Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Women's Hockey: Offseason

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Cornell Women's Hockey: Offseason
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 05:28PM

This seemed better than a monthly thread. ECAC reports that 4 players made Team Canada.

Forwards Rebecca Johnston and Brianne Jenner made the team, as did the defensive tandem of Laura Fortino and Lauriane Rougeau. The quartet is quite familiar with the national spotlight, as all four of them were on the national roster for the 4 Nations Cup in November.

Re: Cornell Women's Hockey: Offseason
Posted by: bnr24 (---.dhcp.drexel.edu)
Date: April 02, 2012 05:49PM

According to the Women's twitter, Coach Derraugh will be an assistant as well.

Date: April 02, 2012 05:57PM

bnr24
According to the Women's twitter, Coach Derraugh will be an assistant as well.

That's in the release as well.:-}

Date: April 02, 2012 06:04PM

Haha I read it earlier and they had missed it. :)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 10:44PM

bnr24
Haha I read it earlier and they had missed it. :)

Well then you should have posted it.:-D

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2012 12:24PM

Thanks for providing an example of the new embedded tweet feature ;)

Date: April 03, 2012 01:26PM

CowbellGuy
So that's the best you can do now, no +1.:`-(

Date: April 03, 2012 03:29PM

CowbellGuy
Haha, what can I say? You're welcome! :)

Date: April 11, 2012 11:05AM

Latest on CU at the Worlds.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.sri.com)
Date: April 11, 2012 04:43PM

Jim Hyla
Latest on CU at the Worlds.

14-1 score over Russia. Just to relate this back to the Title IX conversation, I would say that we (in the sense that several Canadian players are form US colleges) are doing something right with regard to promoting women's participation in ice hockey.

Date: April 14, 2012 01:27PM

Canada Advances to World Championship Thanks to Three Points From Cornell Players

Championship vs. USA 7 PM tonight. Live streaming via Universal Sports. Cost is $4.99. Also via Dish and Direct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 01:39PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: redbear_71 (184.70.85.---)
Date: April 14, 2012 02:23PM

This is going to be a classic ! Cant wait for the puck to drop

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 10:02PM

Jim Hyla
Canada Advances to World Championship Thanks to Three Points From Cornell Players

Championship vs. USA 7 PM tonight. Live streaming via Universal Sports. Cost is $4.99. Also via Dish and Direct.
Canada wins 5-4 in overtime. Congratulations to Rebecca, Laura, Lauriane and Brianne.

Date: April 15, 2012 07:57AM

jkahn
Jim Hyla

Canada wins 5-4 in overtime. Congratulations to Rebecca, Laura, Lauriane and Brianne.

The highlights are here. OT winner on a bad line change by USA.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 11:02AM

Jim Hyla
jkahn
Jim Hyla

The highlights are here. OT winner on a bad line change by USA.
That is a very restrained broadcast team.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2012 12:58PM

jkahn
Jim Hyla

Congrats also to Doug Derraugh. Fortino was named to the all-tournament team.

Photo gallery

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: April 17, 2012 12:45PM

Here's a nice piece on Rebecca Johnston, reflecting on her collegiate career and what's next.

[www.northernlife.ca]

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 18, 2012 12:31AM

Before Monday night's Rangers-Senators game there was a short ceremony honoring four members of the Canadian women's hockey team. I missed the introductions at the start so I don't know which players they were. Did anyone see if any of them were Cornellians?

Date: April 21, 2012 01:08PM

RichH
Here's a nice piece on Rebecca Johnston, reflecting on her collegiate career and what's next.

[www.northernlife.ca]

But this quote?
Rebecca Johnston
"When I was at Cornell, my first year, we had 10 people in the stands that were probably all parents. Mind you, we weren't that good.

"Now, in my last two years, we would get a couple of thousand fans to every game," she added.

So, for those who went to games, true?

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2012 05:02PM

Ten per game might be an exaggeration because a lot of Tompkins girls hockey player who were in the "Cub Club" would be there with their families. But if attendance topped 100 it would be a huge crowd. Remember, the year before Johnston hit campus, the team won 4 games or something woeful like that.

Attendance in the last 2 years has been at least 500 for most games. Especially if followed by a men's game or basketball. And "a couple of thousand" for several games, esp during the playoffs, which Cornell hosted, thanks to the team's success.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2012 09:57PM

dag14
Ten per game might be an exaggeration because a lot of Tompkins girls hockey player who were in the "Cub Club" would be there with their families. But if attendance topped 100 it would be a huge crowd. Remember, the year before Johnston hit campus, the team won 4 games or something woeful like that.

Attendance in the last 2 years has been at least 500 for most games. Especially if followed by a men's game or basketball. And "a couple of thousand" for several games, esp during the playoffs, which Cornell hosted, thanks to the team's success.

I think you're pretty much spot on. This year's team averaged 920 (good for 5th in the country), though skewed a bit by the playoffs.

[www.uscho.com]

Date: May 28, 2012 09:11PM

The latest version of the 2012-13 commitments list on the USCHO forum adds a goalie recruit for next season:

Cornell
Jessica Brown ..................F ..........................(Pittsburgh Elite) ........................Wellington, OH
Stefannie Moak ...............G ............................(Boston Pizza) ....................Middle Sackville, NS
Kelly Murray ....................D .......................(Edge Mountaineers) ....................Medicine Hat, AB
Victoria Pittens ................F ...........................(Whitby Wolves) .............................Whitby, ON
Cassandra Poudrier .........D ..........................(Dawson College) ................... Mount Laurier, QC
Morgan Richardson .........D ...................(CAN18s/Ottawa Senators) .......................Ottawa, ON
Anna Zorn ......................F ..................................(OHA) .................................Churchville, NY

Posted by: mattj711 (---.jentner.com)
Date: May 29, 2012 11:54AM

Weder
The latest version of the 2012-13 commitments list on the USCHO forum adds a goalie recruit for next season:

Cornell
Jessica Brown ..................F ..........................(Pittsburgh Elite) ........................Wellington, OH
Stefannie Moak ...............G ............................(Boston Pizza) ....................Middle Sackville, NS
Kelly Murray ....................D .......................(Edge Mountaineers) ....................Medicine Hat, AB
Victoria Pittens ................F ...........................(Whitby Wolves) .............................Whitby, ON
Cassandra Poudrier .........D ..........................(Dawson College) ................... Mount Laurier, QC
Morgan Richardson .........D ...................(CAN18s/Ottawa Senators) .......................Ottawa, ON
Anna Zorn ......................F ..................................(OHA) .................................Churchville, NY

Cornell has one more forward committed that was mentioned on USCHO, but was missed when updating the list.

Taylor Woods...............F.........................(CAN 18s/Balmoral Hall)........................Wilcox,SK

Posted by: Ben (158.143.161.---)
Date: May 29, 2012 01:15PM

I'm going to guess that Anna Zorn is related to Liz Zorn '10. Also good to see that we'll have a full complement of defensemen for next year.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.jentner.com)
Date: May 29, 2012 05:13PM

Correct. She is Liz's younger sister.

I saw a roster which had her height listed at 5'10" or "11. Hopefully, she has good speed and mobility to go along with it.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 29, 2012 08:47PM

Ben
I'm going to guess that Anna Zorn is related to Liz Zorn '10. Also good to see that we'll have a full complement of defensemen for next year.

And I'm going to guess that Taylor Woods is related to Tiger Woods. Let's hope she's as good as scoring as he is (using different senses of the word, of course).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2012 08:47PM by jtn27.

Date: May 31, 2012 01:12AM

jtn27
Ben

And I'm going to guess that Taylor Woods is related to Tiger Woods. Let's hope she's as good as scoring as he is (using different senses of the word, of course).

Wow. That is just inappropriate. The assumption that the Zorns are related makes sense as siblings attending Cornell is not unheard of (see: Johnston's sibling, the Overgaards, etc).

Date: May 31, 2012 11:34AM

bnr24
jtn27
Ben

Wow. That is just inappropriate. The assumption that the Zorns are related makes sense as siblings attending Cornell is not unheard of (see: Johnston's sibling, the Overgaards, etc).

Relax. It was just a joke. I know they're probably not related.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: May 31, 2012 11:38AM

jtn27
bnr24
jtn27
Ben

Please leave the jokes to ugarte.

Date: May 31, 2012 12:04PM

Chris '03
jtn27
bnr24
jtn27
Ben

I guess it was inappropriate. I apologize.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 01, 2012 03:25AM

jtn27
Chris '03
jtn27
bnr24
jtn27
Ben

I, for one,think it wasn't that bad.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2012 05:25AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
jtn27
Chris '03
jtn27
bnr24
jtn27
Ben

I cringed when I read it, and I have a pretty high tolerance (appreciation?) of tasteless humor. Plus there wasn't much deep thinking to make the joke. Ugarte's stuff is funny without going over the line. I've always wanted to see a battle of the comics where Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Rodney Dangerfield and Robin Williams are put onstage (hmm, realize I didn't think of any woman comics) and told, "Be funny. Anything you want. Just no cursing or sex jokes or drug humor." I think they all could be funny because they're good. Similarly, I'd like to see Bill Cosby do an R-rated show sometime.

Date: June 01, 2012 11:57AM

billhoward
Similarly, I'd like to see Bill Cosby do an R-rated show sometime.

Based on what Keenan Thompson said when he visited Cornell a few months ago about filming the Fat Albert movie with Cosby, Cosby would probably be very good at that type of show. He said that when the cameras were off Cosby was telling dirty jokes. I won't repeat them here because 1) I learned my lesson and 2) it was at least 10 times worse than what I wrote.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: June 01, 2012 02:22PM

jtn27
bnr24
jtn27
Ben

I don't think it was offensive, really, but I'd be hard pressed to call it a joke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 08:50PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2012 07:56PM

billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82
jtn27
Chris '03
jtn27
bnr24
jtn27
Ben

I cringed when I read it, and I have a pretty high tolerance (appreciation?) of tasteless humor. Plus there wasn't much deep thinking to make the joke. Ugarte's stuff is funny without going over the line. I've always wanted to see a battle of the comics where Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Rodney Dangerfield and Robin Williams are put onstage (hmm, realize I didn't think of any woman comics) and told, "Be funny. Anything you want. Just no cursing or sex jokes or drug humor." I think they all could be funny because they're good. Similarly, I'd like to see Bill Cosby do an R-rated show sometime.

I'm really surprised that someone with a "high tolerance" level" would cringe at this line. I would absolutely expect shock by low tolerance PC freaks. I know I don't rate on this site since I'm not one of the regulars, but it was just a damn joke, and not cringeworthy at all. I know we all have our own tolerance level, but does someone with a high level cringe at this, particularly since the statement was made about using different senses of the word? I laughed.... But what do I know, I just say what I feel.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2012 09:55AM

Two-thirds of women's hockey team named to ECAC All-Academic Team.

Date: July 20, 2012 07:04PM

Six Members of Cornell Earn Invite to Canada's Under-22 Development Camp

Here's the whole press release:

THACA, N.Y. – Six Big Red women's hockey players got great news on Tuesday as Hockey Canada released the roster for its 2012 Under-22 Development Team selection camp in Calgary in early August.

Rising senior Laura Fortino will be joined by rising juniors Brianne Jenner, Hayleigh Cudmore and Jessica Campbell as well as rising sophomores Jillian Saulnier and Emily Fulton.

Fortino and Jenner were both on the roster of Canada's bronze-medal-winning National Team last November at the 4 Nations Cup, and more recently won a gold medal for Canada at the 2012 IIHF World Championship.

Saulnier, Cudmore and Campbell also have experience playing under Canada's flag recently with the bronze medalist squad at the 2012 Meco Cup in Germany in January.

During the selection camp, Cornell's seven players will be part of a group of 40 that is split into two teams. These teams will scrimmage and practice against each other before 22 of them are chosen for a three-game series against the United States' Under-22 team from Aug. 14-19 in Calgary. After play has concluded, Hockey Canada will use what it sees at the camp to help make its selection for the 2013 Meco Cup in Germany.

Date: July 27, 2012 10:55AM

Official announcement of the freshman class. Four forwards, three defensemen and a goalie.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: July 27, 2012 04:36PM

Weder
Official announcement of the freshman class. Four forwards, three defensemen and a goalie.

They sound like some real talent. Lots of national team experience.

Date: August 03, 2012 09:03AM

Lauren Slebodnick invited to USA Hockey National Festival.

The full ECAC Women's schedule.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 09:05AM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2012 04:45PM

Women released their 2012-13 schedule today. I hope someone notices that both the men's and the women's teams have games scheduled at 7pm on Friday, October 26 at Lynah Rink, the women against Yale, the men against Colorado College.

Date: August 07, 2012 08:33PM

ACM
Women released their 2012-13 schedule today. I hope someone notices that both the men's and the women's teams have games scheduled at 7pm on Friday, October 26 at Lynah Rink, the women against Yale, the men against Colorado College.

It's a promotional thing. The fans will show up thinking they're going to a men's game, but instead it will be a women's game. They'll then see how good the women's team is and start going to more games.

(Also, why does my spellcheck say "men's" is not a word, but "women's" is?)

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: August 08, 2012 01:19PM

ACM

They're actually going to extend the rink to have four zones that meet in the center of the ice. Battle royale!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: August 08, 2012 01:37PM

French Rage
ACM

They're actually going to extend the rink to have four zones that meet in the center of the ice. Battle royale!

If the break-outs aren't sharp, there will be some really good collisions. :-P

Date: August 14, 2012 07:19AM

Some good news about the women and Under-22 teams.

Slebodnick Earns Spot on American U-22 Select Team

Six Women's Hockey Players Make Canadian Under-22 Team

And this is interesting.

Quinnipiac Submits Bid To Host 2014 NCAA Women's Ice Hockey Frozen Four

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2012 07:22AM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 14, 2012 02:01PM

"The only other ECAC Hockey school to have representatives on the U.S. U-22 team was Harvard. The Crimson are represented by five members of their team."

Is RPI no longer in ECAC Hockey? doh

Posted by: bnr24 (165.83.229.---)
Date: August 14, 2012 03:57PM

I noticed the exclusion of RPI...Given that they have as many players attending as we do, it doesn't quite make sense. Interesting that there are no CHA teams, only HEA and WCHA rounding out the remaining spots as well as two from the CWHL.

I would actually love if Quinnipiac hosted the 2014 Frozen Four. It would be nice given that the previous locations since they began in '01 include:
Minneapolis, Minnesota (2001, 2006, 2010, 2013) [WCHA]
Durham, NH (2002, 2005) [HEA]
Duluth, MN (2003, 2008, 2012) [WCHA]
Providence, RI (2004) [corporate arena used by Providence for basketball and the AHL for hockey]
Lake Placid, NY (2007) [enough said]
Boston, MA (2009) [HEA]
Erie, PA (2011) [Corporate arena used by OHL, indoor football, and NCA development league]

So it would be a new location. It would even out the number of times it is on our coast instead of in Minnesota. And it would be an ECAC venue for the first time since the NCAA DI tournament.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 10, 2012 05:00PM

Date: September 17, 2012 05:24PM

Women's Hockey Tabbed as 2012-13 League Favorite by Coaches; Three Named to Preseason All-League Team The CU website info and the ECAC press release on the rankings and on the preseason team.

For those who don't want to read it all,

the poll:
ECAC Hockey Women's Preseason Coaches' Poll
1.     Cornell (9 first-place votes), 119 points
2.     Harvard (3), 109 points
3.     St. Lawrence, 100 points
4.     Clarkson, 90 points
5.     Dartmouth, 86 points
6.     Quinnipiac, 71 points
7.     Princeton, 62 points
8.     Rensselaer, 46 points
9.     Brown, 40 points
10.   Colgate, 35 points
11.   Union, 22 points
12.   Yale, 12 points

and the team:
ECAC Hockey Women's Preseason All-League Team
G: Erica Howe, Clarkson
D: Laura Fortino, Cornell
D: Lauriane Rougeau, Cornell
F: Kelly Babstock, Quinnipiac
F: Jillian Dempsey, Harvard
F: Brianne Jenner, Cornell
And we're third in USCHO Preseason Poll.

USCHO.com Division I Women's Poll
September 17, 2012
	Team	(First Place Votes)	Record	Points	Last Poll
1	Minnesota	(15)	34- 5-2	150	NR
2	Wisconsin		33- 5-2	128	NR
3	Cornell		        30- 5-0	109	NR
4	Boston College		24-10-3	105	NR
5	North Dakota		22-12-3	93	NR
6	Boston University	23-14-1	67	NR
7	St. Lawrence		24-10-4	41	NR
8	Minnesota-Duluth	21-14-1	33	NR
9	Northeastern		22- 7-4	30	NR
10	Mercyhurst		23- 8-3	29	NR
Others receiving votes: Harvard 28, Clarkson 6, Providence 3, Quinnipiac 2, Robert Morris 1.

Read more: [www.uscho.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2012 05:45PM by Jim Hyla.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login