Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell - Gate

Posted by flyersgolf 
Cornell - Gate
Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 07:34PM

Where is Esposito?

Shots 23 - 4

Re: Cornell - Gate
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 08:49PM

Who is Barry Bostwick?

Date: November 02, 2012 08:55PM

Gotovets also not playing. Off ice issues?

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 08:58PM

flyersgolf
Gotovets also not playing. Off ice issues?
Let's not jump to conclusions here.

Date: November 02, 2012 09:12PM

Iles 44 saves. Excellent team defense, not so much offense.

CU 3-1
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2012 09:13PM by flyersgolf.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 09:14PM

tomorrow should be interesting.. if we play another game like that we may be in for a longer year than expected. still being two weeks into the season against teams who have played twice as many games a win is a win.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2012 09:14PM

No off ice issues just lots of talent on the team.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2012 09:25PM

dag14
No off ice issues just lots of talent on the team.

still a surprise that a top scoring sr. wouldn't have played

Date: November 02, 2012 10:42PM

Iles' 30th career win moves him past Laing Kennedy into 14th place. Next stop, Darren Eliot's 36.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2012 10:42PM

Kirill is a junior not a senior and there are 6 other defensemen on the roster [not including Craig Esposito] all of whom may be viewed as being equially talented by the coaching staff. We have healthy scratches every Friday at forward, and many of those guys play on Saturday of the same weekend. Why can't this also be the case with a defenseman? He could also be sick or injured. The original poster raised the specter of "off ice issues" which is unjusified speculation.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2012 10:43PM

Iles made some absolutely stellar saves in the third period. The game was not as lopsided as the shots on goal would indicate. Cornell had some excellent scoring opportunities that we just didn't quite put in the net. I think we'll see another great game tomorrow night.

Date: November 02, 2012 10:45PM

dag14
Kirill is a junior not a senior and there are 6 other defensemen on the roster [not including Craig Esposito] all of whom may be viewed as being equially talented by the coaching staff. We have healthy scratches every Friday at forward, and many of those guys play on Saturday of the same weekend. Why can't this also be the case with a defenseman? He could also be sick or injured. The original poster raised the specter of "off ice issues" which is unjusified speculation.

I was specifically referring to Esposito. Totally agree about the defensive rotation.

Date: November 02, 2012 10:46PM

BTW, great job by the traveling Faithful to come across in full voice. You sounded good on the Colgate feed (as did the Pep band).

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2012 10:50PM

Trotsky
Iles' 30th career win moves him past Laing Kennedy into 14th place. Next stop, Darren Eliot's 36.

But how about this quote from the CBR summary:

Iles took care of the rest in spectacular fashion, foiling all 24 shots fired his way. It broke his previous career-high for saves in a period (19) and came just four shy of the program record, set by John Detwiler on Feb. 14, 1959 in a game at Dartmouth.

Not even I was around for that one.

Date: November 02, 2012 11:18PM

Jim Hyla

Iles took care of the rest in spectacular fashion, foiling all 24 shots fired his way. It broke his previous career-high for saves in a period (19) and came just four shy of the program record, set by John Detwiler on Feb. 14, 1959 in a game at Dartmouth.

Detwiler had 55 saves on 66 shots in that game.

Posted by: Turkeybone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2012 03:24AM

Iles was really standing on his head in the third period, lots of tough shots and bold moves by Andy to keep the puck out of the net. But even moreso was the defensive effort right at the goal mouth.. yes yes giving Colgate so many opportunities notwithstanding, there were a few goals that were saved by our Mihalek and other defensemen.

I think Colgate's pp looked way different than Colorado's... Colgate cycled the puck really quickly, so we couldn't go after them as much like we did CC, so a lot more shots, a lot less clearly, and more angina for the fans. Our own passing is looking really tight so far, though -- the second period could have easily been us scoring another two or three times.. the passes across their Mihalik had him totally dazed and out of position -- just a matter of tapping it in or getting the right angle, but he was beat hard and looking foolish. Our pk looked not as strong, but the offense looked fantastic.

Date: November 03, 2012 08:49AM

Turkeybone
Iles was really standing on his head in the third period, lots of tough shots and bold moves by Andy to keep the puck out of the net. But even moreso was the defensive effort right at the goal mouth.. yes yes giving Colgate so many opportunities notwithstanding, there were a few goals that were saved by our Mihalek and other defensemen.

I think Colgate's pp looked way different than Colorado's... Colgate cycled the puck really quickly, so we couldn't go after them as much like we did CC, so a lot more shots, a lot less clearly, and more angina for the fans. Our own passing is looking really tight so far, though -- the second period could have easily been us scoring another two or three times.. the passes across their Mihalik had him totally dazed and out of position -- just a matter of tapping it in or getting the right angle, but he was beat hard and looking foolish. Our pk looked not as strong, but the offense looked fantastic.

I'll take your word for it, but the offense was "fantastic" with 14 shots all game?

Posted by: TimV (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2012 10:05AM

Second period offense looked good in terms of the breakout and puck movement. As usual, a lot of shots missed net, so weren't counted. I couldn't see offense much for the first and third period from my seat, right behind Iles and almost with the goal judge.Although Andy made 24 saves in the first period, many were not real tough. Third period much more difficult with fewer shots.

Anybody besides Al and Jim old enough to remember early 70s movies? At one point in the classic Rollerball, Moonpie watching the Tokyo team says to Jonathan E, "They're all a bunch of little fellers." Same with Colgate. I didn't think we mauled them enough.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2012 11:45AM

the colgate announcers implied we were too big at times on D yet they still got a lot of shots off.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: November 03, 2012 01:52PM

Jim Hyla
Had other plans that evening? ;)

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2012 02:40PM

scoop85
Turkeybone

I'll take your word for it, but the offense was "fantastic" with 14 shots all game?
No it wasn't. Quite frankly we were outplayed, and we lukcily had one of the best goalies in the country in net.

Also what was with Espo's absence last night?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2012 02:47PM by css228.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 03, 2012 04:25PM

TimV
Anybody besides Al and Jim old enough to remember early 70s movies? At one point in the classic Rollerball, Moonpie watching the Tokyo team says to Jonathan E, "They're all a bunch of little fellers." Same with Colgate. I didn't think we mauled them enough.

"Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan!"

One of my favorte movies. And I always wanted to see rollerball played live.

Date: November 03, 2012 06:27PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
TimV

The band should learn this:

[www.hemptrek.com]

(Actually it would sound awesome at Sage.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2012 06:28PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: TimV (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2012 11:22PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
TimV

In fact Jeff, they did play a game for the public when filming was complete. Read about it here.rock

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 04, 2012 12:42PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
TimV

There are rollerball leagues. A friend of mine went to see a game in the SF Bay Area sometime in the last year. (To what degree it's anything like the movie I have no idea.)

Date: November 04, 2012 02:32PM

I've seen "rollerball" that's really just roller derby. Having said which, roller derby is awesome.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2012 06:43PM

In Cali, I'm pretty sure that's just hockey played wearing roller skates on tennis courts or othetr pavement. If there are no motorcycles, it's not rollerball.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 04, 2012 07:31PM

TimV
In Cali, I'm pretty sure that's just hockey played wearing roller skates on tennis courts or othetr pavement. If there are no motorcycles, spiked gloves, or magnetic goals it's not rollerball.

FYP popcorn

Date: November 04, 2012 08:33PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
TimV
In Cali, I'm pretty sure that's just hockey played wearing roller skates on tennis courts or othetr pavement. If there are no motorcycles, spiked gloves, or magnetic goals it's not rollerball.

FYP popcorn

Also a banked track. I don't know whether roller derby even uses those anymore -- the "club level" teams just play on a flat surface, which doesn't allow for any speed. :(

Posted by: rdez79 (137.99.122.---)
Date: November 07, 2012 01:47PM

Iles got jobbed on goalie of the week this week, 1-0-1 stopping 67 of 70 in league!

kid fro STL went 2-0-0 stopping 44 of 45 with a shutout against Alabama-huntsville

Date: November 07, 2012 03:26PM

rdez79
Iles got jobbed on goalie of the week this week, 1-0-1 stopping 67 of 70 in league!

kid fro STL went 2-0-0 stopping 44 of 45 with a shutout against Alabama-huntsville
They like to "spread it around," which I supposed befits an acknowledgement that means absolutely nothing.

Posted by: rdez79 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 07, 2012 09:02PM

Trotsky
rdez79

They like to "spread it around," which I supposed befits an acknowledgement that means absolutely nothing.

I understand the "spread it out" but SLU kid won it 2 weeks ago before the Red were even playing. the thing that sticks the most is the "in league part" vs UAH. I could even see spreading it out to a kid that played one game (dartmouth goalie), or even the kid from brown that lost 2 games by one goal while stopping 69 shots in league games against Hsrvard and Dartmouth

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 07, 2012 09:51PM

In case you didn't see it, here's USCHO's report on the Big Red's start of the season.

Gate player has Hodgins Lymphoma and leaves team
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: January 30, 2013 09:27AM

Spiro Goulakos. I loved his game. And his name. Good luck pal. Hope to see you back.

Re: Gate player has Hodgins Lymphoma and leaves team
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 30, 2013 12:35PM

TimV
Spiro Goulakos. I loved his game. And his name. Good luck pal. Hope to see you back.

"Better" article here. :-)Nice to know that Dr. Merrill Miller helped in the diagnosing. She's a Cornell grad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login