Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Mouth @ Cornell

Posted by flyersgolf 
Mouth @ Cornell
Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2012 09:34PM

Mwah.

Sticking with new line combinations.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2012 09:36PM by flyersgolf.

Re: Mouth @ Cornell
Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2012 10:21PM

Another disappointment for a team that cannot afford too many more. They outplayed their opponent once again, but once again struggled to score. They also continue to take stupid penalties and don't clear their zone consistently. With that said, they were better than a 1 point team this weekend.

Posted by: TheMatrix (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2012 10:53PM

Mowrey's goal from Ferlin's feed:

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2012 12:03PM

The sad thing is that this 1-1 tie was probably the best full game of hockey they've played since the CC games, and it's definitely the best result since the first Colgate game.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2012 12:10PM

BearLover
Another disappointment for a team that cannot afford too many more. They outplayed their opponent once again, but once again struggled to score. They also continue to take stupid penalties and don't clear their zone consistently. With that said, they were better than a 1 point team this weekend.
Other than the Ferlin frustration penalty (where he got the first hack in for free but actually went back for another), which would you say were "dumb" penalties?

I thought the offensive effort was there all weekend.

They did have problems in the D-zone, again, but they were also one minute short of a shutout.

1 point for the weekend was unfortunate, but they played very well.

Date: November 18, 2012 12:12PM

TheMatrix
Mowrey's goal from Ferlin's feed:

Great filming, thank you!

Date: November 18, 2012 12:42PM

Trotsky
BearLover
Other than the Ferlin frustration penalty (where he got the first hack in for free but actually went back for another), which would you say were "dumb" penalties?

I thought the offensive effort was there all weekend.

They did have problems in the D-zone, again, but they were also one minute short of a shutout.

1 point for the weekend was unfortunate, but they played very well.
Mowrey had one hit that I think was way behind the play that got called, but mostly I meant the Ferlin one. Even when the opponent doesn't score, it's two less minutes Cornell has to score and kills any rhythm (although I'm unsure how much that matters). On a separate note, the skill plays just haven't worked this season.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2012 01:27PM

jtn27
The sad thing is that this 1-1 tie was probably the best full game of hockey they've played since the CC games, and it's definitely the best result since the first Colgate game.

I might go a step further and say that D'mouth was the best game we have played all year. The CC games were wins, but if you knock out the PP goals (we were 5-14, they were 0-8), we lose the evenly matched time 0-2. Anyone who thinks we are going to do that well on PPs, well... The 'gate games should have gone 0-1-1, rather than 1-0-1. The away weekend was a joke. So the comeback this weekend was very encouraging. To me it means we have the chance of being a very good team. Enough to get to A/C and maybe to the finals. Enough to get to the NCAAs, but only to Pittsburgh with a lot of improvement. I've felt all along that our chances next year are much better. I still think it's very hard to go to the end of either the ECACs or NCAAs just with one solid goalie. He can win games, like 'gate, for us, but he can also have a bad night, and we don't seem to have someone to step in for him.

A few more observations from last night. I was very happy to see that we started well. The coaches obviously got into their heads after last weekend. After losing Friday they could have lost that focus again. That they didn't speaks well for the future, as we will hit rough spots as the year goes on. There were too many undisciplined penalties. Both of Ferlin's and the one mentioned by Mowrey. By the way he skated to the box, I think the first Ferlin penalty must have been in retaliation. It seems that both he and Esposito are playing less than full strength. On many times Ferlin was limping as he came to the bench, most noticeably as he went to the box the first time. At one point, I really thought Esposito was gone again. He skated around back of the net, lost an edge, and barely got off the ice. Went down the tunnel with the trainer and I thought he reinjured himself and was done. However he did come back to play. Both of them look like they are just this close to significant injury. I hope they have things that just need time to heal. If they haven't been at full strength, and can get there, it should mean a lot to the offense. Ferlin's goal set-up was what I'd hoped to see all year.

Posted by: Greg M (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: November 18, 2012 02:25PM

I thought that the second Ferlin penalty (the interference) was particularly dumb. It was behind the play, completely unnecessary, and we didn't even get the satisfaction of seeing a Dartmouth player get whacked with a stick.

I didn't feel like it was a particularly well played game. Yes, we had a lot of offensive zone time, but there were way too many NZ turnovers and bad passes, and it felt like we could never find a lane.

Date: November 18, 2012 03:50PM

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that both of Ferlin's penalties were in retaliation, not just one. And at least one of Mowrey's as well.

Date: November 18, 2012 04:05PM

Jim Hyla
I've felt all along that our chances next year are much better.
I feel like this is the year. Espo and Miller are exceptional players and losing them is going to hurt a lot.

I am hoping for a Jack Parker type of season -- head-scratching losses and experiments until mid-January, then an SDJ.

Date: November 18, 2012 04:25PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
I've felt all along that our chances next year are much better.
I feel like this is the year. Espo and Miller are exceptional players and losing them is going to hurt a lot.

I am hoping for a Jack Parker type of season -- head-scratching losses and experiments until mid-January, then an SDJ.
Birch and D'agostino are just as exceptional. (Especially Birch. Does anyone actually watch this guy play defense?) The senior class has four incredible players plus some good supporting ones, easily the best class since '10. If we don't win this year, who knows? Does Ferlin leave? No use speculating, but this is quite clearly our best chance to win in at least three years and in the foreseeable future. It's way too early to know where this team will end up, but right now they are slipping vveeerrrryyyyy quickly down the ECAC standings.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2012 04:25PM by BearLover.

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2012 09:47PM

I think Trotsky is right on in his assessment of the year and talent of the senior class. I think they need to all buy in that every shift from start to end can not be anything less than the best you got. The parity of ECAC's top teams is so close, a couple of bad shifts can be the difference.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: November 19, 2012 12:33PM

When the team combines last weekend's intense 125-minute effort with superior execution, it will go on a long second-half winning streak.

Posted by: profudge (---.hmpt.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 19, 2012 05:47PM

I also saw those penalties as refs catching retaliation and missing the hack by the Dartmouth player that preceded it. I saw alot of stick-work hacks (especially shots to the back of the calf - ) from Dartmouth, more than I expect from a good team. Am I too pro Big Red or did others see this happening?

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2012 07:51PM

profudge
I also saw those penalties as refs catching retaliation and missing the hack by the Dartmouth player that preceded it. I saw alot of stick-work hacks (especially shots to the back of the calf - ) from Dartmouth, more than I expect from a good team. Am I too pro Big Red or did others see this happening?

I thought this too. There was one slash that happened right in front of the Dartmouth bench that we could hear the wack of it about half way up in section M!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2012 09:45AM

profudge

Although this was not apparent from TV, Bob Gaudet does not enjoy his reputation for nothing.

Posted by: carpy85 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 20, 2012 12:24PM

One of the Dartmouth's guys tripped mowery behind Iles which should have been a clear tripping penalty, but it wasn't called. Mowery and the guy who tripped him both got into a fight that I'm sure was over the tripping and both the Dartmouth guy and mowery both got a penalty for roughing and still no one was called for tripping.@

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2012 12:49PM

profudge
Bob Gaudet's players hacking their opponents? Surely you jest.

Tangent: One of my good friends who I watch soccer with is overall one of the most reasonable, level-headed sports fans I know, and also happens to be a Dartmouth alum. Odd to say, but it's taken a little of the edge off my distaste for them.

But, you know, just a little.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login