Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Alumni in the Pros: June 2012

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Cornell Alumni in the Pros: June 2012
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: June 06, 2012 07:34AM

As reported by Ken Schott, CBS Sports Network will televise the rest of the Calder Cup finals.

Re: Cornell Alumni in the Pros: June 2012
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2012 09:21AM

Thank you, non-Devils fans, for not rubbing it in about the Devils' impending Stanley Cup demise. It would have been nicer for the Devils to win, Brodeur be named MVP, and then decide to retire ... rather than the Devils collapse and Brodeur come back and rust away for 1-2-3 more years before hanging it up.

Seeing Ithacan Dustin Brown's play for LA makes you wonder what the Big Red would have been like if he'd spent a year or two at Cornell. NCAA title? Cornell single season record for NHL-style hard hits and college style penalty minutes?

[elf.elynah.com] December 2002
colo83
Who is Dustin Brown? Is he a Little Red and is he a prospect?
Al DeFlorio
Was and isn't.:`(

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2012 09:56AM

billhoward
Seeing Ithacan Dustin Brown's play for LA makes you wonder what the Big Red would have been like if he'd spent a year or two at Cornell. NCAA title? Cornell single season record for NHL-style hard hits and college style penalty minutes?

Seeing Ithacan Dustin Brown's play for LA doesn't make me wonder what the Big Red would have been like if he'd spent a year or two at Cornell any more than seeing Claude Giroux's play for Philadelphia makes me wonder what the Big Red would have been like if he'd spent a year or two at Cornell - or any other player who made it clear from early on that he wasn't going to play college hockey, for that matter. Not everybody wants to play college hockey, not everybody would benefit from playing college hockey, and the moment Dustin decided at age fifteen that he was going to play Canadian major juniors, he closed the door on college hockey.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2012 11:38AM

billhoward
Thank you, non-Devils fans, for not rubbing it in about the Devils' impending Stanley Cup demise. It would have been nicer for the Devils to win, Brodeur be named MVP, and then decide to retire ... rather than the Devils collapse and Brodeur come back and rust away for 1-2-3 more years before hanging it up.

[elf.elynah.com] December 2002
colo83
Who is Dustin Brown? Is he a Little Red and is he a prospect?
Al DeFlorio
Was and isn't.:`(
I'd only feel like rubbing it in if a)my team hadn't lost to your team and b)The Kings winning the cup hadn't been completely inevitable since they swept St. Louis. Simply put they're not a real 8 seed. They're 32-7-2 since the Jeff Carter trade, and since the deadline, they've been the best puck possession team in hockey, meaning this isn't a fluke. Add in that Johnathan Quick is far and away the best goalie on the planet and of course they were going to win the cup.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2012 04:31PM by css228.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: June 06, 2012 01:12PM

Not a Cornell Alum, but one of the ECAC and also very sad news from NHL.com:

Former Clarkson player Bryan Rufenach died while traveling in Switzerland.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 06, 2012 04:29PM

css228
meaning this isn't a fluke.

At this point, I don't see how anyone could reasonably think otherwise. A fluke can get an undeserving team a series, maybe two. It can't get them one win from the Cup with only two losses in the postseason.

Anyway, while we're thanking each other for not rubbing painful things in... thanks to all the non-Bruins fans who could have very easily pointed out that they've been saying for years that Tim Thomas is a schmuck.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2012 07:28PM

billhoward
Thank you, non-Devils fans, for not rubbing it in about the Devils' impending Stanley Cup demise.

We can't really rub it in. Since there are no Kings fans here (I think), your team made it farther than all of ours. In fact, there's probably a pretty large contingent of Flyers and Rangers fans on eLynah, meaning you're the one with the ability to rub things in.

Date: June 06, 2012 11:01PM

jtn27
billhoward
Thank you, non-Devils fans, for not rubbing it in about the Devils' impending Stanley Cup demise.

We can't really rub it in. Since there are no Kings fans here (I think), your team made it farther than all of ours. In fact, there's probably a pretty large contingent of Flyers and Rangers fans on eLynah, meaning you're the one with the ability to rub things in.
Kings? That's an organization? I've only heard of a Flyers West

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 04:35AM

css228
jtn27
billhoward

I take it as an example of what the Flyers could have done for the poast few years if they only had a real goalie.

I'm glad for Richie and Carts. Better them than the Devils.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 10:09AM

ftyuv
Anyway, while we're thanking each other for not rubbing painful things in... thanks to all the non-Bruins fans who could have very easily pointed out that they've been saying for years that Tim Thomas is a schmuck.
We don't have to remind you because he's doing it himself.

(Honestly though: he's a goalie, so why is anyone surprised that he's crazy?)

Date: June 07, 2012 12:09PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
css228
jtn27
billhoward

I take it as an example of what the Flyers could have done for the poast few years if they only had a real goalie.

I'm glad for Richie and Carts. Better them than the Devils.
Biron was underrated, And I while I'm happy for Richie, Gagsy, Hextall, Stevens, Lombardi, and Williams, I will never be happy for Carts. He should be languishing in Columbus for the remainder of his career.

Date: June 07, 2012 01:51PM

css228
jtn27
billhoward

Typical Philadelphia fan. Can't win a championship, so claim someone else's.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 02:19PM

jtn27
css228
jtn27
billhoward

In fairness, A) Philly did win a championship not that long ago, and B) "can't win a championship, so claim someone else's" sounds a lot more like what Boston fans did when the Avalanche won the Cup with Bourque in 2001 than what I've heard Flyers fans doing now.

Date: June 07, 2012 02:40PM

Josh '99
jtn27
css228
jtn27
billhoward

In fairness, A) Philly did win a championship not that long ago, and B) "can't win a championship, so claim someone else's" sounds a lot more like what Boston fans did when the Avalanche won the Cup with Bourque in 2001 than what I've heard Flyers fans doing now.

To be honest, I have no idea if this is typical Philly fan behavior or not. It just seemed like it was an appropriate thing to say about a city with one championship in the last 40 years. However, my point still stands. By calling the Kings "Flyers West," they're claiming credit for the (probable) Kings championship.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 02:50PM

jtn27
Josh '99
jtn27
css228
jtn27
billhoward

To be honest, I have no idea if this is typical Philly fan behavior or not. It just seemed like it was an appropriate thing to say about a city with one championship in the last 40 years. However, my point still stands. By calling the Kings "Flyers West," they're claiming credit for the (probable) Kings championship.
Based on my understanding of Philly fan behavior, I think they're actually bitter that those guys are winning somewhere else.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 03:46PM

Josh '99
jtn27
css228
jtn27
billhoward

Insofar as this was a concession that there even exists a place that isn't Boston or New York, it was actually very generous of us to claim success on the part of a Colorado team.

Date: June 07, 2012 06:42PM

jtn27
Josh '99
jtn27
css228
jtn27
billhoward

1 Championship in the last 40 years is not even close to on the mark. 40 years back from 2012 goes back to 1972. If you had said one championship in the last 27 you'd be correct, but its still more titles than the team you abandoned has won. Seriously though, good for Gagne and Hextall. Both deserve a cup. Just wish Terry MUrray's firing had worked out this well for us. And on that note congrats to Lidstrom on a classy career, even if it did include being the primary reason for my first childhood sporting disappointment.

Date: June 07, 2012 07:47PM

css228
1 Championship in the last 40 years is not even close to on the mark. 40 years back from 2012 goes back to 1972. If you had said one championship in the last 27 you'd be correct, but its still more titles than the team you abandoned has won. Seriously though, good for Gagne and Hextall. Both deserve a cup. Just wish Terry MUrray's firing had worked out this well for us. And on that note congrats to Lidstrom on a classy career, even if it did include being the primary reason for my first childhood sporting disappointment.

My mistake. I meant 30 years. I forgot that the 76ers won in 1983 (well, more accurately, I just didn't know since I don't care about the NBA).

Posted by: Ben (158.143.161.---)
Date: June 07, 2012 08:04PM

css228
If you had said one championship in the last 27 you'd be correct, but its still more titles than the team you abandoned has won.
Zzzzzzzzzing.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-226-125.myvzw.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 10:28PM

Ben Scrivens and his Toronto Marlies just lost a heart-breaker in game three of the Calder Cup finals. Nursing a 0-0 tie in OT, a puck thrown into the Marlies zone bounced off a stanchion and into the goal while Scrivens was waiting behind the net. Picture the Lynah zamboni door bounce of days gone by.....

The Marlies are now down 3 games to none in that series..... What a way to lose a key game at home!!!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2012 01:49AM

jtn27
css228

My mistake. I meant 30 years. I forgot that the 76ers won in 1983 (well, more accurately, I just didn't know since I don't care about the NBA).

I am not a Flyers fan but the Flyers did win the Stanley Cup in 1974 and 1975, so there are two others that Philadelphia can claim in that span as well. The second was against my team.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2012 01:51AM

redice
Ben Scrivens and his Toronto Marlies just lost a heart-breaker in game three of the Calder Cup finals. Nursing a 0-0 tie in OT, a puck thrown into the Marlies zone bounced off a stanchion and into the goal while Scrivens was waiting behind the net. Picture the Lynah zamboni door bounce of days gone by.....

The Marlies are now down 3 games to none in that series..... What a way to lose a key game at home!!!
It looks like Scrivens had a stellar performance. It is sad that such an effort ended in disappointment.

Date: June 08, 2012 02:34AM

Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
css228

I am not a Flyers fan but the Flyers did win the Stanley Cup in 1974 and 1975, so there are two others that Philadelphia can claim in that span as well. The second was against my team.
Not to mention the Phillies won in 1980. So in the time span you originally said, you only underestimated by 400%.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (60.169.86.---)
Date: June 08, 2012 03:38AM

Josh '99
jtn27
Josh '99
jtn27
css228
jtn27
billhoward

Based on my understanding of Philly fan behavior, I think they're actually bitter that those guys are winning somewhere else.

As a Philly fan, I would say it comes down to "Why the hell couldn't they do that when they were here?" or "Look at all the good players (insert team name here)'s management traded away." It is in no way taking credit for their success.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2012 06:02AM

Ben looked great when I caught the third period. It was on CBS Sports (as previously mentioned on eLynah). The cable guide did not show this and may not show hockey for the fourth game on Saturday. The broadcast was from the Leaf TV Network and therefore was more focused on the Marlies.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-194-32.myvzw.com)
Date: June 08, 2012 06:16AM

marty
Ben looked great when I caught the third period. It was on CBS Sports (as previously mentioned on eLynah). The cable guide did not show this and may not show hockey for the fourth game on Saturday. The broadcast was from the Leaf TV Network and therefore was more focused on the Marlies.

It's a 3PM game on Saturday...

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2012 08:57AM

It's been noted that the goal should have been disallowed. It was a delayed offsides and you can't score a goal on a shot on goal from the shoot-in. Definitely heartbreaking and a bad call.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: June 08, 2012 10:06AM

css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
css228

Not to mention the Phillies won in 1980. So in the time span you originally said, you only underestimated by 400%.
The Phillies won IN 2008. What is the matter with you people?

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2012 10:17AM

ugarte
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
css228

ADD? 2008 is sooooo 3 years ago.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2012 10:25AM

ugarte
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
css228

jtn27
To be honest, I have no idea if this is typical Philly fan behavior or not. It just seemed like it was an appropriate thing to say about a city with one championship in the last 40 years.

css228 and I were operating under the assumption, that I believe to be correct still, that jtn27 was counting the 2008 World Series win as Philadelphia's "one championship in the last 40 years."

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: June 08, 2012 11:25AM

Aaron M. Griffin
ugarte
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
css228

jtn27
To be honest, I have no idea if this is typical Philly fan behavior or not. It just seemed like it was an appropriate thing to say about a city with one championship in the last 40 years.

css228 and I were operating under the assumption, that I believe to be correct still, that jtn27 was counting the 2008 World Series win as Philadelphia's "one championship in the last 40 years."
Flyers in 2010?

Date: June 08, 2012 11:28AM

Enough stupid talk about Philadelphia because, seriously, Philadelphia?

Poor Ben Scrivens.
video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: June 08, 2012 12:49PM

ugarte
Enough stupid talk about Philadelphia because, seriously, Philadelphia?

Poor Ben Scrivens.
video: [www.youtube.com]

At least the AHL owned up to the officiating mistake.

“We have spoken with Toronto Marlies management and confirmed that a rules interpretation error by the on-ice officials occurred on the Norfolk Admirals’ overtime goal during Game 3 of the Calder Cup Finals.

“On the play, a dump-in from center ice by a Norfolk player caromed off a stanchion and into the Toronto net. The correct application of AHL Rule 83.4 would have negated the Norfolk goal due to a delayed offside call.

“As AHL By-Laws do not allow for any change to the final result of a game based on an incorrect rule interpretation, the result of the game stands.”

[theahl.com]

Date: June 08, 2012 01:24PM

Aaron M. Griffin

That is correct. However, as I mentioned earlier, I meant to write "one championship in the last 30 years." I'm not sure why I wrote "40."

Date: June 08, 2012 01:26PM

jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

That is correct. However, as I mentioned earlier, I meant to write "one championship in the last 30 years." I'm not sure why I wrote "40."
Flyers in 2010? STOP DIGGING.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2012 03:05PM

ugarte
The Blackhawks won that series.

though it took most of us a couple seconds to realize that the puck was in the Flyers' net.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 03:07PM by cbuckser.

Date: June 08, 2012 04:11PM

I need to cut back on the caffeine and improve my prescription or something. Must have read a list of appearances. Where's that gorge when you need it?

Date: June 08, 2012 07:06PM

cbuckser
ugarte
The Blackhawks won that series.

though it took most of us a couple seconds to realize that the puck was in the Flyers' net.
Most anti-climatic overtime game to end a Stanley Cup ever.

Milo sues UVM
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-166-248-12.myvzw.com)
Date: June 09, 2012 09:41AM

Really? This kid, and whoever advises him, don't go away. Apparently being cut for a bad attitude is grounds for a suit.
[www.uscho.com]

Re: Milo sues UVM
Date: June 09, 2012 10:10AM

Chris '03
Really? This kid, and whoever advises him, don't go away. Apparently being cut for a bad attitude is grounds for a suit.
[www.uscho.com]

Why did he transfer to UVM? Is it possible there were behavioral issues at Cornell too?

Posted by: Will (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2012 12:11PM

jtn27
Chris '03
[www.uscho.com]

Why did he transfer to UVM? Is it possible there were behavioral issues at Cornell too?

My recollection of Milo's rumored behavior and attitude at Cornell seem to be consistent with what seems to have happened at Vermont.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2012 12:33PM

Will
jtn27
Chris '03
[www.uscho.com]

My recollection of Milo's rumored behavior and attitude at Cornell seem to be consistent with what seems to have happened at Vermont.

So sue Schafer, too, but maybe he should sue Schaefer while he's at it.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2012 10:27AM

I thought a decent part of Milo's transferring was that he wanted to play baseball as well, and Schafer didn't want him to.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2012 01:27PM

Dafatone
I thought a decent part of Milo's transferring was that he wanted to play baseball as well, and Schafer didn't want him to.
That was an inaccurate rumor or assumption.

Date: June 10, 2012 11:21PM

css228
jtn27
Josh '99
jtn27
css228
jtn27
billhoward

Hextall deserves a boot to the face, not a cup.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2012 12:07AM

Josh '99
css228
jtn27
Josh '99
jtn27
css228
jtn27
billhoward

Why not a boot to the cup?

Date: June 11, 2012 09:41AM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99
css228
jtn27
Josh '99
jtn27
css228
jtn27
billhoward

I like the way you think. :-D

Posted by: cth95 (---.sub-166-248-5.myvzw.com)
Date: June 11, 2012 11:52PM

It's funny you say that. I remember a friend of mine coming into school one day after watching a Bruins/Flyers game the night before and telling me Hextall had taken a slapshot right to the boys. He said later in the broadcast they showed a seriously dented metal cup. Everything is plastic now, so someone can confirm if this was possible and if goalies actually did use metal back in the mid 80's.

(Ralph) Krueger: Oilers Head Coach
Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: June 27, 2012 02:53PM

Not sure where this goes but Raplh Krueger is the new head coach in Edmonton:
[www.cbssports.com]

Also, worth noting that RPI's Adam Oates had a TREMENDOUS day yesterday. Named head coach in Washington and Hockey Hall of Famer.

Alumni
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2012 07:04AM

Brendon Nash signs for one year with Montreal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login