Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Full Shields closer to being eliminated

Posted by redbear_71 
Full Shields closer to being eliminated
Posted by: redbear_71 (184.70.85.---)
Date: May 04, 2012 09:31PM

College hockey news reported that this is very close to becoming a reality.
Anyone know when this decision will take place?

Re: Full Shields closer to being eliminated
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2012 09:54PM

redbear_71
College hockey news reported that this is very close to becoming a reality.
Anyone know when this decision will take place?

Uh, the article points out all the hoops that it has to go through first. Sounds like a season from now, but I'm sure you can look up when all those committees meet.

I'd don't understand how the full sheild impairs peripheral vision, however.

But there is a passionate belief throughout college hockey that full shields impair peripheral and up-and-down vision, and create unsafe conditions in and of themselves.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2012 03:15AM

Jim Hyla

I have never played ice hockey without a cage, and I am happy to have my teeth, jaw, nose, and facial bones intact. I think it doesn't take very long to get used to wearing a birdcage or full shield.

I am highly skeptical that moving from cages to 3/4 shields would reduce injuries. I have not perceived any additional recklessness in hockey leagues that require full shields. Thus, I have doubts that the premise for the change is valid.

The entire debate reminds me of the arguments hockey people made in opposition to the radical notion of goaltenders wearing masks.

I suspect that the only people who would benefit from a rule change from full shields to 3/4 shields are dentists, x-ray technicians, orthopedists, and plastic shield manufacturers.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 10:59PM by cbuckser.

Posted by: adamw (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2012 02:26PM

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Has to go through various levels - but all of that would be hashed out in June at the NCAA Convention. And then the Board meets in August. It's conceivable it could be implemented for next season.

@Jim ... I believe the argument is against the full cage hampering peripheral vision, which, from having worn one as a teenager, I believe is true. Players don't wear full visors because of the fogging issue - so the overwhelming majority wear cages.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2012 04:13PM

adamw

Has to go through various levels - but all of that would be hashed out in June at the NCAA Convention. And then the Board meets in August. It's conceivable it could be implemented for next season.

@Jim ... I believe the argument is against the full cage hampering peripheral vision, which, from having worn one as a teenager, I believe is true. Players don't wear full visors because of the fogging issue - so the overwhelming majority wear cages.
The 2010-2012 NCAA rule book has a short section has a page title "Future Considerations", one of which is "Half shields - men's hockey"

The committee's men's members plan to collect data and work with appropriate medical agencies and committees during the next two years to consider allowing half shields as a legal piece of equipment. The improved technology of the equipment seems to have merit and the coaching community is supportive of this direction.

So what is the definition of a 3/4 or 1/2 shield? 3/4 extends down to the level of the upper lip? 1/2 extends down to the bottom of the nose? What is a visor? Don't tell me you know it when you see it. burnout

Maybe I'm as blind as a ref, but I am puzzled by the role of the NCAA in this change. I can't find in the rule book any mention of full face shields or masks for the skaters. What the book does say is that the helmets must be HECC-approved and face masks must meet HECC standards. HECC is never defined in the book. I do find the Hockey Equipment Certification Council on the web, so I assume they are the organization referred to. They seem to be affiliated with Hockey USA. The HECC says:

NOTICE TO CONSUMERS REGARDING THE USE OF VISORS
Visors provide significantly less protection than full face protection.
Visors provide only partial protection for the eyes and no protection for the mouth, teeth, lower face, and jaw.
To minimize the risks of injury, full-face protection is recommended.

But HECC says that they do not write standards either, they just hire an "independent validator" to ensure that the helmets and masks meet ASTM (or CSA) standards. Although I am not prepared to spend $46 to get a PDF of "ASTM F513 - 12 Standard Specification for Eye and Face Protective Equipment for Hockey Players," the abstract says:

ASTM F513 - 12 Standard Specification for Eye and Face Protective Equipment for Hockey Players

Abstract

Scope

1.1 This specification covers performance requirements and test methods for face protectors marketed, sold, and intended for ice hockey.

1.2 The intent of this specification is to reduce the risk of injury to the face without compromising the form or appeal of the game. To do so, the face protector shall be used:

1.2.1 As intended within the rules of the game and

1.2.2 In accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

1.3 Ice hockey is a sport with intrinsic hazards associated with the normal conduct of the game. Participation in ice hockey implies the acceptance of some risk of injury. Use of a face protector certified to this specification will not prevent all injuries.

1.4 This specification has been prepared after careful consideration of the frequency and mechanisms associated with facial and eye injuries that can potentially occur within the rules of the game of ice hockey.

1.5 Requirements and the corresponding test methods, where appropriate, are given for the following:

1.5.1 Construction,

1.5.2 Puck impact resistance,

1.5.3 Penetration,

1.5.4 Field of vision, and

1.5.5 Marking and information.

1.6 Face protection is intended for use by players, goalkeepers, and certain functionaries (for example, referees and coaches). Types of protectors considered under this specification are:

1.6.1 Type B1—A full-face protector intended for use by persons older than ten years of age, other than goaltenders;

1.6.2 Type B2—A full-face protector intended for use by persons ten years of age or younger, other than goaltenders; and

1.6.3 Type C (Visor)—A visor intended for use by person in the junior age category and older, other than goaltenders.

1.7 Units—The values stated in SI units are to be regarded as the standard. No other units of measurement are included in this standard.

1.8 Use of the singular does not exclude the plural (and vice versa) when the sense allows.

1.9 Although the intended primary application of this specification is stated in this scope, note that it remains the responsibility of the users of this specification to judge its suitability for their particular purpose.

1.10 This standard does not purport to address all of the safety concerns, if any, associated with its use. It is the responsibility of the user of this standard to establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use.
ASTM does seem to have a very interesting collection of hockey safety information, for a price.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2012 09:47PM

adamw

I don't see how this inhibits peripheral vision. Unless you mean the first post out from the helmet. But I wouldn't look at that as peripheral. My thought of peripheral is as lateral as you can see, not just something off to the side. Maybe semantics, but when we check peripheral vision, we check how far to the side you can see. We don't mean a post off to the side. Afterall there are posts in front as well, so you could say it hinders your forward vision. As I said, probably semantics, but not as usually used medically.

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2012 10:00AM

cbuckser
Jim Hyla

I have never played ice hockey without a cage, and I am happy to have my teeth, jaw, nose, and facial bones intact. I think it doesn't take very long to get used to wearing a birdcage or full shield.

I am highly skeptical that moving from cages to 3/4 shields would reduce injuries. I have not perceived any additional recklessness in hockey leagues that require full shields. Thus, I have doubts that the premise for the change is valid.

The entire debate reminds me of the arguments hockey people made in opposition to the radical notion of goaltenders wearing masks.

I suspect that the only people who would benefit from a rule change from full shields to 3/4 shields are dentists, x-ray technicians, orthopedists, and plastic shield manufacturers.

I totally agree. I have played hockey with a cage for ~25 years. It has not in any way hampered my vision and I am also glad to have my face intact.

Posted by: nr53 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 11:53PM

MattS
cbuckser
Jim Hyla

I totally agree. I have played hockey with a cage for ~25 years. It has not in any way hampered my vision and I am also glad to have my face intact.

I've only played hockey for two years and I've only worn a cage other than the one time I went to a practice a friend of mine was holding for the team she was coaching. I played without a shield or visor and the difference was really noticeable. I wouldn't play an actual game without a full shield because I'm not a professional and any damage to my face is repaired with money out of my pocket, but I did feel a greater sense of awareness without anything in front of my eyes. That could have also been fear that some tiny 14 year old girl was going to wire a shot into my face.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 06:47AM

i dont think a cage limits vision more than a the first few times you actually use it. much like a catcher learning to ignore the bat swing when catching a pitch.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 09:09AM

nr53
I've only played hockey for two years and I've only worn a cage other than the one time I went to a practice a friend of mine was holding for the team she was coaching. I played without a shield or visor and the difference was really noticeable.
I agree. There is a huge difference not having the cage on. I wear the cage because I want my teeth, nose, and eyes intact, not because I've fooled myself into thinking it doesn't matter.

But I think the real argument in favor of eliminating cages is that it reduces injuries from players blocking slapshot pucks without fear of puck breaking one's face. At the luncheon once a few years back, Coach Schafer mentioned how in the NHL players get out of the way of heavy shots, like the Red Sea parting: in college, by contrast, players go down on one knee and try to block heavy shots, a behavior that results in unnecessary injuries. Eliminating the face shield effectively removes the moral hazard here by putting the fear of god back into the players. At least, that is the argument as I understand it.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 12:40PM

Kyle Rose
nr53
I've only played hockey for two years and I've only worn a cage other than the one time I went to a practice a friend of mine was holding for the team she was coaching. I played without a shield or visor and the difference was really noticeable.
I agree. There is a huge difference not having the cage on. I wear the cage because I want my teeth, nose, and eyes intact, not because I've fooled myself into thinking it doesn't matter.

Count me in this camp, too.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 01:16PM

OK, I'm willing to say that it makes a difference, even though I don't understand how. I don't have the experience since all I ever played was pond hockey, and we never wore facemasks.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 01:20PM

Kyle Rose
nr53

But I think the real argument in favor of eliminating cages is that it reduces injuries from players blocking slapshot pucks without fear of puck breaking one's face. At the luncheon once a few years back, Coach Schafer mentioned how in the NHL players get out of the way of heavy shots, like the Red Sea parting: in college, by contrast, players go down on one knee and try to block heavy shots, a behavior that results in unnecessary injuries. Eliminating the face shield effectively removes the moral hazard here by putting the fear of god back into the players. At least, that is the argument as I understand it.

I thought the major concern was players, who are checking, being more likely to have their stick up or hit higher. Without the full mask players instinctively were more careful. That's not to say your reason is not valid.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: May 07, 2012 01:32PM

Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
nr53

I thought the major concern was players, who are checking, being more likely to have their stick up or hit higher. Without the full mask players instinctively were more careful. That's not to say your reason is not valid.

That's my impression from the arguments I've heard, and the "heavy shot" argument also makes sense. Players would be less inclined to make dangerous hits as well as be more aware not to put themselves in positions of being hit dangerously. Jack Parker specifically has been most visible about it since Travis Roy's injury, as mentioned in the CHN article.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: May 07, 2012 06:29PM

RichH
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
nr53

That's my impression from the arguments I've heard, and the "heavy shot" argument also makes sense. Players would be less inclined to make dangerous hits as well as be more aware not to put themselves in positions of being hit dangerously. Jack Parker specifically has been most visible about it since Travis Roy's injury, as mentioned in the CHN article.

Huh? I think that they have a name for NHL players who do not try to block "heavy shots". They are called "former NHL players".

As for the Travis Roy type of injury, I think that it is unlikely that a face mask makes a big difference unless the energy of the hit is really absorbed by the damage to the face. Cuts and abrasions probably do not absorb a lot of energy. It would take some serious cartidge or bone damage. You need force acting over a distance. Plus, if your head is down so much that it is the compression of the neck that absorbes the hit then it probably means that it is the helmet striking the boards and not the mask. (Does anyone know if this was the case in the Tavis Roy incident?).

I am surprised that the issues of fan apeal and transition to professional hockey have not come up as motives for the change. Seems a bit disingenuous.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 09:22PM

Usually, it takes a bit longer to pick the puck up when it is in your skates, that is when you get blind sided.

BTW, it is rumored that McCarron has decommited from Mich State to join his brother at Cornell.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2012 09:31PM by Drew.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2012 10:42AM

Roy 82
RichH
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
nr53

Huh? I think that they have a name for NHL players who do not try to block "heavy shots". They are called "former NHL players".

Or "Luongo". ZING!

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2012 12:57PM

ftyuv
Roy 82
RichH
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
nr53

Or "Luongo". ZING!

+1

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: May 08, 2012 02:53PM

Every time I see this thread I think that a Romulan ship is attacking.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: May 08, 2012 03:06PM

ugarte
Every time I see this thread I think that a Romulan ship is attacking.

I keep thinking someone's planning to kill the oddly-named younger brother of a former Maine forward.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 09, 2012 11:04AM

Roy 82
RichH
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
nr53

As for the Travis Roy type of injury, I think that it is unlikely that a face mask makes a big difference unless the energy of the hit is really absorbed by the damage to the face. Cuts and abrasions probably do not absorb a lot of energy. It would take some serious cartidge or bone damage. You need force acting over a distance. Plus, if your head is down so much that it is the compression of the neck that absorbes the hit then it probably means that it is the helmet striking the boards and not the mask. (Does anyone know if this was the case in the Tavis Roy incident?).

I am surprised that the issues of fan apeal and transition to professional hockey have not come up as motives for the change. Seems a bit disingenuous.

The point I was trying to make with the Travis Roy injury wasn't about the effect of the impact of the hit, but that such a hit is less likely to be made in the first place. The following article put it better by saying that shields give players a false sense of security, and draws this conclusion using a study performed at the ECHL level.

I don't understand the mention of fan appeal. Are there people not coming to Lynah because they can't clearly see the team's mugs? If anything, I like the look of the full cages for a lone reason: it makes a televised game instantly identifiable as being a college game when flipping around.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 11:05AM by RichH.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login