off at Exit 45 (Route 3) and go through Watertown. Don't get off at Exit 48 for Route 342 to Route 11. Go just a little farther north on 81 and then take the shiny new I-781 connector from Exit 48A! You don't get to skip all of the little towns and traffic lights on Route 11, but you do chop off a good bit of it.

You're sure it's open? It shows on Google maps, but when I ask for directions to Canton, they still push me thru 342 and they won't let me change it to the new interstate. Mapquest still goes thru W'town, but will let me change it to I-781. They say it's slower however.panic

Posted by: SLU65 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 03:13PM

Traveling to the N.C. from points south and west can entail white knuckle drives
involving the snow belt combined w/ small town traffic/school buses and minimal
opportunities to pass on Route

The new connector will scarcely make a dent if you are seeking to avoid the small towns
in that the I781 exit off 81 is only .7 mile above the normal exit (Route 342 east)
for Route 11 and points north.

The best shortcut is to avoid the Village of Canton entirely entirely by taking Eddy-Pyrites
Road (just south of Canton). This will take you east to the bridge over the Grasse River (dont cross)
where you veer left (Miner Street) which takes you directly to Appleton and parking lot. This Will save you
at least 10-15 minutes on the return leg southward as you will avoid ALL traffic.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 31, 2013 04:04PM

As is typical of any drive, but particularly when it involves inclement weather and no pass roads, there is no problem other than the risk that the occasional leadfoot idiot young male trying to pass you will cause an accident.

If the driver is a leadfoot idiot young male, the risk is constant, but we can hope he piles into something in his own parking lot before he ever gets on the road.

(This is of course not addressed to any eLynah viewer, since they are all superlative drivers and human beings.)

Posted by: mha (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 04:57PM

Jim Hyla

You're sure it's open? It shows on Google maps, but when I ask for directions to Canton, they still push me thru 342 and they won't let me change it to the new interstate. Mapquest still goes thru W'town, but will let me change it to I-781. They say it's slower however.panic

Positive, Jim! I just drove it yesterday. I'm sure it doesn't save a huge amount of time, but it does bypass some silliness.

SLU65
The best shortcut is to avoid the Village of Canton entirely entirely by taking Eddy-Pyrites
Road (just south of Canton). This will take you east to the bridge over the Grasse River (dont cross)
where you veer left (Miner Street) which takes you directly to Appleton and parking lot. This Will save you
at least 10-15 minutes on the return leg southward as you will avoid ALL traffic.

I've heard about this route but I must've gotten it wrong on my first couple of tries. Not as relevant this weekend, since the Saturday night game is at Cheel, rather than Appleton, and I'm already in town.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 05:05PM

Trotsky
As is typical of any drive, but particularly when it involves inclement weather and no pass roads, there is no problem other than the risk that the occasional leadfoot idiot young male trying to pass you will cause an accident.

If the driver is a leadfoot idiot young male, the risk is constant, but we can hope he piles into something in his own parking lot before he ever gets on the road.

(This is of course not addressed to any eLynah viewer, since they are all superlative drivers and human beings.)
Because none of eLynah viewers have ever driven home from the North Country through complete white conditions without ever slowing below 50 mph. Or driven to Lake Placid along icy, windy mountain roads at 70mph. Absolutely none of us.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 05:52PM

mha
Jim Hyla

Positive, Jim! I just drove it yesterday. I'm sure it doesn't save a huge amount of time, but it does bypass some silliness.

SLU65

I've heard about this route but I must've gotten it wrong on my first couple of tries. Not as relevant this weekend, since the Saturday night game is at Cheel, rather than Appleton, and I'm already in town.

Thanks for letting us know. The back route is definately better. It's easy to get to if you're leaving, but unless you program it in, it's easy to miss the turn going there. Next year try leaving that way. Miner is the street that Appleton is on. So you go away from town until you have to turn. Go right till Rte 11. SLU65 is correct, you miss all the traffic leaving and going into town.

See you tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2013 05:53PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2013 02:19PM

KeithK
Or driven to Lake Placid along icy, windy mountain roads at 70mph. Absolutely none of us.
How would you know? You were asleep the whole time.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 04:00PM

CowbellGuy
KeithK
Or driven to Lake Placid along icy, windy mountain roads at 70mph. Absolutely none of us.

fainted != asleep

Posted by: ScrewBU (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2013 05:32PM

Trotsky

Just because our team is about to be put in the ditch doesn't mean you should be. Be careful.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2013 06:11PM

ScrewBU
Trotsky

Just because our team is about to be put in the ditch doesn't mean you should be. Be careful.

So I wasn't being careful, it's just the traffic was so slow I turned around. I wasn't going to get there till after the first period, and since I was driving back tonight, I turned around and will join some of you on the internet tonight. Oh well, I hope I can get to Clarkson tomorrow. At least the traffic won't be as bad.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 08:57AM

CowbellGuy
KeithK
It was only the return trip I was asleep for.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2013 02:54PM

KeithK
CowbellGuy
KeithK
It was only the return trip I was asleep for.
I suppose I can forgive you considering the sun was coming up by the time we got back to Ithaca. I wasn't very productive at work that day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login