Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Goalie situation this season

Posted by margolism 
Goalie situation this season
Posted by: margolism (---.nycmny83.static.covad.net)
Date: August 29, 2012 03:35PM

Just curious if Cornell is planning on going ahead with only two goalies on the roster. Has this happened before? Would they consider tapping into a goalie from the club team to have three on the roster?

Just curious.

Re: Goalie situation this season
Posted by: Weder (---.atlanta.hp.com)
Date: August 29, 2012 04:32PM

Matt Underhill and Ian Burt were the only goalies on the roster in 98-99.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2012 05:50PM

Weder
Brian Cropper and Bob Rule--who was a lacrosse goalie--were the only goalies in 1969-70. Team did OK.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 29, 2012 05:55PM

Al DeFlorio
Weder
Brian Cropper and Bob Rule--who was a lacrosse goalie--were the only goalies in 1969-70. Team did OK.
Way to set our sights low. Some of us want a little more than that this season. :-D

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 29, 2012 09:52PM

margolism
Just curious if Cornell is planning on going ahead with only two goalies on the roster. Has this happened before? Would they consider tapping into a goalie from the club team to have three on the roster?

Just curious.
I'm too lazy to pull actual numbers but I'm pretty sure the team has gone with just two goalies on many occasions. Others have posted a couple of examples and I know there are others.

As for tapping into the club roster, it has happened before. If both of the goalies on the roster stay healthy then the team probably goes with two. If one of them gets hurt I would expect a "call-up" at least as an insurance policy. The last thing you want to see is a defenseman needing to strap on the pads as an emergency goalie.

Checking the memory banks. In '97-98 Pelletier left the team mid summer leaving us with only Jason Elliott on the roster. They got Ian Burt to commit or maybe move up his matriculation but I think Burt only arrived in the spring semester. Nate Hicks was the backup in the fall (and then again when Elliott was out with an injury). I'm pretty sure Hicks was a club goalie. He never saw any ice time.

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: August 29, 2012 11:52PM

The 3rd goalie in 92 and 93 (Geoff Raynak) lived on my floor. He had a varsity number (#30), but also played on the club team and absolutely knew that he would never see NCAA ice. He did dress for games, but even he said that the other two would both have to lose a limb before he would play.

Posted by: cayuga (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2012 07:05AM

I heard yesterday that last year's backup goalies are gone, one to surgery, the other has left Cornell. Any truth to this "rumor"?

If so, has Cornell gone into a season with only one goalie?

Posted by: margolism (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2012 07:57AM

Haven't heard that. I know that the primary backup goalie left Cornell to play pro. Are you saying that Kanji is out with an injury?

If so, then there is no backup right now.

Regardless, given that Kanji is a senior, looks like Cornell will want to recruit one more goalie next year (in addition to the one already listed as a recruit.)

Date: August 30, 2012 05:17PM

cayuga
I heard yesterday that last year's backup goalies are gone, one to surgery, the other has left Cornell. Any truth to this "rumor"?

If that is true and Kanji is injured, Cornell cannot go forward with only one goaltender because of NCAA Rule 2, Section 3(a) which states that:

A substitute goalkeeper must be on the bench at the start of the game and shall at all times be fully dressed and equipped and ready to play. Upon entering the game, the substitute goalkeeper shall take his position without delay. A team shall not start a game with less than two goalkeepers.
PENALTY—Forfeiture (score will be recorded as 1-0)

Cornell would need to get another goalie just to start contesting games if Iles is the only goaltender able to be dressed for games as of now.

Posted by: blueliner (184.70.85.---)
Date: August 30, 2012 06:14PM

So curious, why would we not bring our 20 year old recruit Gillam up early? We have known about this change since early June..
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2012 06:16PM by blueliner.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2012 06:25PM

Aaron M. Griffin
cayuga

If that is true and Kanji is injured, Cornell cannot go forward with only one goaltender because of NCAA Rule 2, Section 3(a) which states that:

A substitute goalkeeper must be on the bench at the start of the game and shall at all times be fully dressed and equipped and ready to play. Upon entering the game, the substitute goalkeeper shall take his position without delay. A team shall not start a game with less than two goalkeepers.

Cornell would need to get another goalie just to start contesting games if Iles is the only goaltender able to be dressed for games as of now.

That seems like such an obscure rule because every team would carry 2-3 goalies even if it wasn't on the books. Did you actually read the NCAA rulebook or did you just hear that somewhere else and look up the actual wording now?

Date: August 30, 2012 06:28PM

jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin
cayuga

That seems like such an obscure rule because every team would carry 2-3 goalies even if it wasn't on the books. Did you actually read the NCAA rulebook or did you just hear that somewhere else and look up the actual wording now?
I happened to be skimming it when I was searching to find out if Penn State men's ice hockey would be eligible for the NCAA Tournament its first year on the unlikely chance that it could get an at-large bid. So, I read most of the provisions regarding roster requirements too and I happened to remember that clause.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: margolism (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2012 08:16PM

Could Cornell conceivably dress a not-likely-to-play F or D as a goalie, or does the dressed player have to be listed on the team roster as a goalie?

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2012 11:51PM

margolism
Could Cornell conceivably dress a not-likely-to-play F or D as a goalie, or does the dressed player have to be listed on the team roster as a goalie?
At the start of the game you have to declare your players and goalkeepers.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: August 31, 2012 09:56AM

David Harding
margolism
I'll bet a lot of these guys have at least played G in pick-up games, the way great athletes in high school have all tried their hand at pitching.

Not what you'd want to wheel out their regularly, but enough to be barely minimally compliant.

Date: August 31, 2012 02:35PM

Trotsky
David Harding
margolism
I'll bet a lot of these guys have at least played G in pick-up games, the way great athletes in high school have all tried their hand at pitching.

Not what you'd want to wheel out their regularly, but enough to be barely minimally compliant.

I highly doubt it will come to that. If we're really a goalie short, I'm sure Schaefer will find one somewhere, whether it be calling up a recruit early or using a club goalie.

Date: August 31, 2012 03:00PM

jtn27
Trotsky
David Harding
margolism

I highly doubt it will come to that. If we're really a goalie short, I'm sure Schaefer will find one somewhere, whether it be calling up a recruit early or using a club goalie.
Wow! Goalie difficulties AND a new coach. bolt

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: August 31, 2012 04:09PM

Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Trotsky
David Harding
margolism

Wow! Goalie difficulties AND a new coach. bolt

That's what I get for not referring to the "speling" guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login