Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

General Women's Thread

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: General Women's Thread CU 4 Princeton 1
Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2013 08:17PM

At the very least, everyone should bring fish posters. Same goes for those traveling to Lynah East.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 08:32PM

jtn27
At the very least, everyone should bring fish posters. Same goes for those traveling to Lynah East.

A crowd full of different fish posters would be far, far cooler than throwing fish, and lot more creative.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 10:34AM

Trotsky
jtn27

A crowd full of different fish posters would be far, far cooler than throwing fish, and lot more creative.

Creative, yes. Cooler, perhaps. But more memorable? More intimidating? More outrageous? More likely to become a tradition? Actual fish on the actual ice. I'm not surprised to see that the alumni on ELF don't want to get thrown out of the rink or cause a scene or be embarrassed or whatever middle-aged people might reasonably be concerned with. It's up to the students, plain and simple. And if the rink staff are ready for it, like with the men's game, no reason it should result in a delay of game.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 10:38AM

imafrshmn
Trotsky
jtn27

Creative, yes. Cooler, perhaps. But more memorable? More intimidating? More outrageous?
There's really nothing "outrageous" about the fish tradition anymore. I'm all for continuing it, but we've just been going through the motions for years.

Tying a chicken to the net was pretty outrageous. But the problem with traditions that commemorate specific events is they wind up just being me-too-ism. The first guy to throw an octopus on the ice in Detroit was a performance art genius. The hundredth guy? Not so much.

Note that this is not "embarrassment with causing a scene." PLEASE cause a scene -- that's what adolescence is for. If anything it's kind of sad that teen rebellion has become so imprisoned in the distant, long-dead carcass of reenacting what were the once daring actions of their middle aged precursors. "If your parents like your music you're doing it wrong."

I'd love to see the womens fans come up with a completely new and off the wall tradition of their own. And by all means, as jaw-droppingly offensive as possible. :)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2013 10:47AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 12:32PM

Trotsky
There's really nothing "outrageous" about the fish tradition anymore. I'm all for continuing it, but we've just been going through the motions for years.

Tying a chicken to the net was pretty outrageous. But the problem with traditions that commemorate specific events is they wind up just being me-too-ism. The first guy to throw an octopus on the ice in Detroit was a performance art genius. The hundredth guy? Not so much.

Note that this is not "embarrassment with causing a scene." PLEASE cause a scene -- that's what adolescence is for. If anything it's kind of sad that teen rebellion has become so imprisoned in the distant, long-dead carcass of reenacting what were the once daring actions of their middle aged precursors. "If your parents like your music you're doing it wrong."

I'd love to see the womens fans come up with a completely new and off the wall tradition of their own. And by all means, as jaw-droppingly offensive as possible. :)
Well said, Greg. I agree 100%. And, frankly, this goes for the mens' team's fans as well: I'm sick of Lynah being stuck in some late-90's repeating loop tape that sounds worse with each passing year. Fuck the old traditions: come up with some new ones, get people excited, and make noise.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 12, 2013 01:08PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky

Well said, Greg. I agree 100%. And, frankly, this goes for the mens' team's fans as well: I'm sick of Lynah being stuck in some late-90's repeating loop tape that sounds worse with each passing year. Fuck the old traditions: come up with some new ones, get people excited, and make noise.

Well, showing up with 5:00 left in the 1st is a new tradition.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2013 01:16PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky

We'd make a chant for Kilbrich if he just got more ice time.

Date: February 12, 2013 01:29PM

css228
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

Speaking of, there was a couple at the Friday game with half-and-half Q/Cornell jerseys and "Hilbrich" on the back. I assume that was John and Sue Hilbrich.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 02:26PM

RichH
I think this is just another symptom of its not really being fun anymore. I can only speak from my own experience, but as much as I like hockey, what really got me excited to go to games as a student was the whole experience, which meant symbiosis between the team and the crowd. The crowd energy that existed in 1996 is simply missing nowadays, so I know if I were still a student I would have a much harder time caring: the game wouldn't be my number one priority. Not sure how you fix this.

Date: February 12, 2013 03:37PM

Kyle Rose
RichH
I think this is just another symptom of its not really being fun anymore. I can only speak from my own experience, but as much as I like hockey, what really got me excited to go to games as a student was the whole experience, which meant symbiosis between the team and the crowd. The crowd energy that existed in 1996 is simply missing nowadays, so I know if I were still a student I would have a much harder time caring: the game wouldn't be my number one priority. Not sure how you fix this.

I'll lay aside my belief that "you make your own fun" for now, but this has been a gradual slide since the early 2000s, and by the very solid and fun 2005-06 seasons, seeing big holes in the student sections by the opening faceoff was the norm. Now it's entire sections. Maybe one can make the argument that some air escaped the balloon after a dominant 2003, thus breaking the upperclassmen-teaching-freshmen chain, or maybe the old success-breeds-entitlement arguement applies, but I really think it's more of a cultural change. Collegiate social activities are now structured differently now, and the connectivity that current students have simply has had a greater impact on how things are done. Waiting around in an arena even 30 minutes before the puck drops isn't as attractive an option anymore compared to getting other priorities taken care of. I can't talk to how the social rituals have changed (Maybe the fact that collegetown bars are a dying species is another symptom?) but since things can now get done on the move, its less of a commitment to work/eat/pre-game/meet-up on the fly. Before this era, there was a lot of "let's meet at the rink at 6:15" planning ahead of time, and you don't have to do that now.

Similarly, look around at a game, and there's not a lot of noise being made during stoppages at all. There's a lot of device-checking happening instead, which is a cultural change in ALL aspects of life, for both young and old. We're conditioned now to check the facepages, twits, and the instaflikrs given any downtime, and a whistle at a hockey game is just a perfect Pavlovian "OK, things have stopped" signal. Maybe it's not a lack of connection between the fans and the team, just that that connection has been replaced with a stronger, more omnipresent, accessible, and personal one between the fans and the digital world that's sitting in their palms.

Yep, it's hard not to sound like a "Kids These Days" grandpa, here, (and I'm guilty of some of the above behavior too, I'm ashamed to say). I'm really not trying to fault anybody here...I'm just trying to explain it.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2013 03:48PM by RichH.

Date: February 12, 2013 03:51PM

css228
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

We've also been trying to do "Great Taste/Less Filling" after each Miller goal since the end of last season, but he hasn't had many home goals since we thought of it. I think we've done it twice.

Date: February 12, 2013 04:37PM

RichH
Kyle Rose
RichH

I'll lay aside my belief that "you make your own fun" for now, but this has been a gradual slide since the early 2000s, and by the very solid and fun 2005-06 seasons, seeing big holes in the student sections by the opening faceoff was the norm. Now it's entire sections. Maybe one can make the argument that some air escaped the balloon after a dominant 2003, thus breaking the upperclassmen-teaching-freshmen chain, or maybe the old success-breeds-entitlement arguement applies, but I really think it's more of a cultural change. Collegiate social activities are now structured differently now, and the connectivity that current students have simply has had a greater impact on how things are done. Waiting around in an arena even 30 minutes before the puck drops isn't as attractive an option anymore compared to getting other priorities taken care of. I can't talk to how the social rituals have changed (Maybe the fact that collegetown bars are a dying species is another symptom?) but since things can now get done on the move, its less of a commitment to work/eat/pre-game/meet-up on the fly. Before this era, there was a lot of "let's meet at the rink at 6:15" planning ahead of time, and you don't have to do that now.

Similarly, look around at a game, and there's not a lot of noise being made during stoppages at all. There's a lot of device-checking happening instead, which is a cultural change in ALL aspects of life, for both young and old. We're conditioned now to check the facepages, twits, and the instaflikrs given any downtime, and a whistle at a hockey game is just a perfect Pavlovian "OK, things have stopped" signal. Maybe it's not a lack of connection between the fans and the team, just that that connection has been replaced with a stronger, more omnipresent, accessible, and personal one between the fans and the digital world that's sitting in their palms.

Yep, it's hard not to sound like a "Kids These Days" grandpa, here, (and I'm guilty of some of the above behavior too, I'm ashamed to say). I'm really not trying to fault anybody here...I'm just trying to explain it.

Based on the SSS of the two games I saw last weekend (my first at Lynah in 5 years), I believe if you give the fans a reason to get into it, they'll get into it. Cornell gave the fans just one goal over 120 minutes and was putting the last touches on a 7th straight loss (with no wins at Lynah in 9 weeks), and yet the students were very loud and excited over the final five minutes Saturday.

Don't get me wrong -- smart phones have turned kids into joyless, uninteresting sheep. BUT it's not that social ill that's a downer for the Cornell crowd. The '87 and '93 crowds were pretty uninspiring, too. Just win, baby.

Re: General Women's Thread
Posted by: Ben (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2013 07:25PM

jtn27 and I have been keeping track of the people around us in B -- in front and to our left (towards A) are mostly facetimers, and the people directly in front of us haven't showed up before 7:25 for any 7 PM starts this season. The best way to fill up the student sections earlier is to base the quality of the viewing experience on punctuality -- make them general admission.

In other WICE news, Sucks beat BU in the Beanpot Consolation, re-arranging #3 through #5 in the Pairwise. It's Sucks, BU, Cornell, pending NE-BC for the Beanpot title. We want Northeastern to win and SLU to get back above Q at the bottom of the TUCs. And beat Sucks on Friday.

Date: February 12, 2013 08:25PM

Ben
jtn27 and I have been keeping track of the people around us in B -- in front and to our left (towards A) are mostly facetimers, and the people directly in front of us haven't showed up before 7:25 for any 7 PM starts this season. The best way to fill up the student sections earlier is to base the quality of the viewing experience on punctuality -- make them general admission.

My favorite was when the girls next to us decided that the middle of a game would be the perfect time to do each other's hair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2013 08:26PM by jtn27.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 10:05PM

RichH
Kyle Rose
RichH

During the 2006-2007 season, a friend of mine got threatened by an usher for being too loud/annoying. The friend wasn't swearing, or saying anything off-color. Just a lot of "you suck, I bet you're sick of hearing me (he had moved from B to D to follow the sieve), etc." An usher told him to tone it down.

Date: February 13, 2013 12:24AM

Dafatone
The friend wasn't swearing, or saying anything off-color. Just a lot of "you suck

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: February 13, 2013 02:43AM

Trotsky
Dafatone
The friend wasn't swearing, or saying anything off-color. Just a lot of "you suck

Allow me to move the goalposts a little. He wasn't saying anything that you don't normally hear at Lynah, or that would get you kicked out. He was more annoying than insulting, and certainly not offensive, yet the usher threatened to toss him. I posted about it here, but most people figured my friend was swearing.

For all I know, the usher misheard him and thought he said something worse than it did, but it wasn't a good sign.

Date: February 13, 2013 05:45AM

Dafatone
Allow me to move the goalposts a little. He wasn't saying anything that you don't normally hear at Lynah, or that would get you kicked out. He was more annoying than insulting, and certainly not offensive, yet the usher threatened to toss him. I posted about it here, but most people figured my friend was swearing.

I actually see it your way, when it's a matter of "suck" and Section B. Local community standards dictate what is smut, and the word is unremarkable for that locale (though mind-numbingly dull).

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-7.myvzw.com)
Date: February 13, 2013 08:45AM

Trotsky
Dafatone

I actually see it your way, when it's a matter of "suck" and Section B. Local community standards dictate what is smut, and the word is unremarkable for that locale (though mind-numbingly dull).

But you're not being fair to RIP. That's their only cheer (with novel variations such as "Clarkson still sucks" ).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2013 12:13PM by marty.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 13, 2013 10:35AM

Trotsky
RichH
Kyle Rose
RichH

Based on the SSS of the two games I saw last weekend (my first at Lynah in 5 years), I believe if you give the fans a reason to get into it, they'll get into it. Cornell gave the fans just one goal over 120 minutes and was putting the last touches on a 7th straight loss (with no wins at Lynah in 9 weeks), and yet the students were very loud and excited over the final five minutes Saturday.

Don't get me wrong -- smart phones have turned kids into joyless, uninteresting sheep. BUT it's not that social ill that's a downer for the Cornell crowd. The '87 and '93 crowds were pretty uninspiring, too. Just win, baby.

I agree, I was impressed with how well attended the games were and that the students did cheer. Do they get there on time, NO, but that has been for >15 years. Remember why coach changed the senior presentation to after, rather than before, the game. They come late, but do come. I don't know where the prior comment that whole student sections are absent comes from. I've not seen that.

Date: February 13, 2013 01:01PM

Jim Hyla
I agree, I was impressed with how well attended the games were and that the students did cheer. Do they get there on time, NO, but that has been for >15 years. Remember why coach changed the senior presentation to after, rather than before, the game. They come late, but do come. I don't know where the prior comment that whole student sections are absent comes from. I've not seen that.
B was less than half-full for the first period of the game against Q.

Date: February 13, 2013 01:02PM

Jim Hyla

C was very sparse last weekend, but that's because it's not students, but us old traveling (or in this case, not traveling) farts.

The kids are alright. They may be the only ones who haven't given up on the team (including some members of the team).

Date: February 13, 2013 01:08PM

Ben
Jim Hyla
B was less than half-full for the first period of the game against Q.

A lot of the rink was less than full at beginning of the Q game. It took me 2 hours to get down from Syracuse, usually 1 hour. Fortunately I left at 5. Not that that should matter for students. More impressive to me was the very good crowd for P. At least most fans haven't given up.

Date: February 13, 2013 01:40PM

Jim Hyla
At least most fans haven't given up.

Yeah, I never understood the "I've given up on the season, so I'm not going to go" way of thinking. I like hockey, I like watching hockey, and as long as it's not a despicable effort or embarassing thuggery (neither sounds true), it will still be entertaining for me to watch and cheer. Sure, it's always a better feeling to win every game you see, but I can't honestly say I don't have fun when I'm at any game.

Date: February 13, 2013 02:05PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

Yeah, I never understood the "I've given up on the season, so I'm not going to go" way of thinking. I like hockey, I like watching hockey, and as long as it's not a despicable effort or embarassing thuggery (neither sounds true), it will still be entertaining for me to watch and cheer. Sure, it's always a better feeling to win every game you see, but I can't honestly say I don't have fun when I'm at any game.

The legacy of missing the playoffs your first three seasons is you never, ever think winning is the point of going. It's the point of the team's play, but not the fan's experience.

This may also be 42 years of being a Mets fan.

Posted by: MattS (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2013 03:01PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

I don't get it either. I go hoping for win, and well played hockey win or lose. I also go to watch the freshman and see who I think will develop into hopefully a stud player or two by their senior year.

#packlynah
Posted by: Weder (---.atlanta.hp.com)
Date: February 13, 2013 03:14PM

Someone at Lynah on Friday will have to check during the anthems to see if Jess Brown follows through with this:

Re: #packlynah
Date: February 15, 2013 07:34AM

Just a reminder for those in TWCNY area, who can't get to the game or who would stay at home to watch the men, the women's game with Harvard is on TWSports channel.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2013 09:58PM

Women's victory tonight moves them into 1st place in the ECAC, with Clarkson losing to Princeton. Cornell is now 16-3 in conference, Harvard is 14-2-1, and Clarkson is 15-4. We've gotta win out and hope that Clarkson beats Harvard in Cambridge on the 23rd.

More ominously, the lady goofers are 30-0 and ranked number one. If they win their remaining games, they'll be the first undefeated, untied D-1 hockey team since 1970. Can't let that happen.

Date: February 15, 2013 10:07PM

Swampy
Women's victory tonight moves them into 1st place in the ECAC, with Clarkson losing to Princeton. Cornell is now 16-3 in conference, Harvard is 14-2-1, and Clarkson is 15-4. We've gotta win out and hope that Clarkson beats Harvard in Cambridge on the 23rd.
Great effort tonight, could definitely have scored more. The second line looked more dangerous, and Campbell seemed to have a bit of the top-end speed from last year. Sucks also hosts SLU (who tied with Q tonight, keeping Q as the last TUC) next weekend. Unlikely that Sucks would lose either of the rescheduled Yale or Brown games, but with six games in twelve days, it could happen.

Swampy
More ominously, the lady goofers are 30-0 and ranked number one. If they win their remaining games, they'll be the first undefeated, untied D-1 hockey team since 1970. Can't let that happen.
They're about to go 31-0-0 with an 8-0 win over Bemidji State. I don't know how anyone can beat them.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 10:12PM by Ben.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2013 10:38PM

The Harvard goalie has a GAA of 1.24 so scoring 3 goals is actually quite good....She made some phenomenal saves tonight.

Laura Bellamy, Harvard's senior goaltender, leads the nation in saves percentage [.958] and GAA [.078]. Does anyone know why she did not play tonight?

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2013 10:40PM

What was the attendance tonight at lynah?

Phil Kessel's sister, Amanda is the best player in the woman's game.

Date: February 15, 2013 10:44PM

dag14
The Harvard goalie has a GAA of 1.24 so scoring 3 goals is actually quite good....She made some phenomenal saves tonight.

Laura Bellamy, Harvard's senior goaltender, leads the nation in saves percentage [.958] and GAA [.078]. Does anyone know why she did not play tonight?
They've been platooning all season. Don't mess with the rotation?

Date: February 15, 2013 10:45PM

Official attendance was 2182. More importantly, there were a lot of raucous students in the crowd, as well as the band. At the end of the game, several players took a run and jumped against the glass at Section D where the wrestling team and friends had been leading the cheers throughout the game.

Date: February 15, 2013 11:12PM

dag14
Official attendance was 2182. More importantly, there were a lot of raucous students in the crowd, as well as the band. At the end of the game, several players took a run and jumped against the glass at Section D where the wrestling team and friends had been leading the cheers throughout the game.
They came over to where we were causing trouble in B as well. We had a lot of pike, walleye, and catfish pictures...hopefully preserved somewhere for posterity.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2013 11:24PM

flyersgolf
What was the attendance tonight at lynah?

Phil Kessel's sister, Amanda is the best player in the woman's game.

Yeah, and she's only a junior. Brother Blake played for UNH and is in the AHL.

Date: February 16, 2013 12:08AM

Ben
dag14
They came over to where we were causing trouble in B as well. We had a lot of pike, walleye, and catfish pictures...hopefully preserved somewhere for posterity.

We also had a big one of these.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 06:33AM

jtn27
Ben
dag14

We also had a big one of these.

I like it.B-]

Date: February 16, 2013 01:53PM

The women's game vs Dartmouth is on Redcast beginning (pregame) at 3:30 this afternoon for others who are trapped inside with this ooky weather.

Current standings and stats.

Date: February 16, 2013 04:50PM

Halfway through Senior night, still scoreless vs the Big Green.

Edit: Halfway through the third, still 0-0.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2013 05:36PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 05:37PM

Women are as accomplished at shooting at the goalie's chest as the men.

Date: February 16, 2013 05:47PM

3:25 to go in regulation, we go on pp. This just moments after we lucked out when Dartmouth made a perfect pass right in front but the Green simply muffed the finish.

Edit: Dartmouth shut us down on the kill.

The Lynah crowd sounds great.

After a Cornell goal in ot is waved off, we settle for a scoreless tie. Very exciting game.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2013 06:04PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 16, 2013 06:04PM

0-0 Would be nice to see the no-goal.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 06:11PM

Only goal was the dude who hit the between period $10,000 slapshot jackpot. Anyone get video of that or have a capture of the game stream? That was a ridiculous shot. Through a puck size hole from the far blue line on one attempt.

Date: February 16, 2013 06:40PM

I saw the board up close. The hole was literally 1 inch larger than the diameter of a puck.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 11:31PM

Here is video of the $10,000 winning goal potted by Rich Trinkl; this goes on the list of crazy things I've seen at Lynah:
video: [www.youtube.com]
Hope the radio station had insurance on the contest.

Date: February 23, 2013 02:49PM

I worked this all out, so I may as well share. These are the possible RS results and playoff seedings...

Current Table

Schools ------- Pts Conf All
Cornell -------- 35 17-3-1 22-5-1
Harvard ------- 34 16-2-2 20-4-3
Clarkson ------ 34 17-4 25-8
St. Lawrence - 28 12-5-4 17-11-5
Quinnipiac ----- 27 12-6-3 18-10-4
Dartmouth ----- 24 10-7-4 15-8-5
Rensselaer ----- 18 8-11-2 10-19-4
Princeton ------- 14 6-13-2 11-15-2
Colgate --------- 13 5-13-3 10-19-3
Brown ---------- 10 5-16 6-19-1
Yale ------------ 9 3-14-3 4-20-3
Union ----------- 4 0-17-4 7-22-4

Us, Harvard, and Clarkson will be the top three. We play at Union, and Harvard hosts Clarkson. I will assume that Harvard will beat Yale on Tuesday for the purposes of these permutations, as it is extremely likely.

If we beat Union, and Harvard beats Clarkson, Harvard will win the RS title and home ice. Clarkson will finish third.

If we beat Union, and Harvard and Clarkson tie, we are guaranteed to finish first (the first tiebreaker, head-to-head, is tied; we would win the second tiebreaker, wins, with 18 to Harvard's 17). Clarkson will finish third in this scenario.

If we beat Union, and Clarkson beats Harvard, we will finish first on 37 points, and Clarkson will finish second, beating out Harvard on the tiebreaker (head-to-head).

If fail to win against Union, then Harvard or Clarkson will take the RS title.

SLU and Q will be 4 & 5. If Q beats Brown and SLU ties with Dartmouth, or Q ties with Brown and SLU loses to Dartmouth, Q finishes 4th on head-to-head.

Dartmouth is locked into 6 and RPI into 7.

Colgate can finish 8th if they win at RPI and Princeton fails to win at Yale (Colgate wins the head-to-head tiebreaker).

In short, we need to beat Union and root for Clarkson.

Date: February 23, 2013 04:29PM

Cornell & Clarkson both up 2-0 after 1 per.

Date: February 23, 2013 05:54PM

Women beat Union 4-0. Clarkson beats Harvard 3-1.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2013 06:00PM by dag14.

Date: February 23, 2013 06:04PM

dag14
Women beat Union 4-0. Clarkson beats Harvard 3-1.
Put another way: four straight RS titles. Yale beat Princeton and Colgate won, so we will face Colgate at Lynah next weekend.

Date: February 23, 2013 11:28PM

And we're second in the PWR.

Date: February 25, 2013 07:20AM

In case no one wants to have to figure it out by looking at the standings, from the ECAC posting, here are the matchups for the weekend.

Following is a summary of the upcoming tournament schedule:

(Game times tentative and subject to change)

QUARTERFINALS (Friday-Sunday, March 1-3 - Best-of-three games)

No. 8 Colgate at No. 1 Cornell
Friday: 7 p.m.
Saturday: 4 p.m.
Sunday: 4 p.m. (if necessary)

No. 7 Rensselaer at No. 2 Clarkson

No. 6 Dartmouth at No. 3 Harvard
Friday: 4 p.m.
Saturday: 2 p.m.
Sunday: 2 p.m. (if necessary)

No. 5 St. Lawrence at No. 4 Quinnipiac

It's nice not being 3 or 4.

Date: February 25, 2013 08:06PM

Alyssa Gagliardi named to U.S. Women's National Team Training Camp Roster

Date: March 01, 2013 07:15AM

Awards for Jenner and others:

Jenner Named Ivy Player of the Year; Eight Named All-Ivy

Jenner Named Top-10 Finalist for Patty Kazmaier Award

She won't get the later, but they already have the former.

Date: March 01, 2013 07:25AM

Weekend Newspaper articles:

Cornell Daily Sun

Ithaca Journal

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 01, 2013 09:24PM

Cornell 5-4 in OT in game one with goals at 19:19 (3) and :39 (OT).

Date: March 02, 2013 11:44AM

Chris '03
Wild game with a lot of penalties. 43 PIM, which is the most I can remember seeing in a women's game. Gagliardi got 5+Game Misc for what I thought should have been a simple two-minute boarding penalty near the end of the first period, for a hit down in the corner by Section A. Six of the nine goals were PPGs, and Slebodnick will be cursing her luck on the first two Colgate goals -- one was a 5x3, and on the other Colgate got a 3-on-1 after a Cornell stick snapped when one of our players was trying to whack the puck down their end from center ice. Saulnier was notably absent, but Jenner was brilliant, scoring three goals and adding two assists for her fourth hat-trick of the season.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 11:44AM by Ben.

Date: March 02, 2013 12:07PM

Ben
Chris '03
Wild game with a lot of penalties. 43 PIM, which is the most I can remember seeing in a women's game. Gagliardi got 5+Game Misc for what I thought should have been a simple two-minute boarding penalty near the end of the first period, for a hit down in the corner by Section A. Six of the nine goals were PPGs, and Slebodnick will be cursing her luck on the first two Colgate goals -- one was a 5x3, and on the other Colgate got a 3-on-1 after a Cornell stick snapped when one of our players was trying to whack the puck down their end from center ice. Saulnier was notably absent, but Jenner was brilliant, scoring three goals and adding two assists for her fourth hat-trick of the season.

The Colgate player went down, and got back up, quite easily. I agree with you, thru my shaded eyes, it was not a particularly egregious penalty. She skated pretty softly into the 'gate player.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2013 01:00PM

Ithaca Journal article says Saulnier is day-to-day and won't play Saturday. Hope it's not too serious.

Date: March 02, 2013 01:02PM

I disagree; from my angle in section N, she hit the player squarely from behind in a clearly illegal check. I would not at all have characterized it as "skating pretty softly." My thought at the time was surprise -- I think it would have been called in a men's game. It was a stupid hit; she made no effort to avoid or minimize the contact and earned the first major penalty I can remember seeing in a Cornell women's hockey game. You don't have to paralyze a player for life to earn a major and GM for hitting-from-behind. The point of the sanction is to prevent harm.

I am a huge fan of Coach Derraugh and Cornell women's hockey so I don't make this statement lightly: Cornell was awful in the first and second periods. Stupid penalties, bad decisions on the clear, poor passing and careless mistakes. In spite of that, they outshot Colgate 2-1 but were losing on the scoreboard. They got their act together in the third period and started to play with focus. It was pretty clear that there was no way Brianne Jenner was going to lose that game, even if she had to play the entire third period herself. Which it looked like she came close to doing.

This is a team that can go to the Frozen Four if everyone is healthy and they stay focused. They clearly have the skilled personnel; they just need to nail the mental game.

Date: March 02, 2013 01:16PM

dag14
I am a huge fan of Coach Derraugh and Cornell women's hockey so I don't make this statement lightly: Cornell was awful in the first and second periods. Stupid penalties, bad decisions on the clear, poor passing and careless mistakes. In spite of that, they outshot Colgate 2-1 but were losing on the scoreboard. They got their act together in the third period and started to play with focus. It was pretty clear that there was no way Brianne Jenner was going to lose that game, even if she had to play the entire third period herself. Which it looked like she came close to doing.
They couldn't get out of the defensive zone for most of the the last ten minutes of the second period. It was probably the worst stretch of play I've seen at home in the last two and a half years. As you said, they got their act together and created three good chances (including the goal) in about thirty seconds of overtime.

The game had a bit of the same feeling as Game 1 from two years ago against RPI, when Cornell played badly and trailed 2-1 until Johnston scored a stunning equalizer with 7 seconds left. They won it early in OT, and then crushed RPI the next day to win the series.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2013 04:03PM

Jenner is a tremendous talent with her combination of size and skill. How do you all think she compares to Johnston?

Date: March 02, 2013 04:07PM

Redcast has game 2 up, without audio so far. 0-0 4 mins in.

Date: March 02, 2013 04:10PM

Trotsky
Thanks, I thought I had something wrong. I've got audio for lax however.

Date: March 02, 2013 04:11PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Thanks, I thought I had something wrong. I've got audio for lax however.
My video just shut down, too.

Date: March 02, 2013 04:18PM

Video back with audio.

Date: March 02, 2013 04:54PM

I see on Livestats the women are losing 2-0 -- WTF?

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2013 06:11PM

What an amazing comeback. 2 goals in the last minute to secure the victory. Will need to play much better next weekend if they want to secure the ECAC championship.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 06:12PM by Cop at Lynah.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2013 06:17PM

Cop at Lynah
What an amazing comeback. 2 goals in the last minute to secure the victory. Will need to play much better next weekend if they want to secure the ECAC championship.

Rough day for Colgate athletics. Between this, the lacrosse game, and their men's hockey team already lost 5-1 to Brown today.

Date: March 02, 2013 10:03PM

Cop at Lynah
Probably beats yesterday for drama. Again, they didn't play at their best, particularly in the first, but they improved as the game went on, and Colgate collapsed in the final minute. We'll play Q or SLU on Friday in the semifinal -- Q won today in the 3rd overtime to force a Game 3 tomorrow afternoon.

On the Jenner/Johnston comparison, it definitely seems like Jenner has developed, over the second half of the season, into the totally dominant force that Johnston was for WICE the last two years. She beat at least one player with her puck handling on nearly every zone entry tonight.

Date: March 03, 2013 08:15AM

To show how little is thought of the women, the ECAC site has all the game stories, but still shows Clarkson and us playing at 4PM today. The men's side is OK.

Date: March 03, 2013 09:21AM

Jim Hyla
To show how little is thought of the women, the ECAC site has all the game stories, but still shows Clarkson and us playing at 4PM today. The men's side is OK.

"Never attribute to animus what can be explained by incompetence."

Date: March 03, 2013 09:50AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

Just funny how it happens to women.whistle

Date: March 03, 2013 09:58AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

Just funny how it happens to women.whistle

OK, they've got the women's correct now.

Date: March 03, 2013 10:00AM

They sleep in on Sundays after staying up late Saturday night to update all the men's info

Posted by: Thomas Larson (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2013 10:53AM

One of the league's top people had a death in the family. One person was doing the job of two this weekend.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2013 11:15AM

Video is up

If you want to know what utter devastation looks like (in very low resolution), just watch the Colgate players frozen around the net after the game-winner. What an awful weekend.

Date: March 03, 2013 12:12PM

Jordan 04
Video is up

If you want to know what utter devastation looks like (in very low resolution), just watch the Colgate players frozen around the net after the game-winner. What an awful weekend.
Here's better video of the last two goals. Click "HD" to actually see the puck.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2013 12:42PM

Ben
Jordan 04
Video is up

Very nice!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2013 12:58PM

Ben
Jordan 04
Video is up

You really have to feel for the Colgate team. They really brought it for the playoffs, and got nothing but heartbreak to show for it.

I've watched those videos several times now, and I still don't know how Rougeau's shot found that top corner for the equalizer. She started her wind-up as soon as the puck squirted backwards off the faceoff, and three bodies were converging in her shooting lane at contact.

I can think the words "amazing" and "incredible" a few hundred times more, and it still doesn't accurately describe what happened this weekend. And it only gets tougher from here on out.

Let's Go Red.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2013 12:59PM by RichH.

Date: March 03, 2013 01:11PM

Ben
Jordan 04
Video is up

Thank you

Date: March 03, 2013 02:14PM

I was behind the glass for those goals and didn't see them go in the net. Thanks for the link so I could finally see how we won the game!

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2013 03:47PM

The third goal was sooooooooooo soft. Credit goes to the team that played until the buzzer.

Date: March 03, 2013 06:02PM

Schedule for next weekend:

Saturday, March 9

Cornell vs. St Lawrence - 1 PM
Harvard vs. Clarkson - 4 PM

Sunday, March 10

Final - 1 PM

Is there any reason these games have to be played in the afternoon? Night games would draw far better attendances.

Date: March 03, 2013 06:28PM

Ben
Schedule for next weekend:

Saturday, March 9

Cornell vs. St Lawrence - 1 PM
Harvard vs. Clarkson - 4 PM

Sunday, March 10

Final - 1 PM

Is there any reason these games have to be played in the afternoon? Night games would draw far better attendances.

Not unless they wanted those of us who would be watching the men, in person or on computer, to also have a chance to watch the women. Personally, since I'll be in Princeton, I like the idea.

Posted by: Thomas Larson (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2013 06:42PM

Sunday game has to be early because of NCAA selections, which are that night at 6 p.m. They can't play that game at 7. Maybe the latest would be 3 p.m. start, but that's pushing it if SLU wins because they're not going to get a bid unless they win. That would only give committee an hour to redraw the bracket.

That said, not sure about Saturday's reasoning.

::EDIT:: Also, just checked on other conferences. Hockey East is a 1 p.m. start Sunday for the title game. WCHA plays its title game on Saturday at 7. CHA, which doesn't get an autobid, is also playing on Saturday.

::EDIT 2:: And now that I think about it, Saturday's games have to be early because having someone play at 7 p.m. Saturday and then 1 p.m. Sunday would be a pretty short rest. So with early Sunday a mandate, early Saturday makes sense.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2013 06:46PM by Thomas Larson.

Date: March 03, 2013 06:44PM

Thomas Larson
Sunday game has to be early because of NCAA selections, which are that night at 6 p.m. They can't play that game at 7. Maybe the latest would be 3 p.m. start, but that's pushing it if SLU wins because they're not going to get a bid unless they win. That would only give committee an hour to redraw the bracket.

Originally, the schedule on the ECAC site had the games as Friday 4/7 and Saturday 4. No explanation for the change.

Date: March 03, 2013 06:59PM

Ah, these women are students? Playing Sat/Sun means they can miss fewer classes? Nah, there must be some other reason for the schedule

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2013 07:13PM

Thomas Larson

::EDIT:: Also, just checked on other conferences. Hockey East is a 1 p.m. start Sunday for the title game. WCHA plays its title game on Saturday at 7. CHA, which doesn't get an autobid, is also playing on Saturday.

::EDIT 2:: And now that I think about it, Saturday's games have to be early because having someone play at 7 p.m. Saturday and then 1 p.m. Sunday would be a pretty short rest. So with early Sunday a mandate, early Saturday makes sense.

Don't forget that DST begins on Sunday, so that means that there is even an hour shorter turn around next weekend.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2013 07:23PM

ursusminor
Thomas Larson

Don't forget that DST begins on Sunday, so that means that there is even an hour shorter turn around next weekend.
Last year's marathon final game was Saturday afternoon before the men's quarter-final game.

Date: March 03, 2013 07:48PM

dag14
Ah, these women are students? Playing Sat/Sun means they can miss fewer classes? Nah, there must be some other reason for the schedule
Then why do they normally play Friday night/Saturday afternoon? The ideal combination for minimizing missed classes would be Saturday night/Sunday afternoon (which I believe is the HE schedule). And if that were the case, it still doesn't explain why MICE and WICE have different schedules -- the women never play Saturday night games, the men only play at night.

Posted by: Weder (---.atlanta.hp.com)
Date: March 04, 2013 12:07PM

Ben
dag14
Then why do they normally play Friday night/Saturday afternoon? The ideal combination for minimizing missed classes would be Saturday night/Sunday afternoon (which I believe is the HE schedule). And if that were the case, it still doesn't explain why MICE and WICE have different schedules -- the women never play Saturday night games, the men only play at night.

The ECAC women used to play Saturday/Sunday before there was a Hockey East women's conference. For Cornell, that led to the occasional late Sunday night arrival home from places such as Maine and Colby.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 06:12PM

Hockey East's women's tournament is here in Hyannis.

Date: March 07, 2013 10:11AM

We grab the ECAC Player-of-the-Month and Goaltender-of-the-Month.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 07, 2013 11:34AM

In case folks don't read the Redcast Sucks thread, the games this weekend are on ESPN3
[static.psbin.com]

Date: March 07, 2013 12:00PM

Chris '03
In case folks don't read the Redcast Sucks thread, the games this weekend are on ESPN3
[static.psbin.com]

Thanks

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 09, 2013 03:16PM

Women win 4-2. Finals at 1 tomorrow.

Date: March 09, 2013 03:24PM

Jim Hyla
Women win 4-2. Finals at 1 tomorrow.

Taylor Woods with the hat trick -- scored game winner on a re-direction of a beautiful Jenner feed with about 1:35 left.

With Cornell leading 2-0 midway through the 2nd, St. Lawrence scored a soft goal, and dominated the rest of the period, tying it late on the 2-on-0 break. 3rd period was fairly even, with neither team having really grade A chances until the game winner.

Should be a good final tomorrow against the Harvard-Clarkson winer

Date: March 09, 2013 03:42PM

scoop85
With Cornell leading 2-0 midway through the 2nd, St. Lawrence scored a soft goal, and dominated the rest of the period, tying it late on the 2-on-0 break.
From Section B it looked like a great wrister to the top corner of the near post.

WICE was in control in the first, they got their forecheck going and kept the puck pretty well. As you said, SLU came back stronger in the second, and right before they tied I was thinking that if we could just get to the intermission with a one-goal lead, we'd be alright. 3rd was pretty even, but they keep coming through in the clutch.

Date: March 09, 2013 03:51PM

Ben
scoop85
With Cornell leading 2-0 midway through the 2nd, St. Lawrence scored a soft goal, and dominated the rest of the period, tying it late on the 2-on-0 break.
From Section B it looked like a great wrister to the top corner of the near post.

WICE was in control in the first, they got their forecheck going and kept the puck pretty well. As you said, SLU came back stronger in the second, and right before they tied I was thinking that if we could just get to the intermission with a one-goal lead, we'd be alright. 3rd was pretty even, but they keep coming through in the clutch.

I thought the first goal was soft given the sharp angle, but I couldn't really tell how it got into the net. Perhaps the SLU player deserves more credit than I thought.

Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login