Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC back to Lake Placid 2014

Posted by BMac 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ECAC back to Lake Placid 2014
Posted by: BMac (---.smartleaf.com)
Date: August 14, 2012 04:45PM

I'm surprised there hasn't been discussion yet... Adam Wodon posted it a few hours ago!

I've never been to Lake Placid. Looking forward to attempting to drive there- you guys made it seem pretty difficult!

Re: ECAC back to Lake Placid 2014
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 14, 2012 04:56PM

BMac
I'm surprised there hasn't been discussion yet... Adam Wodon posted it a few hours ago!
Someone needs to start reading the "Generic Offseason Thread"...

Posted by: BMac (---.smartleaf.com)
Date: August 14, 2012 05:06PM

There's like 500 THOUSAND MESSAGES there. About ties, breaking ties, Harvard ties, Joe Louis, Brown commits, Northeastern's coach, the summer varsity banquet, .....

Can't you all snipe at the ECAC on MY thread instead?!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2012 09:17PM

BMac
There's like 500 THOUSAND MESSAGES there. About ties, breaking ties, Harvard ties, Joe Louis, Brown commits, Northeastern's coach, the summer varsity banquet, .....

Can't you all snipe at the ECAC on MY thread instead?!

I agree. News this big deserves its own thread. And now that it's official...

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 15, 2012 12:25PM

From the generic thread:

Al DeFlorio
adamw
You're a sweet guy Al.

As for what's there to do? It's all in the eye of the beholder. Depends on what you want to do. Suggesting there's nothing to do in LP however, is completely ridiculous. There's more to do there than Providence and Albany, as far as I'm concerned. And unless you're gambling, more than A.C. too.
Like what? Besides the bobsled and ski jump? Golf? Horseback riding? In March? A spa? How many hockey fans go to a spa? It's a one-street town with nothing to offer but overpriced hotels and restaurants, and a hockey rink that's the wrong size and not nearly as comfortable as the ones in Albany and Providence. Then, of course, there's the weather.

1) Who cares what there is to do other than watch the games? You'll be there to see Cornell win the ECAC Championship, not see the sights. Price, distance, hotel reservations, and scheduling conflicts are all legitimate reasons not to go but "I'll be bored" is not.

2) You probably won't be bored. I spent a few days in Lake Placid two summers ago and while the main thing I did (swimming in Mirror Lake) isn't really an option in March, the town struck me as a nice place to spend a weekend regardless of the time of year. If you can't fill up two days, you're not trying hard enough. Visit the Olympic museum. Check out the speed skating track where Eric Heiden swept all the events. Peruse the numerous shops. Go for a run. Swim in your hotel's indoor heated pool. Brave the cold water and take a quick dip in the lake. Enjoy the nice restaurants. Go skiing, snowboarding, and/or tubing at Whiteface Mountain. Drive or hike through the Adirondacks. Take a boat tour or go on a fishing expedition. Worst comes to worst, you can always go on ELF and complain about how much Lake Placid sucks. That seems to be what some of you do in your free time anyway.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2012 01:26PM

jtn27
1) Who cares what there is to do other than watch the games? You'll be there to see Cornell win the ECAC Championship, not see the sights. Price, distance, hotel reservations, and scheduling conflicts are all legitimate reasons not to go but "I'll be bored" is not.

Congratulations on deciding for everyone here what should and should not be important to us. If you'd ever had to kill a Sunday in Troy waiting for the third game of a three-game series, you might feel differently.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: August 15, 2012 01:44PM

Beeeej
jtn27

Congratulations on deciding for everyone here what should and should not be important to us. If you'd ever had to kill a Sunday in Troy waiting for the third game of a three-game series, you might feel differently.

I think that a regular season game against RPI is a little different than the ECAC championship game.

Posted by: adamw (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 15, 2012 02:04PM

Beeeej

I think as a response to Al deciding for everyone that there was nothing to do, it was appropriate.

Date: August 15, 2012 02:11PM

jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27

I think that a regular season game against RPI is a little different than the ECAC championship game.

Also, I don't believe for a second that anyone who posts here regularly (and thus probably considers themselves a die-hard Cornell hockey fan) would skip going to Lake Placid to see the team play simply because of a perceived lack of things to do.

Date: August 15, 2012 02:12PM

jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27

He's talking about a quarterfinal... er, quintafinal playoff series. And playing cards on the stage in the Field House while watching little kids play hockey was kind of fun. Sort of.

Date: August 15, 2012 02:17PM

jtn27
jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27

Also, I don't believe for a second that anyone who posts here regularly (and thus probably considers themselves a die-hard Cornell hockey fan) would skip going to Lake Placid to see the team play simply because of a perceived lack of things to do.
That depends. I suspect that statement might be right for the younger part of the eLF crowd or the rest when they were younger and (more importantly) didn't have families. If you're bringing spouses and families who aren't quite so die hard the other things to do probably become a littlemore important.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: August 15, 2012 03:14PM

The student part of the crowd is just going to be drinking and screwing anyway. At least I would hope so.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2012 03:28PM

KeithK
If you're bringing spouses and families who aren't quite so die hard the other things to do probably become a littlemore important.

Don't blame us for your poor life choices. ;)

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: August 15, 2012 04:21PM

KeithK
jtn27
I don't believe for a second that anyone who posts here regularly (and thus probably considers themselves a die-hard Cornell hockey fan) would skip going to Lake Placid to see the team play simply because of a perceived lack of things to do.
If you're bringing spouses...who aren't quite so die hard the other things to do probably become a little more important.

I don't understand. banana

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 15, 2012 05:21PM

Trotsky
The student part of the crowd is just going to be drinking and screwing anyway. At least I would hope so.

This! banana
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2012 05:21PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: August 15, 2012 05:32PM

Trotsky

If they didn't go to drink and screw in AC, I can't imagine they're champing at the bit to do so in Lake Placid.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-250-131.myvzw.com)
Date: August 15, 2012 06:45PM

jtn27
jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27

Then you need to open up those young & untrained eyes!! As a Cornell Hockey fan of 45 years, I resent someone who is still wet behind the ears being arrogant enough to imply that I am not a die-hard Cornell Hockey fan because of perceived lack of things to do. As you may guess, I am considerably older than you and I don't care for the same recreational opportunities as your generation. I'm okay with that. Remember, with a little luck, you'll be where I am some day!! But, in the meantime, try to show a bit more humility!! It's a very redeeming quality!!

Back to LP: No, I don't give a damn about going to LP and have no plans to go there. Nor will I criticize you for going and having a good time. Enjoy!! I will find other things to enjoy in March until the ECAC comes to their senses...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2012 06:48PM

I think there is one thing we can all agree on, and that's that the season can't get here soon enough.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 15, 2012 10:07PM

Trotsky
I think there is one thing we can all agree on, and that's that the season can't get here soon enough.
well, that and 4 more years!*

* I'm sorry.

Date: August 16, 2012 08:12AM

ugarte
Trotsky
well, that and 4 more years!*

* I'm sorry.

I, for one, hope Schafer stays beyond 2016.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: August 16, 2012 09:01AM

Sigh. I guess we'll be driving in from Hague rather than paying the local hotel ransom.

Still, even with all that driving, it still beats AC.

Posted by: sen '08 (---.ad.cornell.edu)
Date: August 16, 2012 11:40AM

I for one really enjoyed the small-town nature of Lake Placid during the ECACs. It meant that you couldn't help but run into everyone! It had a great community feel. Plus, you can't beat the history of the rink.

For those who are worried about hotel prices - try Saranac Lake, and if you're willing to drive a little, Tupper Lake. The prices there are much more reasonable. I lived up there for a couple years, and I wasn't bored out of my mind! If you're looking for something to do between games, check out The Wild Center [wildcenter.org] You can easily kill a whole day there, and it's good for spouses and kids...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2012 08:32PM

sen '08
I for one really enjoyed the small-town nature of Lake Placid during the ECACs. It meant that you couldn't help but run into everyone! It had a great community feel.
I really liked this, too. The Clarkson and SLU fans would come as enormous extended families and they were a hoot. It was also fantastic ECAC Watching with former greats all over town.

Date: August 18, 2012 08:53AM

redice
jtn27
jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27

Then you need to open up those young & untrained eyes!! As a Cornell Hockey fan of 45 years, I resent someone who is still wet behind the ears being arrogant enough to imply that I am not a die-hard Cornell Hockey fan because of perceived lack of things to do. As you may guess, I am considerably older than you and I don't care for the same recreational opportunities as your generation. I'm okay with that. Remember, with a little luck, you'll be where I am some day!! But, in the meantime, try to show a bit more humility!! It's a very redeeming quality!!

Back to LP: No, I don't give a damn about going to LP and have no plans to go there. Nor will I criticize you for going and having a good time. Enjoy!! I will find other things to enjoy in March until the ECAC comes to their senses...

My intention was never to imply that you or anyone else here is not a die-hard Cornell Hockey fan. Rather, it was to say that despite complaining now, I suspect that if in a year and a half Cornell is playing in Lake Placid many of you will find yourselves in attendance, and for those that aren't it will be for reasons other than a lack of things to do.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 09:27AM

jtn27
redice
jtn27
jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27

My intention was never to imply that you or anyone else here is not a die-hard Cornell Hockey fan. Rather, it was to say that despite complaining now, I suspect that if in a year and a half Cornell is playing in Lake Placid many of you will find yourselves in attendance, and for those that aren't it will be for reasons other than a lack of things to do.
Let me try to clarify this "things to do" issue. If someone is going to the ECACs to see the tournament, and only the tournament, then it should be held in a place that is easy to get to for fans and has a fan-friendly hotel reservation policy. And that's not Lake Placid. If the ECAC chooses to hold it in a place that is difficult to get to (we've heard already about the joy of getting to LP by train--train to Troy, cab to Albany, bus to LP--and don't even think about flights for someone like Keith) there ought to be some additional attractiveness to justify the more difficult travel experience. Else why not hold the tournament in a convenient location? Both Albany and Providence, the two other bidders, are accessible by interstates, bus and Amtrak service, and have real airports with real airlines servicing them.

I know this is a crazy example, but if the tournament were to be held in Washington, DC, it would be equally inconvenient for me to get there (as LP), but I could stay extra nights and visit the Smithsonian, the monuments, the National Gallery, the Archives, etc. It would make it worth the additional effort in getting there. Now, if LP were located in Saratoga Springs or Concord, NH, or anyplace easily accessible, the fact that there's nothing of interest for me other than the tournament would be immaterial. I just don't understand choosing a remote, difficult-to-reach site with frequently dreadful weather for travel and a historically restrictive hotel reservation policy--not to mention a goofy-sized ice surface--for a tournament when there are much more accessible and attractive alternatives interested in hosting it.

Posted by: adamw (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 03:49PM

If you don't like Lake Placid, you don't have a soul. Clearly. Eh?

AC is 80 minutes drive for me. LP is 5 1/2 hrs, at best. Yet I'm more than happy to be making the trip. For the umpteenth time....to each their own.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 03:51PM by adamw.

Date: August 18, 2012 04:17PM

adamw

AC is 80 minutes drive for me. LP is 5 1/2 hrs, at best. Yet I'm more than happy to be making the trip. For the umpteenth time....to each their own.
That's right, Adam. It's not that I don't like Lake Placid. I don't like spending nine hours driving there in iffy weather when it would be possible to hold the tournament in a much more accessible place. Not everyone, I'm sorry you haven't learned by now, feels the same as you about everything.

Your "soul" wisecrack, by the way, cheapens you. Clearly. Eh?

Posted by: adamw (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 04:24PM

Al DeFlorio
adamw

That's right, Adam. It's not that I don't like Lake Placid. I don't like spending nine hours driving there in iffy weather when it would be possible to hold the tournament in a much more accessible place. Not everyone, I'm sorry you haven't learned by now, feels the same as you about everything.

Was clearly a joke. A guy who makes a living nastily ripping people, tells me I'm cheapened? Ok.

And the fact that you're telling me that not everyone feels the same is hilarious, when I'm the one who has said over and over, ad nauseum, that... to each their own. I'll let others decide who is the one being more belligerent about trying to tell everyone what to think.

Posted by: redice (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2012 09:30PM

jtn27
redice
jtn27
jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27

I never expected that it was your intention to imply such a thing.... But, words have meaning & consequences. That's how the words came across. And, I find it offensive.

And your expectation that, if in a year and a half Cornell is playing in Lake Placid I will find myself in attendance, is not likely to hold true..... It didn't happened in the 1990's and it's not going to happen now.

I don't know what is so hard for you & some others to understand about the concept that I (& others) find nothing interesting about LP except the ECAC Hockey tournament. Frankly, that's not enough to attract me to LP. If I'm going to travel in March for a hockey tournament in March, I'd rather go to Boston and watch the HE tournament. Granted, I'm not seeing Cornell play... But, I'm probably seeing a better brand of hockey and definitely have better off-hockey tourist-type choices to make. And, for the years that Cornell doesn't advance to LP, the HE tourney is a slamdunk!! I'm okay with this choice; you're okay with LP... So, what's the problem?

Posted by: bnr24 (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 11:31PM

redice
jtn27
redice
jtn27
jtn27
Beeeej
jtn27

I never expected that it was your intention to imply such a thing.... But, words have meaning & consequences. That's how the words came across. And, I find it offensive.

And your expectation that, if in a year and a half Cornell is playing in Lake Placid I will find myself in attendance, is not likely to hold true..... It didn't happened in the 1990's and it's not going to happen now.

I don't know what is so hard for you & some others to understand about the concept that I (& others) find nothing interesting about LP except the ECAC Hockey tournament. Frankly, that's not enough to attract me to LP. If I'm going to travel in March for a hockey tournament in March, I'd rather go to Boston and watch the HE tournament. Granted, I'm not seeing Cornell play... But, I'm probably seeing a better brand of hockey and definitely have better off-hockey tourist-type choices to make. And, for the years that Cornell doesn't advance to LP, the HE tourney is a slamdunk!! I'm okay with this choice; you're okay with LP... So, what's the problem?
Have fun in Boston! I think the point was, some of us think the choice is a good one. If you won't be there, that is definitely your decision. But for those of us who are going to watch Cornell hockey, the attractions are a bonus, not a prerequisite.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 19, 2012 12:17AM

I wish someone would set all the straw men in this place on fire.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.c3-0.nmex-ubr1.lnh-nmex.md.cable.rcn.com)
Date: August 19, 2012 10:21PM

Al is on to something.
It should definitely be in Washington, DC.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2012 11:05PM

Lowell '99
Al is on to something.

But then we'd have to forego the ice fishing in Mirror Lake.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: August 20, 2012 05:57AM

Lowell '99
Al is on to something.
Nah. It should be at the Shark Tank in San Jose. That would be the easiest for me. And Cornell would still have the most fans in the arena (but that's a given).

Date: August 20, 2012 09:20AM

KeithK
Nah. It should be at the Shark Tank in San Jose. That would be the easiest for me. And Cornell would still have the most fans in the arena (but that's a given).

Meh. What is there to do in San Jose?

Date: August 20, 2012 10:44AM

adamw
KeithK

If we're going to put it out there, I might as well not go, stop in Detroit instead, and go watch CCHA hockey at The Joe. Higher quality of hockey and all.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: August 20, 2012 11:01AM

Aaron M. Griffin
If we're going to put it out there, I might as well not go, stop in Detroit instead, and go watch CCHA hockey at The Joe. Higher quality of hockey and all.

Except the CCHA won't exist by then ... bolt

Date: August 20, 2012 11:07AM

adamw
Aaron M. Griffin

Except the CCHA won't exist by then ... bolt

I realize. However, considering I am attending a B1G university, if I said St. Paul and the Xcel Energy Center, some people might confuse my satire for sincerity. And the idea of going to the Target Center to watch the NCHC is too absurd even to joke about.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2012 12:28PM

adamw
Al DeFlorio
adamw

Was clearly a joke. A guy who makes a living nastily ripping people, tells me I'm cheapened? Ok.
You can make a living nastily ripping people? Why hasn't somebody told me this sooner? That sounds way more fun than my current job.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2012 01:02PM

Lowell '99
Al is on to something.

Ill put another vote in for that. banana

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: August 20, 2012 03:59PM

Well if we're voting for silly locations, I think it should be here in Allentown. That is if the big hole in the ground downtown actually gets turned into an arena.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 07:44AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: August 20, 2012 04:28PM

KeithK
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the Bay Area and you pick San Jose?!

That's like visiting Paris and eating at Wendy's.

Date: August 20, 2012 04:39PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Well if we're voting for silly locations, I think it should be here in Allentown. That is if the big hole in the ground downtown actually gets turned into an area.

Well, first they'd have to multiply the hole's radius squared by pi.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: August 20, 2012 04:42PM

Josh '99
adamw
Al DeFlorio
adamw

You can make a living nastily ripping people? [...]
Not yet.

Date: August 20, 2012 04:45PM

Josh '99
You can make a living nastily ripping people?
It's a Cornell Tradition.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: August 20, 2012 04:49PM

Trotsky
KeithK
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the Bay Area and you pick San Jose?!

That's like visiting Paris and eating at Wendy's.

OK, then in SF at the Cow Palace.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: August 20, 2012 07:57PM

adamw
KeithK

Pretty much nothing.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.sub-166-248-0.myvzw.com)
Date: August 20, 2012 11:14PM

KeithK
adamw
KeithK

Pretty much nothing.

So is that more or less than in Lake Placid?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: August 21, 2012 07:45AM

Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82
Well if we're voting for silly locations, I think it should be here in Allentown. That is if the big hole in the ground downtown actually gets turned into an area.

Well, first they'd have to multiply the hole's radius squared by pi.

Oops. doh

Posted by: adamw (---.sub-70-192-129.myvzw.com)
Date: August 21, 2012 09:34AM

KeithK
Pretty much nothing.

That should give everyone a good chance to complain again when the NCAA hockey committee awards San Jose a Frozen Four bid. :)

Date: August 21, 2012 09:37AM

MSG was reportedly considered -- but only for the Final, not the Semis: [nhrcollegehockey.blogspot.com].

Posted by: adamw (---.sub-70-192-132.myvzw.com)
Date: August 21, 2012 11:20AM

ursusminor
MSG was reportedly considered -- but only for the Final, not the Semis: [nhrcollegehockeyb.blogspot.com].

My understanding is, even the final alone would've been cost prohibitive. So when it came time to vote, MSG wasn't even included. Instead it was between the other 4 mentioned.

Date: August 21, 2012 01:04PM

adamw
ursusminor
MSG was reportedly considered -- but only for the Final, not the Semis: [nhrcollegehockeyb.blogspot.com].

My understanding is, even the final alone would've been cost prohibitive. So when it came time to vote, MSG wasn't even included. Instead it was between the other 4 mentioned.

But yet Cornell vs. Michigan or BU works?

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: August 21, 2012 01:18PM

ursusminor
adamw
ursusminor

An inherent issue is that with a post season tournament, you're uncertain until the week before if your team is going to the semifinals, so you'll never get the casual crowd. With the Thanksgiving games, these have become "events" that even casual fans can plan for months in advance.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: August 21, 2012 01:20PM

ursusminor
adamw
ursusminor

Speculation but I'll give you two reasons:

1) The Universities have more free cash flow than the league.
2) Cornell, BU and Michigan know that they will sell out. The ECAC doesn't know that if Brown is facing St. Lawrence they will fill the building. Higher drawing teams didn't fill the Pepsi Center.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: August 21, 2012 01:22PM

ursusminor
adamw
ursusminor

And if Cornell's not there, how are they going to sell it? Imagine we lost in the semis to SLU, what kind of crowd for Union-SLU?

Date: August 21, 2012 03:45PM

Jim Hyla
ursusminor
adamw
ursusminor

And if Cornell's not there, how are they going to sell it? Imagine we lost in the semis to SLU, what kind of crowd for Union-SLU?

The Messa Faithful would sell out The Garden. They are the best fans in college hockey. We, well, we are just "disgusting" as I was informed in AC.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: August 21, 2012 05:09PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Well if we're voting for silly locations, I think it should be here in Allentown. That is if the big hole in the ground downtown actually gets turned into an arena.

People can kill time between the games by filling out forms and standing in line.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: August 21, 2012 07:08PM

ursusminor
adamw
ursusminor

The solution is obvious. Guarantee Cornell a spot inthe finals every year.

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2012 11:18PM

OK, so I'm not the only one who googled "Al DeFlorio" to find out what it is he does?

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.northlandsecurities.com)
Date: August 22, 2012 01:26AM

He obviously is a professional wrestler. Proficient in barfights. My money is on Al at LP in 2013. Restrictive hotel policies BE DAMNED, I'M COMING REGARDLESS!!!!

I am partial to beer and wings, still have some upstate NYer in me. I will make it work. That is if I can make it. LP is awfully far away.

[Repeat, repeat, repeat]

Any news on the team? Is Espo still wearing that protective boot?

Bitter thread drift, I apologize.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.sub-166-248-3.myvzw.com)
Date: August 22, 2012 03:09PM

Aaron M. Griffin

The Messa Faithful would sell out The Garden. They are the best fans in college hockey. We, well, we are just "disgusting" as I was informed in AC.

A Union fan called you (all of us?) "disgusting"? That's pretty funny.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 09:39PM

jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

A Union fan called you (all of us?) "disgusting"? That's pretty funny.

It was the collective all of us. At that time he was behind me in the seats and I had taken off my jersey so he did not know that we were Cornell fans...until we joined in the taunting of both Sucks and Union. My only thought was, it is a good thing that Union has no fans loyal enough to make the trek out to Yost. Imagine what they would think of those fans.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 24, 2012 12:36PM

A question:

The Olympic Size ice in Lake Placid is wider and slightly shorter than the traditional rinks the ECAC plays on. Does that favor or hurt us?

Date: August 24, 2012 12:44PM

Towerroad
A question:

The Olympic Size ice in Lake Placid is wider and slightly shorter than the traditional rinks the ECAC plays on. Does that favor or hurt us?

The ice in Herb Brooks Arena is 200x100 last I checked; Lynah is 200x85. That's wider but not shorter.

- Steve Worona

Date: August 24, 2012 02:35PM

Beeeej
Towerroad
A question:

The ice in Herb Brooks Arena is 200x100 last I checked; Lynah is 200x85. That's wider but not shorter.
Cornell played extremely well on the big ice in Colorado Springs last January (at least until they were totally gassed). So I don't think the big ice would hurt us. The program has changed since the last time we played in LP.

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: August 24, 2012 03:18PM

KeithK
Beeeej
Towerroad
A question:

Cornell played extremely well on the big ice in Colorado Springs last January (at least until they were totally gassed). So I don't think the big ice would hurt us. The program has changed since the last time we played in LP.
for the record, our record in the ECACs at Lake Placid:

1996: 2-0 (whoohoo)
1997: 2-0 (whoohoo)
1998: 0-1 (lost play-in game)
2000; 1-2 (won play in, lost consy)
2001: 1-1 (2nd place)
2002: 1-1 (2nd place. lost in 2OT)

Overall: 7-5, with 4 trips to the final and 2 championships. Not too shabby, overall, and hard to complain TOO much about the last time we played there. :)

Date: August 24, 2012 03:31PM

Robb
KeithK
Beeeej
Towerroad
A question:

for the record, our record in the ECACs at Lake Placid:

1996: 2-0 (whoohoo)
1997: 2-0 (whoohoo)
1998: 0-1 (lost play-in game)
2000; 1-2 (won play in, lost consy)
2001: 1-1 (2nd place)
2002: 1-1 (2nd place. lost in 2OT)

Overall: 7-5, with 4 trips to the final and 2 championships. Not too shabby, overall, and hard to complain TOO much about the last time we played there. :)
Agreed! My point is that the ice size probably had more of a negative impact on Cornell teams ten years ago than it would today. Even then the effect was not large enough to, by itself, determine the result of the tournament.

Date: October 03, 2012 05:33PM

Steve Hagwell will be on Ken Schott's radio program, "Slap Schotts", Thursday AM to discuss the ECAC move. If I remember from last year, there is a online or podcast replay afterward. I plan on asking about the hotel situation. Maybe someone wants to ask about official date for coaches practices.

Date: October 05, 2012 01:27PM

Jim Hyla
Steve Hagwell will be on Ken Schott's radio program, "Slap Schotts", Thursday AM to discuss the ECAC move. If I remember from last year, there is a online or podcast replay afterward. I plan on asking about the hotel situation. Maybe someone wants to ask about official date for coaches practices.

Mr. Hagwell said he's going to LP this week and will bring up the cancelation policy. In a later email to me, he agreed that before the quarterfinals was not how it should be.

Date: October 05, 2012 01:32PM

Jim Hyla
Jim Hyla

Mr. Hagwell said he's going to LP this week and will bring up the cancelation policy. In a later email to me, he agreed that before the quarterfinals was not how it should be.

So the league didn't address it at all before signing up for LP?

Date: October 05, 2012 01:34PM

Jordan 04
Jim Hyla
Jim Hyla

You thought they would? These are the genii who signed up for Atlantic City.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2012 02:53PM

Jordan 04
Jim Hyla
Jim Hyla
Unclear what sway the arena schedulers / bookers have over the individual hotels. Unless when the arena books other events it puts the hotels that have been nice, not the ones who've been naughty, on an approved lodging list. The ECAC certainly doesn't want to be in the business of guaranteeing hotel rooms and finding the final four teams are all low-draw schools.

Date: October 08, 2012 03:44PM

billhoward
Jordan 04
Jim Hyla
Jim Hyla
Unclear what sway the arena schedulers / bookers have over the individual hotels. Unless when the arena books other events it puts the hotels that have been nice, not the ones who've been naughty, on an approved lodging list. The ECAC certainly doesn't want to be in the business of guaranteeing hotel rooms and finding the final four teams are all low-draw schools.
Seems to me the ECACH could have told the LP organizers to get the hotels to commit or forget about hosting the tournament.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2012 05:33PM

We have a cabin outside Lake Placid and spend time in town; over the summer I heard a number of merchants in LP complaining about how disorganized Lake Placid's promotions efforts are. Which could mean they're disorganized or business is never good enough to suit the merchants and of course it's somebody else's fault. So if this sampling of merchants is typical, it might be hard to get them to see things Lake Placid's way. For us personally, we'd be hard-pressed to want to book a room in advance on the chance we're not seeing Cornell play.

(One of the merchant complaints seemed basic and legit: They just want a timely summary of what's going on in town at the arena, expected attendance, and when the event lets out, so they can decide to bring on extra wait staff. This complaint I heard as the bar was wall-to-wall lacrosse players. LP's summer lax tournaments are big draws.)

Date: October 09, 2012 09:41AM

billhoward
Jordan 04
Jim Hyla
Jim Hyla
Unclear what sway the arena schedulers / bookers have over the individual hotels.

Indeed. But it's quite clear what sway the league has over determining where their own tournament is held. As in, "Hey LP organizers, if this hotel thing continues to be a problem, I'm not sure this location is the best one for our fans."

Date: October 09, 2012 11:55AM

Jordan 04
Indeed. But it's quite clear what sway the league has over determining where their own tournament is held. As in, "Hey LP organizers, if this hotel thing continues to be a problem, I'm not sure this location is the best one for our fans."

I think you may be overestimating the amount of business the ECACs bring in. My impression of LP is that it's fed in winter by skiing and other weekend warrior activities. The kind of weather-related things where the hotels want the one week cancellation insurance policy.

No harm trying, of course, but I doubt the ECAC really matters in their balance sheets.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 11:56AM by Trotsky.

Date: October 09, 2012 12:20PM

Trotsky
Jordan 04

I think you may be overestimating the amount of business the ECACs bring in. My impression of LP is that it's fed in winter by skiing and other weekend warrior activities. The kind of weather-related things where the hotels want the one week cancellation insurance policy.

No harm trying, of course, but I doubt the ECAC really matters in their balance sheets.
I think you missed the point. If the LP organizers can't deliver an appropriate hotel cancellation policy, the ECACH shouldn't hold its tournament there. That's a matter of deciding, not "trying," on the part of the ECACH.

Date: October 09, 2012 12:30PM

Trotsky
Jordan 04

Presumably they were the highest bidder for the tournament, so apparently they see some value in bringing the business to their town that weekend.

Date: October 09, 2012 03:05PM

Jordan 04
Presumably they were the highest bidder for the tournament, so apparently they see some value in bringing the business to their town that weekend.

There's a difference between the building's management group and the hotel community. The hotels need commitments -- why should they risk having thousands of late cancellations if the big fan bases lose in the QF? What enticement can the rink offer them to swallow that risk? Short of insuring late cancellation fees at the hotels, what can they do?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 03:06PM by Trotsky.

Date: October 09, 2012 03:08PM

Al DeFlorio
If the LP organizers can't deliver an appropriate hotel cancellation policy, the ECACH shouldn't hold its tournament there. That's a matter of deciding, not "trying," on the part of the ECACH.

OK, I can see it as a show stopper criterion. I don't see how the rink could ever make it happen, but sure, the ECAC could impose any restriction it wanted on the qualification of a bid.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 03:09PM by Trotsky.

Date: October 09, 2012 03:13PM

Jordan 04
I can't vouch for the accuracy or credibility of this, but the Albany organizers claim they were the high bidder.

Date: October 09, 2012 03:36PM

Trotsky
Jordan 04

There's a difference between the building's management group and the hotel community. The hotels need commitments -- why should they risk having thousands of late cancellations if the big fan bases lose in the QF? What enticement can the rink offer them to swallow that risk? Short of insuring late cancellation fees at the hotels, what can they do?

What I suggested to Mr. Hagwell was something like cancellation some time Sunday, or Monday AM. That way there would be plenty of time for them to get their rooms filled by fans of other schools. And, although I didn't mention it, it could be only for those that are close in. If places in Saranac Lake didn't want to, OK. I can't believe that a hotel, in town and close enough to walk to the rink, is ever going to have to worry about not having someone pick up an empty room. OK, maybe one empty room, but not like thousands.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2012 04:22PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jordan 04

What I suggested to Mr. Hagwell was something like cancellation some time Sunday, or Monday AM. That way there would be plenty of time for them to get their rooms filled by fans of other schools. And, although I didn't mention it, it could be only for those that are close in. If places in Saranac Lake didn't want to, OK. I can't believe that a hotel, in town and close enough to walk to the rink, is ever going to have to worry about not having someone pick up an empty room. OK, maybe one empty room, but not like thousands.
Just wait for the Colgate, Princeton, Brown, Dartmouth ECAC Final Weekend

Date: October 09, 2012 04:26PM

Trotsky
Jordan 04

I was not saying the onus is on the arena's management to ensure that there are ECAC fan-friendly hotel policies. Rather, ensuring that the location, venue, and surrounding accommodations are as fan-friendly as they can be are the responsibility, IMO, of the league as part of their site selection process. Hence my confusion that Hagwell would look to address this after they committed to the location.

(As to your comment, there's a reason CVB's exist. It's routine for a city's biggest tourism draws to work with local accommodations to ensure the market is doing what they can to make the destination the strongest draw possible for discretionary spending. And maybe in Lake Placid's case they have done this, and continue to conclude that stringent cancellation policies are the best course of action. Or maybe the tourist attractions wish the hotel's were more lenient. Who knows.)

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: October 09, 2012 05:06PM

Jordan 04
Hence my confusion that Hagwell would look to address this after they committed to the location.

How aware do you think Hagwell and the league were that this was a concern?

Date: October 10, 2012 10:50AM

RichH
Jordan 04
Hence my confusion that Hagwell would look to address this after they committed to the location.

How aware do you think Hagwell and the league were that this was a concern?

I don't know. I have no way of knowing (or even estimating) that.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2012 05:27PM

Maybe the hurricane could make Boardwalk Hall unusable.

Date: October 29, 2012 05:48PM

nyc94
I was not the only one thinking it. My fantasy was:

"Boardwalk hall collapsed!"
--"Was anyone injured?"
"Thank God, no!"
--"Ok, in that case... good."

Posted by: munchkin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2012 06:45PM

Kyle Rose
nyc94

--"Was anyone injured?"
"Thank God, no!"
I was just thinking that, too, after looking at this: In Memoriam: Atlantic City Boardwalk

Date: October 29, 2012 07:16PM

munchkin
Kyle Rose
nyc94

--"Was anyone injured?"
"Thank God, no!"
I was just thinking that, too, after looking at this: In Memoriam: Atlantic City Boardwalk
Wow. I feel bad for the sand dunes.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: October 29, 2012 07:36PM

nyc94

I too am guilty of those thoughts. Glad I'm not the only one with a dark side like that.

I hope everyone in the path of Sandy stays safe.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2012 08:00PM

Hurricane Sandy could affect March's ECAC Hockey championships in Atlantic City

Mostly just speculation and not much content, but still somewhat interesting nonetheless.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2012 08:09PM

Hopefully it will be fine. If not AC, then hopefully Albany.

Date: October 30, 2012 12:20PM

There's going to be a huge amount of money pumped into AC by March. If it were a December event I'd worry; by then everything will be fine.

This is a Good Thing, because we've never won it at Boardwalk.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: October 30, 2012 05:54PM

Trotsky
There's going to be a huge amount of money pumped into AC by March. If it were a December event I'd worry; by then everything will be fine.

This is a Good Thing, because we've never won it at Boardwalk.
If I recall correctly, the record is that Cornell has won in every host city, not every venue, from what you've said before because Cornell did not win in one Boston venue, so as long as Atlantic City still hosts the 2013 ECAC Championships Cornell should have its chance. I might be wrong about this fact though.

I do hope the Hall in AC is okay though.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: October 31, 2012 11:33AM

Aaron M. Griffin
If I recall correctly, the record is that Cornell has won in every host city, not every venue, from what you've said before because Cornell did not win in one Boston venue
Correct, the first four (?) tourneys were held in Matthews Arena (then Boston Arena) and Cornell did not win there.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 31, 2012 11:42AM

Aaron M. Griffin
I do hope the Hall in AC is okay though.

However bad the location may be for the ECAC, BH is a beautiful building, at least judging from what I saw on TV.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 31, 2012 05:11PM

We're still in AC. Ken Schott reports:

Superstorm Sandy can't knock ECAC Hockey championships out of Atlantic City
By Ken Schott
Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Superstorm Sandy wasn't strong enough to knock the ECAC Hockey championships out of Atlantic City, N.J.

After receiving some encouraging reports from officials of Boardwalk Hall, where the championships will take place, ECACH commissioner Steve Hagwell said on Wednesday that the league's final four will remain in Atlantic City.

"The [underground] parking garage got a little water, but the building is fine," Hagwell said. "It didn't sustain any damage."

This is the final year of the league's three-year deal in Atlantic City. The tournament moves to Lake Placid for three years starting in 2014.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 31, 2012 05:26PM

Excellent!

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login