Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Frozen Four Pregame

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Frozen Four Pregame
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 10:37PM

Poll
Who Wins FF
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
61 votes were received.
Union 8

13%
Ferris 2

3%
Minny 6

10%
BC 45

74%

All I can say about BC is WOW. Let's hope Union wins 1, but unless BC plays poorly I can't see them losing.

Re: Frozen Four Pregame
Posted by: judy (---.wsh.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 10:53PM

I vote for the tesla coils to create lightning that strikes the ice to swallow the teams when BC plays Minnesota.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 11:05PM

judy
I vote for the tesla coils to create lightning that strikes the ice to swallow the teams when BC plays Minnesota.

Ywah, it'll be much more fun rooting for the Union/Ferris winner there for the first time ever rather than BC/Minnesota there for the billionth time.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 11:13PM

Who _will_ win or who do you want to win?

Will ugly rodents v. ugly birds be the 2nd game (I haven't looked for the schedule yet)? If the ice is going to be swallowed up, I would like to have Union-Ferris play before that happens.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 11:19PM

Rita
Will ugly rodents v. ugly birds be the 2nd game (I haven't looked for the schedule yet)? If the ice is going to be swallowed up, I would like to have Union-Ferris play before that happens.

Correct. Union-Ferris at 4:30, BC-Minnesota at 8:00.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 25, 2012 11:33PM

judy

So basically this, but on ice?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 07:54AM

In CHN's article on Union going to the FF, it states they don't give athletic scholarships, but "until a few short years ago, wasn't even able to give preferential financial aid to student-athletes". So what is preferential aid to athletes if it isn't athletic scholarships?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 08:10AM

While I hate to say it, the goofers are playing really well.

Date: March 26, 2012 09:08AM

Jim Hyla
In CHN's article on Union going to the FF, it states they don't give athletic scholarships, but "until a few short years ago, wasn't even able to give preferential financial aid to student-athletes". So what is preferential aid to athletes if it isn't athletic scholarships?

I'm pretty sure Cornell does this too. I believe what it means is that if the school has $20,000 left in financial aid and it determines that both an athlete and a regular student need $15,000 in need-based aid, the athlete might get $13,000 and the regular student $7,000. It's not a scholarship because an athlete with rich parents is ineligible for need-based aid. Or maybe it means the athlete gets a grant and the regular student gets a loan and/or work-study job. Of course, before you get into an uproar, just know that I could be totally off-base with this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 09:09AM by jtn27.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 09:15AM

jtn27
Jim Hyla

I'm pretty sure Cornell does this too. I believe what it means is that if the school has $20,000 left in financial aid and it determines that both an athlete and a regular student need $15,000 in need-based aid, the athlete might get $13,000 and the regular student $7,000. It's not a scholarship because an athlete with rich parents is ineligible for need-based aid. Or maybe it means the athlete gets a grant and the regular student gets a loan and/or work-study job. Of course, before you get into an uproar, just know that I could be totally off-base with this.
I think the dynamic is more subtle than this. Here's how I suspect it works:

Smart but not brilliant kid gets into Cornell, which offers $15k in aid. Not accepted to any other Ivy schools. Ends up with $15k in aid.

Brilliant kid gets into Cornell ($15k) and Harvard ($22k). Cornell matches $22k. Ends up going to Harvard anyway.

Hockey player gets into Cornell ($15k) and Brown ($22k). Cornell matches $22k. Student has self-respect, so goes to Cornell.

Of course I'm simplifying, but IMO the net result is athletic scholarships and outsized aid for high-profile athletes. But I got off the no-scholarship bandwagon a long time ago: I think big-money athletes should be paid ferchrissakes. I just wish Cornell and the rest of the Ivies would be honest about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 09:17AM by Kyle Rose.

Date: March 26, 2012 09:31AM

Kyle Rose
jtn27
Jim Hyla

Smart but not brilliant kid gets into Cornell, which offers $15k in aid. Not accepted to any other Ivy schools. Ends up with $15k in aid.

Brilliant kid gets into Cornell ($15k) and Harvard ($22k). Cornell matches $22k. Ends up going to Harvard anyway.

Hockey player gets into Cornell ($15k) and Brown ($22k). Cornell matches $22k. Student has self-respect, so goes to Cornell.

Of course I'm simplifying, but IMO the net result is athletic scholarships and outsized aid for high-profile athletes. But I got off the no-scholarship bandwagon a long time ago: I think big-money athletes should be paid ferchrissakes. I just wish Cornell and the rest of the Ivies would be honest about it.

According to this 2009 article from The Sun, "high priority enrollment" students receive grants instead of loans. I would imagine that Union does something similar.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: March 26, 2012 10:47AM

They are still playing the Frozen Four? WHY!?

Date: March 26, 2012 11:34AM

Kyle Rose
jtn27
Jim Hyla

As we know they will do this for any student, but I was really interested in what that really means at Union since it was specific athletic. Maybe I'll ask CHN.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 01:25PM

ugarte
It's just some really early Ice Breaker exhibition for the 2012-13 season.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 02:16PM

ugarte
This.

Posted by: bnr24 (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2012 04:42PM

jtn27
Kyle Rose
jtn27
Jim Hyla

According to this 2009 article from The Sun, "high priority enrollment" students receive grants instead of loans. I would imagine that Union does something similar.

"High-priority" students aren't necessarily just those who play hockey. The university highly values its economic diversity and as someone who got far more than 15 or 22k/year, I can guarantee you that my financial aid package was not because I'd gotten into another school where they matched it or because I play any sort of varsity sport.

Date: March 27, 2012 04:52PM

bnr24
jtn27
Kyle Rose
jtn27
Jim Hyla

"High-priority" students aren't necessarily just those who play hockey. The university highly values its economic diversity and as someone who got far more than 15 or 22k/year, I can guarantee you that my financial aid package was not because I'd gotten into another school where they matched it or because I play any sort of varsity sport.

That article I linked to does list several categories of students other than athletes considered high enrollment.

Date: March 27, 2012 10:10PM

jtn27
bnr24
jtn27
Kyle Rose
jtn27
Jim Hyla

That article I linked to does list several categories of students other than athletes considered high enrollment.
I remember the whole big to-do with financial aid packages when they'd changed the amount of financial aid wherein if you fall below a certain threshold all of your financial aid is in grants and not loans. The financial aid policy ended up having to do with matching what other institutions offer in aid as well, as I'm sure you know. I personally remember the difference in my aid package from my freshman year (07-08) to my sophomore year (08-09).

Also, the article you posted said this:

In terms of the new program’s adherence to the bylaws of the Ivy League, which regulates the athletic competition amongst the Ivies, states, “Athletes shall be admitted as students and awarded financial aid only on the basis of the same academic standards and economic need as are applied to all other students.”

Namely, Cornell is need-blind, to athletes as well.

Date: March 27, 2012 10:10PM

whoops! somehow I double-posted. :)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 10:12PM by bnr24.

Posted by: css228 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:35PM

bnr24
The coaches however, who send the list of athletes they hope to get likely letters, or do the recruiting, are not need blind.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 10:51PM by css228.

Date: March 27, 2012 10:45PM

css228
bnr24
The coaches however, who send the list of athletes they hope to get likely letters, or do the recruiting, are not need blind however.
That may be true, and hockey is not a cheap sport to play, but in order to get into Cornell, they still need to get into Cornell on their own merits and the university does its selections on a need-blind basis.

Date: March 27, 2012 10:54PM

bnr24
css228
bnr24
The coaches however, who send the list of athletes they hope to get likely letters, or do the recruiting, are not need blind however.
That may be true, and hockey is not a cheap sport to play, but in order to get into Cornell, they still need to get into Cornell on their own merits and the university does its selections on a need-blind basis.
The point I'm making is that if an athlete can get here on their own merits, the coaches can essentially target recruits in such a way that gives them unlimited partial and full scholarships (hockey isn't nearly as expensive in Canada). Let's just say of the people I know on the track team, the proportion of them on financial aid of some sort or another is far higher than the general student population.

Date: March 27, 2012 11:03PM

css228
bnr24
css228
bnr24
The point I'm making is that if an athlete can get here on their own merits, the coaches can essentially target recruits in such a way that gives them unlimited partial and full scholarships (hockey isn't nearly as expensive in Canada). Let's just say of the people I know on the track team, the proportion of them on financial aid of some sort or another is far higher than the general student population.
I definitely agree with that and know it's done. But the difference is, those kids can still retain their financial aid if they stop playing (not true of sports scholarships at institutions which award them).

But also, there is some point at which a coach is going to recruit based on talent and not solely based on whether they fall into a certain income bracket.

Date: March 27, 2012 11:19PM

bnr24
css228
bnr24
css228
bnr24
I definitely agree with that and know it's done. But the difference is, those kids can still retain their financial aid if they stop playing (not true of sports scholarships at institutions which award them).

But also, there is some point at which a coach is going to recruit based on talent and not solely based on whether they fall into a certain income bracket.
Definitely, but talent within a certain income bracket is definitely the gold standard for Ivy coaches

Date: March 27, 2012 11:20PM

css228
bnr24
css228
bnr24
css228
bnr24

Definitely, but talent within a certain income bracket is definitely the gold standard for Ivy coaches
Yes, but that doesn't say much for those who happen to be legacy sports families (a la the Moriartys of Harvard).

Date: March 27, 2012 11:26PM

bnr24
css228
bnr24
css228
bnr24
css228
bnr24

Yes, but that doesn't say much for those who happen to be legacy sports families (a la the Moriartys of Harvard).
New gold standard?

Posted by: bnr24 (64.134.99.---)
Date: March 28, 2012 10:40AM

css228
bnr24
css228
bnr24
css228
bnr24
css228
bnr24

New gold standard?
lol perhaps. Who knows? I mean, honestly, it drains the university less financially when people it admits don't have to get financial aid in the form of grants, so...maybe?

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-16.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2012 07:58AM

Urban folklore in the Capital District includes the young Jooris being ignored by the RPI coaching staff.

Like Father,..

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 29, 2012 11:56AM

Guess I can put this information in this thread for those going to Tampa and renting a car:

Gas in Florida has hit the $4 mark, and major cities like Miami and Tampa have a pricing differential for paying cash vs. using a credit/debit card. Often times the price listed on the station billboard is the "Cash only" price. If you are paying by credit card, expect to pay 10-15 cents more per gallon.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2012 10:41PM

Interesting drift.

Friday's Times Union

Date: March 30, 2012 10:56PM

marty
Interesting drift.

Friday's Times Union

"Union is ahead of us right now, absolutely," RPI coach Seth Appert said.

Read more: [www.timesunion.com]

You don't say.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2012 12:12AM

marty
Interesting drift.

Friday's Times Union

"We took a step backwards, and that can be expected," RPI athletic director Jim Knowlton said. "We are committed to making progress in the right direction..."

Date: April 01, 2012 07:45AM

I just realized each team won their regular season title.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2012 02:51PM

Jim Hyla
I just realized each team won their regular season title.
doh

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2012 08:26PM

Good to know that I don't have to clear my schedule on Thursday to watch some Union hockey because I will definitely be able to watch them play on Saturday. Why not assume victory? It worked so well for Michigan.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2012 08:30PM

You forgot to mock the boomstix. And the fact that they spelled it boomstix.

Date: April 02, 2012 12:42PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Good to know that I don't have to clear my schedule on Thursday to watch some Union hockey because I will definitely be able to watch them play on Saturday. Why not assume victory? It worked so well for Michigan.

That's not a boomstick. THIS is a boomstick.

Date: April 02, 2012 12:59PM

Josh '99

But they're not handing out "broomsticks." They're handing out "broomstix." It's different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 01:00PM by jtn27.

Date: April 02, 2012 02:24PM

jtn27
Josh '99

But they're not handing out "broomsticks." They're handing out "broomstix." It's different.
I don't think they're handing out broomsticks OR broomstix.

Date: April 02, 2012 03:04PM

Josh '99
jtn27
Josh '99

Hmmm... you appear to be right. I was wondering why they would hand out brooms at a televised showing of a hockey game. Although I still wonder why they would hand out boomstix at a televised showing of a hockey game.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: April 02, 2012 04:00PM

jtn27
Josh '99
jtn27
Josh '99

Hmmm... you appear to be right. I was wondering why they would hand out brooms at a televised showing of a hockey game. Although I still wonder why they would hand out boomstix at a televised showing of a hockey game ever.

FYP.

The rebranding of thunderstix doesn't make them any less lame.

Date: April 02, 2012 04:11PM

jtn27
Josh '99
jtn27
Josh '99

Hmmm... you appear to be right. I was wondering why they would hand out brooms at a televised showing of a hockey game. Although I still wonder why they would hand out boomstix at a televised showing of a hockey game.
I'm guessing the average Union hockey fan would spend hours trying to figure out one an index card with "How do you keep an idiot busy? (Answer on back)" written on both sides, so boomstix will probably amuse them for a week.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 04:22PM

Aaron M. Griffin

OK, to be fair it doesn't seem they considering it a given, they're just saying that the administration has a viewing area set aside as needed for both games. Maybe they could add an "if necessary", but that would be awkward for the school to say. Boomstix's are stupid too, and anyone who actually has an appetite during those games is a bad fan.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: April 02, 2012 05:16PM

RichH
jtn27
Josh '99
jtn27
Josh '99

Hmmm... you appear to be right. I was wondering why they would hand out brooms at a televised showing of a hockey game. Although I still wonder why they would hand out boomstix at a televised showing of a hockey game ever.

FYP.

I'm not going to dispute that boom/thunderstix are lame but I at least understand why they're handed out at a stadium/rink for a live event. They're noise makers and stadiums are supposed to be loud. The theory (true or not) is that the noise helps provide a home-field advantage. But to bang them while watching television is just dumb. They will have absolutely no effect on the game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 05:17PM by jtn27.

Date: April 02, 2012 05:21PM

jtn27
RichH
jtn27
Josh '99
jtn27
Josh '99

FYP.

I'm not going to dispute that boom/thunderstix are lame but I at least understand why they're handed out at a stadium/rink for a live event. They're noise makers and stadiums are supposed to be loud. The theory (true or not) is that the noise helps provide a home-field advantage. But to bang them while watching television is just dumb. They will have absolutely no effect on the game.

The only effect they ever have on me during a game is kill or leave.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 06:01PM

The Albany Times Union has been covering Union hockey with a vengeance. This article from today's paper raises the off-season question "How does one best donate to support Cornell hockey recruiting?"

Kevin Sneddon
While Union remains non-scholarship, Sneddon now sees a different level of commitment under school president Stephen Ainlay as the hockey program's recruiting budget has grown with help from booster contributions.
"I think (the recruiting budget) is probably larger than ours here at UVM, in all honesty," Sneddon said. "That's the kind of support that they've been able to muster there."

The article is also interesting here:
Nate Leaman
Leaman said he's debating whether he wants to go to Tampa for the Frozen Four because he wants the focus to stay on first-year Union coach Rick Bennett, a former Leaman assistant, and the current players.
"I may go down and try to stay real behind the scenes and kind of quietly cheer on the Dutchmen," Leaman said.

Times Union - Leaman and Sneddon

Credit the Shrink
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 06:04PM by marty.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: April 02, 2012 07:04PM

Jim Hyla
jtn27
RichH
jtn27
Josh '99
jtn27
Josh '99

FYP.

The only effect they ever have on me during a game is kill or leave.

They're Union fans. They don't need any extra help being annoying. Why tolerate giving them broom/boom/thunder-sticks/stix?

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: April 02, 2012 07:09PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Why tolerate giving them broom/boom/thunder-sticks/stix?

Wouldn't it be great if they actually were giving out broomsticks and I didn't misread that? That would be hilarious.

Date: April 02, 2012 07:18PM

jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Wouldn't it be great if they actually were giving out broomsticks and I didn't misread that? That would be hilarious.

That would be funny. The only time a broom belongs in a hockey rink is at the end of a weekend sweep though.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 07:31PM

Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

That would be funny. The only time a broom belongs in a hockey rink is at the end of a weekend sweep though.
Or when its been converted for a weekend curling tournament.

Date: April 02, 2012 07:38PM

css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

But, if Cornell creates a men's curling team, would we have to finance a women's program with the revenue that the men's program accrues?

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: bnr24 (---.dhcp.drexel.edu)
Date: April 02, 2012 07:49PM

Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

But, if Cornell creates a men's curling team, would we have to finance a women's program with the revenue that the men's program accrues?
Silly. When would curling EVER have revenue. They'd let us in to that for free.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 07:54PM

bnr24
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

You're telling me Lynah won't sell out for shuffleboard on ice?

Posted by: bnr24 (---.dhcp.drexel.edu)
Date: April 02, 2012 08:00PM

css228
bnr24
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

Good point. Maybe it'll bring in more revenue than men's hockey.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: April 02, 2012 09:52PM

css228
bnr24
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

I'd definitely watch that.

But then I'm probably the only person here who watches cricket, so.....

Date: April 02, 2012 10:40PM

Ben
css228
bnr24
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

You watch crickets? Do you watch grasshoppers too?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2012 10:51PM

Ben
css228
bnr24
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

This thread is the true litmus test to see how often jtwcornell91 actually checks this forum these days...

Date: April 02, 2012 11:14PM

Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

Well, the Cornell Curling Club was co-ed and was a club sport, of course. If memory serves, it existed from 2003-06 or so, and received SAFC funding. I believe we looked into getting any of the Ithaca-area rinks to allow club use with no luck, so the club had to travel to Utica for practices, and went to a few Bonspiels, including the national tournament.

[sao.cornell.edu]

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: April 02, 2012 11:17PM

jtn27
Ben

Joe, you need to come up with some new material.

Date: April 02, 2012 11:20PM

RichH
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

Well, the Cornell Curling Club was co-ed and was a club sport, of course. If memory serves, it existed from 2003-06 or so, and received SAFC funding. I believe we looked into getting any of the Ithaca-area rinks to allow club use with no luck, so the club had to travel to Utica for practices, and went to a few Bonspiels, including the national tournament.

[sao.cornell.edu]

Nice acronym they had while they lasted.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: April 02, 2012 11:22PM

Aaron M. Griffin
RichH
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

[sao.cornell.edu]

Yeah, made for a nice sweatshirt theme, too.

Date: April 02, 2012 11:30PM

RichH
Aaron M. Griffin
RichH
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

[sao.cornell.edu]

Yeah, made for a nice sweatshirt theme, too.

The cycling club did too when I was on the The Hill. We used the same acronym for some event. The better Red than dead motto was used with images of Marx, Lenin, Trotsky, and Stalin. If I recall correctly (I don't have the shirt with me), they were Photoshopped to look like they were all at a drinking party with bikes in the background.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: April 03, 2012 07:49AM

After linking on to an article via CHN, I found that the Tampa Bay Times, and why isn't it THE Tampa Bay Times, has been having a nice set of articles on the FF. Here's a link to what they have so far. It includes an article about some NHL players, such as Marty St. Louis and Marty Turco, who have been in the FF.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2012 09:10AM

RichH
Ben
css228
bnr24
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

This thread is the true litmus test to see how often jtwcornell91 actually checks this forum these days...

Clearly I don't post often enough about cricket or Swiss ice hockey for people to remember me...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 03, 2012 09:27AM

Jim Hyla
After linking on to an article via CHN, I found that the Tampa Bay Times, and why isn't it THE Tampa Bay Times, has been having a nice set of articles on the FF. Here's a link to what they have so far. It includes an article about some NHL players, such as Marty St. Louis and Marty Turco, who have been in the FF.

Why are you posting about the Frozen Four here? This is the boomstix/curling/cycling/funny t-shirts thread.

Date: April 03, 2012 11:10AM

jtn27
Jim Hyla

Why are you posting about the Frozen Four here? This is the boomstix/curling/cycling/funny t-shirts thread.

He did mention Tampa Bay. And that has no association with hockey.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: April 03, 2012 12:03PM

marty
The Albany Times Union has been covering Union hockey with a vengeance. This article from today's paper raises the off-season question "How does one best donate to support Cornell hockey recruiting?"

Kevin Sneddon
While Union remains non-scholarship, Sneddon now sees a different level of commitment under school president Stephen Ainlay as the hockey program's recruiting budget has grown with help from booster contributions.
"I think (the recruiting budget) is probably larger than ours here at UVM, in all honesty," Sneddon said. "That's the kind of support that they've been able to muster there."

The article is also interesting here:
Nate Leaman
Leaman said he's debating whether he wants to go to Tampa for the Frozen Four because he wants the focus to stay on first-year Union coach Rick Bennett, a former Leaman assistant, and the current players.
"I may go down and try to stay real behind the scenes and kind of quietly cheer on the Dutchmen," Leaman said.

Times Union - Leaman and Sneddon

Credit the Shrink

From the Credit the Shrink article:

Bzdell, 42, attends every Union home game and postseason game. He even comes into the locker room between periods. He rarely speaks, but his mere presence is a reminder of his core message: "Stick with the process."

Good thing the Union team motto isn't "stick with the system" otherwise we would have to sue them for copyright infringment or something like that. :-P

Date: April 03, 2012 12:26PM

Rita
Good thing the Union team motto isn't "stick with the system" otherwise we would have to sue them for copyright infringment or something like that. :-P

Well...if you really want to know, it would be patent infringement because it's a process or method. :-)

Also, Schafer has a history of referring to it as "The Process" too. We might still have a claim.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 12:39PM by Aaron M. Griffin.

Date: April 03, 2012 12:43PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Rita

Well...if you really want to know, it would be patent infringement because it's a process or method. :-)

Also, Schafer has a history of referring to it as "The Process" too. We might still have a claim.
Since opportunities to comment about something within my field come up pretty infrequently, I'd like to note that a hockey strategy, whether you call it a process or a system, is not likely to be statutory subject matter.

Date: April 03, 2012 12:50PM

Josh '99
Aaron M. Griffin
Rita

Since opportunities to comment about something within my field come up pretty infrequently, I'd like to note that a hockey strategy, whether you call it a process or a system, is not likely to be statutory subject matter.

I would rely upon trade secret law rather than patent law were I trying to protect the advantage of a sporting strategy. (Of course, we know that this is largely tongue-in-cheek musings).

I just wanted to point out that a process/method/system would be subject to federal patent law, not copyright law.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: April 03, 2012 01:00PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Josh '99
Aaron M. Griffin
Rita

I would rely upon trade secret law rather than patent law were I trying to protect the advantage of a sporting strategy. (Of course, we know that this is largely tongue-in-cheek musings).

I just wanted to point out that a process/method/system would be subject to federal patent law, not copyright law.

Yes, my tongue was firmly planted in cheek. Because when we have outstanding goalies and defense, it is almost always due to The System.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: April 03, 2012 01:51PM

Ben
jtn27
Ben

Yes, this is really bugging me. Can you please insect some new material. It doesn't have to bee expensive,locust is fine.

Posted by: Swampy (---.219.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: April 03, 2012 03:30PM

Aaron M. Griffin
RichH
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

Well played.

[sao.cornell.edu]

The Curling Club or the Soviet Union?

Date: April 03, 2012 03:54PM

Ben
jtn27
Ben

Ben, I promise to come up with new ways to make fun of the things you like.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2012 06:27PM

Sorry to drift to hockey for a moment, but have the All-Americans been announced yet?

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 03, 2012 07:00PM

Trotsky
Sorry to drift to hockey for a moment, but have the All-Americans been announced yet?

Last year, All-Americans were announced just prior to the awards ceremony for the Humanitarian Award and the Hobey Baker Award, which was the day between the Semi & the Final. No reason to think it will be different this year. This is the source: [www.ahcahockey.com]

Date: April 03, 2012 09:48PM

From USCHO, sorry Adam, is this a neat picture or what?

Date: April 04, 2012 07:34AM

Interesting quotes from the Tampa Bay Times continuing series on the FF. I have to say this seems like the most extensive series of articles by a local paper that I'm ever seen before a FF. Does anyne else remember another?

After talking about Union's Shayne Gostisbehere who is a Florida native, they go on:

Seventeen Floridians played Division I hockey this season. Brian Ferlin, a Jacksonville native who plays for Cornell, was the only other one to appear in the NCAA Tournament. Ferris State eliminated fourth-seeded Cornell, 2-1, in the Midwest region final.

We only wish.

Another measurement sets the pairings apart. There are 26 NHL draft picks on the rosters of the Eagles and Golden Gophers. There are none from Union or Ferris State.

If you haven't looked at their series you should, they started publishing articles 3/19, and they are all neatly indexed.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2012 10:39AM

Piece from a Wall Street Journal writer who, as a student, campaigned against the elevation of Union's program to Division I status:
[online.wsj.com]

Posted by: nyc94 (---.sub-174-252-1.myvzw.com)
Date: April 05, 2012 05:11PM

Ferris 0 Union 0 after 1

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 06:00PM

Union leading 1-0 late in the second.

Ouch, ugly Union turnover right in front of Grosenick, 1-1.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 06:01PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 05, 2012 06:54PM

Ferris takes the late lead, 2-1

edit: Ferris adds an empty net goal with 54.8 seconds left, 3-1

edit: 3-1 Final
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 07:08PM by nyc94.

Posted by: trainbow (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 07:07PM

3-1 Ferris State after an ENG

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 05, 2012 07:07PM

Good season, Onion. Solid showing tonight.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2012 07:29PM

Well Barry was right.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 07:45PM

Jordan 04
Good season, Onion. Solid showing tonight.

Yep, didn't embarrass the league, and that's important.

Best season collectively for the current ECAC teams since 1990, and for the league, whatever the membership, since 1997.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2012 08:28PM

1-0 BC

Posted by: RichH (---.att-inc.com)
Date: April 07, 2012 03:14AM

Trotsky

[www.ahcahockey.com]

Union leads the way nationally with 3 A-A selections. You don't want to know the only school with more than one 1st Team selections. ECAC & WCHA tie with seven All-Americans.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2012 12:00PM

RichH
Trotsky

[www.ahcahockey.com]

Union leads the way nationally with 3 A-A selections. You don't want to know the only school with more than one 1st Team selections. ECAC & WCHA tie with seven All-Americans.

I find this list to be offensive. 2 Hahvahd players on the 1st team and no Cornell players on either team? I demand a recount.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2012 09:20PM

jtn27
RichH
Trotsky

[www.ahcahockey.com]

I find this list to be offensive. 2 Hahvahd players on the 1st team and no Cornell players on either team? I demand a recount.
Cornell is a team. Harvard, like BU, is a bridge.

Date: April 08, 2012 07:34AM

Two articles on the BC plan. First from CHN and the second from USCHO. So how come York has only won one National Coach of the Year, and that when he was at Clakson? Who wouldn't take him as their coach?

And this from INCH, make Tampa the permanent FF host.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2012 07:39AM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 08, 2012 10:13AM

Jim Hyla
It's impossible to get cheap plane tickets to Florida during April. Don't know why, although I can speculate; it just is what it is.

Posted by: RichH (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2012 04:17PM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
It's impossible to get cheap plane tickets to Florida during April. Don't know why, although I can speculate; it just is what it is.

After looking all fall at prices not less than $500 roundtrip, I lucked out when Southwest dropped their fares in February to $120 each way. I'm sure they were back to being sky-high for the past two weeks in time for the "we're going if our team makes it" club. Airline fare games are so maddening.

Date: April 08, 2012 05:40PM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla

Northeast childrens school break?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login