Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 2, CC 0 (game 1 Friday)

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell 2, CC 0 (game 1 Friday)
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 09:28PM

Nice job by Cornell. 2 PPGs by Esposito. Nice game by Iles. Cornell and CC both will see special teams as the difference.

Re: Cornell 2, CC 0 (game 1 Friday)
Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2012 09:49PM

A direct comment from CC staff..."This is the worst officating I have ever seen....there is so much whacking and hacking it's unbelievable". My response ws "welcome to ECAC hockey"
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 09:50PM by Cop at Lynah.

Posted by: Robb (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2012 09:56PM

Who's in charge of suspending CC staff members for comments on officiating?

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 10:15PM

the same coach that complained about every penalty call as well?

i didnt really see either team whacking more than the other. thought CU controlled most of the game.. a couple shifts where CC had very good control but never really created much in the way of scoring threats. CU had many more quality chances.

thought they might replay the one chance cornell got early in the 2nd that either hit the cross bar or went under the bar and came back out. it came out very soft for hitting the bar.

cornell got much the better on the hits, several spurts knocking down multiple CC players.

Date: October 26, 2012 10:32PM

Bob Richie has officiated the world junior games IIRC. He lives nearby and he's a pretty level-headed guy. He did nail Cornell on the dislodged net play, which is one where there's a lot of leeway in making a call.

Posted by: Steve Rockey (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2012 10:57PM

I thought the officiating was perfectly ok. It was a physical game and I think Cornell was the more physical team. It was not a sticky game with lots of hooking, holding and interference that I hate to watch. Cornell delivered some really hard open ice hits that they correctly did not call a penalty on. Of course there were a couple of calls I did not see or did not quite agree with but given that what I saw clearly they called correctly I am willing to accept they had a better view than I did on the others.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2012 11:28PM

upprdeck
thought they might replay the one chance cornell got early in the 2nd that either hit the cross bar or went under the bar and came back out. it came out very soft for hitting the bar.

I was also surprised they didn't take a look at that non-goal. If it hit the crossbar or a post it did it very quietly.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 01:07AM

billhoward
Bob Richie has officiated the world junior games IIRC. He lives nearby and he's a pretty level-headed guy. He did nail Cornell on the dislodged net play, which is one where there's a lot of leeway in making a call.
A lot of leeway, but sitting in B my first reaction was, that could be a penalty, it looked pretty intentional.

Date: October 27, 2012 06:29AM

css228
billhoward
A lot of leeway, but sitting in B my first reaction was, that could be a penalty, it looked pretty intentional.
This is one of the things Redcast can't help the fan decide. No high-def, no replay and no multiple slow repeats of the play that let you see pretty well which way the play should have gone. From the announcers, it sounded as if this was one of those "<chuckle> boys will be boys ... that certainly was serendipitous if the net was accidentally dislodged" plays. Sounds as if most any ref would have made the call.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 08:31AM

Cop at Lynah
A direct comment from CC staff..."This is the worst officating I have ever seen....there is so much whacking and hacking it's unbelievable". My response ws "welcome to ECAC hockey"

Staff? I heard a CC parent tells his cohorts that, "Mike Schafer is just an a$$hole"!!
He also suggested that our team was so big that nobody else in the ECAC would have a chance??

I'd like to think he's only 50% wrong.

asshole

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 08:48AM

Johnny 5
Cop at Lynah

Staff? I heard a CC parent tells his cohorts that, "Mike Schafer is just an a$$hole"!!
He also suggested that our team was so big that nobody else in the ECAC would have a chance??

I'd like to think he's only 50% wrong.

asshole

Schafer may be an asshole, but he's our asshole.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 09:15AM

yet it was the CC coach who was screaming and complaining after almost every call.. it took several minutes to started after the too many men on the ice call. geesh they had guys all over the place and they made the pass into the pile that caused the penalty to be called.

Date: October 27, 2012 09:17AM

upprdeck
yet it was the CC coach who was screaming and complaining after almost every call.. it took several minutes to started after the too many men on the ice call. geesh they had guys all over the place and they made the pass into the pile that caused the penalty to be called.

Tonight's game should be really interesting!!

whistle

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2012 09:44AM

Average Height
COR 6' 0.73"
CC 6' 0.27"

Average Weight
COR 191.96 lbs
CC 190.15 lbs

Average Age
COR 20y 10m
CC 21y 1m

Yeah, boo hoo. Mowrey was one of the biggest hitters out there last night and he's not exactly a giant. It's not how big you are, it's how big you play.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 09:48AM

CowbellGuy
It's not how big you are, it's how big you play.

"In bed."

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 01:52PM

I noticed we dressed a third goalie last night. He wore number 30, but did not have a nameplate. Checking the roster currently, he is still not included. Is it safe to assume that this was just someone from the club team that Schafer chose to have available on the bench last night?

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 02:07PM

#30 Chris Hogan

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 02:11PM

Chris Hogan

Class of 2013

Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 175 lbs.

Major: Computer Science
College: College of Engineering

Hometown: Moultonborough, NH
Previous Team: Montgomery Blue Devils (AA)

Profile: Back-to-back Maryland State Champs 2008 and 2009. Interned with Microsoft summer 2011. ECRHA D2 roller hockey for Cornell. NECHL Playoff MVP 2012

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 02:45PM

Computer Science represent!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 02:49PM

andyw2100
I noticed we dressed a third goalie last night. He wore number 30, but did not have a nameplate. Checking the roster currently, he is still not included. Is it safe to assume that this was just someone from the club team that Schafer chose to have available on the bench last night?

He is indeed a call-up from the club team. I had actually heard about his call-up before the Brock game (not sure when it actually occurred though), but there must have been a few technicalities to sort out before he could be available. I assume that that he'll be on the bench the rest of the season.

Date: October 27, 2012 03:36PM

Any reason why attendance was so sparse last night?

wtf

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 05:53PM

Is this the first Engineer on the team in... ever?

I feel like somebody looked this up forever ago to no avail.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 05:57PM

BMac

Andrew McNiven was in the engineering school. Don't ask me why I remember that.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 07:31PM

I seem to remember a bunch of engineers in the Dark Ages when I was at Cornell (as distinguished from the Plestiocene when some others attended). David Burke and __ Vogel are two that I recall. And IIRC, Joe Juneau was aerospace engineering at RPI.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 09:15PM

Kyle Rose
BMac

Andrew McNiven was in the engineering school. Don't ask me why I remember that.

I know why I remember that. As an engineer I always cheered for him the loudest :-).

Date: October 27, 2012 09:44PM

Pretty sure Ryan Hughes was an engineer - he was pretty good at hockey, too. I saw him play one of his 3 NHL games at Montreal. No idea if he was any good at engineering! :)

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 10:32PM

Jason Vogel was not an engineer; I didn't think Ryan Hughes was either but since I was a student during the Plestiocene my memory isn't perfect.

Date: October 27, 2012 10:37PM

Wait - was there a different Huges I'm mixing him up with? David? Adam? Brain is failing me...

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2012 11:06PM

BMac

Webb Nichols was an architect (still is) shortly after the big bang.

Posted by: madAgaskar07 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2012 12:12AM

BMac

Jan Pajerski '05 was an engineer, but you missed seeing him because he left the team after his junior year.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2012 12:29AM

John Hughes '70 was not an engineer, nor was his son, David.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2012 05:40AM

Ryan Hughes was in the agec department. Had alot of classes with him when I was there. I believe Jeff Raynak was an engineer however.

Posted by: marty (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2012 08:07AM

ugarte
I seem to remember a bunch of engineers in the Dark Ages when I was at Cornell (as distinguished from the Plestiocene when some others attended). David Burke and __ Vogel are two that I recall. And IIRC, Joe Juneau was aerospace engineering at RPI.

Legend has it that Juneau in addition to his study of engineering had to deal with learning English.

Is it true, Ralph?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2012 09:44AM

marty
ugarte

Legend has it that Juneau in addition to his study of engineering had to deal with learning English.

Is it true, Ralph?

[news.rpi.edu]

Q: You didn’t speak English when you came to Rensselaer. What was your first day like?

A: It was probably the day in my life that I was the most nervous. It was hard to go into a store and ask for a pack of gum. I was very shy and was nervous about making mistakes. Instead of speaking up in class, I would go over a question in French in my head and work on translating it into English, and I wouldn’t say it until I was comfortable. By the time I was ready to ask a question, it was three or four topics ago.

Q: How did you balance your academic program in aeronautical engineering and hockey at Rensselaer?

A: It was just a matter of being organized. Every day that I left my apartment, I had a list of every single thing that I needed to do that day. I don’t think I ever failed a test in my life before I came here. And the first two tests that I took at RPI, I failed them, and pretty bad too. On one of them I think I got 22 percent, the other one 30 percent, if not less than that. When I got the results I went right away to the coach’s office. I told Mike Addessa the situation, and I showed him all the homework that I did. The next week I had tutors in place for every single class I needed help with. What I gained the most from being around tutors was the fact that I had somebody one-on-one to discuss things with in English.

To the best of my knowledge, there have always been some engineering majors on the team, but they have been a small minority.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 09:47AM by ursusminor.

Posted by: marty (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2012 09:55AM

ursusminor
marty
ugarte

Is it true, Ralph?

[news.rpi.edu]

Q: You didn’t speak English when you came to Rensselaer. What was your first day like?

A: It was probably the day in my life that I was the most nervous. It was hard to go into a store and ask for a pack of gum. I was very shy and was nervous about making mistakes. Instead of speaking up in class, I would go over a question in French in my head and work on translating it into English, and I wouldn’t say it until I was comfortable. By the time I was ready to ask a question, it was three or four topics ago.

Q: How did you balance your academic program in aeronautical engineering and hockey at Rensselaer?

A: It was just a matter of being organized. Every day that I left my apartment, I had a list of every single thing that I needed to do that day. I don’t think I ever failed a test in my life before I came here. And the first two tests that I took at RPI, I failed them, and pretty bad too. On one of them I think I got 22 percent, the other one 30 percent, if not less than that. When I got the results I went right away to the coach’s office. I told Mike Addessa the situation, and I showed him all the homework that I did. The next week I had tutors in place for every single class I needed help with. What I gained the most from being around tutors was the fact that I had somebody one-on-one to discuss things with in English.

To the best of my knowledge, there have always been some engineering majors on the team, but they have been a small minority.

Any idea if there are plans to sing the Slovakian national anthem before home games this year. Ya got the flag!

Date: October 28, 2012 10:02AM

marty
Any idea if there are plans to sing the Slovakian national anthem before home games this year. Ya got the flag!
Good question. The topic came up on USCHO when the flag was first noticed, but no one reported anything. They probably can't find a singer who knows the words.

Date: October 28, 2012 02:16PM

ursusminor
marty
Good question. The topic came up on USCHO when the flag was first noticed, but no one reported anything. They probably can't find a singer who knows the words.

It's a kick ass anthem (and flag). Verní sebe, svorne napred!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 02:18PM by Trotsky.

Date: October 29, 2012 01:17AM

Trotsky
ursusminor
marty

It's a kick ass anthem (and flag). Verní sebe, svorne napred!

"Slovaks are rebounding"? Must be the basketball version. ;)

Date: October 29, 2012 11:09AM

Loose translation.

The shorter form is: "Fuck Hungary."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login