Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

RedCast improvements wishlist

Posted by billhoward 
RedCast improvements wishlist
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2012 01:52PM

Now that Cornell offers RedCast in higher-definition streams, what else would you like to see to improve Redcast? (I'd like to see this separate from the RedCast really sucks complaints thread. Save that for game day fails. We'll get a chance.)

* HD video (done)
* Quality of service (feed doesn't drop)
* Second camera
* Third camera, reverse angle (see into the pressbox-side corners)
* Replays at all games, all sports
* Better quality video cameras if that improves quality
* Training for camera operators or find a college that has a broadcast program (IC).
* Better main camera placement at Lynah. Move it higher. Build a platform if necessary.
* Feed from Lynah goal cameras
* Premium service with reciprocity (we get Dartmouth hockey feed, Dartmouth gets our feed, etcetera). That is, beyond the $75 Best Value package that covers video of sports at home and audio on the road.
* Wire Mike Schafer for sound? Get a feel for the game as it's really played.

Re: RedCast improvements wishlist
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 06, 2012 02:42PM

billhoward
* Wire Mike Schafer for sound?
As much as we all want this, we do not want this.

Posted by: Weder (---.atlanta.hp.com)
Date: September 06, 2012 02:58PM

Better on-screen graphics.

Date: September 07, 2012 11:15AM

Weder
Better on-screen graphics.
Related: Less of the rotating Bear-And-C logo after scores.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2012 10:50PM

Integration between Jason's intermission and the video, both in having his interviews video instead of audio, and queuing up the video of the goals he is replaying.

I do understand, this will cut down on our current Zamboni Channel coverage.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2012 07:02AM

Wondering why Redcast's live events list shows all home football games as "audio only."uhoh

Re: RedCast improvements (how others do it)
Date: September 24, 2012 11:12PM

[clear]

In Lynchburg (VA) over the weekend, I saw a couple college hockey games. Yeah, I know I should have been at homecoming. This is the video setup for Liberty University's rink: two cameras on a platform at the red line about eight feet higher than the tallest fan trying to obstruct the view, two cameras at ice level in the corners, a rink-facing camera in the broadcast booth, a camera dropped from the rafters aimed at the announcers. All HD cameras. Also a control room (right side of picture), two announcers in the booth and a Michelle Tafoya type at rinkside running around doing human interest stuff. This is for both webcasts and local broadcasts.

One more thing: This is how the university treats its Division 1 club hockey team.

The rink was almost full Friday night, about 2,000 people. Cornell: Drop the puck!

[clear]
(Note center ice camera platform. OK, the roof is higher than at Lynah.)

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2012 11:41AM

You harp on incessantly about raising the cameras. Operating under the assumptions that you've been to Lynah Rink and that your eyes work, you should be aware that they can't go any higher unless they install a retractable roof. When they expanded, the press box got moved to the new top of the seats and is completely sandwiched up against the ceiling. Let it go.

Re: RedCast improvements (think outside the press box)
Date: September 25, 2012 05:24PM

CowbellGuy
You harp on incessantly about raising the cameras. Operating under the assumptions that you've been to Lynah Rink and that your eyes work, you should be aware that they can't go any higher unless they install a retractable roof. When they expanded, the press box got moved to the new top of the seats and is completely sandwiched up against the ceiling. Let it go.
[clear]
You’re right, I’ve mentioned this before. You've upbraided me before. At the Clarkson game last December, I sat opposite the press box and saw that the camera height within the press box was a factor of the tripod brought along. (Photo above.) With a taller tripod, it appears you’d have a foot or two of height before you hit the press box ceiling (the white horizontal element running even with the “2010” in the ECAC Champions 2010 banner) and the joists. There's perhaps four to five feet until you encounter other rafter elements if you raised the center part of the press box ceiling that’s between the two joists (the beams running across the ice; one is visible in the upper right of the photo).

Or you could knock out from the upper press box the middle two or three seats and middle of the table, then build a tongue/camera platform extending out into the lower row so the camera is higher and farther forward. The press box was affordably built of basic materials so costs would be nominal. If a couple print / web guys lose seats to TV / video, well that’s the story of publishing the last 20 years. Video is important to the Cornell fans who can’t be at the games. I hope Cornell tries harder to improve the camera sight lines if by only a couple feet.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 08:01PM

remote controlled cameras are pretty cheap. you could mount the cameras way higher if you didnt have a person looking thru the lens but used a laptop. that would add 5-10 ft easily.. the person wouldnt even need be in the press box at that point.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 26, 2012 09:41AM

Damn, Age. I think you got served.

Posted by: BMac (---.smartleaf.com)
Date: September 26, 2012 10:54AM

For those of you who know your cameras: How much would it cost for us to "endow" a high quality HD camera? (And engrave it with the eLynah logo on one side and "Harvard Sucks" on the other?)

(Here's the Panasonic site- which camera would be acceptable?)

I mean, if it's $4000.... could we get $100 from 40 people? Or something? We can take donations all season long until we get there. Maybe put it up on some kickstartery thing. Maybe we put a wikipedia type banner on top of the forum with Age's face staring mercilessly, Jimmy Wales style.

And yes, I know there's probably a bunch of other equipment needed beyond a camera, cables, etc. I bet we could get the university to agree to picking up the "little stuff" if we buy them a camera though!

Posted by: Robb (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2012 01:33PM

But to "endow" it, you'd really be talking about a fund which could replace/repair the camera on a regular basis. Figure it needs replacement every 4 years, you'd need an endowment that grows ~$2k per year (so that you only take away 1/2 of the growth - not sure if that's the correct ratio or not). Figuring a 10% return, you'd really need more like 24k up front to endow the camera - $4k for the initial camera, and $20k to invest so that in 4 years you're at $28k, when you take another $4k out, etc. Of course, the price of electronics should still keep coming down, etc, so maybe it's not quite that bad, but however you slice it, I doubt you're going to be able to endow a camera with just an eLynah campaign.

Posted by: mackek2 (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: September 26, 2012 01:46PM

Posted by: Thomas Larson (132.236.172.---)
Date: September 26, 2012 02:15PM

Did no one else read the CBR press release?

Key sentences: "RedCast has added multi-bitrate streams that work similar to ESPN3 broadcasts. This delivers videos with the resolution and bit rate that best matches the viewer's connection speed, adjusting as your network connectivity improves or decreases during the broadcast. The highest speed internet connections will get an HD feed equivalent to 720p. Archived video will be uploaded at the highest resolution possible.

Cornell has upgraded connectivity at Schoellkopf Field, Lynah Rink, Newman Arena and Friedman Wrestling Center to allow for higher quality feeds."

Might not need to endow anything.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: September 26, 2012 02:36PM

Thomas Larson

Archived video will be uploaded at the highest resolution possible.

When? Next year? All that's archived is audio so far this year...

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2012 02:45PM

Chris '03
Thomas Larson

Archived video will be uploaded at the highest resolution possible.

When? Next year? All that's archived is audio so far this year...
Maybe that's "the highest resolution possible.":-P

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: September 26, 2012 03:33PM

It's irrelevant. Cornell has a contract with a service provider who is going to use their own equipment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login