Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Top players that are still not committed

Posted by flyersgolf 
Top players that are still not committed
Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 10:25PM

Wonder if any of these will be a late pick up. Greg Miller was an awesome late recruit.

NHL Central Scouting College Prospects

101 – F – Adam Gilmour – Nobles Prep
103 – F – Alex Gonye – Deerfield Prep
165 – F – Alexander Kerfoot – Coquitlam-BCHL
176 – D – Matt Benning – Spruce Grove-AJHL
198 – D – Mackenzie Weegar – Nepean-CCHL
203 – F – Jay Dickman – St. Paul Johnson HS
210 – F – Zach Pryzbek – Salisbury Prep

Re: Top players that are still not committed
Posted by: cbuckser (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 03:00PM

Cross Adam Gilmour off the list. After [url=]decommitting from Quinnipiac, he has committed to Boston College[/url].

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2012 03:47PM

cbuckser
Cross Adam Gilmour off the list. After [url=]decommitting from Quinnipiac, he has committed to Boston College[/url].[/quote]

the rich getting richer

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 15, 2012 09:00PM

scoop85
cbuckser
Cross Adam Gilmour off the list. After [url=]decommitting from Quinnipiac, he has committed to Boston College[/url].[/quote]

the rich getting richer[/quote] [/quote]

That's what happens when you win national championships.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2012 01:10AM by jtn27.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2012 09:19PM

scoop85
the rich getting richer

When it happens to us after we do well for a year or two, we call it "success breeding success." When it happens to someone else, it's "the rich getting richer."

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 17, 2012 07:18AM

Sort of belonging here. All-American Prospects game to debut in September

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2012 01:45AM

flyersgolf
Wonder if any of these will be a late pick up. Greg Miller was an awesome late recruit.

Some notes on Kerfoot who seems intent on earning a degree from a university and playing college hockey.

Alex Kerfoot
At this point I am pretty focused on going the NCAA route. I feel it gives me a little more time to develop as a player, and academics have always been pretty important to me. The three schools that I have visited are Boston College, Yale and Harvard, and they are all great schools, with great hockey programs that I am really interested in.

Kerfoot at 150th overall and Benning at 175th overall are listed as undecided as to which university they will be attending on the 2012 NHL Entry Draft information.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 25, 2012 05:55PM

Aaron M. Griffin
flyersgolf

Some notes on Kerfoot who seems intent on earning a degree from a university and playing college hockey.

Alex Kerfoot
At this point I am pretty focused on going the NCAA route. I feel it gives me a little more time to develop as a player, and academics have always been pretty important to me. The three schools that I have visited are Boston College, Yale and Harvard, and they are all great schools, with great hockey programs that I am really interested in.

Kerfoot at 150th overall and Benning at 175th overall are listed as undecided as to which university they will be attending on the 2012 NHL Entry Draft information.

Since when does Harvard (or Yale for that matter) have a "great hockey program."?

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: June 25, 2012 07:18PM

jtn27
Since when does Harvard (or Yale for that matter) have a "great hockey program."?
Does Cornell have a great hockey program? If so, what sets us apart from them? Our resume is not all that different than Harvard's when it comes right down to it. 12-8 in tournament titles, 8-8 in season titles, 8-12 in Frozen Four appearances, 2-1 in NCAA championships (and ours are pretty stale), etc. You'd have to draw a pretty fine line to get one of us above and the other below.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2012 08:28PM

Robb
Does Cornell have a great hockey program?

Yes.

Next?

Date: June 26, 2012 12:47AM

Robb
Does Cornell have a great hockey program? If so, what sets us apart from them? Our resume is not all that different than Harvard's when it comes right down to it. 12-8 in tournament titles, 8-8 in season titles, 8-12 in Frozen Four appearances, 2-1 in NCAA championships (and ours are pretty stale), etc. You'd have to draw a pretty fine line to get one of us above and the other below.

Besides the fact that "yes" is the absolutely correct answer to your inquiry, I feel the need to mention two other statistics. Firstly, I think that anyone being reasonable would conclude that Cornell and Harvard are nearly equally storied in intraconference play. You left out the fact that Cornell has 20 and Harvard has 23 Ivy-League Championships. That supports the conclusion that the programs are of equal prestige or that Harvard is slightly better in one area.

However, to be a great program, a program needs to have success not only on an intraconference level but on the national level. Harvard has not returned to the NCAA Tournament in six years. Cornell has competed in the tournament three times over that period. Harvard's all-time in the NCAA Tournament is 12-22-1. Cornell's record is 17-19-0. I think that difference is sufficient to indicate that Cornell is a great program, especially in comparison to Harvard's success at the same level. Also, Cornell has a record of 205-164-26 against programs with NCAA National Championships. I do not feel like investing the time to calculate Harvard's similar record, but I feel secure in assuming that it pales in comparison to Cornell's similar record.

The inclusion of Yale as a "great program" in the original quote is what made me laugh most. Sure, Harvard is a great program, I will admit that, but Cornell is far superior to both. Yale has no national championships, one Frozen Four appearance, five NCAA appearances, and two ECAC Championships. Cornell and Harvard are great programs, Yale is not even close.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: June 26, 2012 07:53AM

Aaron M. Griffin
Cornell and Harvard are great programs, Yale is not even close.
This, I completely agree with.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 26, 2012 11:22AM

Aaron M. Griffin
Yale has no national championships, one Frozen Four appearance, five NCAA appearances, and two ECAC Championships. Cornell and Harvard are great programs, Yale is not even close.
There was also 50 years of college hockey before the NCAA tournament, but IINM Yale was not a hockey power during that time either. Harvard and Dartmouth were, with Princeton at times.

Date: June 26, 2012 11:31AM

Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin
Yale has no national championships, one Frozen Four appearance, five NCAA appearances, and two ECAC Championships. Cornell and Harvard are great programs, Yale is not even close.
There was also 50 years of college hockey before the NCAA tournament, but IINM Yale was not a hockey power during that time either. Harvard and Dartmouth were, with Princeton at times.

The Yale Bulldogs men's ice hockey wiki claims that Yale won national championships in 1899, 1900, 1901, and 1902. I do not give much weight to them personally, but I read a Yale article once in which they referenced their "national championships in men's hockey."

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2012 12:15PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin

The Yale Bulldogs men's ice hockey wiki claims that Yale won national championships in 1899, 1900, 1901, and 1902. I do not give much weight to them personally, but I read a Yale article once in which they referenced their "national championships in men's hockey."

From 1899 to 1902, winning a "national championship" in men's hockey basically meant winning more games than the other seven or eight schools sponsoring teams in any given year, even if the season was only six games long. Nobody but Yale gives any weight to those achievements, and they certainly don't make Yale "a great hockey program."

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 26, 2012 01:39PM

Robb
jtn27
Since when does Harvard... have a "great hockey program."?
Does Cornell have a great hockey program? If so, what sets us apart from them?
The fact that we don't suck?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 26, 2012 02:53PM

Beeeej
From 1899 to 1902, winning a "national championship" in men's hockey basically meant winning more games than the other seven or eight schools sponsoring teams in any given year, even if the season was only six games long. Nobody but Yale gives any weight to those achievements, and they certainly don't make Yale "a great hockey program."
Well, we won it in 1911, and that's good enough for me.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 26, 2012 02:55PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Harvard's all-time in the NCAA Tournament is 12-22-1. Cornell's record is 17-19-0. I think that difference is sufficient to indicate that Cornell is a great program, especially in comparison to Harvard's success at the same level.

As much as I'd like to agree, a losing record -- even if it's in the national championship -- doesn't constitute a great program. The fact that we get there so often means we're a very good team nationally; but the fact we lose more than we win, once we're there, means we don't go past being very good.

Going by this, some other schools' win-loss records:
  • BU: 34-30-0
  • Michigan: 46-24-0
  • Minnesota: 50-35-0
  • NoDak: 40-18-0
  • Wisconsin: 34-19-2

I would say these schools have great programs. We're very good.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: June 26, 2012 05:20PM

Boy this is a lot of discussion on the heels of a "Harvard Sucks" joke.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 26, 2012 05:41PM

ugarte
Boy this is a lot of discussion on the heels of a "Harvard Sucks" joke.
My thoughts exactly. But then again, it is June.

Date: August 09, 2012 12:49AM

Kerfoot got his wish and is Harvard-bound.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login