Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Where are they now?

Posted by Greg Berge 
Where are they now?
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 10, 2003 10:01AM

Have either of these guys officially left the team?

+ Jan Pajerski
+ Scott Krahn

Re: Where are they now?
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 10, 2003 10:27AM

Pajerski's still listed on the roster, but not Krahn.

[cornellbigred.ocsn.com]

Posted by: Adam Joseph Doyle (---.or4.marketscore.com)
Date: March 10, 2003 12:59PM

I saw Krahn at the hockey house a few weeks back. I think he quit, but still hangs out with the guys.

Posted by: Will (128.253.12.---)
Date: March 10, 2003 01:00PM

Adam Joseph Doyle wrote:

> I saw Krahn at the hockey house a few weeks back. I think he
> quit, but still hangs out with the guys.

Any idea why he quit? Just wasn't cutting it on the squad? Some sort of really bad injury?

Posted by: AbbottFan1419 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2003 04:02PM

Scott isn’t a bad hockey player, but he just wasn’t getting time on ice so I think that's why he quit (might have gotten frustrated). Jan is still on the team and goes to all the games...he’s always there.

Posted by: Section A (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2003 05:06PM

Indeed. I often see Jan hanging out around the locker room area with Kelly Hughes and other scratches (sometimes Iggulden, sometimes Varteressian, etc.) during the games. I believe Jan also lives with some of the hockey players (Knoepfli and a couple other sophomores) in an apartment away from the "hockey house." How do I know? Am I stalking them? No. But a couple friends and I are living in that same apartment next year :-D

....(minus the hockey players, of course :) )....

Date: March 10, 2003 05:29PM

> the hockey house

Is that anything like the Pancake House?

Date: March 10, 2003 06:34PM

Yes..... if a stranger walks in, he may be flattened :-P

Posted by: min'97 (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 10, 2003 07:42PM

it appears that the topic is wide open, so here's one:
has anyone seen bill pidto lately? who will host the ncaa hockey seletion show this year?

Posted by: Roy Kornbluh (---.erg.sri.com)
Date: March 11, 2003 03:04AM

How about this:

I was in san Diego on business and fliiping through the channels when I paused on a San Diego Gulls minor league hockey game. I was about to move on when I heard the announcer mention a one Denis Ladouceur playing for the opposing Long Beach team.

I suppose that I can find all this info online but it is more fun to come across it by chance.

Roy

Date: March 11, 2003 07:54AM

Anne and I had a moment like that many years ago driving through northern PA late during the 85-86, after the notorious overtime loss at Bright. A very scratchy Hershey Bears broadcast was intermittently coming in, and lo and behold a "Lance Nethery" scored a goal.

Years later I was driving in North Carolina, happened upon the incredibly high wattage clear channel AM station of the Fort Wayne Komets (the one you can hear in Nova Scotia on a good night), and picked up a between periods interview with their star defenseman Dan Ratushny.

You're right, there's something very cool about just coming across that stuff by accident.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2003 08:09AM

Like turning on an invitational hockey tournament on Swiss TV and finding Lance Nethery coaching the team from Cologne?

Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: March 11, 2003 10:39AM

IIRC, I think Krahn was an architecture major.

Not claiming that architecture is more difficult than any other major, but architecture physically demands more time than most other majors. For instance, you can't really "plan ahead" and get your work done early in most instances.

Moreover, I know for a fact that the professors in the architecture school generally do not accomodate the schedule of a varsity athlete. When a classmate of mine went to consult with her professor because she wanted to stay on the swimming team, the professor pretty much said that while he respected her for her ambition, she would have to choose between architecture and swimming.

Again, I fully recognize the incredible demands placed by most of the majors at Cornell. But I can vouch that for at least a couple of reasons, it is extremely difficult to be an architecture major and a varsity hockey player.

I don't know where I heard this, but I believe there has been one architect hockey player in the history of Cornell Hockey.

Post Edited (03-11-03 12:53)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 11, 2003 12:48PM

As an Artsie who had a few Architect friends, I would say that the professors in the Architecture school generally do not accomodate a lifestyle that includes sleeping on a regular basis. snore twitch

Post Edited (03-11-03 12:49)

Date: March 11, 2003 01:17PM

As someone who did time in the Ag, Eng, and Arts schools, from the architects I knew I'd say it's one of the most demanding majors at Cornell. Off the top of my head, Keith Howie's the only other Architect I can recall on the team.

Post Edited (03-11-03 13:19)

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.cshl.org)
Date: March 11, 2003 02:11PM

I believe Kuczmanski was an architect, before he left the team.

Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: March 11, 2003 02:16PM

Oh, my bad. I got the K's mixed up.

I don't think Krahn is an architect, then.

Date: March 11, 2003 02:27PM

A quote from the Big Red Athletics site, on Scott Krahn's bio....

"Scott is enrolled in Cornell’s College of Arts and Sciences."

Posted by: Adam (205.217.105.---)
Date: March 11, 2003 03:09PM

Anyone know where Doug Stienstra is these days?

Posted by: Tom Tseng '87 (---.stanford.edu)
Date: March 11, 2003 04:18PM

I did a Google search, and I think Doug is now playing for the Nijmegen Tigers of the Netherlands. According to [www.tigers.nl], I dare say that he played as recently as the end of January.

With Google, you can find anything/anybody...B-]

Re: #21 Doug Stienstra
Date: March 11, 2003 04:21PM

For Doug's bio:
[www.tigers.nl]
and click on the text below the team photo.

Posted by: gwm3 (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: March 11, 2003 04:30PM

I never knew this about Doug:

"Doug Stienstra is een stevige Nederlands-Canadese aanvaller met een neusje voor doelpunten. De in West-Canada geboren forward was tweemaal topscorer bij de Cornell University op het hoogste college-niveau in de VS. In 2000 tekende hij een contract bij de New Jersey Devils. Zijn Europese debuut beleefde hij vorig jaar bij Bracknell in de hoogste Britse divisie."

:-P

Posted by: cquinn (---.goodrich.com)
Date: March 11, 2003 05:22PM

Or how about attending a Boston @ Montreal game and hearing Ryan Hughes announced in the Boston starting line-up. He had been called up from Providence the day before and it was his first NHL game.

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 11, 2003 06:06PM

What happened to Ryan? He got called up in 95/96, played one year in the IHL and that is all that hockeydb.com had on him.

His post-Bruins year was a noticeable regression from his year in Providence, but he also played in far fewer games. Did he get injured?

Posted by: judy (---.washdc3.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: March 11, 2003 07:04PM

www.hockeydb.com

you can do a search by alum and find out where they are

Date: March 11, 2003 08:52PM

"Doug Stienstra is een stevige Nederlands-Canadese aanvaller met een neusje voor doelpunten. De in West-Canada geboren forward was tweemaal topscorer bij de Cornell University op het hoogste college-niveau in de VS. In 2000 tekende hij een contract bij de New Jersey Devils. Zijn Europese debuut beleefde hij vorig jaar bij Bracknell in de hoogste Britse divisie."

Does someone want to try and tell me the Dutch language is not an elaborate parody of English and German? Those wacky Dutch practical jokesters!

Posted by: Josh Herman '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2003 11:37PM

The Dutch language is not an elaborate parody of German and English.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but somebody had to say it. screwy

Posted by: John ILR '02 (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2003 12:41AM

That's amazing. I'm from San Diego and I also only catch Gulls games by accident. They play on Channel 4 which most regularly plays reruns of Padre games??? Who want to see those? Anyway I have caught part of two games this year and Laddy played in both. Earlier this season he played for Idaho. In the game you referenced Denis put in a shootout goal, but LB still lost.

Date: March 12, 2003 07:37AM

Then there's the time I went to a game in Corpus Christi thinking Eddy Skazyk was no longer playing on the Icerays, and was surprised to find him in net:
[elf.hockey.cornell.edu]

I had a similar experience in Berlin, when one of the defensemen for the Eisbären turned out to be a guy who had played in Bern the season before; I had no idea where he was playing until they announced him in the lineup.

Posted by: Richard Stott (128.164.243.---)
Date: March 12, 2003 11:34AM

Online translation of the Steinstra bio:

Doug Stienstra is a firm Nederlands-Canadese attacker with a neusje for aim points. In West-Canada born forward which twice topscorer at the Cornell University on highest college-niveau in the US. In 2000 he signed a contract at the New Jersey Devils. To be European debuut polite he previous year at Bracknell in the highest britse divisie.

Re: Doug Stienstra
Date: March 12, 2003 02:12PM

[q]To be European debuut polite he previous year at Bracknell in the highest britse divisie[/q]

Huh?? screwy
That is like the English tags on some Japanese products. The sentences are in English all right, but they are non-sensical. And funny to read, sometimes. :-}

Date: March 12, 2003 02:18PM

"I'm disrespectful to dirt! Can you see I am serious?"

Post Edited (03-12-03 14:19)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login