Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Another Goalie Recruit

Posted by scoop85 
Another Goalie Recruit
Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: January 10, 2013 01:28PM

As per Twitter:

He's listed on the Taft website as a Senior. I wonder if he's USHL or BCHL bound. We now apparently have three solid goalie recruits in the pipeline with Coon, Gilliam and Hackett.

Re: Another Goalie Recruit
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 10, 2013 01:58PM

3 is a lot for Schafer. I wonder if any are wavering and this is insurance.

OTOH, we haven't had a really gripping goalie controversy since D'Alessio-Crozier. :)

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: January 10, 2013 02:12PM

Trotsky

OTOH, we haven't had a really gripping goalie controversy since D'Alessio-Crozier. :)

I thought the same thing, hence my use of the word "apparently" ;-)

Posted by: gonyr (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2013 03:50PM

Trotsky

Always thought of that as more of a platoon than a controversy. How about Bandurski-Skazyk for one year in the early '90s?

Posted by: cbuckser (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2013 05:37PM

gonyr
Trotsky

Always thought of that as more of a platoon than a controversy. How about Bandurski-Skazyk for one year in the early '90s?

Why must you reopen old wounds? :`-(

Mike Schafer has preferred to have the third-string goaltender be a recruit, rather than a walk-on. Nate Hicks and Chris Hogan are the exceptions, not the rule. Incidentally, Ryan Coon is from St. Louis, MO, just like Dan DiLeo.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2013 05:38PM

gonyr
Trotsky

There was no controversy. Both were... not the best. But Skazyk could steal the occasional game (11/11/95). Bandurski mostly flopped and made the crowd scream in terror.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2013 07:01PM

Scersk '97
gonyr
Trotsky

There was no controversy. Both were... not the best. But Skazyk could steal the occasional game (11/11/95). Bandurski mostly flopped and made the crowd scream in terror.

Those of us who saw Early Eddy will probably never be able to wrap our minds around him developing into a competent goalie by the end. We are simply too scarred.

He may still be the "most improved over career" player I've ever seen.

Posted by: gonyr (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2013 08:43PM

Scersk '97
gonyr
Trotsky

It is a controversy, just not the good kind. Like picking a starting QB for the Arizona Cardinals.

I sort of knew Bandurski as a friend-of-a-friend in the dorm. Still remember throwing a baseball around on West Campus and discovering that he couldn't catch. Not the best skill to be missing for a goaltender. Skazyk I mostly recall for often being wildly out of position but then diving back across the crease to make a save. Almost 20 years later, I can't be the only one that wishes Duffus had stayed a bit longer.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2013 08:45PM by gonyr.

Date: January 10, 2013 10:22PM

gonyr
Skazyk I mostly recall for often being wildly out of position but then diving back across the crease to make a save. Almost 20 years later, I can't be the only one that wishes Duffus had stayed a bit longer.

Hopefully footage will never emerge of Eddy's first start at Colgate. There was one sequence when he fell on his butt and used his stick to kind of pry himself over to the far post. He got there a full second after the Gate forward had corralled the puck and missed a 97% open net. Without attempting to get up Eddy swerved and paddled back across to the other post in time for another Raider to beat him glove side by a 3-count.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2013 10:23PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2013 10:51AM

Duffus was incredible in '91-'92. Made some of the best saves I have ever seen a college goalie make, and I've seen probably 500 college games (250+ live) including 50+ games by a goalie named Marty Turco.

Watching the 1976 Stanley Cup finals on the NHL network right now. I'm surprised by how little hitting there is. Game looks half speed, most players aren't wearing a helmet or a mouthguard. Several are chewing gum. The game has really changed, no wonder concussions are seemingly a bigger problem today even with helmets. The one player who looks like he could play in today's game is Dryden. Very quick, he's much bigger than I thought, really fills the net. No rebounds.

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2013 11:25AM

RatushnyFan
Duffus was incredible in '91-'92. Made some of the best saves I have ever seen a college goalie make, and I've seen probably 500 college games (250+ live) including 50+ games by a goalie named Marty Turco.

Watching the 1976 Stanley Cup finals on the NHL network right now. I'm surprised by how little hitting there is. Game looks half speed, most players aren't wearing a helmet or a mouthguard. Several are chewing gum. The game has really changed, no wonder concussions are seemingly a bigger problem today even with helmets. The one player who looks like he could play in today's game is Dryden. Very quick, he's much bigger than I thought, really fills the net. No rebounds.
That Flyers team was really beat up by the time they got to that final. They were missing several key players including one Bernie Parent. Bet if they were healthy, that series would have been far more physical. (Not that Parent would change the physicality of that match at all).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 11:27AM by css228.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: January 11, 2013 04:49PM

Ah, Eddy. I will admit that watching him start his career by going 0-11 tended to color my perception of him a bit -- probably unfairly -- but I still can remember fully expecting him to give up at least one of THOSE goals during every game he was in, and even after he improved rather dramatically and became Better Eddy, it still kept happening. To be fair, one needs to remember that:

1) Eddy was not with the Big Red for what would have been the fall semester of his freshman year. He matriculated at Cornell for the spring of '93, joined the team in mid-January, and was starting that Colgate game a week and a half later,

and

2) For Eddy's first two-plus years, the team in front of him was -- what would the polite euphemism be? -- god-awful.

Still, Eddy does own that curse-busting win over the Crimson from his senior year, and that is not a bad legacy to have at all.

BTW, one of the Harvard goals in the second period is missing from that box score. I am not in any way suggesting that it should be fixed... just mentioning it...

Date: January 11, 2013 05:49PM

Give My Regards
BTW, one of the Harvard goals in the second period is missing from that box score. I am not in any way suggesting that it should be fixed... just mentioning it...

Good catch! (Fixed now.)

Believe me, any and all corrections are welcome.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 04:28PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 12, 2013 04:36PM

gonyr
Almost 20 years later, I can't be the only one that wishes Duffus had stayed a bit longer.

I still wish Dadswell AND Duffus had each stayed one more year. It wouldn't have gotten Cornell to 13 ECAC titles, but it would have made the 87 and 93 bumps a lot less jarring.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2013 09:47PM

Trotsky

Depending on your definition of gripping:

[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2013 09:41AM

Trotsky

I thought Underhill-LeNeveu was a pretty gripping seesaw, though "controversy" maybe isn't the right word since (if I recall correctly) everyone knew that they were both good options.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: January 14, 2013 09:59AM

Josh '99
Trotsky

I thought Underhill-LeNeveu was a pretty gripping seesaw, though "controversy" maybe isn't the right word since (if I recall correctly) everyone knew that they were both good options.

IIRC, the only thing bordering on "controversial" was going Underhill-only for the post-season, after a very successful Friday/Saturday platoon throughout the year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login