Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

St. L 2 - Colgate 5

Posted by Jim Hyla 
St. L 2 - Colgate 5
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2003 07:54PM

I was going to go to the game, but my guilt of my work got to me. So I'm listening. Good game, 'gate scored SH at last second (or not) of the first period. Refs talked about allowing it for a few minutes.

Post Edited (03-09-03 21:16)

Re: St. L 0 - Colgate 2
Date: March 09, 2003 08:00PM

'gate on even strength. They are outplaying St. L as they did both prior games, but St. L goalie not as sharp.

Date: March 09, 2003 08:05PM

St.L on pp.

Date: March 09, 2003 08:25PM

St.L again with a pp goal. End of second. 'gate on pp to start the third.

Re: St. L 2 - Colgate 2
Posted by: Section A (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2003 08:29PM

One period to go (barring OT) to decide who moves on to face Dartmouth.

Raiders 2 Saints 2, end 2nd

Re: St. L 2 - Colgate 3
Date: March 09, 2003 08:45PM

'gate scores to go up.

Post Edited (03-09-03 20:51)

Re: St. L 2 - Colgate 5
Date: March 09, 2003 09:11PM

'gate again. A couple of minutes left.

& an EN, it's over.

Post Edited (03-09-03 21:18)

Posted by: Jeff Hardgrove '01 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 09, 2003 09:17PM

wow... the "north country" has seen better years...

Posted by: Section A (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2003 09:19PM

so, next week,

#1 Cornell vs. #11 RPI
#2 Harvard vs. #10 Vermont
#3 Dartmouth vs. #8 Colgate
#4 Yale vs. #5 Brown

Posted by: Tom Tseng '87 (---.stanford.edu)
Date: March 09, 2003 11:45PM

So...Conceiveably, we may see an All-Ivy ECAC "Final Four" in Albany.
Question: Bright Hockey Center being the Lynah East, what will the Pepsi Arena be if and when the Faithful descend upon the rink? Lynah Middle-East?? nut

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2003 12:11AM

Tom Tseng '87 wrote:

> So...Conceiveably, we may see an All-Ivy ECAC "Final Four" in
> Albany.

More than conceivably, pretty likely. A 1-11, and 2-10 matchups do not appear to be a challenge. While I know anything can happen, it's far less likely to happen twice - especially with a fairly runaway #1 and 2 seeds. 4-5 are of course both Ivies. The reasonable possibility for an Ivy upset is Darmouth-Colgate, but when we're talking Dartmouth at home, and, well, uh, Colgate, I'd be pretty surprised to see it.

> Question: Bright Hockey Center being the Lynah East, what will
> the Pepsi Arena be if and when the Faithful descend upon the
> rink? Lynah Middle-East?? nut

Lynah Central? B-]

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 10, 2003 02:00AM

Lynah Least

Post Edited (03-10-03 02:01)

Date: March 10, 2003 11:58AM

I got another:

Capital Lynah

Date: March 10, 2003 10:03PM

Capital Lynah it is. Anyone for t shirts?:-D

Posted by: David Harding 72 (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: March 10, 2003 10:15PM

"Capital Lynah"

Is "Lynah" trademarked? uhoh

Date: March 10, 2003 10:56PM

Who's asking? uhoh

Date: March 10, 2003 10:56PM

Who's asking? uhoh

Posted by: The Director (149.43.186.---)
Date: March 11, 2003 01:34AM

More importantly, who was at fault for the fans V. SLU coaches fight? As far as I'm concerned, the SLU coaches are at fault. They overreacted to taunting, lost their composure, and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I don't know how many of you saw the fight, but I was 10 feet from it, and it was ridiculous. The coaches were clearly at fault for their unprofessional conduct towards the fans.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2003 01:50AM

Was this before or after they got soda dumped on them by the Starr Sophisticates?

Date: March 11, 2003 01:53AM

This was after, but there was no excuse to get violent. The water (or soda, as you say) was a stupid and unacceptable act, but there was no reason for the coaches to take swings at our students. There was no physical provocation, and I would have hoped that ANY coaching staff should have acted in a more professional manner. Lynah would have been much more inhospitable than Starr. Water should be the least of their worries. They should be used to heckling by now.

Date: March 11, 2003 02:23AM

You mean, Capital Lynah (tm)? :-D (red shirt, with white stylized lettering)

Tee-shirts sound like a great idea. Only wish I were going...

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2003 08:16AM

Sorry, the account I read at [lists.maine.edu] said
[Q]
At the conclusion of the game, fans behind the SLU bench drenched
coaches and players with drinks, etc.
[/Q]
I assumed the drinks included soda, but it could have been water. Not that it justifies taking a swing at anyone, but I it's hard to see how pouring liquid on someone doesn't count as "physical provocation".

I'll let someone else handle the issue of whether loutish "fans" crossing the line is more commonly associated with Starr or Lynah.

Date: March 11, 2003 12:09PM

To be fair, it was one drink, and yes, a soda I just found out. Sprite.

I hate to get into a "who started it" discussion, because there were provocations from both sides (fans and SLU coaches). However, while the drink crossed the line, the coaches lept a mile past it with their violent outbursts. When it takes 2 refs and 5 security officers to hold you back, and you still almost make it over the glass, you're out of control.

Posted by: David Harding 72 (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: March 11, 2003 09:01PM

Just curious after all the previous discussion or trademarked names on t-shirts. yark

Posted by: Ben '03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2003 12:41AM

I do not condone the acts of the St. Lawrence coaches but. . .
[Q]rolleyes What would you expect to happen to you if you dumped a soda/water on a complete stranger on the street?rolleyes [/Q]
Is it more than likely you would have to answer to a very angry, angry person? Answer - Probably So. . .what right is given to a hockey fan (if we can call those from Colgate fans) to dump a soda on a coach after his team has just lost??? Answer - NONE! Your argument is way out of line. Your "fans" should try acting with some dignity and maybe after your team wins a game you could try NOT to disgrace yourselves, your team, and your school.:-|

Posted by: Mike Steinfeld (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2003 12:53AM

With all respect to be given where respect is due, there was a problem with Colgate fans last year too, throwing drinks and food and the like on our players at the game. If I can remember correctly, the Colgate band was behind our bench this year, so things were more in line, but from what I recall (and I could easily be wrong) that was the result of complaints various people made.
What I'm basically trying to say, is that Colgate fans (probably just one or two idiots) have thrown crap on visiting bench players during games in the past, I don't see that it's a stretch to imagine that they did it again, even if the water/soda was the only thing people noticed.

There's a limit to what the coach has to take from the crowd as well. If it was only heckling, then possibly there's no reason to do much, though I can easily imagine people saying something stupid that would really piss a lot of others off. Like I said though, I sincerely doubt it was just the heckling. Anyway, I'm done now, just my $.02

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2003 03:23PM

Mike Steinfeld wrote:

With all respect to be given where respect is due, there was a problem with Colgate fans last year too, throwing drinks and food and the like on our players at the game. If I can remember correctly, the Colgate band was behind our bench this year, so things were more in line, but from what I recall (and I could easily be wrong) that was the result of complaints various people made.

Just last year? There's a problem with the Colgate student section every year...the most memorable for me being the year one of them was shining a laser pointer in Cornell goaltender Jason Elliott's eyes. Following every game I've been to at Starr there were always several dozen empty "traveler" style booze bottles left on the floor of the Colgate student section. With respect to the many good Colgate fans that I know, there is a higher percentage of students that only show up at games to get plowed and act like thugs at Colgate than at any other ECAC arena, including Lynah. Many of them don't even care about the hockey game, IMO.

The actions of the SLU coach were unfortunate. But in a way, I'm glad that someone finally tried to stand up to the punks at Starr. No way the students are innocent.

Posted by: Jeff (149.43.192.---)
Date: March 12, 2003 06:00PM

Rich Hovorka '96 wrote:

With respect to the many good Colgate fans that I know, there is a higher percentage of students that only show up at games to get plowed and act like thugs at Colgate than at any other ECAC arena, including Lynah. Many of them don't even care about the hockey game, IMO.

Unforunately, I would probably have to agree with you on this. I don't know if it's a result of Colgate being in the middle of nowhere or if its just because of the social atmosphere on campus, but of course it's a problem because it reflects poorly on the school. But I do think the majority do care. Last year and at the start of this season, fan attendance has been down a bit, probably because of us missing the playoffs 2 years ago and then losing in the first round last year. But, ever since our home win against you guys, the fans have been and have been vocal. I just hope their support carries over into the next year, and that those who do care try to keep the few bad apples from spoiling it for everyone.

Date: March 13, 2003 01:00AM

I agree, Jeff. And I resent the generalizations being made here. There are a few bad Colgate students - just as there are a few Cornell students who are di*ks. You know that.

The majority are okay kids. I was 10 feet (max) from the fight, and although a mistake was made by a student, the escalation and eventual violence was perpetrated completely by the coaches. At any time, they could have stopped it, but due to many factors (their jobs on the line, losing badly, rowdy [but non-violent] students), they took it too far. The causes lay in many areas, including the students, but the blame falls squarely on the coaches.

Coach Marsh seems to be a good guy, and he has my respect as much as Vaughn does. I can't say I can see Coach Chris Wells in the same light, at least not after this weekend.

Posted by: Ben '03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2003 01:25AM

[Q]Author: The Director

I agree, Jeff. And I resent the generalizations being made here. There are a few bad Colgate students - just as there are a few Cornell students who are di*ks. You know that.

The majority are okay kids. I was 10 feet (max) from the fight, and although a mistake was made by a student, the escalation and eventual violence was perpetrated completely by the coaches. At any time, they could have stopped it, but due to many factors (their jobs on the line, losing badly, rowdy [but non-violent] students), they took it too far. The causes lay in many areas, including the students, but the blame falls squarely on the coaches.

Coach Marsh seems to be a good guy, and he has my respect as much as Vaughn does. I can't say I can see Coach Chris Wells in the same light, at least not after this weekend.[/Q]

Explain to me again how "the blame falls squarely on the coaches?" They did not go "LOOKING" for a confrontation with your students. . .did they? The St. Lawrence coaches did not dump soda on themselves. . .did they? The fact remains that your "fans" have a reputation for being rowdy, drunk, and out of line. Don't try and pretend this is the first time there has been a problem. So why are you making a big deal of this? B/c this is the first time someone stood up to the drunks that you call fans and although they may have crossed line, they WERE NOT out of line for standing up for themselves. So get the f=*k off your high horse and move on! twitch

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2003 01:43AM

The Director wrote:

I figured I'd be accused of generalizing. Generalizing is saying "All Colgate students at the games are this way." If you read my post again, I said that I think that the percentage of this type of fan happens to be higher at Starr for whatever reason...and it's more than just a "few" a-holes. Of course each team has their share of bad fans, and I've been embarassed on several occasions to be associated with some Cornell fans. I have known in the past, and know now, a decent number of what I'll call "good fans" at Colgate. So just watch the backlash when you accuse me of blindly trashing Colgate, or any kind of generalization.

I would guess that part of the problem at Starr is both the Rink admission policy for students, and the configuation of the seating. Were Colgate to charge students a couple of bucks to get into the arena, you would probably cut down on the number of people who don't care about the game...that is get the real hockey fans in there. That's probably an unpopular choice, but most people would agree that it would reduce the number of idiots just looking for a place to throw a few back and pick fights before the parties start. At Cornell, students have to shell out $90+ for season tickets. At that price, you better care about the team, and it gives you a vested interest in NOT getting kicked out of the arena.

Second, the fact that Starr has general admission student seats right behind the visiting bench makes it pretty easy for an incident like the one on Sunday to happen. I seem to remember Dartmouth having to close off the rows immediately behind the benches at Thompson Arena last season for this exact reason. Mushing visiting fans in with that GA only leads to more unfortunate incidencts. In my years, I've been spit at, shoved, and had objects thrown at me at Starr simply for wearing a different shade of red. Lynah has a good set-up in keeping the students seperate from the visitor section, and nearly all of the interactions between the two are of the harmless, yet entertaining, chanted variety.

As far as placing the blame for Sunday, I have a feeling that there was more to it than just the soda. That said, Joe Marsh runs a good program, and I'd be willing to bet that there was at least a talking to that particular assistant.

Post Edited (03-13-03 02:00)

Posted by: Ben Flickinger (---.kiewit.dartmouth.edu)
Date: March 13, 2003 10:59AM

I'll reiterate my absolute shock that Colgate students were drunk at a hockey game. twitch

I mean, the ones who showed up to Thompson last year for the playoffs and decided to sit next to Dartmouth's student section rather than across the ice with Colgate's visiting section were just outstanding citizens, even going so far as to fill the air with a nice alcoholic aroma.

And then when they tucked their tail between their legs after Summerfelt scored in 2OT, they were shouting at Dartmouth fans to be happy and "gay" from their car as they high tailed it out of town.

Yes, I was quite impressed with Colgate students... rolleyes

Posted by: Ben Flickinger (---.kiewit.dartmouth.edu)
Date: March 13, 2003 11:04AM

[q]I seem to remember Dartmouth having to close off the rows immediately behind the benches at Thompson Arena last season for this exact reason.[/q]

Actually it's the visitor's penalty box, not the bench, and it's this season, not last season. From what I heard one school complained about their players being verbally abused by the students and the Dartmouth rent-a-cops decided to just block off about 25 seats immediatly around the box rather than be forced to actively watch the area during a Dartmouth PP.

Posted by: Adam 04 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2003 12:02PM

On a related note. One time this year a guy that was in section C dumped a cup of soda on a player in the penalty box. Although this was inappropriate on his part, the player in the box definitely provoked the situation by spraying water over the glass. I think it started when the player threw a tantrum in the box, he got heckled a bit for his antics, then sprayed his water on many innocent fans. I guess the NCAA rules state that only positive interactions between fans and participants are allowed. I understand the plight of the players and coaches, if they can't have negative encounters with fans, why should the fans be allowed to get away with all the negative stuff? In a situation like at Colgate where the students can act like little sh[]ts (don't think there will be any ramifications for their actions) it speaks volume about the institution as a whole. I don't believe the coaches should be held responsible for the situation. Colgate should be held responsible for lack of policy and enforcement. However, the coach should be held responsible for his actions. Retaliations is not the best means to induce a change or resolve a problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login