Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NC$$ Regionals_Going to Green Bay v. Michigan

Posted by Rita 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: NC$$ Regionals_Going to Green Bay v. Michigan
Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 12:46AM

Josh '99
Aaron M. Griffin
Apparently, Michigan is attempting to create Cornell-specific taunts. I found this to be a very frail effort.
Well, for instance, we're not actually "the Bears".
Let em go with it. Perfect for a retort of "Not our nickname". Other fun topics to hit them with include Hugh Jackman, obviously the bailouts (Love the idea of bailout sieve), the hilarious comparison of Hunwick to Rudy, interrupting their goal count, their status as Lynah Faithful wannabes. Just spitballin, but Michigan should be easy to taunt. I wish I could go.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-15.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2012 07:47AM

ajh258
"Bad Red" talks about getting ready for this weekend's "business trip" - I didn't know hockey could be so soulless.

[www.mgoblue.com]

Last year when you look at what Michigan did by preparing for their NCAA tournament opponents, one has to be impressed.
Every strength area of their opponents was taken care of. The Minn Duluth power play dominated their run until they met Michigan (although if I remember M Duluth did score one PP goal in the final) and the game went to OT where both teams looked great.

Underestimate the fans if you wish, but don't underestimate the team or the coach. (Might be a good thing that he doesn't have too many full game videos of Cornell to study, eh?)

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 08:00AM

marty
ajh258
"Bad Red" talks about getting ready for this weekend's "business trip" - I didn't know hockey could be so soulless.

[www.mgoblue.com]

Last year when you look at what Michigan did by preparing for their NCAA tournament opponents, one has to be impressed.
Every strength area of their opponents was taken care of. The Minn Duluth power play dominated their run until they met Michigan (although if I remember M Duluth did score one PP goal in the final) and the game went to OT where both teams looked great.

Underestimate the fans if you wish, but don't underestimate the team or the coach. (Might be a good thing that he doesn't have too many full game videos of Cornell to study, eh?)

We could volunteer to ship him the Redcast tapes. That would further cloud his sense of what Cornell does on the ice.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2012 11:08AM

RichH
Josh '99
Aaron M. Griffin
Apparently, Michigan is attempting to create Cornell-specific taunts. I found this to be a very frail effort.
Well, for instance, we're not actually "the Bears".

The tickets at the Ralph a couple years ago read "vs. Cornell Bears," so maybe they judge team names by logos out west.
Oh wow, I forgot about that. I guess they don't know how to use the Internet to fact check either!

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 21, 2012 11:20AM

marty
ajh258

[www.mgoblue.com]

I don't think anyone on here, among the team, or among the coaching staff will underestimate Michigan. We all know the odds of victory and the talent of the opposition. They have a Hobey Baker Finalist goaltender. They are a program that measures the success of each season by attainment of Frozen Four appearances.

The video scouting coach for Michigan said this morning in a radio interview that they could not get much footage of Cornell (I assume that they do have the Red Hot Hockey 2011 game because most of the Michigan fan blogs have gotten that), but that per NCAA rules, Cornell and Michigan had to exchange footage of their last games. Michigan received footage of our 3-0 win over Colgate, and Cornell received footage of Michigan's 3-2 loss to Western Michigan.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 11:49AM

Wow, Michigan fans can't possibly come up with cheers and either Red or the Michigan team (or both) are soulless when it comes to hockey. rolleyes

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 12:00PM

Having gone to Michigan for grad school, I think this is just too subtle an analysis. The football rivalry with tOSU is huge with the fan base, no matter what the sport. Playing the Ohio State fight song will have a bigger impact than either the Notre Dame or MSU tune. Go band! I'm looking forward to hearing it on the broadcast.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 21, 2012 12:09PM

ninian '72
Having gone to Michigan for grad school, I think this is just too subtle an analysis. The football rivalry with tOSU is huge with the fan base, no matter what the sport. Playing the Ohio State fight song will have a bigger impact than either the Notre Dame or MSU tune. Go band! I'm looking forward to hearing it on the broadcast.

I'm just wondering how we're going to get a tuba player to dot the i before faceoff.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-15.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2012 12:09PM

ninian '72

I also went there for grad school and I agree - Eh2 .

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 12:45PM

Aaron M. Griffin
marty
ajh258

[www.mgoblue.com]

I don't think anyone on here, among the team, or among the coaching staff will underestimate Michigan. We all know the odds of victory and the talent of the opposition. They have a Hobey Baker Finalist goaltender. They are a program that measures the success of each season by attainment of Frozen Four appearances.

The video scouting coach for Michigan said this morning in a radio interview that they could not get much footage of Cornell (I assume that they do have the Red Hot Hockey 2011 game because most of the Michigan fan blogs have gotten that), but that per NCAA rules, Cornell and Michigan had to exchange footage of their last games. Michigan received footage of our 3-0 win over Colgate, and Cornell received footage of Michigan's 3-2 loss to Western Michigan.
Cornell's secret weapon could be sending out RedCast videos. Andy Noel, you sly devil, there is method to the madness.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 12:45PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 01:04PM

Greenberg '97
I'm just wondering how we're going to get a tuba player to dot the i before faceoff.
Have two put an umlaut over the "o" in Cornell.

Date: March 21, 2012 01:16PM

A more formalized version of the"Good Red, Bad Red."

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 01:19PM

is there any viewing party in NYC now that Ship of Fools is gone?

Posted by: snert1288 (---.uhmc.sunysb.edu)
Date: March 21, 2012 01:22PM

I really like that Aaron. Looking good!

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2012 01:26PM

underskill
is there any viewing party in NYC now that Ship of Fools is gone?

I don't really have the time or energy to organize one at a bar, especially since I won't be here if we make it to the second round on Saturday (and because we'll be up against regional basketball finals). We might consider hosting a small one at our place in Brooklyn, though. Let me know if you organize one or hear of one elsewhere.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 21, 2012 01:28PM

Trotsky
Greenberg '97
I wonder if anyone understands how I got from there to thinking Cornell really needs a death metal logo.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 01:44PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Greenberg '97
I wonder if anyone understands how I got from there to thinking Cornell really needs a death metal logo.

We already have a song:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 01:45PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 21, 2012 01:49PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Greenberg '97

We already have a song:

That sound is truly awful. I think the drummer must have forgotten his snare and used a metal folding chair instead.

Date: March 21, 2012 02:36PM

billhoward
Aaron M. Griffin
marty
ajh258

[www.mgoblue.com]

Cornell's secret weapon could be sending out RedCast videos. Andy Noel, you sly devil, there is method to the madness.
That would be a great joke if someone else hadn't already made it two posts above yours.

Date: March 21, 2012 02:40PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Why does a chant need a formalized illustration? Can't you just, you know, yell it?

Date: March 21, 2012 02:47PM

Josh '99
Aaron M. Griffin
Why does a chant need a formalized illustration? Can't you just, you know, yell it?

I was thinking along the lines of how we use the images of Gaudet when we play Dartmouth. It was to augment the chant, not replace it. Also, unrelated to the game itself, they work well on social media sites.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: snert1288 (---.uhmc.sunysb.edu)
Date: March 21, 2012 05:15PM

I also would be interested in a viewing location in NYC. I'm usually content to watch on my own on Long Island, but this weekend I can probably escape to the city for a night innocent Though, I do think it would be hard to convince a sports bar to put it on with 3 basketball games on. I'm new to downstate, but does the Cornell Club ever organize an event to watch the hockey games when on TV?

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2012 10:09AM

I'm planning on heading up from Chicago tomorrow. Is there any specific section I should try to buy tickets in?

Date: March 22, 2012 10:42AM

Game 1 of the Cornell-Michigan Series in the 1991 NCAA Tournament.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 22, 2012 10:58AM

Aaron M. Griffin

G_d, that's beautiful. I broke my friend's chandelier when I heard us score that goal on the radio.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2012 11:19AM

Willy '06
I'm planning on heading up from Chicago tomorrow. Is there any specific section I should try to buy tickets in?
I have tickets in section 220 and Cornell's allotment is in 217, which is in a corner. Somewhere in that quarter of the rink should be good.

Date: March 22, 2012 01:44PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Steve Shields in net..........did Manderville take the shot in OT or did he tie it up with just a few secs remaining? I forget. Not sure which goal is shown in the picture.

This was actually the first Michigan team to make the NCAA tournament in years. Red Berenson had 3 pretty rough years to start off his Michigan tenure, then a few years a bit above .500, then the '90 team was decent and the '91 team went 34-10-3. If I'm remembering correctly, Berenson felt that there was so much pressure on Steve Shields (and the rest of the team was relying too much on Shields); he decided to start the backup goalie in game 2. Like him or not, that's a decision that takes some courage, he didn't have the "tenure" at that point that he has today.

I really wish that I had gone to those games.

Date: March 22, 2012 01:47PM

RatushnyFan
Aaron M. Griffin
Steve Shields in net..........did Manderville take the shot in OT or did he tie it up with just a few secs remaining? I forget. Not sure which goal is shown in the picture.

Maderville tied the game with 0:02 in regulation. Andison won it in overtime. I cannot confirm of which goal this is a photo (it's the only one that I can find of the game), but most sources identify it as the image of the game-winning goal.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 01:49PM by Aaron M. Griffin.

Date: March 22, 2012 01:50PM

Aaron M. Griffin
RatushnyFan

Maderville tied the game with 0:02 in regulation. Andison won it in overtime. I cannot confirm of which goal this is a photo (it's the only one that I can find of the game), but most sources identify it as the image of the game-winning goal.

Given that Hughes wore #9, and the line was Hughes-Andison-Derraugh, I'm going to say there's a really good chance they're right.

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 01:50PM by Beeeej.

Date: March 22, 2012 01:51PM

Beeeej
Aaron M. Griffin
RatushnyFan

Given that Hughes wore #9, and the line was Hughes-Andison-Derraugh, I'm going to say there's a really good chance they're right.[/quote]

Thanks. I was too young to be associated with Cornell hockey or to be that invested at the time, so I had no clue the lines.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 22, 2012 01:56PM

That's right. And I'm wrong about Red Berenson benching Shields for game 2, he benched him for game 3. Same general point though. I just looked back through those old box scores. I forgot that Doug Derraugh had a heck of a series, 5G and 4A. Though I don't know how many goals Michigan had while his line was on the ice. What a senior year and career.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 10:42AM

I know there's a link somewhere else on this forum, but here's a link to a 2010 Michigan Daily article citing the '91 Cornell series and our fans at Yost being the turnaround point for Michigan hockey.
[uwire.com]
I'm bringing a few copies with me, in case some of their fans think we are stealing their cheers.
Somewhere, there's also a much older article with quotes from Red Berenson attributing the Yost atmosphere to the '91 Cornell visit.

Date: March 23, 2012 12:33PM

Just called to buy tickets (1-800-895-0071) because the online version was only giving me one option in Section 222 - Row J. I went for Section 220 to optimize for both viewing angle and being close to the Cornell section. I'll be the guy in the ridiculous red and white striped blazer.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 12:42PM

Willy '06
Just called to buy tickets (1-800-895-0071) because the online version was only giving me one option in Section 222 - Row J. I went for Section 220 to optimize for both viewing angle and being close to the Cornell section. I'll be the guy in the ridiculous red and white striped blazer.

Which guy in the ridiculous red and white striped blazer?

Date: March 23, 2012 12:50PM

jtn27
Willy '06

Which guy in the ridiculous red and white striped blazer?

The guy who isn't over 100 and has one?

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 23, 2012 01:17PM

Willy '06

You need to contact some badger fans about getting the "matching" pants! :-O

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: March 23, 2012 03:07PM

Cablevision is the worst. Could someone please DM me their cable login info so I can get ESPN3?

Posted by: jkahn (---.tmodns.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 03:53PM

At Stadium View Bar on Holmgren St watching Union game

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 02:46PM

RichH
Aaron M. Griffin
My comment was one merely that we should consider the importance that our opponent currently gives to a given rival. Also, is Michigan State's fight song that recognizable? I know to Wolverine ears it will be, but will our fans get the joke?

Fair enough. In the end, I trust the band's judgment, because they're the ones who have to play it, and whatever they decide will be sure to get some smiles.

And the verdict is in. The internet seems to like us when we do things like that.

[guyism.com]

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 03:05PM

RichH
RichH
Aaron M. Griffin
My comment was one merely that we should consider the importance that our opponent currently gives to a given rival. Also, is Michigan State's fight song that recognizable? I know to Wolverine ears it will be, but will our fans get the joke?

Fair enough. In the end, I trust the band's judgment, because they're the ones who have to play it, and whatever they decide will be sure to get some smiles.

And the verdict is in. The internet seems to like us when we do things like that.

[guyism.com]
Perlberg
I'm in the MSU Spartan Band, and I just wanted to say: Cornell, I will love you forever for this.
Indeed they do.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 26, 2012 01:21PM

css228
RichH
RichH
Aaron M. Griffin

[guyism.com]
Perlberg
I'm in the MSU Spartan Band, and I just wanted to say: Cornell, I will love you forever for this.
Indeed they do.

Nothing says the band got your attention like when you start mock conducting after scoring a goal.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login