Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Most likely upset this weekend

Posted by am243 
Most likely upset this weekend
Posted by: am243 (---.ece.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2003 02:36PM

So looking at the matchups for this weekend, which series do you think is most likely to be an upset?

I would love to see Vermont knock Clarkson out again like they did two years ago, but I think the most likely upset would have to be RPI over Union.

Re: Most likely upset this weekend
Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: March 03, 2003 02:56PM

In the USCHO Message Board's ECAC pick the winners contest, I was the only entrant who actually picked Princeton to shock Brown. I doubt it'll happen, but hey, if it does, I look like a genius.

Beeeej

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2003 03:44PM

Perhaps you should check the board more carefully, I also made that prediction. B-]

Princeton is playing much better than earlier in the year, and Brown has serious issues unless Danis stands on his head. I think that Brown could easily get lazy and let this series slip away before they realize it.

Posted by: Keith K (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 03, 2003 04:34PM

I don't nkow if there wil be any upsets but please, I hope not. Below are the current RPIStr numbers for the five teams we can play in the second round:
Colgate        .4729  33
Vermont        .4234  44
St. Lawrence   .4001  48
RPI            .3728  51
Princeton      .2593  60
Having to play two more games against Princeton could seriously hurt our RPI numbers.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 03, 2003 04:39PM

Too bad the top seed can't choose their opponent. Given the national consequences, Cornell would be best serving by playing the *best* surviving seed.

Posted by: CrazyLarry (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 03, 2003 05:13PM

You're all nuts. The best way to improve national strength is to WIN 4 games. Only 3 other teams will do that. Everyone else will incur at least one loss, many teams will get two. Winning 4 games is what you want to do. Given that, I want the easiest competition available. If that's Princeton (I don't think it is, actually), bring 'em on.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 03, 2003 05:20PM

Unfortunately, winning two vs. Princeton will hurt our RPI and therefore hurt the all important PWR. Last Friday's win against Princeton caused us to lose ground on Maine and fall closer to those behind us, even though Maine lost to BU on Friday, who we've defeated twice. That's why 1) we have the above comments and 2) KRACH makes a lot more sense.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: March 03, 2003 05:25PM

Okay, I was the only entrant who had yet picked Princeton at the time I made my picks and posted them on the message board. rolleyes

Beeeej

Posted by: jd212 (---.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: March 03, 2003 05:38PM

I couldn't care less who we play, as long as we win. If our play in the last three games is any indication of our future performance, I'm afraid we'll be facing an early exit. LeNeveu was the only one who looked remotely good on Saturday night.

Posted by: ronnym (132.236.117.---)
Date: March 03, 2003 06:15PM

I agree. Nevvy was stellar on Saturday night, but I think we'll need better showings in the ECACs.

Our next two (yes hopefully only 2) games will be at Lynah, so I think we'll have good showings. Then, hopefully we'll be right on target for whatever is next.

B-]

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2003 06:15PM

i couldnt find the pick the winners contest on uscho. is it in community/cafe?
thanks nut

Posted by: Section A (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2003 06:21PM

No, it's not in community/cafe, it just hasn't been posted on in a while, so it slipped to the second page. Here's the link to the thread though...

[board.uscho.com]

Posted by: judy (---.washdc3.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: March 03, 2003 06:36PM

if you're looking for the ecac playoffs contest, vic posted it in D1 thread this year.

Who do we want to play
Posted by: Keith K (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 03, 2003 08:10PM

Does anyone really think that this team shouldn't be able to beat any of the bottom five teams in the conference? I don't think it's woofing to say that, if this team is really a national contender, it should put away any of those five. The first two of the four wins needed should come regardless of who we have to play. No counting your chickens and all that, but I'd still rather see Colgate come into town than Princeton or RPI.

Feel free to flagellate me if you think this will anger the hockey gods...

Posted by: Big Ben 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2003 09:33PM

I don't disagree with you, KeithK. I do not want to face SLU(t), though. I don't think there is such a thing as a not-dangerous north country team, especially at the end of the season, no matter how badly they've done. Colgate, Princeton, RPI, etc. I wouldn't mind. I just have a nervous tic when i hear "Clarkson" or "St. Lawrence". . .

Posted by: CrazyLarry (---.tnt32.phl6.da.uu.net)
Date: March 03, 2003 09:34PM

Consider yourself flagellated. I take no chances. :-D

Also, I have a lot of faith that if we continue to win, the PWR numbers will shake themselves out in the end. Teams will get upset. There are teams down in the 12-16 range that are deperate for wins. There will be upsets, there always are. And teams will lose because someone has to lose all these games that will be played in the next 3 weekends. Wait and see, the only important thing will be whether our guys can win the games they are presented with. I am confident in this. It is tough to move your RPI up to 0.6 while losing games.

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2003 11:14PM

thanks for the link, guys. posted my choices - no upsets this year, i think :-P

Re: Who do we want to play
Posted by: chag (---.pivot.net)
Date: March 04, 2003 12:05AM

You DO know that to flagellate someone/something (if it could be used as a verb, which it can't....) would be to give them a WHIP-LIKE tail ??

Animal Science Major....couldn't resist:-P

And why are some of you saying that our boys in Red aren't GOOD ENOUGH to win? When will they be good enough for you ? You can do better, I suppose. Sheeesh. They're great ! I watched the Maine/BU game on TV and was less than impressed. Maybe we had a sub-stellar performance at Princeton, but I'm pretty sure WE WON. The Big Red plays with more heart than any other team (always has) and as miserable as you seem to make them out to be, take a look at Greg's stats........ If you are a member of the FAITHFUL, have some FAITH ! LET'S Go RED ! :-(

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 04, 2003 12:16AM

Sorry, Beth, but flagellate is a verb that means to "whip, scourge, flog, or lash" -- Random House College Dictionary.

Editor....couldn't resist:-P

Posted by: chag (---.pivot.net)
Date: March 04, 2003 01:01AM

Anne, I almost said shouldn't be used as a verb (as opposed to COULDN'T be....) . Nothing beats a good flogging, IMHO. Much better version of the human use of the word.....still comes from flagellum. I'll consider myself flogged and head to bed, retiring my own red pen for the evening.

..... much too late for me to be in a vertical position anyway . Visions of hockey pucks danced in my head nut

Posted by: jeh25 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: March 04, 2003 09:13AM

Beth Chagrasulis '80 wrote:

You DO know that to flagellate someone/something (if it could be used as a verb, which it can't....) would be to give them a WHIP-LIKE tail ??

Animal Science Major....couldn't resist:-P

Ummm.

As a noun, flagellate means an organism with a whiplike tail. As an adj., it means resembling a flagellum.

However, the verb form has a different (albeit related) meaning. To flagellate means a) to whip or flog or b) to punish by whipping. So Keith did use the word correctly.

Capt. Pendantry exits stage left....

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 04, 2003 10:46AM

John E Hayes '98 '00 wrote:

Capt. Pendantry exits stage left....
Pendantry? What would Colonel Spelling-bee say?;-)

Posted by: chag (---.unet.maine.edu)
Date: March 04, 2003 12:03PM

Sigh. My point was not to correct someone's spelling or grammar as so many people are quick to do on this HOCKEY forum. We are often reading/writing these things late at night (just gotta check the forum before bed.....you know you do it too) and until Age gives us spell and grammar check we're on our own.

Anyway my POINT was not the word thing....that was an aside. My reason for posting was that I'm of the opinion that so many of you are so quick to criticize our beloved BIG RED team and their performances when I thought you should be more faithful and loyal and less critical. But this is certainly a critical bunch, as anyone sees when they make a post with ANY kind of error, such as having incorrect opinions, for example.

;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login