Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CU at RPI

Posted by mackek2 
CU at RPI
Posted by: mackek2 (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: January 18, 2013 10:02PM

I hope I am not breaking any rules or sacred traditions by starting a thread, but I wanted to let everyone who wasn't going to the hockey game know that we will be streaming the game tomorrow. The game is free, and is going to be here starting at 6:45pm. Plase feel free to share the link; the more the merrier. Maybe we can show you a thing or two about doing streaming right :-D

Re: CU at RPI
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2013 10:07PM

As frequent visitors here know, RPI's video streams are fantastic. Whatever quantity of lawyers, guns and money would be required to get their production staff to do our games would be well worth it.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2013 10:09PM

mackek2
I hope I am not breaking any rules or sacred traditions by starting a thread, but I wanted to let everyone who wasn't going to the hockey game know that we will be streaming the game tomorrow. The game is free, and is going to be here starting at 6:45pm. Plase feel free to share the link; the more the merrier. Maybe we can show you a thing or two about doing streaming right :-D
Thank you for streaming the game and for letting us know.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2013 10:55PM

mackek2

The trick is convincing my parents that having a computer at the dinner table streaming Cornell hockey is indeed proper etiquette. In case my parents go all "Miss Manners" on me, will there be an archived version of the game available later in the evening? Stupid Redcast does not yet the Cornell-Union game archived yet.

Looking forward to RPI's videocast. As Trotsky said, we would LOVE to have you stream Cornell games.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2013 11:19PM

Rita
mackek2

The trick is convincing my parents that having a computer at the dinner table streaming Cornell hockey is indeed proper etiquette. In case my parents go all "Miss Manners" on me, will there be an archived version of the game available later in the evening?

It takes a few days for the archive to show up at RPI.

Colgate Archive Note

Date: January 19, 2013 12:23AM

Rita
mackek2

The trick is convincing my parents that having a computer at the dinner table streaming Cornell hockey is indeed proper etiquette. In case my parents go all "Miss Manners" on me, will there be an archived version of the game available later in the evening? Stupid Redcast does not yet the Cornell-Union game archived yet.

Looking forward to RPI's videocast. As Trotsky said, we would LOVE to have you stream Cornell games.

I've been trying to get a basic copy of the live stream up right after the game - tonight's is actually higher quality then live, but there is a bunch of time at the beginning of the clips, they haven't been edited yet. Also, depending on what time I wake up in the morning, I *might* have DVR setup.

The streaming is actually the easy part - I graduated last year, and I haven't been within 180 miles of for any of the hockey games, and I manage the streaming remotely. Its the crew that does the actual production that is the hard part. It would be awesome if if Cornell were to have a student run TV organization - Cornell has the student base to support one, and it would be great to have another group to work with. We do a lot of our own development in house, like our instant replay and graphics, and it would be perfect to collaborate with another engineering school on projects.

I hope to talk to some of you in the chat tomorrow; here's to a good game!

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2013 08:56AM

mackek2
I hope I am not breaking any rules or sacred traditions by starting a thread, but I wanted to let everyone who wasn't going to the hockey game know that we will be streaming the game tomorrow. The game is free, and is going to be here starting at 6:45pm. Please feel free to share the link; the more the merrier. Maybe we can show you a thing or two about doing streaming right :-D

Is this stream playable in non-flash capable devices?

help

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2013 11:43AM

USCHO thread for RPI/Union weekend: Hilarious incensed complaints about a Colgate hit on RPI's Ryan Haggerty in the last few seconds of their game last night. They're looking for a game miconduct /DQ. Why hilarious? They illustrate their point with a Youtube vid from our 2009 game at RPI when Bergdorfer got a game DQ for running our Taylor Davenport into the boards at the buzzer - a play that they all were justifying at the time as playing hard until the end.

RPI dishes it out but...

There's also more of the annual RPI mantra that the refs are all against them, all the time.wank

Posted by: css228 (---.sub-70-192-10.myvzw.com)
Date: January 19, 2013 11:57AM

TimV
USCHO thread for RPI/Union weekend: Hilarious incensed complaints about a Colgate hit on RPI's Ryan Haggerty in the last few seconds of their game last night. They're looking for a game miconduct /DQ. Why hilarious? They illustrate their point with a Youtube vid from our 2009 game at RPI when Bergdorfer got a game DQ for running our Taylor Davenport into the boards at the buzzer - a play that they all were justifying at the time as playing hard until the end.

RPI dishes it out but...

There's also more of the annual RPI mantra that the refs are all against them, all the time.wank
Of course, don't they know the refs are always against us :-P

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2013 12:23PM

Thanks RPI, you guys set the standard. Why Cornell can't do what you guys do leaves us baffled. I know we all have discussed many times that hiring an outside entity is all about the bottom line not the quality. Last nights Union broadcast was horrendous, I think they brought over a former red cast camera operator to do the game. Audio was never fixed entire game. Tonight will be nice, and its free, go figure the best things in life are free.

Date: January 19, 2013 12:38PM

Thanks Mackek2. Cornell actually thinks that making the little money they do off their red cast without any student involvement is less problematic than trying to let students gain valuable experience for future endeavors. We filmed Cornell games with my room mates beta camera in the 80's. Wow do I sound old. I announced my room mate filmed. Little did we know you could make a career out it. We were just having fun.

Johnny 5 asked a good question about being able to watch RPI TV on non flash mobile devices.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2013 01:02PM by flyersgolf.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2013 02:16PM

TimV

RPI dishes it out but...

FlagDUDE's logic is sometimes hard to understand. He inserted that video about Erik Burgdoerfer's hit in this post in response to something from another poster about another player. Why he inserted that I don't know, but wasn't Erik suspended? He didn't play in RPI's next three games. I think that was his point, that Erik was suspended, so therefore the Colgate player should be.

As to the refs being against RPI, we are still paying back for getting the benefit of the Refs not calling George Servinis as offsides in the 1985 championship game vs. Providence.:)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2013 02:37PM by ursusminor.

Date: January 19, 2013 02:19PM

Johnny 5
mackek2
I hope I am not breaking any rules or sacred traditions by starting a thread, but I wanted to let everyone who wasn't going to the hockey game know that we will be streaming the game tomorrow. The game is free, and is going to be here starting at 6:45pm. Please feel free to share the link; the more the merrier. Maybe we can show you a thing or two about doing streaming right :-D

help
Hopefully mackek2 will come here again and answer your question. It has been asked before on USCHO and answered, but I didn't pay attention. It does play for me on a PC using Chrome where I have disabled flash, but I don't know if that helps.

Date: January 19, 2013 02:24PM

Right, Ralph - I got that. My point is that at the time Burgdorf's hit happened, it was hailed and lauded as playing hard to the end of the game. Exact same circumstances as the hit on Haggerty last night that is now being decried as unsportsmanlike and unnecessary by the exact same characters.

Date: January 19, 2013 02:55PM

TimV
Right, Ralph - I got that. My point is that at the time Burgdorf's hit happened, it was hailed and lauded as playing hard to the end of the game. Exact same circumstances as the hit on Haggerty last night that is now being decried as unsportsmanlike and unnecessary by the exact same characters.
I chose not to answer that part. whistle

Seriously, you must realize that there are quite a lot of RPI fans who post on USCHO, just like there are a lot of Cornell and who post here, and opinions vary. If you read that, you may have noticed that our views on Seth Appert run from total incompetence to the greatest since Uncle Ned. We don't all agree! Also there is sadly a lot of turnover of posters from year to year. One thing that differentiates RPI and Cornell posters is that as far as I can tell, most, if not all, of the Cornell posters are either students or alums, while in addition RPI has a lot of posters who are local fans with no connection to the 'Tute. That is probably due to there being many more people in the Albany metro area than in Ithaca. Locals appear to have different demands upon the program than stduents and alums. However, indeed the general view of RPI fans was that Burgdoerfer was just playing hard while Larkin is a goon. All I can say is that we are fans.

And I repeat, if Eric Burgdoerfer deserved a multigame suspension then so does Larkin. That statement is just based upon consistency, not my opinion on whether or not either should be suspended.

Date: January 19, 2013 03:12PM

You've always been a level-headed voice of reason. On both boards.

Date: January 19, 2013 04:27PM

flyersgolf
Thanks RPI, you guys set the standard. Why Cornell can't do what you guys do leaves us baffled. I know we all have discussed many times that hiring an outside entity is all about the bottom line not the quality. Last nights Union broadcast was horrendous, I think they brought over a former red cast camera operator to do the game. Audio was never fixed entire game..

Was this a simulcast of the Time Warner TV offering?

Date: January 19, 2013 04:34PM

ursusminor
Johnny 5
mackek2

help
Hopefully mackek2 will come here again and answer your question. It has been asked before on USCHO and answered, but I didn't pay attention. It does play for me on a PC using Chrome where I have disabled flash, but I don't know if that helps.

Another way to test what is needed would be to go to the RPI TV site and attempt to play some of the archived content with your device of choice.

Date: January 19, 2013 04:57PM

My official answer is yes, iOS devices will work tonight for the first time. My actual answer: we shall find out together :)

All I have to test is an old iPod touch running iOS 4.2. If anybody with a different device wants to check to see if it will work, try this link.

EDIT: Link doesn't work yet, I just pushed my site update about 10 minutes ago, and am waiting for it to finish regenerating all of the thumbnails so I can restart the application.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2013 05:04PM by mackek2.

Date: January 19, 2013 05:01PM

Marty, the inability to follow the puck and keep the action framed in the screen, I highly doubt they used the time Warner feed.

Date: January 19, 2013 05:46PM

mackek2
My official answer is yes, iOS devices will work tonight for the first time. My actual answer: we shall find out together :)

All I have to test is an old iPod touch running iOS 4.2. If anybody with a different device wants to check to see if it will work, try this link.

EDIT: Link doesn't work yet, I just pushed my site update about 10 minutes ago, and am waiting for it to finish regenerating all of the thumbnails so I can restart the application.

Yep. Says HTML5 not properly encoded. HTML5 should be the nuts, if it works.

dribble

Date: January 19, 2013 06:07PM

ursusminor
Seriously, you must realize that there are quite a lot of RPI fans who post on USCHO, just like there are a lot of Cornell and who post here, and opinions vary.

The middle level of Maslow's Hierarchy ought to be "has recognized that the object of fan allegiance is accidental and does not correlate with any other characteristic."

50% of internet posters never achieve this level.

Date: January 19, 2013 06:09PM

RPI feed works on ipad, thanks Mackek2. Service just like red cast, not.

Date: January 19, 2013 06:12PM

Johnny 5
mackek2

Yep. Says HTML5 not properly encoded. HTML5 should be the nuts, if it works.

dribble

It *SHOULD* work now, depending on how new your device is (if it supports High profile H264). I don't have enough cpu power to encode any more additional streams, so I can't create lower profile transcodes :(.

Date: January 19, 2013 06:14PM

flyersgolf

Now let's just hope I didn't break the desktop streaming in the process looking

Date: January 19, 2013 06:32PM

mackek2
flyersgolf

Now let's just hope I didn't break the desktop streaming in the process looking

Hmmm,....just tried to view football with no success.
iPad Retina.

But, it works great on the i7 MBP.

panic
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2013 06:40PM by Johnny 5.

Date: January 19, 2013 06:57PM

It worked on ipad retina until game started

Date: January 19, 2013 06:59PM

The picture is outstanding on a PC of Mac. Thanks RPI

Date: January 19, 2013 07:14PM

It's not that page anymore - You should be able to just go the the video from the site [rpitv.org]

Date: January 19, 2013 07:36PM

mackek2
It's not that page anymore - You should be able to just go the the video from the site [rpitv.org]

Nope. Black screen.
But, thanks for the attempt.
Great picture & sound on the laptop.
It freezes quite a bit, but hey...it's free!!

banana

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-8.myvzw.com)
Date: January 19, 2013 07:41PM

Works great on my Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1 on Verizon4g from inside the field house. I couldn't do this earlier on the year (to my best recollect ion).

Thanks. Though I don't beef it tonight.

Date: January 19, 2013 07:44PM

Johnny 5
mackek2

Nope. Black screen.
But, thanks for the attempt.
Great picture & sound on the laptop.
It freezes quite a bit, but hey...it's free!!

banana

That I did fix. If you refresh, it should work much better. A lot of people are having issues with the automatic bitrate switching. Sorry! I'm not sure about the iPad thing. I will have to track one down and do some more testing.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 19, 2013 07:44PM

mackek2
This is GREAT!! Thanks very much, RPI!

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 19, 2013 08:05PM

I haven't given Redcast any money in about 3 years.

I may donate to RPItv after tonight, though.

Date: January 19, 2013 09:15PM

Thanks for watching everyone! Sorry about the issues at the start of the game.

We would never turn down a donation innocent Donations are probably going towards a new streaming server for transcoding live video to more bitrates.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-8.myvzw.com)
Date: January 19, 2013 09:22PM

During the game between periods I showed my friend the stream. He connected on his iPhone4. His video filled the screen properly. Mine had overscan so that I couldn't see the full picture.

I will check it with different browsers. I am using a less well known browser called Ninesky.

Thanks again.

Date: January 19, 2013 09:42PM

Only the second RS loss in 13 years at RPI.

Date: January 20, 2013 07:19AM

Trotsky

Yeah, if only the team had played as well as the video feed.

Oh, well.....lacrosse starts soon.

bang

Date: January 20, 2013 07:54AM

TimV
You've always been a level-headed voice of reason. On both boards.

Thanks. I try to be, especially when I am on other teams' boards. (Granted there is the picture that I use here as an avatar which shows Doug Hearns in December 1968 scoring in OT against Ken Dryden.)

Back to Burgdoerfer (Eric, not his twin brother Greg who managed to get three years behind him). I don't remember what, if anything, I posted at that time, but his hit four years ago was further away from the boards, and in addition, numerous Emails from USCHO poster DrDemento, who is a medical doctor, have convinced me in the intervening years of the importance of guarding against concussions.

Date: January 20, 2013 08:32AM

Johnny 5
Trotsky

bang
Never write off a season. We played great Friday. Our problem is consistency, not ability. Consistency is a matter of coaching and player discipline, and it's never too late for that all to come together. Combine it with a goalie who can get hot, and perhaps we have the Kings' 2012 post-season run.

This is shaping up to be a year where Cornell is always in the game, but rarely breaks into a comfortable lead. Think of us as a .500 team trying to build toward a top-4 bye team. That will make it a much more fun experience than thinking of us as an underachieving Dreadnought.

I would love for us to come up big next weekend against Yale and Brown. Nobody is running away with the Ivy title. We aren't well-positioned, but it's still in reach, it's a fun title to pursue, and those head-to-heads with Yale and Dartmouth will be very important for ECAC standings.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 08:39AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2013 10:39AM

Trotsky
Johnny 5
Trotsky

bang
Never write off a season. We played great Friday. Our problem is consistency, not ability. Consistency is a matter of coaching and player discipline, and it's never too late for that all to come together. Combine it with a goalie who can get hot, and perhaps we have the Kings' 2012 post-season run.

This is shaping up to be a year where Cornell is always in the game, but rarely breaks into a comfortable lead. Think of us as a .500 team trying to build toward a top-4 bye team. That will make it a much more fun experience than thinking of us as an underachieving Dreadnought.

I would love for us to come up big next weekend against Yale and Brown. Nobody is running away with the Ivy title. We aren't well-positioned, but it's still in reach, it's a fun title to pursue, and those head-to-heads with Yale and Dartmouth will be very important for ECAC standings.
It's honestly hard not to think of them as the best mediocre team you've ever seen when the expectations were a a top 10 team and the talent on the team justifies those expectations.

Date: January 20, 2013 10:42AM

css228
Trotsky

It's honestly hard not to think of them as the best mediocre team you've ever seen when the expectations were a a top 10 team and the talent on the team justifies those expectations.
I know that, but after half a season...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 10:44AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 10:44AM

Trotsky
Never write off a season.

This. I can think of a half-dozen seasons off the top of my head where CU has erased/redeemed a non-stellar regular season or a stretch of mid-winter doldrums with a strong post-season run. The '06 team is looked at as a success, forever remembered for taking Wisconsin to 0-0 in the 3rd OT in Green Bay. They were a frustratingly inconsistent 4-3-1 for the stretch-run in February. The '09 team was 2-5-1 from mid-Jan through mid-Feb, but had many of us seriously dreaming of Washington before hitting the Bemidji blow-up.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 10:45AM by RichH.

Date: January 20, 2013 10:50AM

RichH
Trotsky

This. I can think of a half-dozen seasons off the top of my head where CU has erased/redeemed a non-stellar regular season or a stretch of mid-winter doldrums with a strong post-season run. The '06 team is looked at as a success, forever remembered for taking Wisconsin to 0-0 in the 3rd OT in Green Bay. They were a frustratingly inconsistent 4-3-1 for the stretch-run in February. The '09 team was 2-5-1 from mid-Jan through mid-Feb, but had many of us seriously dreaming of Washington before hitting the Bemidji blow-up.
The end of the 1980 season is one of the best examples. I will leave it to one of our number who was a fan then to elucidate.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2013 11:55AM

RichH
Trotsky

This team is currently #1 in penalty minutes per game. Combine that with being 57th in penalty kill success (only UAA and Sacred Heart are lower) and an optimist could see a lot of room for improvement. Across the board Cornell's team stat rankings are all below average, so I guess there's hope to be had.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 01:15PM

Trotsky
RichH
Trotsky

The end of the 1980 season is one of the best examples. I will leave it to one of our number who was a fan then to elucidate.
Okay, I'll elucidate. We finished in the 8th and final playoff spot (out of about 20 teams). Back then the quarter-finals were one game on Tuesday night at the higher seed. We thoroughly outplayed #1 BC 5-1 and as the BC alum I was with said, there was no question that night as to which team was the better team. On to Boston Garden on Friday, we played #2 Providence. We were down 4-2 after two and being outplayed. I had first row balcony tickets and in between the 2nd and 3rd, I made a contingent sale of my tickets to a Providence fan for the next night (I was living in southern New Hampshire at the time and had a 4 month old at home so I figured I'd give my wife a break if Cornell wasn't playing). Providence scored early in the 3rd to go up 5-2 and it didn't look good. Cornell won 6-5 in regulation. The next night we defeated #3 Dartmouth 5-1 for the championship.
It's not over 'til it's over. Last year a lot of people on this forum were writing us off after losing the ECAC semi. In the end, we felt pretty good about being one of the final 8 teams playing. There's not a lot of difference between a good season and a disappointing one. Let's hope those little differences go our way the rest of the season.

Posted by: lhayes (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 02:46PM

And we only got the 8th and last playoff spot in 1980 with a win in the final RS game. IIRC, that win was against Harvard, but maybe my memory is gilding the lily. I'm pretty sure I went to Boston 2 weekends in a row.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2013 02:50PM

Trotsky
ursusminor
Seriously, you must realize that there are quite a lot of RPI fans who post on USCHO, just like there are a lot of Cornell and who post here, and opinions vary.

The middle level of Maslow's Hierarchy ought to be "has recognized that the object of fan allegiance is accidental and does not correlate with any other characteristic."

50% of internet posters never achieve this level.

I am convinced that the only reason people root for teams that I dislike is that they are too unintelligent, evil, or uncivilized (or all three) to root for a different team. Stop spreading these lies that suggest my beliefs are not true.

Date: January 20, 2013 03:11PM

lhayes
And we only got the 8th and last playoff spot in 1980 with a win in the final RS game. IIRC, that win was against Harvard, but maybe my memory is gilding the lily. I'm pretty sure I went to Boston 2 weekends in a row.

It was BU. Here's the whole run.

In addition to Jeff's wonderful reporting, here is the final RS win that set it all up.

Note the time of the overtime goal: 9:12. That was back in the day of 10-minute RS overtimes.

Date: January 20, 2013 03:13PM

jtn27
I am convinced that the only reason people root for teams that I dislike is that they are too unintelligent, evil, or uncivilized (or all three) to root for a different team.
The Philadelphia jokes just write themselves. :)

Posted by: gjp84 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 03:24PM

My recollection of 1980 is only slightly different. First, the BC game. BC had 3 PPs in the first period, but left the ice down 2-0. It was 5-0 by the middle of the third period and a BC alum and his young son got up to leave. As they were walking up the aisle, a particularly strident Cornell fan (not me) said: "How come you're leaving? The game's not over". To which the young boy said " Oh yeah? BC could beat Cornell in another game any day". To which the Cornell fan replied "There are no more games kid." Beautiful. The PC game, I believe was 5-2 late in the 2nd period, when Brock Tredway scored in the final minute to give us hope going into the 3rd. Roy Kerling won it with a seeing eye slapshot from the point mid- to late 3rd. The Dartmouth game was the only of 4 between the 2 teams that year that Cornell won. They met in the NCAA Final Four consolation game in addition to the 2 regular season games.

The final RS game was a gem (in retrospect). It was at BU, not Harvard, and Cornell needed a tie for the 8th spot. BU rallied from a 5-0 deficit to tie the game and send it to OT where Brian Marrett won it for Cornell to send them back to Boston the following Tuesday against BC.

Over 30 years ago now, but still nice to think back on.

Date: January 20, 2013 03:40PM

As there are a couple discrepancies in the memories, I'll put in a gratuitous plug for one of my (free) Cornell hockey fandom tools.

To recover any box score of any game:

1. Go to the TBRW Report Generator
2. Enter the date of the game in the text field in yyyymmdd format and click the Box Score button.

Note: If you don't know the date of the game, the other buttons might help you. For example, you can use the Generator to display the Games by Year, or Games vs Opponent, and get the date from those reports.

As always, if you happen upon errors (of which I am sure there are many) drop me an email. Also, if there are any reports you'd like to see let me know.

/end plug
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 03:47PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 04:11PM

css228
Trotsky
Johnny 5
Trotsky

bang

Isn't this team still very young, with most of the high-end talent concentrated in the freshman and sophomore classes? I honestly don't know - I haven't seen them play this season, so I don't know which players are really the key to on-ice success.

There is one thing that I feel compelled to point out: die-hard fans tend to inflate expectations of talent and production to an unreasonable degree. The final year with Nash/Nash/Greening was touted by several around these parts as a potential national title contender, but I never saw that given the talent on that squad. One line teams don't win national titles, and Cornell had a steep talent drop-off after the top 5 or 6 skaters. Yale had two terrifying forward lines and dominated Cornell that year, but they didn't have the depth and balance they needed to get to the FF either. MSU-Mankato had a half hugely talented forward line that, according to the WCHA faithful, was going to skate rings around Cornell in 2003, and they got crushed. UVM had 3 full seasons with one of the most highly touted lines that I can remember and they got exactly one trip to the FF and 0 titles* out of it.

On paper, this year's team has more depth, if less top end scoring talent, than those 1-2 line wonders, but the only detailed report I've read on this board suggests that there isn't the kind of 4 line effectiveness that characterized the 2003 team. If the lack of consistency is due to inexperience and execution I wouldn't be surprised to see a strong run in the second half of the season. If it's due to a lack of talent on the bottom half of the team they'll probably struggle throughout, and this could well be the best mediocre team you'll ever see. I still wouldn't count them out of the playoffs - a hot goaltender and two lines firing on all cylinders might leave you a long shot for a national title, but it will still let you make a lot of noise in a single elimination format.

If anyone wants to fill in some details and thoughts around this - the more impassive and analytical the better - I'd be eager to read them.

* Unlike Yale, those top-ranked UVM teams never even managed an ECAC title.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2013 04:22PM

I remember the 1978-79 season getting off to a miserable start but I must confess I had to generate a report to get the details.

Cornell was 3-3 going into the Dec/Jan break and went 18-5 down the stretch, including the miraculous come-from-behind victory over Providence where Randy Wilson missed the empty net to let us back in the game and send us to the ECAC tournament. In spite of the turn-around, we didn't win the tournament but it set up the next year's heroics.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2013 05:43PM

I love looking at season recaps from the late 70's-early 80's and seeing the scores -- 8-5 seems fairly average final score for the era (ok, just a slight exaggeration). Seriously, we lost to Clarkson 14-6 in the '79-80 season?

Date: January 20, 2013 05:56PM

scoop85
I love looking at season recaps from the late 70's-early 80's and seeing the scores -- 8-5 seems fairly average final score for the era (ok, just a slight exaggeration). Seriously, we lost to Clarkson 14-6 in the '79-80 season?

It's hard to wrap our minds around the offense of that period. Just look at the Cornell defensive stats of the time, bearing in mind that it was a very successful team throughout the Seventies.

Unfortunately that 14-6 game is one of the few I don't have a box score for.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 06:00PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 06:10PM

Trotsky
It's hard to wrap our minds around the offense of that period.
Sometimes it happens in this period. Went to last night's BC-Northeastern game and less than seven minutes into the game it was 3-2, with four of the goals coming in less than two minutes. BC scored twice as we were walking out of the rink to make the final 9-3, and there were still more than eight minutes to play. Eight of the nine BC goals I saw were scored from within eight feet of the net, on two-on-one breaks played to perfection, passes from behind the net, etc. Some teams know how to score--even in this era.

Cornell, on the other hand, has scored one goal in three of its last four games. [Desperation EAG goals don't count.]

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2013 06:48PM

Trotsky
jtn27
I am convinced that the only reason people root for teams that I dislike is that they are too unintelligent, evil, or uncivilized (or all three) to root for a different team.
The Philadelphia jokes just write themselves. :)
If loving this video is uncivilized then I don't want to be civilized.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 09:48PM

scoop85
I saw most of our games from 1974-78 and we scored tons of goals and gave up tons of goals. College hockey in general was a more high-scoring sport, but we had mediocre goalies in the late '70s, and when we played the top teams like BU, that was too much to overcome. I'll always remember our 10-9 double OT loss to UNH in the Boston Garden in the ECAC semifinals in 1977.

Date: January 22, 2013 07:57AM

RPI-TV has posted the game video [rpitv.org].

Ferlin pic
Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-15.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2013 07:40AM

North country for RIP - Weaver

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login