Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3 Clarkson 1: Just Win, Baby

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 3 Clarkson 1: Just Win, Baby
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 06:31PM

Final: Cornell 3 Clarkson 1.

Cornell entered tonight's game against Clarkson with a 5-game winless streak in conference. It was only the fourth time that has happened in the 378 ECAC games of the Schafer era. There has still never been a 6-game streak under Schafer.

2000 0-5-0
2007 0-3-2
2012 0-2-3
2013 0-3-2
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 09:35PM by Trotsky.

Re: Clarkson at Cornell: Just Win, Baby
Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 08:59PM

2nd Period was quite a period for the refs. Cornell played a man down for almost a minute before Schafer points out during a stoppage in play they should be playing 5 on 5. Refs correct mistake. Would have really been something if Clarkson scored.

Posted by: Ben (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2012 10:19PM

flyersgolf
2nd Period was quite a period for the refs. Cornell played a man down for almost a minute before Schafer points out during a stoppage in play they should be playing 5 on 5. Refs correct mistake. Would have really been something if Clarkson scored.
To make it even better, Ryan, whose number was up on the scoreboard, was out on the ice during that Clarkson PP. Good to see Gotovets get back out after that nasty hit.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2012 12:02AM

That whole sequence made no sense whatsoever.

Ryan's five minute major was announced as "leaving the bench to enter an altercation" or something like that, which is exactly what happened. But then after he played the shift while his number was on the scoreboard indicating he should have been in the penalty box, the refs had Arthur announce that the penalty was issued by mistake. What? That made absolutely no sense. And on top of that, after Cornell played almost a minute with a man down (Ferlin was actually in the box, and they had been skating 5-4), the refs should have reset the game clock to where the "mistaken" penalty had started, and had them play 5-5 from there.

Also while they were sorting things out, one of the linesman (Clarke, I think) skated to the Cornell bench at least twice, indicating that Ryan should be off the bench, in the locker room.

Very strange indeed.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 08:47AM by andyw2100.

Re: Cornell 3 Clarkson 1: Just Win, Baby
Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2012 12:42AM

Trotsky
2013 0-3-2

How do you know what's going to happen next year?

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2012 12:44AM

andyw2100
And on top of that, after Cornell played almost a minute with a man down (Ferlin was actually in the box, and they had been skating 5-4), the refs should have reset the game clock to where the "mistaken" penalty had started, and had them play 5-5 from there.

I thought this was the worst part of the whole debacle. The refs eventually sorted out the penalties, but we needlessly played a man down for a minute, which was never corrected. If Clarkson had scored during this span, somehow I doubt that the goal would have been reversed.

Date: December 01, 2012 12:52AM

jtn27
Trotsky
2013 0-3-2

How do you know what's going to happen next year?

Next year is 2014.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 07:50AM

Great-uncle Ezra has been watching Cornell hockey since Beebe Lake.
He said, "I ain't never seen nothin' like that there deebocle."
"That Dell fella should stick ta makin' them cheap computers."

Not to mention that the Clarkson fans/band put on a show of there own.
Rampant obscenities, bird flipping, ejections....yee, hah!

Like that old saying goes, "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out".

All in all, a great night for the $price$ of admission!!

flipc

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2012 03:18PM

Johnny 5

Not to mention that the Clarkson fans/band put on a show of there own.
Rampant obscenities, bird flipping, ejections....yee, hah!

flipc

Were the s#$@heads in their band banging on the drum during play?

We tried to get the folks at RIP to deal with them last year to no avail. Weenie little s%)ts on both sides of that.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2012 03:43PM

The clakson band kept playing over arthur so I guess some of their fans don't care about trying to understand what was going on or hear stats.
When the ref debacle was finally somewhat sorted out and Arthur tried telling everyone what was happening their band was still just banging away with random crap and it evoked a giant shut up in unison from section N townies, forceful enough that it startled several of the knights fans.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2012 04:29PM

marty

Were the s#$@heads in their band banging on the drum during play?

We tried to get the folks at RIP to deal with them last year to no avail. Weenie little s%)ts on both sides of that.

Yup...and not just the drums: the whole band would continuing playing for 5-10 seconds after the puck dropped just to finish a song. They know the refs will never issue a penalty for it so why not be an ass about it?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2012 05:32PM

Not to mention playing while the Cornell band was playing. Other than teams-entering-the-ice and post-goal/period, there is typically some band etiquette they seem to ignore. They did, at least, seem to stop their annoying percussion-during-play antics.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 01, 2012 07:10PM

I believe it's Clarkson that's notorious for starting to play when the tubas begin Swanee, no?

Date: December 05, 2012 08:15PM

CowbellGuy
Not to mention playing while the Cornell band was playing. Other than teams-entering-the-ice and post-goal/period, there is typically some band etiquette they seem to ignore. They did, at least, seem to stop their annoying percussion-during-play antics.

If the Lynah police can (attempt to) control swearing and if the police at the University of Minnesota NCAA tourney site could confiscate a cowbell hanging out in the band, why can't rink directors read the riot act to the Clarkson band before they misbehave?
deadhorse

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 05, 2012 11:57PM

marty
CowbellGuy

If the Lynah police can (attempt to) control swearing and if the police at the University of Minnesota NCAA tourney site could confiscate a cowbell hanging out in the band, why can't rink directors read the riot act to the Clarkson band before they misbehave?
deadhorse

Meh. I like it when they misbehave. Gives us someone to yell at. And I don't like heavy-handed efforts by the rink staff to control anybody.

Date: December 06, 2012 12:43AM

Scersk '97
marty
CowbellGuy

deadhorse

Meh. I like it when they misbehave. Gives us someone to yell at. And I don't like heavy-handed efforts by the rink staff to control anybody.

Fun in Lynah, no fun in Troy. At RIP, the fans are understandably moribund and yelling at the opponents is restricted to one or two cheers.

At least I enjoy the hockey and have good friends to sit with.

Happy New Year as the next home game in Troy is on December 31 and thankfully not hosting CCT.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 01:58AM

marty
CowbellGuy

deadhorse

My dead horse is that we're probably the only rink in the league now that doesn't restrict visiting bands to the NCAA-tournament limit of 25 playing members. At least that's what has happened to the Cornell band in (I think) every rink in the league the past few years. 30-40+ kids make roadtrips and in every arena there's some Athletics Nazi counting people with instruments, so a dozen or so bandies who ride all over the northeast for many games are sitting there with Waldo shirts on, but no instruments. I guess they have that right, being their building and all, but it still pisses me off. It never used to be that way, anywhere. If you don't want your building taken over, maybe get some fans. And original chants.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 02:51AM

Whoever came up with the 25-member limit in the first place was clearly both an idiot and a Nazi.

"Grab a rope! Find a tree! Let's go hang the guy who came up with this arbitrary number!"
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2012 02:52AM by Scersk '97.

Date: December 06, 2012 05:48AM

I suppose the band could call ahead to, you know, see if there's a limit?

Posted by: judy (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 11:06AM

Trotsky

Why are you trying to be logical and make sense?

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: December 06, 2012 11:38AM

RichH
marty
CowbellGuy

deadhorse

My dead horse is that we're probably the only rink in the league now that doesn't restrict visiting bands to the NCAA-tournament limit of 25 playing members. At least that's what has happened to the Cornell band in (I think) every rink in the league the past few years. 30-40+ kids make roadtrips and in every arena there's some Athletics Nazi counting people with instruments, so a dozen or so bandies who ride all over the northeast for many games are sitting there with Waldo shirts on, but no instruments. I guess they have that right, being their building and all, but it still pisses me off. It never used to be that way, anywhere. If you don't want your building taken over, maybe get some fans. And original chants.

I don't know what the case is now but back in '02, Cornell rink staff gave visiting bands a hard time on the limit, which gave us a 51 vs 25 advantage in size. I also recall routinely ignoring the limits in other rinks (and NCAA games). My position has always been that no one is going to stop you if you have the bodies and buy the tickets. Confidence and the ability to convincingly plead ignorance go a long way. The only time we were ever completely screwed by NCAA band "rules" was the women's lax final four when we were told that bands could only play at halftime. Not after goals or anything else.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 12:09PM

Chris '03
Confidence and the ability to convincingly plead ignorance go a long way.

Pretty good dating advice.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: December 06, 2012 12:11PM

Trotsky

They do exactly that to, **YOU KNOW**, tell them that they're coming and to buy the regular block of visiting band tickets. What usually happens is the band sends their usual full bus, and those who sit out and don't play for the Friday game swap off with people and get to play for the Saturday game elsewhere.

I've seen at Ingalls an arena/athletics staff member stand at the door and actually count the number of kids coming in with instruments. My point is that it's a shitty policy that used to be a very rare occurance. IIRC, the first time we encountered this, we found that clarinet cases fit nicely inside tuba bells and piccolos can be hidden easily up the sleeves of polo shirts.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-192-13.myvzw.com)
Date: December 06, 2012 12:28PM

RichH

I've seen at Ingalls an arena/athletics staff member stand at the door and actually count the number of kids coming in with instruments. My point is that it's a shitty policy that used to be a very rare occurance. IIRC, the first time we encountered this, we found that clarinet cases fit nicely inside tuba bells and piccolos can be hidden easily up the sleeves of polo shirts.

This is hilarious as my son once brought my daughter into the Eli band section (circa 2003) so that she could enjoy the game while pretending to play her flute (she didn't know the tunes). The rink was sold out for the Cornell game, of course. He did manage to score center ice seats for his mom and dad that night.

At the same game he also rescued the younger brother of one of his classmates, using him as an ersatz band member so that he wouldn't have to sit through "The Vagina Monologues" with his sister.

Date: December 06, 2012 12:40PM

RichH
Trotsky

They do exactly that to, **YOU KNOW**, tell them that they're coming and to buy the regular block of visiting band tickets. What usually happens is the band sends their usual full bus, and those who sit out and don't play for the Friday game swap off with people and get to play for the Saturday game elsewhere.

My point was if you get turned away from the door for breaking a policy that, however wrongheaded, you knew about beforehand, then that's on you, not the rink.

Having said which, I am all for the pep band putting 80 in the stands at Harvard on the understanding that someday maybe Michigan will bring 800 to Lynah.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: December 06, 2012 01:06PM

Trotsky
RichH
Trotsky

My point was if you get turned away from the door for breaking a policy that, however wrongheaded, you knew about beforehand, then that's on you, not the rink.

Having said which, I am all for the pep band putting 80 in the stands at Harvard on the understanding that someday maybe Michigan will bring 800 to Lynah.

Yes, exactly (Michigan will never come to Lynah, and good luck getting 800 tickets). Any opponent arguing that it's an "NCAA Rule" is absolutely wrong. The NCAA only limits bands to 25 for NCAA Tournament games. If a University limits the opposing band, they are doing so for their own jerky reasons, and not due to any NCAA policy. They should say so instead of hiding behind some lame excuse.

Posted by: Robb (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2012 02:50PM

RichH
Yes, exactly (Michigan will never come to Lynah, and good luck getting 800 tickets). Any opponent arguing that it's an "NCAA Rule" is absolutely wrong. The NCAA only limits bands to 25 for NCAA Tournament games. If a University limits the opposing band, they are doing so for their own jerky reasons, and not due to any NCAA policy. They should say so instead of hiding behind some lame excuse.
Good point. The NCAA doesn't even mandate what OT rules you have to use for regular season games, much less how many people are in the bands.

Date: December 06, 2012 04:24PM

RichH

I agree with all of this (particularly about Michigan never coming to Lynah, although hey, CC, Denver and UNO are a start).

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: December 06, 2012 04:36PM

Trotsky
RichH

I agree with all of this (particularly about Michigan never coming to Lynah, although hey, CC, Denver and UNO [and North Dakota and Michigan State]are a start).

Red has to retire eventually...

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2012 05:04PM

Trotsky
RichH

I agree with all of this (particularly about Michigan never coming to Lynah, although hey, CC, Denver and UNO are a start).
When did UNO travel to Lynah?

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: December 06, 2012 05:04PM

Chris '03
Trotsky
RichH

I agree with all of this (particularly about Michigan never coming to Lynah, although hey, CC, Denver and UNO [and North Dakota and Michigan State]are a start).

Red has to retire eventually...

I think it's more about the x hundred thousand dollar loss to UM every lost home date represents. Red's sin is he can do the math. I don't blame him.

Date: December 06, 2012 05:05PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Trotsky
RichH

When did UNO travel to Lynah?

See PM for Details.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login