Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Season Review

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Season Review
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-174-252-43.myvzw.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 12:27AM

Wanted to carry on this discussion on a non-losing thread. I'm going to bed, but will just say "Thank you seniors." You took us further than I thought we'd get. Good night for now.

Re: Season Review
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 12:50AM

Cross-posting myself:

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this season, considering where I felt we were at the beginning. Collins really poured it on over the last couple of months, and it was nice to see him end his career on an up note. Iles has finally impressed me, so I'm bullish on two more years of him. And our freshmen and sophomores (esp. Mowrey and Gotovets for the latter) really started to stand out as the season went on.

I look forward to watching Ryan, Ferlin, McCarron, and Lowry continue to develop next year, and I expect standout seasons from Esposito, Miller, and D'Agostino. (Boy am I glad that John McCarron is our a**hole. Ferlin may be electric, but McCarron makes me smile in that other, special way.) My dark horse candidate for a breakout season--the likely recipient of the Mike Iggulden Difference Maker Award--is Mihalek, who impressed me in a Carefoot/Iggulden way this season.

Without Ferlin's injury or without Esposito's long absence, the season might have turned out differently. As it is, the team gained a lot of experience, which is exactly what a young team needs.

I'll be in Pittsburgh next year, and I won't be shocked to be watching us there.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.sub-174-253-19.myvzw.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 01:07AM

Great way to end my senior year season. I was kind of upset initially after the loss, but now have realized there is nothing to be disappointed about or ashamed of.

Hope to see all of you at future games as an alumnus. Thank you for these unforgettable years.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 03:43AM by ajh258.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: March 25, 2012 01:15AM

ajh258
Great way to end my senior year season. I was kind of upset initially after the loss, but now have realized there is nothing to be disappointed about or ashamed of.

Hope to see all of you at future games as an alumnus. Thanks you for these unforgettable years.
And thank you, Rob, Mark, and all of the other Cornellians who were there last night -- I heard you, 3900 miles and an ocean away. Always proud, always Faithful.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.sub-174-253-19.myvzw.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 01:32AM

Ben
ajh258

Hope to see all of you at future games as an alumnus. Thanks you for these unforgettable years.
And thank you, Rob, Mark, and all of the other Cornellians who were there last night -- I heard you, 3900 miles and an ocean away. Always proud, always Faithful.
Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Posted by: jkahn (107.17.239.---)
Date: March 25, 2012 09:10AM

ajh258

Hope to see all of you at future games as an alumnus. Thank you for these unforgettable years.
Andrew - I hope you're still doing this 42 years after graduation like me - it'll keep you feeling young.
Good speaking with you last night, As for the disappointment, I feel bad for the team and their parents who were there - it's always tough at the end and ultimately there's only one winner. I'm damn proud of the effort they gave this weekend.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 09:56AM

jkahn
ajh258

Andrew - I hope you're still doing this 42 years after graduation like me - it'll keep you feeling young.
Good speaking with you last night, As for the disappointment, I feel bad for the team and their parents who were there - it's always tough at the end and ultimately there's only one winner. I'm damn proud of the effort they gave this weekend.
I will keep doing this 420 years after graduation. It was great seeing you too at Green Bay and I hope to see you and others at Pittsburg next April.

Posted by: captens1 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 10:21AM

For this now-Coloradan, it was a pleasure to see our Big Red live in the Springs this year, a Saturday game where they totally outclassed the (then highly ranked) local boys. Come back soon (preferably to visit DU). And seeing them beat Michigan was wonderful.

Thanks, seniors, for four years of quality Cornell hockey, and for the underclassmen, we look forward to 2012-2013. Let's go Red!

Tom H, BS '85, Ph.D. '97

PS: Our new car (Prius C, 50+ mpg's), in "Carnelian Red" I like to think.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 11:45AM

Jim Hyla
Wanted to carry on this discussion on a non-losing thread. I'm going to bed, but will just say "Thank you seniors." You took us further than I thought we'd get. Good night for now.

I echo this and want to add that this was a fun season. Thank you to the whole team for the effort this weekend.

The loss last night though frustrating was not a horrible way to go out and the team will be as much fun next year. They are the Big Red ... that keeps me from hibernating through the winter. One hope for a big change next year is that I will attend the ECAC Tournament, which I pledge to do as long as it leaves the Miss America convention center. Goodbye to Texas Hold-Em, one armed bandits and the ghost of Bert Parks.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 12:29PM

ajh258
jkahn
ajh258

I will keep doing this 420 years after graduation. It was great seeing you too at Green Bay and I hope to see you and others at Pittsburg next April.
Stick with the 420 and you'll forget to watch the games. (I'm kidding! IT'S TOTALLY HARMLESS!)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 01:48PM

If you'd asked me last weekend I'd be coming from a bad place after the loss to Sucks. But I'm glad we had another weekend of hockey to put things right. Our boys redeemed themselves this weekend and did us and themselves proud.

I'm looking forward to seeing this team healthy and more experienced next year. They're going to be dangerous. And thanks to the seniors for their leadership this year.

Now on to lax season. LGR!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 01:55PM

The Michigan game ranks right up among the greatest CU hockey sagas.

Senior players: good luck to you all in your careers and family lives, and thank you so much for all the dedication and fortitude you showed throughout your years on the hill. :)

Senior fans: thank you and your class for holding the torch and passing it along. See you next year in the Alumni Senility Waiting Room. ;)

Re: Season Review and a modest proposal
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 01:56PM

The team came a long way this season and ended when they ran into a team that seems to be even more solid defensively in their own zone.

One thing that annoys me slightly is announcers and writers running on about how disappointing it was for this team or that to have their seasons end with a loss. Come on! There really aren't many choices. To first approximation every team's season ends with a loss. It's called a tournament. Only one team is going to end with win. (I'm ignoring the winner of the league tournament consolation game (if any) who doesn't get invited to the NCAA tournament and the doormats who end the regular season with a win but don't get into their league tournament.)

I see one solution that would allow almost every athlete's season end with a win. Instead of a tournament to determine the "best" team, have a tournament to determine the worst team. Everyone is in. When you win, you are out and your season ends on a high note. When you lose, you progress. Eventually, only one team in the entire country ends the season with a loss. And, to improve the situation, there would be no overtime in the final game so it would be allowed to end in a tie and no team would end with a loss.

There is at least a little bit of negative feedback in the system, too. The college bowl system has positive feedback, in that the teams that are invited to bowl games get an extra month of practice, making them better for the next year. With my tournament, the worse you are, the more weeks of practice you get. It doesn't help the seniors, but the rest of the team has even more chance to come together.

P.S. I can't find a smiley that succinctly expresses how far from serious I am.

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 02:16PM

Trotsky

Senior players: good luck to you all in your careers and family lives, and thank you so much for all the dedication and fortitude you showed throughout your years on the hill. :)

Senior fans: thank you and your class for holding the torch and passing it along. See you next year in the Alumni Senility Waiting Room. ;)
Agreed. It'd be great if someone could cut up and preserve the highlight footage of that game. If people are willing to cut up the videos, I'll be glad to aggregate them into one easy YouTube page to find all the great Cornell Hockey moments/all Cornell Hockey moments people are willing to put on YouTube
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 02:18PM by css228.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 02:22PM

css228
Trotsky

Agreed. It'd be great if someone could cut up and preserve the highlight footage of that game. If people are willing to cut up the videos, I'll be glad to aggregate them into one easy YouTube page to find all the great Cornell Hockey moments/all Cornell Hockey moments people are willing to put on YouTube

I will be sure that I take such aggregation, set it to a catchy soundtrack, and arrange it in an inspiring motivational video for next season. :)

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 02:24PM

Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Trotsky

I will be sure that I take such aggregation, set it to a catchy soundtrack, and arrange it in an inspiring motivational video for next season. :)
Anything to make those great videos easier for you Aaron!

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 02:31PM

captens1
For this now-Coloradan, it was a pleasure to see our Big Red live in the Springs this year, a Saturday game where they totally outclassed the (then highly ranked) local boys. Come back soon (preferably to visit DU). And seeing them beat Michigan was wonderful.

Thanks, seniors, for four years of quality Cornell hockey, and for the underclassmen, we look forward to 2012-2013. Let's go Red!

Tom H, BS '85, Ph.D. '97

PS: Our new car (Prius C, 50+ mpg's), in "Carnelian Red" I like to think.

Looks more like Harkness Red than Carnelian but it fits the Red we know and love as most of us (or all of us?) are from after the change.

And I found an example to illustrate the change which may be less than accurate, but once I found it I fell in love.....

I own a vintage red C that is the shade next to the mascot here and which is I think true Carnelian":

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 02:44PM by marty.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 02:33PM

Trotsky
See you next year in the Alumni Senility Waiting Room. ;)

When I was a student, the campus was all orange groves.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 03:44PM

Outstanding. Great, Davebanana

Posted by: css228 (---.sub-174-255-212.myvzw.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 05:01PM

I have started the archive page on YouTube. I have prelims this week so it'll be pretty incomplete for a while, but I plan on having a pretty good collection of videos as soon as possible. Until then enjoy!
Cornell Hockey Archive

Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 05:45PM

If you follow the players on Facebook/Twitter, it's pretty apparent that they're buying into the Big Red tradition and really appreciate Cornell hockey's history and following. While they are bummed out over the loss, all of them have posted about how great their run has been and seem more proud than upset, as they should be. Most of all, they are very sad to have to say goodbye to the seniors.

Two thankful seniors:
[twitter.com]
[twitter.com]

Two thankful underclassmen:
[twitter.com]
[twitter.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 05:50PM by BearLover.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 06:28PM

David Harding
One thing that annoys me slightly is announcers and writers running on about how disappointing it was for this team or that to have their seasons end with a loss. Come on! There really aren't many choices.

P.S. I can't find a smiley that succinctly expresses how far from serious I am.
There are more choices in announcers than in season outcomes. Our two announcers have probably never been more than 100 miles from Grand Rapids in their lives other than that big choice in whether to drive up and over and down and under the lake to get to Green Bay.

There's a smiley down below for everything other than a royal funeral.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 07:04PM

French Rage
Trotsky
See you next year in the Alumni Senility Waiting Room. ;)

When I was a student, the campus was all orange groves.

I believe you're referring to a certain university on the left coast!! Either that, or I have forgotten the orange groves on the hill in my youth! LGR - next year will be here before we know it!rolleyes

Posted by: sockralex (170.202.22.---)
Date: March 26, 2012 09:06AM

A great season for a relatively young team. The upperclassmen were strong, but I cannot recall a team with so much potential. The results of the season really reflect the youth and when put in perspective, underscore how successful this team was.

A resounding win at Yale at the start of the season straddled by two disappointing losses embodied the rollercoaster that was to come. A heartbreaker at MSG and a loss to UMass in Estero followed by a performance at Colorado College that gave hope for the rest of the season. A tough ECAC winless stretch that made us question if we have a full 60 minutes of hockey in us. A must-win against Union to compete for league title achieved only to be squandered the next night at the hands of a lesser team. Two hard-fought battles in the playoffs only to be embarrassed by our biggest rival in Atlantic City. Locking an NCAA bid with a win against Colgate - a team with nothing to play for - was reassuring, but the fear of drawing Michigan rasing doubt as to which Cornell team will show up on the national stage. Finally, the win against a better Michigan team showing our potential only to be followed by a loss the against a well-deserving, but less intimidating Ferris State exposing our youth.

What a rollercoaster ride! Great season. Thank you seniors and here's to an even better 2012-2013!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 10:04AM

sockralex
A great season for a relatively young team. The upperclassmen were strong, but I cannot recall a team with so much potential.

That's the great feeling that we're left with. Not only did we watch some very exciting (not always in a good way :-} ) hockey, but we have a huge returning percentage, dominated by the freshmen-->sophomore maturation which tends to be the most significant of the three in-team transitions.

And there's already evidence of improvement, Lowry always had skills but he was playing well within the system by the end. Mowrey came out of nowhere to become a significant force. Craig showed how he can be used: plant that 6-5 oak tree in the goalie's way. Axel-Mihalek is a solid containment line.

The younger guys got in trouble in the middle of the year by trying to win with individual bursts of skills and force, things which always served them well before at lower levels when they were so much better than their peers. In a flatter league, playing as a team is how you win. By the end of the year they'd learned that eternal lesson, and that's something they won't have to relearn.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 10:13AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: March 26, 2012 11:13AM

I had to remind myself several times yesterday how fortunate I am to follow a team that delivers this kind of hurt as often as it does. Big thanks to this team for the effort this season and for exceeding my expectations. Beyond all the ups and downs, I'm most proud that they found ways to win against several opponents that I felt were more talented. All I wanted out of this postseason was for them to gain valuable NCAA experience. Instead, they got me dreaming again.

And now, one of my favorite off-season feelings is back...that feeling that your team is at the beginning of an upswing. Really excited for next season.

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 11:43AM

RichH
I had to remind myself several times yesterday how fortunate I am to follow a team that delivers this kind of hurt as often as it does. Big thanks to this team for the effort this season and for exceeding my expectations. Beyond all the ups and downs, I'm most proud that they found ways to win against several opponents that I felt were more talented. All I wanted out of this postseason was for them to gain valuable NCAA experience. Instead, they got me dreaming again.

And now, one of my favorite off-season feelings is back...that feeling that your team is at the beginning of an upswing. Really excited for next season.

Let's just hope for no early signings. Also, does anyone know much about the incoming freshmen and how they might fit in?

Posted by: heykb (216.87.106.---)
Date: March 26, 2012 04:17PM

My reaction to the season is that the team has raised the bar on what success will be next year.

I expect the team to work on being more consistent. I do not expect to see very many outings like the flat effort against Harvard in AC.

Date: March 27, 2012 02:29PM

underskill
RichH

Let's just hope for no early signings. Also, does anyone know much about the incoming freshmen and how they might fit in?
Here's the list.

Big Red Puckhead does a great job of introducing the players as they commit. Seems like a balance between finesse players (Knisley, Tiitenen), monsters (Hilbrich, Stoick), and a mix of both (Willcox, Sade unless he has deferred)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 02:31PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 27, 2012 02:46PM

RichH
that feeling that your team is at the beginning of an upswing.
That is a really, really good feeling, and it's going to be great savoring it all summer. Not only has the team as a whole taken big strides, but they are being led by this freshman class. There was a similar feeling in the Summer of 2007 (Greening, Gallagher, B. Nash had just completed their freshman year along with, ahem, a couple guys we won't mention, Riley Nash was incoming as the most heralded prospect since... maybe ever), the Spring of 2000 (after a three year absence we were on our way back to Lake Placid; Murray, Bâby and the McRaes were knocking everybody over as freshmen), and of course the Fall of 1995 (the Return of Schafer, breaking the streak at Fish and Fowl, and all the excitement as the program was accelerating from zero to 60).

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2012 03:32PM

Trotsky
Here's the list.

The height and weight you have for Patrick McCarron might have been correct at some point in his life, but is decidedly no longer accurate ;)

Posted by: rdez79 (50.28.129.---)
Date: March 27, 2012 03:59PM

Will Hudon be back?

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 27, 2012 04:14PM

rdez79
Will Hudon be back?

He can't be. He went MJ.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 27, 2012 05:00PM

CowbellGuy
Trotsky
Here's the list.

The height and weight you have for Patrick McCarron might have been correct at some point in his life, but is decidedly no longer accurate ;)

McCarron is from Etobicoke. I didn't know that was a real place. I just thought that was the Lynah Rink scoreboard's way of grossly misspelling Princeton (at least I think it was Princeton).

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 27, 2012 05:45PM

Trotsky
RichH
That is a really, really good feeling, and it's going to be great savoring it all summer. Not only has the team as a whole taken big strides, but they are being led by this freshman class. There was a similar feeling in the Summer of 2007 (Greening, Gallagher, B. Nash had just completed their freshman year along with, ahem, a couple guys we won't mention, Riley Nash was incoming as the most heralded prospect since... maybe ever), the Spring of 2000 (after a three year absence we were on our way back to Lake Placid; Murray, Bâby and the McRaes were knocking everybody over as freshmen), and of course the Fall of 1995 (the Return of Schafer, breaking the streak at Fish and Fowl, and all the excitement as the program was accelerating from zero to 60).
Yep. More than that we all ought to be greatful just how good this team is now, at the start of what we hope is an upswing. It's pretty nice when your starting point is a tournament team that is one period away from making the Frozen Four.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: March 27, 2012 09:31PM

jtn27
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
Here's the list.

McCarron is from Etobicoke. I didn't know that was a real place. I just thought that was the Lynah Rink scoreboard's way of grossly misspelling Princeton (at least I think it was Princeton).

Yeah, it's a real place. In fact, a well-known politician and Cornell alum came from that place with the strange name. laugh

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2012 07:17AM

Swampy
jtn27
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
Here's the list.

Yeah, it's a real place. In fact, a well-known politician and Cornell alum came from that place with the strange name. laugh

I've eaten meatballs there. Apparently the 'k' is silent.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 28, 2012 08:52AM

CowbellGuy
Trotsky
Here's the list.

Thanks. He's now listed as 6-1 171... just a 31 pound difference. :)

Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: March 28, 2012 09:05AM

Trotsky
RichH
One thing I'm hoping to see as an early sign from the team is an uptick in their physical fitness. I remember the 2003 team came back in the best shape of their lives. And it showed results on the ice. Perhaps this might help the team re-earn the title of "dream-crushing soul-devouring juggernauts".

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-213-144.myvzw.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 09:32AM

KenP
Trotsky
RichH
One thing I'm hoping to see as an early sign from the team is an uptick in their physical fitness. I remember the 2003 team came back in the best shape of their lives. And it showed results on the ice. Perhaps this might help the team re-earn the title of "dream-crushing soul-devouring juggernauts".

Yes, as I recall hearing, that team stayed on campus for most of the 2002 summer working out & preparing for a title run. Now, that's commitment!!

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 28, 2012 10:42AM

redice
KenP
Trotsky
RichH

Yes, as I recall hearing, that team stayed on campus for most of the 2002 summer working out & preparing for a title run. Now, that's commitment!!

[url=]This[/url] is commitment. "Unfinished business," I like the sounds of that.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 28, 2012 10:54AM

I'm thinkin' Mr. Mihalek has a very good sense of humour. :)

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2012 11:45AM

Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
Here's the list.

You're getting warmer...
[ojhlsite.stats.pointstreak.com]

Date: March 28, 2012 02:59PM

CowbellGuy
Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
Here's the list.

You're getting warmer...
Even better.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2012 03:02PM

Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
Here's the list.

You're getting warmer...
Even better.

And this guy's not related to John McCarron? We're going to have one of those Davenport situations again?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 28, 2012 03:06PM

Beeeej
Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
Here's the list.

You're getting warmer...
Even better.

And this guy's not related to John McCarron? We're going to have one of those Davenport situations again?
Did I hear correctly that John does have a younger brother who plays?

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 03:06PM

Beeeej
Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
Here's the list.

You're getting warmer...
Even better.

So even if they're not related can still yell McCarrons! in response to Song #7?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 03:07PM by css228.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 03:16PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
Here's the list.

You're getting warmer...
Even better.

Did I hear correctly that John does have a younger brother who plays?

Yes, his name is Michael McCarron and he's committed to Michigan State. I am just reporting the information that bnr24 found and shared with me yesterday when I asked the same question.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-4.myvzw.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 04:35PM

Beeeej
Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
Here's the list.

You're getting warmer...
Even better.

I'd say we'll have to sleep on that.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 03:16AM

css228
Beeeej
Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
CowbellGuy
Trotsky
Here's the list.

You're getting warmer...
Even better.

So even if they're not related can still yell McCarrons! in response to Song #7?

I say why not?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: March 29, 2012 10:11AM

Aaron M. Griffin
his name is Michael McCarron and he's committed to Michigan State. I am just reporting the information that bnr24 found and shared with me yesterday when I asked the same question.
Michigan State? How the hell'd that happen? :-(

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 10:25AM

Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin
his name is Michael McCarron and he's committed to Michigan State. I am just reporting the information that bnr24 found and shared with me yesterday when I asked the same question.
Per Heisenberg, he committed in Sept. 2010, 3 years (maybe 4) before he'd start college. We've had guys decommit before. Plenty of time to change his mind.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 29, 2012 10:33AM

Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin

John McCarron emphasized that he was a fan of Michigan State in the Michigan-Michigan State rivalry since when he was young when asked about his feelings about playing the flagship university of his home state. I realize that it could be because his brother had committed already to Michigan State, but I assumed that perhaps there is a family connection to Michigan State. Such a connection might be why Michael McCarron has chosen to play for Sparty.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-16.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2012 10:42AM

Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin

Liked the fight song.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2012 12:34PM

marty
Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin

Liked the fight song.

But we do a better job of playing it.cheer

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2012 09:44AM

It's the system.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 12:21PM

Aaron M. Griffin
It's the system.

Apropos of nothing -- I'm sure it's some genetic defect on my part, but I still can't hear or read the phrase "The Process" without thinking of this Wendy's commercial from the '80s:

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 01:22PM

jkahn
Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin
Per Heisenberg, he committed in Sept. 2010, 3 years (maybe 4) before he'd start college. We've had guys decommit before. Plenty of time to change his mind.

As just tweeted by eLynah: The Twitter Account

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: May 07, 2012 01:34PM

RichH
jkahn
Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin

If only they were twins...... ;-)

Date: May 07, 2012 02:12PM

If true, the 2014 team will have the "McCarron Mountains": John 6-2, Patrick 6-3 and Mike 6-5.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 03:27PM

Fabulous news! We're attracting some oustanding talent [and size]! Drop the puck!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 03:51PM

Trotsky
If true, the 2014 team will have the "McCarron Mountains": John 6-2, Patrick 6-3 and Mike 6-5.
Sounds like another nice intermediate step toward the eventual goal of having an entire team with the same last name.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: May 07, 2012 05:30PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
Sounds like another nice intermediate step toward the eventual goal of having an entire team with the same last name.
We could do it in, say, 2035 if we get the next generation of Suters.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 05:31PM

Josh '99
Trotsky

I think one of the fake programs the Cornell Lunatic put out had the entire team being named "Wilson."

In reality, it will be an entire team of Murphys, all in the same class. Somehow.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2012 05:34PM by RichH.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 06:08PM

Closest we've come, best I recall, is Fergusons. Worked out pretty well.banana

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 07, 2012 10:53PM

Here's what Reel Hockey Scouting says about him:
Reel Hockey Scouting
F): DOB: 03/07/95. 6’5, 225 lbs. Shoots right. Defensive minded forward with great size to bang bodies and create space. Rangy with athleticism and a never-ending reach.

Hulking skater with serviceable mobility. Has yet to fully coordinate with his size and still remains a bit off-balance and must become more firm in his boots. Does not turn quickly and must tighten his pivots.

Good vision. Does an exceptional job of putting pucks deep and is forceful and daunting upon his retrieval and support. Lacks control and strength with the puck. Can work it with reach when moving it up ice but needs to improve his tight quarters handy-work. Must become stronger on his stick. Is a beast in front of the opposing team’s net.

Competes hard and can anticipate the flow of the game and the path of the puck. Great efforts without the puck with his long reach. Back-checks hard.

Michigan State committed burnout. Drafted by the Belleville Bulls of the OHL in 2011. An extremely raw yet worthwhile prospect that projects to become a power forward in the professional ranks when he is drafted in 2013.

Sounds like our kind of guy.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 08, 2012 12:28AM

Swampy
Reel Hockey Scouting
...Is a beast in front of the opposing team’s net...
This is a thing I care about. We need someone who can park himself in front of the goalie.

Date: May 08, 2012 10:02AM

Swampy
Sounds Bâbyesque.

Date: May 08, 2012 01:26PM

Swampy
Reel Hockey Scouting
F): DOB: 03/07/95. 6’5, 225 lbs. Shoots right. Defensive minded forward with great size to bang bodies and create space. Rangy with athleticism and a never-ending reach.

Hulking skater with serviceable mobility. Has yet to fully coordinate with his size and still remains a bit off-balance and must become more firm in his boots. Does not turn quickly and must tighten his pivots.

Good vision. Does an exceptional job of putting pucks deep and is forceful and daunting upon his retrieval and support. Lacks control and strength with the puck. Can work it with reach when moving it up ice but needs to improve his tight quarters handy-work. Must become stronger on his stick. Is a beast in front of the opposing team’s net.

Competes hard and can anticipate the flow of the game and the path of the puck. Great efforts without the puck with his long reach. Back-checks hard.

Michigan State committed burnout. Drafted by the Belleville Bulls of the OHL in 2011. An extremely raw yet worthwhile prospect that projects to become a power forward in the professional ranks when he is drafted in 2013.

Sounds like our kind of guy.
"Hulking skater with serviceable mobility" is my favorite-ever euphemism for "he's pretty slow".

Date: May 08, 2012 01:29PM

RichH
Josh '99
Trotsky

I think one of the fake programs the Cornell Lunatic put out had the entire team being named "Wilson."
They definitely did; I tried to find a link to that roster but the Lunatic's online archive doesn't go back that far.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2012 01:58PM

Josh '99
RichH
Josh '99
Trotsky

They definitely did; I tried to find a link to that roster but the Lunatic's online archive doesn't go back that far.

I've got an original copy, which I'll try to get around to scanning at some point.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2012 04:52PM

Josh '99
"Hulking skater with serviceable mobility" is my favorite-ever euphemism for "he's pretty slow".
Nice deconstruction.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: May 09, 2012 10:51AM

billhoward
Josh '99
Nice deconstruction.
I think that deconstructs it too much. I'd say "he's as fast as he needs to be." You know, like Prince Fielder.

Date: May 10, 2012 01:08PM

ugarte
billhoward
Josh '99
Nice deconstruction.
I think that deconstructs it too much. I'd say "he's as fast as he needs to be." You know, like Prince Fielder.
"as fast as he needs to be" is the nicest way I've ever heard anyone describe Prince Fielder's foot speed.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: May 10, 2012 01:44PM

Josh '99
ugarte
billhoward
Josh '99
Nice deconstruction.
"as fast as he needs to be" is the nicest way I've ever heard anyone describe Prince Fielder's foot speed.

Well if Prince Fielder can do this, who needs to be fast?

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: May 16, 2012 11:51AM

RichH
jkahn
Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin

Heisenberg now lists Mike McCarron as a Cornell commit.

A bigger little brother McCarron on the way
Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2012 04:07PM

Heisenberg confirms what a few of you have said will happen. Great news. 6'5" 220, hope he continues the warm and friendly McCarron disposition of his brother on the ice.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2012 04:12PM by flyersgolf.

Date: May 17, 2012 06:39PM

scoop85
RichH
jkahn
Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin

Heisenberg now lists Mike McCarron as a Cornell commit.
It's interesting to see that the lists of players from the 2013 and 2014 USNDP teams are full of guys committed to the usual suspects (BC, Michigan, Denver, etc.), and... two each for Cornell and Yale.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2012 07:11PM

Next year's Cornell team should have 3 players from the USNDP team [Iles, Bardreau, and frosh Stoick]. Can't wait to so all these guys in a Cornell sweater!

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2012 09:39PM

CAS
Next year's Cornell team should have 3 players from the USNDP team [Iles, Bardreau, and frosh Stoick]. Can't wait to so all these guys in a Cornell sweater!

And Bliss (2014) is on the U17 team for 2014.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login