Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Michigan-Cornell@MSG

Posted by BearLover 
Michigan-Cornell@MSG
Posted by: BearLover (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: November 20, 2012 12:46AM

MSG has not been kind to the Red, but they've been one minute/one bad call away from winning their last two appearances there. It's difficult to overstate just how big this game is. It will be awesome being there. LGR

Re: Michigan-Cornell@MSG
Posted by: Ben (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2012 01:30AM

I'll be in Section 208 with jtn27, css228, and hopefully a flag (if MSG security will allow me to bring it in). Where are other ELFers?

Posted by: carpy85 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 20, 2012 12:37PM

I have to admit I am really excited because I am still new to Cornell hockey and I have never seen the Big Red play at the Madison Square Garden and I will be sitting only for rows up from the glass!

Lets all hope Cornell will play more like they did at the Colorado games and with the intensity like what they had against Dartmouth!

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2012 05:04PM

Is there anyway to view this game online?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2012 05:31PM

flyersgolf

It is available on the MSG cable network. Are you able to watch it on TV?

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 20, 2012 10:33PM

marty
flyersgolf

It is available on the MSG cable network.
OH THANK GOD. It breaks my heart that I can't go. I'm not sure if I'll be in front of a TV but if I can just keep myself off of Twitter until Sunday ni...

I guess I'll know the result when I watch.

Posted by: BMac (---.smartleaf.com)
Date: November 21, 2012 12:54PM

I'll be in 208 with twelve other people, including RedAndBlue, who has a funny story.

RedAndBlue was one of the guys who with me and LaJollaRed "led" section A in hoarse shouting for 2006-08. He then moved to Michigan for grad school, and has retained that position of "visible loud guy" there. He will be forsaking the blue, of course, for this game.

I'm kind of hoping he comes in a michigan jersey and tears it up to reveal a red jersey underneath. On the jumbotron, with smoke. Maybe hail to the victors will play, be interrupted by a record-scratching sound followed by Davy.

Posted by: RM 08 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 01:06PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but from an MSG Network press release:

"Cornell, which is expected to wear camouflage jerseys during the second period of Saturday’s game in support of The Wounded Warrior Project..."

Should be pretty interesting. Red camo or regular camo?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 01:17PM

RM 08
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but from an MSG Network press release:

"Cornell, which is expected to wear camouflage jerseys during the second period of Saturday’s game in support of The Wounded Warrior Project..."

The Harvard fans have been wearing camo for decades...

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 01:23PM

[/quote]The Harvard fans have been wearing camo for decades...[/quote]

That explains a lot it is very very effective. I wonder how they camouflage their cheers so well?

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 01:23PM

RM 08

I hope they look nicer than the Padres' awful camo uniforms, which might just be the worst non-throwback/special event uniform I've ever seen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 01:24PM by jtn27.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 01:32PM

jtn27
RM 08

I hope they look nicer than the Padres' awful camo uniforms, which might just be the worst non-throwback/special event uniform I've ever seen.

The problem there is the white pants. I don't see anything wrong with it from the waist up.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 01:39PM

RM 08

I am hoping red-based camouflage.

Does anyone know if these jerseys be sold at the game for a profit to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project? I hope so. That would be for a good cause.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 01:47PM

BMac
I'll be in 208 with twelve other people, including RedAndBlue, who has a funny story.

RedAndBlue was one of the guys who with me and LaJollaRed "led" section A in hoarse shouting for 2006-08. He then moved to Michigan for grad school, and has retained that position of "visible loud guy" there. He will be forsaking the blue, of course, for this game.

I'm kind of hoping he comes in a michigan jersey and tears it up to reveal a red jersey underneath. On the jumbotron, with smoke. Maybe hail to the victors will play, be interrupted by a record-scratching sound followed by Davy.

"That's... that's David Fletcher Hoy's music!"

Posted by: jtn27 (---.sub-70-192-67.myvzw.com)
Date: November 21, 2012 01:47PM

Kyle Rose
The problem there is the white pants. I don't see anything wrong with it from the waist up.

The white pants obviously don't help, but I think it's the shirt that's the problem. There's too much going on. Plus, it's a little difficult to read the team name. They have a beige camo one too that looks a little nicer than the green one but not by much.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 01:49PM

jtn27
Kyle Rose

The white pants obviously don't help, but I think it's the shirt that's the problem. There's too much going on. Plus, it's a little difficult to read the team name.
Forgive my naievete, but... isn't that the point?

Posted by: jtn27 (---.sub-70-192-67.myvzw.com)
Date: November 21, 2012 01:59PM

Kyle Rose
jtn27
Kyle Rose

The white pants obviously don't help, but I think it's the shirt that's the problem. There's too much going on. Plus, it's a little difficult to read the team name.
Forgive my naievete, but... isn't that the point?
I don't think so. I think the writing is still supposed to be legible over the camo.

Edit: Besides, even if it was intentional, that doesn't mean it looks good. It was a bad idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 03:18PM by jtn27.

Date: November 21, 2012 03:01PM

Well done, Josh.

One of my great memories at Cornell was naturalizing as an American citizen. I went down to Tompkins County Courthouse with a friend, did the pledge, had lunch at Simeon's, and went back to West. My suitemates insisted on playing Hulk Hogan's theme music for me.

I am a real American... Fight for the right of every man...

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: November 21, 2012 03:18PM

jtn27
Kyle Rose

The white pants obviously don't help, but I think it's the shirt that's the problem. There's too much going on. Plus, it's a little difficult to read the team name. They have a beige camo one too that looks a little nicer than the green one but not by much.

Those were also last used in 2005. They are currently on their 3rd iteration of camo design, this time with the copyrighted MARPAT design, with permission from the Marine Corps.

In the past, the Padres used camouflage uniforms representing designs used by the Army (woodland design from 2000-2005) and Navy SEALs (desert, 2006-2010). But those uniforms had bolder colors and designs. From a distance, you could tell those uniforms were designed to represent camouflage.

These are camouflage.

The Padres’ use of the copyrighted MARPAT design was approved by the Marine Corps last year after Padres CEO Jeff Moorad met with then Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Conway during the Padres’ visit to Washington to play the Nationals. Also on hand were five Marines with the Wounded Warriors program.

“I pulled out various looks of the new camouflage uniforms we were considering,” said Moorad. “Each of the soldiers chose this look.”

When replicas of the new camouflage uniforms become available in Padres stores, each will carry an official approval from the Marine Corps. A portion of each sale will benefit the Marine Corps Assistance Program.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2012 04:17PM

RM 08

Evidently, the camouflage will be white-based.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 05:34PM

Here they are:
/photo/1

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 21, 2012 10:18PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Here they are:
/photo/1

Well. Those sure are something.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 22, 2012 01:09AM

Jerseygirl
Aaron M. Griffin
Here they are:
/photo/1

Well. Those sure are something.

Maybe a couple of our forwards will be able to get behind their defense undetected and score few goals. The way things have gone the past few weeks, camouflage may not be a bad idea. It couldn't hurt. bolt

Date: November 22, 2012 09:29AM

Birch doesn't look too happy to be wearing that.

Date: November 22, 2012 10:00AM

I didn't know the army made pajamas.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2012 10:26AM

jtn27
Birch doesn't look too happy to be wearing that.
Well, the idea of university is to avoid the military...

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.dr01.hpjc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 22, 2012 08:37PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Here they are:
/photo/1
Hideous. If it actually looked like real camo, I might have bought one. Yikes.

(Sorry to be so negative. Is there something positive I can say about something to compensate? Ryan looked good last weekend. I can't wait to hit NYC and MSG on Saturday. LGR. Etc.)

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2012 03:35PM

If you really want camo on a hockey uniform, wouldn't you just wear white pants with our normal white jersey?doh

Posted by: Robb (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2012 08:17PM

TimV
If you really want camo on a hockey uniform, wouldn't you just wear white pants with our normal white jersey?doh
Something like this:

Posted by: srg1 (---.sub-70-192-70.myvzw.com)
Date: November 23, 2012 08:54PM

Is Cymbal Guy going to be there?

Posted by: Damnslope (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: November 24, 2012 01:25AM

Not sure if anyone here will be in NYC, but some of us will be pre gaming at New York Beer Company in hells kitchen at 6, then making our way over to MSG. Go Red!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2012 09:27AM

Great out-of-conference day yesterday. Let's hope we keep it up.

Date: November 24, 2012 07:19PM

Jim Hyla
Great out-of-conference day yesterday. Let's hope we keep it up.
Brutal Saturday for the conference heading into our game, with the ECAC being outscored 16-4:

Providence 7 Brown 0
BC 6 Dartmouth 3
Lowell 3 Princeton 1

Posted by: Snakes81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2012 09:12PM

Wounded Warrior jerseys look great!

Date: November 24, 2012 10:33PM

Ferlin's best game, by far. Some great assists, and although he was the fourth touch, he also was the reason another goal was scored. I hope this means he's back in form. He didn't get a star, but was instrumental in the win.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2012 10:37PM

Jim Hyla
Ferlin's best game, by far. Some great assists, and although he was the fourth touch, he also was the reason another goal was scored. I hope this means he's back in form. He didn't get a star, but was instrumental in the win.

Ferlin was a dominating presence. The team was really strong in all phases (although PP still needs work).

Posted by: BearLover (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 02:10AM

Great win! Iles was MVP tonight.

Posted by: WillR (---.static.netvigator.com)
Date: November 25, 2012 04:20AM

For those that missed the game, is there any video out there of the game or even just highlights? In other news, nice to have some success at MSG.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 07:21AM

I especially enjoyed Michigan's attempt at camouflage jerseys!!

Doesn't anybody on the CU website staff have an iPhone??

crazy

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2012 07:27AM

I loved this game. It reminded me of the game over UNH in January of 2010. But it was so much more.

Senior leadership yet with offensive talent showing in the freshmen and sophomores. Two of the goals came seconds after substitutions. The camera work showing the cycling and work in the corner before Tiitinen's goal was the best recruiting tool short of a trip to Lynah.

Thanks to the team and Schafer for a great evening.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 25, 2012 09:09AM

WillR
For those that missed the game, is there any video out there of the game or even just highlights? In other news, nice to have some success at MSG.

Game will be replayed at 4:30 pm today on MSG. Presumably an eLF'er who knows how could tape it (if someone didn't already last night) and post highlights.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 09:33AM

Up close or maybe on TV the jerseys looked pretty good. From a distance (the stands), they were mottled.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 09:58AM

Here's an article (with photos too) that was posted on the Michigan Daily News website last night. Still nothing on the Sun website, which looks like it hasn't been updated since Nov. 20.
As far as the game itself, everything was great (the team, the pep band, the fans, etc.!) except for the terrible looking camouflage jerseys. It was difficult to read the players' numbers from the stands. But since we scored two goals during the second period while wearing them, we can't complain too much about them.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2012 10:32AM

Gotta get one of those new-fangled hi-daffynition teevees, Bill.nut

Posted by: Swampy (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2012 10:35AM

marty
I loved this game. It reminded me of the game over UNH in January of 2010. But it was so much more.

Senior leadership yet with offensive talent showing in the freshmen and sophomores. Two of the goals came seconds after substitutions. The camera work showing the cycling and work in the corner before Tiitinen's goal was the best recruiting tool short of a trip to Lynah.

Thanks to the team and Schafer for a great evening.

I was surprised MSG treated us as the clear home team, complete with turning down the lights and shining spotlights on "Your" Big Red players during introductions. If nothing else, it looks like the new NYC campus might give us another recruiting tool, now being able to promise recruits 4 appearances at the world's most famous arena, AKA Lynah Midtown. coffee

Date: November 25, 2012 10:56AM

Swampy
If nothing else, it looks like the new NYC campus might give us another recruiting tool, now being able to promise recruits 4 appearances at the world's most famous arena, AKA Lynah Midtown.

If it works, use it.

Re: Michigan-Cornell@MSG - TV at the seats
Date: November 25, 2012 11:12AM

TimV
Gotta get one of those new-fangled hi-daffynition teevees, Bill.nut

Thx for tip, Tim. Liked the idea so much, I had one at the game. (And thank you, Todd Lose, for the awesome seats.) The feed runs 10 seconds behind live action. You can watch the goal scored in real time (here Cornell's 3rd, I believe), spend 5-7 seconds watching the on-ice celebration and admiring the Cornell Camo jerseys, then glance down to see the goal on TV. These were the seats in row 1 of the 200 sections, the start of the upper level. (The camera shot is from chest level; you can easily see over the displays.)

Date: November 25, 2012 11:28AM

Johnny 5

An iPhone? All you need is any cell phone made in the last 10 years.

dbilmes
Still nothing on the Sun website, which looks like it hasn't been updated since Nov. 20.

We're still on vacation. We'll get back to work this evening.

Posted by: gomestar (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2012 11:42AM

quick pic I snapped after the 3rd Cornell goal. The jerseys looked pretty good up close.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 12:37PM

If anyone is looking for a highlight package of the game, you can find it over at [www.mgoblue.com]

That's what you call a good athletics website

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 01:21PM

Well that was fun. Also finally found my password so I'm back! A couple things. This team has been playing a lot better since the beginning of Harvard weekend. It's great to see the results finally match the process.This was a big win for a team that desperately needed one. Great puck possession, good cycling, and good passing on one of the worst ice surfaces in the NHL, which can only mean good things. Here's hoping this form follows us into next weekend and our final four OOC games.

Posted by: jaywbigred (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 03:33PM

I thought the atmosphere was great. I've been to all the MSG games and the Prudential game and this was probably my favorite.

The highlight for me was when the band played Across the Field (Ohio State fight song) late in the third period. As an OSU Law grad, it was a special cap to a special day of Michigan hatred!

And despite my hatred of Michigan, I was very impressed with their draw given how far from Ann Arbor the game was played and, as others have pointed out, that it was the night of The Game. Its often stated how large the NYC alumni/fan base are for UM, Oh. St., Mich. St. etc but it was cool to see it in person.

It also lends credence to the Big Ten's strategy adding Rutgers and Maryland under the theory that they have an east coast presence already, and beefing it up will only add to the Big Ten fan base, Big Ten Network cable subscribers, and ultimately conference revenue. College football talk has been awash with rumors of the Big Ten opening a satellite governance/media office in NYC or Hoboken...

So an annual or biennial game against a Big Ten team might have some legs especially in future years as the Big Ten east coast presence grows.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 04:55PM

And the MSG Network's website has posted a video on our goaltending legacy as well as an interview with Red Berenson (with CU players doing pre-game prep things in the background).

[www.msg.com]
[www.msg.com]

Date: November 25, 2012 06:39PM

RichH
And the MSG Network's website has posted a video on our goaltending legacy as well as an interview with Red Berenson (with CU players doing pre-game prep things in the background).

[www.msg.com]
[www.msg.com]

Those were intermission pieces. As an aside the announcers said we were the home team and that we wanted to do it every year. Almost implied that it was a done deal.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2012 07:14PM

Jim Hyla
RichH

[www.msg.com]
[www.msg.com]

Those were intermission pieces. As an aside the announcers said we were the home team and that we wanted to do it every year. Almost implied that it was a done deal.

He should change his name to Big Red Bearenson.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.northlandsecurities.com)
Date: November 26, 2012 08:45AM

Great game, I enjoyed attending, even in section 417.....group of 30 kids and parents from our youth hockey program.

Espo looked like he's struggling with an ankle injury still, he could not push off one of his feet and had trouble changing direction. Took a couple of hard hits as well. Hope he gets better.

Trouba made some mistakes but you can see his talent. I've never seen Michigan goaltending look this hopeless after 10+ games.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: November 26, 2012 09:19AM

Date: November 26, 2012 11:29AM

I have nothing intelligent whatsoever to add. (Much like the interview my wife and I did as we came into the building. I wonder whether it ended up on tv anywhere).

Anyways, YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS.

I'm still so happy because of that game. Yeah, we lost to Q, P and sucks. But our guys are playing well, Andy's playing awesome (did you SEE that highlight?!), and we have a high ceiling. (See, I told you I had nothing intelligent to add)

Anyways, great showing by our fans and our band. My only wish is that my voice were loud enough to consistently needle Racine from section 208. I had to settle for occasional reminders that he's awful, his teammates hate him, and scouts are probably watching this game.

Posted by: gomestar (199.67.131.---)
Date: November 26, 2012 11:48AM

I, too, have a few thoughts of suspect intelligence, but here they go:

Teemu T. had a strong game even aside from the goal. He's quick and tenacious, and it was this tenacity that led to a great 3rd period shift and drew a Michigan penalty. The flip side? He was the one burned by the D at the point that led to the Michigan goal. This was only his second game of the year, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see him for a few shifts next week.

D'Agostino seemed to fumble with the puck a few too many times, both in the defensive zone and at the point (one turnover at the point could have been a shorty opportunity for Michigan had they not also fumbled the puck). It was also his turnover that led to a Harvard goal. I always saw him as a rock on D, but he seems off this year.

Miller - great game all around and had 3 points to show for it.

Ferlin - also a great game.

We were much more disciplined this game than we have been in other games, and this was good to see.

It seemed like we started the 2nd and 3rd periods flat footed for about 5 minutes. The Michigan fan behind me had an appropriate comment - "those camo jerseys must be incredibly heavy".

Michigan is certainly a faster team, and they might even be more skilled, but I thought our work along the boards was superior and this was key to slowing them down and taking over the game.

Date: November 26, 2012 12:25PM

We played well, the pucks went in for us, and Iles was the better goaltender. Michigan got one break, the screened goal that seemed like the goal Dartmouth used to tie us the week before. One break we didn't get was the crossing pass in the third period (Miller?? to Esposito?) gently lifted over the on-the-ice defender that just missed being tapped in. It had Highlight Reel written all over it.

Despite the big margin of victory, you can see that fast teams (Union? Yale?) may be challenging for Cornell.

Date: November 26, 2012 12:58PM

Iles (or "Liles" if the guy starting chants a few rows down from me is to be believed) was indeed fantastic, making some big saves while the game was still scoreless or 1-0.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2012 01:40PM

For those who were at the game, what would you estimate the percentages of Cornell fans vs Michigan fans to have been? Someone posted in one of these threads that they thought it was at least 2/3 Cornell to 1/3 Michigan (or something close to that.) I actually would have estimated the attendance at something more like 80-85% Cornell fans to 15-20% Michigan fans. Am I way off? Wondering what others who were there would put the numbers at.

Posted by: hockeychick470 (---.cpmc.columbia.edu)
Date: November 26, 2012 02:02PM

according to the Young Alum facebook group "Here's a fun fact - Saturday's Cornell-Michigan hockey game at MSG was a sell out and 14,000 of the 17, 200 in attendance were Cornell fans! #LGR!"

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 02:09PM

billhoward

Despite the big margin of victory, you can see that fast teams (Union? Yale?) may be challenging for Cornell.

Isn't this our perennial problem? fast highly skilled teams?

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: November 26, 2012 02:28PM

andyw2100
For those who were at the game, what would you estimate the percentages of Cornell fans vs Michigan fans to have been? Someone posted in one of these threads that they thought it was at least 2/3 Cornell to 1/3 Michigan (or something close to that.) I actually would have estimated the attendance at something more like 80-85% Cornell fans to 15-20% Michigan fans. Am I way off? Wondering what others who were there would put the numbers at.

At the game, I initially estimated 70-30 split, but friends talked me down to 60-30 with the rest being neutral observers. I'd say that there were four sections in the 108-111 corner (extending to the upper deck) that were solidly Michigan seating, but you could pick out Michigan fans who were sprinkled throughout the other (mostly red-clad) sections. (It's immensely helpful to have an opponent who isn't also Red/White for these purposes.)

All-in-all, this was a very neutered Michigan fan showing. Given that it was the day of the Michigan-Ohio State game, they didn't have a band present, it's far away from Ann Arbor, yadda yadda blah, plus the fact that this event was clearly run by CU Athletics marketing, I've never seen a game where Michigan's participation was so overshadowed and such an afterthought. They did get to make some solid noise with their goal, but it was hard to get a hold on their "READY!" kickoff to their bastardized goal chant (moooooOOOOOORRRRE GOALS!!!) without their band present to lead them. I spent the latter half of the 2nd visiting friends in the 2nd deck, and found the stairwell headed back downstairs during the 2nd intermission to be full of UM folks heading for the streets. To my observation, I didn't see any poor sportsmanship or "fan friction" between any CU or UM fans either pregame or at the arena.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2012 02:34PM by RichH.

Date: November 26, 2012 03:06PM

hockeychick470
according to the Young Alum facebook group "Here's a fun fact - Saturday's Cornell-Michigan hockey game at MSG was a sell out and 14,000 of the 17, 200 in attendance were Cornell fans! #LGR!"
Open question: according to the MSG website and my personal knowledge from watching Rangers games for years, MSG's capacity for hockey is 18,200. The official box score for last year's game against BU says "18,200 (sellout)". The box score from collegehockeystats.net for this past weekend's game also says "18,200 (sellout)" and the box score on the CU Athletics website also says 18,200. However, I definitely remember that they announced the attendance during the game as 17,200. What was the attendance actually, anyone know? (And, tangent, has the capacity of MSG been changed due to the recent renovations? And, if so, is it a permanent decrease or a temporary one during construction?)

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: November 26, 2012 03:10PM

Josh '99
hockeychick470
Open question: according to the MSG website and my personal knowledge from watching Rangers games for years, MSG's capacity for hockey is 18,200. The official box score for last year's game against BU says "18,200 (sellout)". The box score from collegehockeystats.net for this past weekend's game also says "18,200 (sellout)" and the box score on the CU Athletics website also says 18,200. However, I definitely remember that they announced the attendance during the game as 17,200. What was the attendance actually, anyone know? (And, tangent, has the capacity of MSG been changed due to the recent renovations? And, if so, is it a permanent decrease or a temporary one during construction?)

Looks to be renovation related: [www.postingandtoasting.com]

Date: November 26, 2012 03:12PM

Chris '03
Josh '99
hockeychick470

Looks to be renovation related: [www.postingandtoasting.com]
Thanks. Apologies for asking what appears to have been a LMGTFY question.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 03:30PM

abmarks
billhoward

I'm pretty sure it's everybody's perennial problem. :)

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2012 04:33PM

Josh '99
hockeychick470

Also, most of the boxes were empty, which they probably don't count toward it being a sellout or not.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2012 05:06PM

Coach Schafer's emailed recap of the Michigan game earlier today included the info that the camo jerseys are being auctioned right now, on CornellBigRed.com. For the life of me, I cannot find anything about it on there. Anybody have any idea?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: November 26, 2012 05:08PM

Beeeej
Coach Schafer's emailed recap of the Michigan game earlier today included the info that the camo jerseys are being auctioned right now, on CornellBigRed.com. For the life of me, I cannot find anything about it on there. Anybody have any idea?
[cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2012 05:10PM

Chris '03
Beeeej
[cornellbigred.com]

Thanks. $400 minimum bid, with Iles already up to $1,000. Oy.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 26, 2012 07:20PM

abmarks
billhoward

I think their forecheck, utilizing their speed, is what kills us. Particularly the good 2 man forechek. I hate to think how many times we turned it over in the past 3-4 years.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 07:56PM

andyw2100

Just looking at the lower level, it was clear which sections had been allocated to Cornell and which to Michigan. Based on that, I would have said a tad under 3/4 Cornell. The sprinkling of yellow-shirted Michigan fans stood out in the Cornell sections, but even red-shirted Cornell fans would not have been as visible in the yellow.

We bought our tickets directly from Cornell, as opposed to past years where they let Ticketmaster peddle them. I assume that Michigan also got an allocation. Were there any other outlets (other than StubHub and the scalpers in front of the building)?

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 26, 2012 09:55PM

This was the first game I've seen this season, but...
-Iles looked great. Watching the highlights confirmed my impression. If he hadn't stopped those shots at 1-0, we might not be as gleeful.
-Great to see the team stay disciplined, even with the big stage. I think that playing at MSG every year will really improve our performance in these games, since most of the team won't be intimidated by the location/crowd.
-Ferlin and Lowry looked almost as good as they were at MSG last year. I know some people have said that their play dropped off a bit this year.
-Defense had a lot of trouble chasing down the speedy Michigan forwards, especially down low. I know we tend to rely on positioning, etc., but it doesn't seem to be too difficult to tire out our D with some fancy skating and stickwork. One of the the UM possessions had shades of "the shift" from up at UNH a few years back, except without the eventual goal.

As others have mentioned, if we can get a win in Florida and a win at Denver, we'll be in a great OOC position. Thanks to the band and the fans for a great atmosphere.

Posted by: nr53 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 11:27PM

This was the first time I missed a game at MSG. I think I'm officially banned from these games.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2012 11:39PM

Very solid effort by the Big Red. Michigan didn't seem to skate circles around us as they did in Green Bay (though some of that may be because I was sitting higher up, 225 row 2, for this one). Goaltending was a huge factor - Andy is really quick. As far back as last year's game, I described Ryan and D'Agostino to friends as "high risk, high reward." We've been seeing too much of the high risk lately and I'm sure Mike is addressing it. It's one thing when they gamble in offensively and another when they make bad passes or lose concentration at the blueline (Ryan). Jacob McDonald has developed into a very solid D-man and Bardreau seems more confident and less tentative on the ice. Birch is so solid back there we hardly notice him.

This team has as much upside potential as any since 2003 and more depth other than goalie than any team we've had. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Date: November 26, 2012 11:57PM

I can't believe I haven't read this yet from anyone but: we were the better team on the ice. Not just on the scoreboard, on the ice. Yes, Iles made some good saves but we had more good chances than Michigan did. We controlled the puck better than Michigan did. If Michigan would win a skills competition, so be it, but our team played better as a team than theirs did and for every sloppy play that we made, Michigan made three - and a lot of that "sloppiness" can be credited to Cornell's work.

Also, Racine kinda sucks and Iles most certainly does not.

We were better in front, on the back line and in net. Cornell won because Cornell is a better team. We couldn't say that last year but if that game is any indication, we can now.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2012 02:10AM

A little love for our fans from a poster on the Michigan thread on USCHO

By the way, I have to compliment the Cornell fans. They were very impressive. Yes, they outnumbered Michigan fans 2 or 3 to 1. Yes, they had a lot more to cheer about. Yes, they had their band and we didn't. But they were more creative, not just louder. The "Beat Ohio" taunt at the start was particularly clever. Every school (including Cornell) has its standard repertoire of canned chants, but I miss the days when our fans used to improvise like that...the Yost crowds are still great and enthusiastic, but when was the last time you heard something new that made you laugh?

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2012 07:13AM

jtn27
Johnny 5

dbilmes
Still nothing on the Sun website, which looks like it hasn't been updated since Nov. 20.

1.) Obviously an iPhone, because the best team deserves coverage employing the most advanced & sophisticated technology. Neh?
2.) Real journalists are never on vacation. Anybody remember Walter Cronkite ever missing a story because he was out sunning in the Hamptons?? Not hardly.

Anyways,....go CU beat CU!!

Sorry about diverting the thread.

cheer

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 27, 2012 08:21AM

ugarte
I can't believe I haven't read this yet from anyone but: we were the better team on the ice.
You are absolutely right. As I posted to one of my Michigan friends on Facebook:
krose
The bottom line is that Cornell dominated play for most of the game: there was one 2 minute section where Michigan had control of the puck in Cornell's end for an extended period, but otherwise Cornell dictated play for the most part. Believe me, I'm as shocked as you are. :-) ... Cornell's play down low in the Michigan end was incredible: they almost always came up with the puck in battles in the corners, and managed to thread it through the Michigan defenders for scoring chances quite frequently.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:25AM

Johnny 5
1.) Obviously an iPhone, because the best team deserves coverage employing the most advanced & sophisticated technology. Neh?
The iPhone is more like western bias back when NCAA tournament teams were chosen in smoke-filled back rooms: no one doubts they're good, but they are also the recipients of unfair advantages granted by an unelected oligarchy. :-D

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 27, 2012 08:51AM

Johnny 5
jtn27
Johnny 5

dbilmes

2.) Real journalists are never on vacation. Anybody remember Walter Cronkite ever missing a story because he was out sunning in the Hamptons?? Not hardly.

cheer

No, actually he was sailing off Cape Cod.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2012 09:16AM

Kyle Rose
ugarte
I can't believe I haven't read this yet from anyone but: we were the better team on the ice.
You are absolutely right. As I posted to one of my Michigan friends on Facebook:
krose
The bottom line is that Cornell dominated play for most of the game: there was one 2 minute section where Michigan had control of the puck in Cornell's end for an extended period, but otherwise Cornell dictated play for the most part. Believe me, I'm as shocked as you are. :-) ... Cornell's play down low in the Michigan end was incredible: they almost always came up with the puck in battles in the corners, and managed to thread it through the Michigan defenders for scoring chances quite frequently.

Even during that 2 minute stretch where Michigan had the puck in Cornell's zone, they only got one or two shots off. Cornell did a pretty good job of keeping the puck along the boards and preventing Michigan from shooting or even passing cleanly.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (209.68.69.---)
Date: November 27, 2012 10:53AM

Jim Hyla
Johnny 5
jtn27
Johnny 5

dbilmes

cheer

Tilting at windmills??

thud

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-192-14.myvzw.com)
Date: November 27, 2012 11:55AM

Johnny 5
Jim Hyla
Johnny 5
jtn27
Johnny 5

dbilmes

cheer

Tilting at windmills??

thud

Speaking of windmills ....

These are still in the planning stages.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (209.68.69.---)
Date: November 27, 2012 12:19PM

marty
Johnny 5
Jim Hyla
Johnny 5
jtn27
Johnny 5

dbilmes

cheer

Tilting at windmills??

thud

Speaking of windmills ....

These are still in the planning stages.

LOL!

Watch out for the lobster pot buoys!!!

drive

Posted by: rdez79 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: November 27, 2012 12:28PM

ugarte

Also, Racine kinda sucks and Iles most certainly does not.

Racine and Iles faced off in HS, Racine at Taft and Iles at Salisbury, Racine is 21 yr old fr.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: November 27, 2012 12:34PM

nr53
This was the first time I missed a game at MSG. I think I'm officially banned from these games.

Me as well ...

In any event, we were the better team in all phases of the game. It was great to see the effort payoff with pucks in the net.

Date: November 27, 2012 06:24PM

nr53
You aren't allowed at MSG and I have to go to every game in Hanover (9-0-1).

Date: November 27, 2012 09:47PM

Trotsky
and I have to go to every game in Hanover (9-0-1).
Clearly you have missed a lot of games there.

Date: November 27, 2012 10:11PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Pretty much the whole last decade, yeah.

Date: November 29, 2012 12:12PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
I wouldn't say he's been MISSING it.

Date: November 29, 2012 03:38PM

Josh '99
Kyle Rose
Trotsky
I wouldn't say he's been MISSING it.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-192-2.myvzw.com)
Date: December 20, 2012 12:15PM

A classy greeting card with my second favorite fight song.

Hail

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login