Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC Finals Weekend not on TV

Posted by flyersgolf 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: ECAC Finals Weekend not on TV
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2012 08:11PM

jtn27
Are there any other smaller arenas in NYC other than MSG and the Barclays (and if you want to include it Nassau Coliseum)?

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 08:31PM

Don't get too many crazy ideas about having a Conference Tourney with a ticket to the NC$$ tournament at stake at a venue that doesn't normally have ice for hockey games. You do not want to be playing important games on sh*tty ice.

With some of the ideas in this thread I think about the 1996 FF in Cincinnati that had awful ice problems and caused a very long delay.

I hope they do have decent ice in AC this weekend. I would much rather have it at a venue that has a resident hockey team.

I don't think Bridgeport is a likely permanent solution. I know this weekend they are hosting the first two rounds of the women's squeakable tourney and fans in CT and the surrounding area will go watch the lady huskies, and not ECAC hockey. Since they are now in the NC$$ regional rotation, they may focus on hosting that event rather than the ECAC tourney.

Date: March 14, 2012 08:52PM

adamw
Trotsky
adamw
And no one wanted to be back Albany except maybe Union and RPI.
Could you elaborate? I know (having made) the fans' complaints about Albany, but what were the schools' issues?

Money

Which is also the reason that Albany has no regionals this year. If I am not mistaken, they have been in Albany on alternating years since at least 1994. Many of us remember the bittersweet 1996 game versus Lake Superior State. I remember RPI being embarrassed, I think in '94.

Sad to say that although there are some college hockey fans in the Capital District, there are more RPI and Union townies who don't give a crap about college hockey as a semi-religious experience. The problem with Albany has been attendance. I think that an experiment that the league can consider is Bridgeport. They seem to draw for the regionals and have "stolen" Albany's regional this year. It will be interesting to see the attendance there next week. I hope I have to make the trip.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2012 08:58PM

Rita
Don't get too many crazy ideas about having a Conference Tourney with a ticket to the NC$$ tournament at stake at a venue that doesn't normally have ice for hockey games. You do not want to be playing important games on sh*tty ice.

With some of the ideas in this thread I think about the 1996 FF in Cincinnati that had awful ice problems and caused a very long delay.

I hope they do have decent ice in AC this weekend. I would much rather have it at a venue that has a resident hockey team.

I don't think Bridgeport is a likely permanent solution. I know this weekend they are hosting the first two rounds of the women's squeakable tourney and fans in CT and the surrounding area will go watch the lady huskies, and not ECAC hockey. Since they are now in the NC$$ regional rotation, they may focus on hosting that event rather than the ECAC tourney.
Very true, my statement was more along the lines that if AC is acceptable to the league ice wise (and it shouldn't be), and we see how much better ice making is getting, why not try the same thing in Philly. But definitely shoot hockey specific first.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 09:03PM

Rita

Ford Field.

Ohhh, if you're going to go to Philadelphia, let's keep going to Baltimore. Or Washington DCAC!!!

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 09:06PM

RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

Ohhh, if you're going to go to Philadelphia, let's keep going to Baltimore. Or Washington DCAC!!!

Why stop there? I've heard they have a nice rink in Tampa.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: judy (---.wsh.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 09:12PM

RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

I'll take DC! But it's in the 70s here this week and it's always weird to show up for a hockey game in shorts and sandals. And there were many complaints a few years back about ice quality at the Frozen Four.

But really. AC is that much closer to me than Albany from a geographical perspective but the easiest way to get to AC. While I may have missed Albany once or twice in the years it's been there (even been there when Cornell wasn't there), I haven't been to AC yet. I guess I should go at least once so maybe next year.

Date: March 14, 2012 09:34PM

RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

I'd say Philly is actually closer to the heart of the league than Atlantic city. 2 hour drive from NYC. But I'm more in favor of the poach RIT and BCA scenario.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 10:19PM

RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

Ford Field was pretty bad, but they didn't have the delays like in Cinncy.

At least Tampa has a resident hockey team and they did play hockey well into May last year. So I hope that experience pays off for the FF.

Date: March 14, 2012 10:46PM

css228
RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

I'd say Philly is actually closer to the heart of the league than Atlantic city. 2 hour drive from NYC. But I'm more in favor of the poach RIT and BCA scenario.

I feel that Philly would suffer from many of the same issues that plague AC other than inability to keep and maintain ice. It is only somewhat closer to the center of the Conference for teams that already would need to take a long-distance trip. Princeton is the only team whose travel distance might be affected were they to make the ECAC Championships in an appreciable manner. I like Philadelphia, but I can see only how many of the arguments leveled against AC would then be turned against Philadelphia.

I think that Albany makes the most sense.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 10:52PM

css228
One has to wonder whether or not there would be a way to make Philly work. After all if you're going to go as far south as AC, you might as well come to a real destination city.

Date: March 14, 2012 11:20PM

Aaron M. Griffin
css228
RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

I feel that Philly would suffer from many of the same issues that plague AC other than inability to keep and maintain ice. It is only somewhat closer to the center of the Conference for teams that already would need to take a long-distance trip. Princeton is the only team whose travel distance might be affected were they to make the ECAC Championships in an appreciable manner. I like Philadelphia, but I can see only how many of the arguments leveled against AC would then be turned against Philadelphia.

Once again, I think we really have to wait to see who Hockey East takes as a 12th team to know what the options are.

Posted by: bnr24 (---.dhcp.drexel.edu)
Date: March 14, 2012 11:22PM

judy
RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

I'll take DC! But it's in the 70s here this week and it's always weird to show up for a hockey game in shorts and sandals. And there were many complaints a few years back about ice quality at the Frozen Four.

But really. AC is that much closer to me than Albany from a geographical perspective but the easiest way to get to AC. While I may have missed Albany once or twice in the years it's been there (even been there when Cornell wasn't there), I haven't been to AC yet. I guess I should go at least once so maybe next year.

It's in the 70s in Philly this week, too. I presume AC isn't much colder. Maybe 60s minimum during the day. I don't know.

Date: March 14, 2012 11:37PM

css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

Once again, I think we really have to wait to see who Hockey East takes as a 12th team to know what the options are.

Let's add two more to the ECAC. Coax Penn into restarting its hockey program, they have already the rink, and pick up RIT. I would like to pick of RIT, but I am not a big fan of pushing directly or implicitly other ECAC teams out of the Conference.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2012 11:38PM

bnr24
judy
RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

It's in the 70s in Philly this week, too. I presume AC isn't much colder. Maybe 60s minimum during the day. I don't know.

It's supposed to be in the 70s in Ithaca this week too. Warm weather would be a factor in any city as spring starts. I don't really think climate should be taken into consideration in picking a rink.

Date: March 14, 2012 11:42PM

Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

Let's add two more to the ECAC. Coax Penn into restarting its hockey program, they have already the rink, and pick up RIT. I would like to pick of RIT, but I am not a big fan of pushing directly or implicitly other ECAC teams out of the Conference.
Even Q-Pac?

Date: March 14, 2012 11:43PM

Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

The goal of adding more teams would be to get stronger as a conference, not weaker. While RIT would probably be an upgrade, Penn certainly would not be.

Date: March 14, 2012 11:44PM

jtn27
bnr24
judy
RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

It's supposed to be in the 70s in Ithaca this week too. Warm weather would be a factor in any city as spring starts. I don't really think climate should be taken into consideration in picking a rink.
Yes it should, which is why I propose the tourney be held in Vladivostok. Time to live up to our rep folks.

Date: March 14, 2012 11:47PM

jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

The goal of adding more teams would be to get stronger as a conference, not weaker. While RIT would probably be an upgrade, Penn certainly would not be.

Adding Penn would prevent a dilution of the proportionate power of the Ivies within the ECAC. 6/12 to 7/14. I know that Penn hockey was a laughing stock. Who else is there to add? RIT is a given.

Also, I don't hate Quinni, so, I stand by my statement.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 14, 2012 11:48PM

css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

Even Q-Pac?

What is that you have against Q-pac? I know they haven't made the NCAA Tournament since joining the ECAC (I think that's right, I'm sure someone will correct me if it's not), but it's not like they've been a doormat either. They're relatively competitive every year and are a TUC this year. Although they don't have the historical success of many of the other ECAC teams, they're not even close to being the worst team in the league (at least since I've come to Cornell).

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 11:50PM

css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

Even Q-Pac?
At the risk of triggering a diatribe, why the hate for Q-pac? They haven't been remotely close to being the worst team in the league. They've only finished as low as 10th once, and that was their first ECAC season. Since then, they've been a very middle-of-the-pack team. Meh, I say.

Edit: Get out of my head, JTN!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2012 11:51PM by Robb.

Date: March 14, 2012 11:53PM

Robb
Get out of my head, JTN!

No. I will do no such thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2012 11:54PM by jtn27.

Date: March 15, 2012 12:01AM

jtn27
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

Even Q-Pac?

What is that you have against Q-pac? I know they haven't made the NCAA Tournament since joining the ECAC (I think that's right, I'm sure someone will correct me if it's not), but it's not like they've been a doormat either. They're relatively competitive every year and are a TUC this year. Although they don't have the historical success of many of the other ECAC teams, they're not even close to being the worst team in the league (at least since I've come to Cornell).
It's more that if I wanted RIT in the league, they're the ones I wouldn't want. And I want RIT in the league. They have a Frozen 4 more recently than our league and quite frankly their fan base is pretty strong, not to mention Rochester would automatically be one of the biggest markets in ECAC Hockey. I just feel that Q-Pac doesn't add anything to our league other than a 3/4 empty stadium and another team of bodies. They have no real historical basis in the league, no real rivalries, They've made it to AC once I think (or did that not happen?). I mean I'd gladly drop Brown before them, or jump to Hockey East ourselves, but neither of those are going to happen. The two teams that have expressed interest in HE are Q-Pac and RPI. Which would you rather lose? That's what I thought. Q-Pac is the worst team we can drop without destroying the historical integrity or tradition of the league. And they have absolutely no fan base. RIT on the other hand sold out the Blue Cross Arena (a 10,000 person arena) for a game against SLU. Admittedly it was homecoming, but SLU isn't exactly a big name draw. Besides you get RIT and then we probably get Rochester, and the BCA. So in other words, problem solved on ECAC tourney location.
Basically short summary, I don't hate Q-Pac. I just can't see us growing to 14 (especially with the 29 game limit), and would rather lose Q-Pac than RPI among the realistic choices.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 12:04AM by css228.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 12:02AM

css228
Yes it should, which is why I propose the tourney be held in Vladivostok. Time to live up to our rep folks.
That would be an awesome trip. I can just imagine the puzzled Russian security folks at the airport when a load of Cornell fans arrive.

Date: March 15, 2012 12:07AM

Ben
css228
That would be an awesome trip. I can just imagine the puzzled Russian security folks at the airport when a load of Cornell fans arrive.
I was going to respond to you in Russian, but the forum doesn't allow posting with Cyrillic alphabets.

Date: March 15, 2012 12:08AM

Ben
css228

I thought you said you weren't reading this thread.

Ben
tl;dr

Liar

Date: March 15, 2012 12:40AM

css228
They've made it to AC once I think (or did that not happen?).

2007. They upset some inconsequential team in the ECAC Quarterfinals with a sweep on that team's home ice.

I assumed that you meant the ECAC Championships not AC in particular because Colgate, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, and Union are the only teams to have earned a trip to AC since AC has hosted the event.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 15, 2012 12:48AM

Aaron M. Griffin
css228

2007. They upset some inconsequential team in the ECAC Quarterfinals with a sweep on that team's home ice.

I assumed that you meant the ECAC Championships not AC in particular because Colgate, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, and Union are the only teams to have earned a trip to AC since AC has hosted the event.
Sorry meant ECAC championships, not AC in particular. Just have that on the brain since at the moment I guess. Also guess that means we're agreed on didn't happen

Date: March 15, 2012 12:51AM

css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228

Sorry meant ECAC championships, not AC in particular. Just have that on the brain since at the moment I guess. Also guess that means we're agreed on didn't happen

I wish that it didn't. I respect Quinnipiac, but that loss is/was painful. The only team to have swept Cornell at Lynah in the ECAC Qfs in recent memory.

I have AC on the brain too. I am looking forward to seeing on Friday/Saturday if it is as bad in person as people who went last year make it seem.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 01:45AM

I don't think it's accurate to say Quinnipiac has no fan base. It had the 6th highest attendance in the league, probably 5th if you take out the Fenway game in Harvard's column. More than Union, St. Lawrence and Clarkson, among others. They have been known to fill their building - and the year they did make it to Albany, brought a sizable contingent -- certainly moreso than just about any other school in the ECAC.

Date: March 15, 2012 02:13AM

adamw
I don't think it's accurate to say Quinnipiac has no fan base. It had the 6th highest attendance in the league, probably 5th if you take out the Fenway game in Harvard's column. More than Union, St. Lawrence and Clarkson, among others. They have been known to fill their building - and the year they did make it to Albany, brought a sizable contingent -- certainly moreso than just about any other school in the ECAC.
Okay, but if the rumors are to be believed, I'd still rather lose them than RPI, which probably has the second or third best fan base in the league, and RIT would undoubtedly bring a lot to the table in the context of having the ability to have a full slate of scholarships. I definitely don't hate Quinny, but I don't think I'd miss them if they went to Hockey East. I'd definitely miss RPI. While their fans can be annoying sometimes, the series is nothing if not fun. I just really want RIT in the league. They were here my first weekend of Cornell hockey, and even though we lost, their fans travelling in made it fun. They'd definitely rival RPI and Clarkson for second in passion almost immediately. I'm not saying I really want Quinnipiac gone, but unless we're allowed at a minimum four more games by Ivy rules, then you can't do 14 teams like Aaron suggested, If someone has to go, they're the team that realistically might leave that I'd miss the least. I mean, imagine a USCHO forum without RPI's incessant complaints about Schafer. The entire system might collapse.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 02:23AM

Aaron M. Griffin
The only team to have swept Cornell at Lynah in the ECAC Qfs in recent memory.

That's the only one I can remember too.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: March 15, 2012 02:27AM

css228
It's more that if I wanted RIT in the league, they're the ones I wouldn't want. And I want RIT in the league. They have a Frozen 4 more recently than our league and quite frankly their fan base is pretty strong, not to mention Rochester would automatically be one of the biggest markets in ECAC Hockey. I just feel that Q-Pac doesn't add anything to our league other than a 3/4 empty stadium and another team of bodies. They have no real historical basis in the league, no real rivalries, They've made it to AC once I think (or did that not happen?). I mean I'd gladly drop Brown before them, or jump to Hockey East ourselves, but neither of those are going to happen. The two teams that have expressed interest in HE are Q-Pac and RPI. Which would you rather lose? That's what I thought. Q-Pac is the worst team we can drop without destroying the historical integrity or tradition of the league. And they have absolutely no fan base. RIT on the other hand sold out the Blue Cross Arena (a 10,000 person arena) for a game against SLU. Admittedly it was homecoming, but SLU isn't exactly a big name draw. Besides you get RIT and then we probably get Rochester, and the BCA. So in other words, problem solved on ECAC tourney location.
Basically short summary, I don't hate Q-Pac. I just can't see us growing to 14 (especially with the 29 game limit), and would rather lose Q-Pac than RPI among the realistic choices.

Oh my god, Oh My God, OMG. Just read through my history of posts here, and I've been advocating dropping UNION for RIT for years here. Just because Union happens to be decent for the first time in ever, right this second is no reason to ignore what a drag they are in the league. They are an awful program. The (former) university president (Hull) basically said that the best they should expect was to be a .500 team in the league, and that would be dandy. They are a DIII school with a DIII mentality, and a piss poor arena (akin to a high school gymnasium), with immature fans, and get them the hell out of the ECAC. Quinnipiac at least built a modern rink as a centerpiece to their new campus. QU is essentially moving from being a commuter school to one that is building a campus with a med school as well as a law school.

In summary, leave Quinnipiac alone for now. They are doing some right things. UNION SUCKS. Get them the hell out of our league in exchange straight up for RIT. I'd do that in a heartbeat. I will continue to push this. I just sucks that they happen to be a good team right now. I guarantee they will fall back to the dregs soon enough.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 02:40AM by RichH.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 02:27AM

We can lose RPI. They haven't been producing within or outside the league on a consistent basis for more than a decade now, and Quinnipiac has really outperformed RPI in the past few years consistently. Still, I would really like to see changes in recruitment rules and season start times for the Ivy League - I think those are the biggest issues barring us from getting better players and performance.

Date: March 15, 2012 02:31AM

ajh258
We can lose RPI. They haven't been producing within or outside the league on a consistent basis for more than a decade now, and Quinnipiac has really outperformed RPI in the past few years consistently. Still, I would really like to see changes in recruitment rules and season start times for the Ivy League - I think those are the biggest issues barring us from getting better players and performance.

Seriously!?

Yeah, we surely want to lose one of the three programs that has any fans in this league, and one of the three with any national championships. Also, RPI meshes well academically. Or...OR! we could drop a program that took 20 years to win a playoff series. DUMP UNION. Jebus.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 02:42AM by RichH.

Date: March 15, 2012 05:10AM

RichH
ajh258

Seriously!?

Yeah, we surely want to lose one of the three programs that has any fans in this league, and one of the three with any national championships. Also, RPI meshes well academically. Or...OR! we could drop a program that took 20 years to win a playoff series. DUMP UNION. Jebus.
RPI really needs to step up its game. It has a good fan base and history, but the quality of hockey has been sucking a lot lately. I'm impartial to losing Union because it looks like they've been able to get their stuff together in recent years. I think RIT will experience similar growing pains coming up to the ECAC because the competition is just on a completely different level.

In any case, if Quinnipiac is leaving, then the obvious choice is to invite RIT. I don't think we have a say where Union is going/staying anyways.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 08:09AM

ajh258
RichH
ajh258

Seriously!?

RPI really needs to step up its game. It has a good fan base and history, but the quality of hockey has been sucking a lot lately. I'm impartial to losing Union because it looks like they've been able to get their stuff together in recent years. I think RIT will experience similar growing pains coming up to the ECAC because the competition is just on a completely different level.

In any case, if Quinnipiac is leaving, then the obvious choice is to invite RIT. I don't think we have a say where Union is going/staying anyways.

Uh, they were in the NCAA's just LAST YEAR. I'll restrain myself from saying more.

Date: March 15, 2012 09:28AM

ajh258
RPI really needs to step up its game. It has a good fan base and history, but the quality of hockey has been sucking a lot lately.

First: Their quality of hockey is so bad that they took 3/4 points from Cornell this season. Second: In order to find the last time RPI finished in the top half of the league, you have to go WAYYYY back to 2011. Oh, and 2010, too. Horrible. Kick them out, and force them to move to Montgomery so Alabama-Huntsville has a team to play. Care to guess how many times Brown has finished above 11th place in the past eight seasons?

Who ever said they were leaving? Besides some guy on a message board who suggested the league dump them for another school? Trust me, having been chosen by the ECAC just seven years ago over several other schools who wanted in, Quinnipiac is QUITE happy to be in the ECAC.

So all this thread has accomplished is we've decided to move the ECAC tournament to Atlanta and change to a relegation league. Wonderful. I'm done.

[/mic drop]
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 09:49AM by RichH.

Date: March 15, 2012 09:52AM

RichH
ajh258
RPI really needs to step up its game. It has a good fan base and history, but the quality of hockey has been sucking a lot lately.

First: Their quality of hockey is so bad that they took 3/4 points from Cornell this season. Second: In order to find the last time RPI finished in the top half of the league, you have to go WAYYYY back to 2011. Oh, and 2010, too. Horrible. Kick them out, and force them to move to Montgomery so Alabama-Huntsville has a team to play. Care to guess how many times Brown has finished above 11th place in the past eight seasons?

Who ever said they were leaving? Besides some guy on a message board who suggested the league dump them for another school? Trust me, having been chosen by the ECAC just seven years ago over several other schools who wanted in, Quinnipiac is QUITE happy to be in the ECAC.

So all this thread has accomplished is we've decided to move the ECAC tournament to Atlanta and change to a relegation league. Wonderful. I'm done.

[/mic drop]

Hmmm..... a relegation league? Now that could work. The ECAC should look into implementing that.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (209.68.85.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:58AM

css228
Ben
css228
I was going to respond to you in Russian, but the forum doesn't allow posting with Cyrillic alphabets.

Could we all stay with Gotovet's relatives??

rock

Date: March 15, 2012 10:00AM

RichH
css228

Oh my god, Oh My God, OMG. Just read through my history of posts here, and I've been advocating dropping UNION for RIT for years here. Just because Union happens to be decent for the first time in ever, right this second is no reason to ignore what a drag they are in the league. They are an awful program. The (former) university president (Hull) basically said that the best they should expect was to be a .500 team in the league, and that would be dandy. They are a DIII school with a DIII mentality, and a piss poor arena (akin to a high school gymnasium), with immature fans, and get them the hell out of the ECAC. Quinnipiac at least built a modern rink as a centerpiece to their new campus. QU is essentially moving from being a commuter school to one that is building a campus with a med school as well as a law school.

In summary, leave Quinnipiac alone for now. They are doing some right things. UNION SUCKS. Get them the hell out of our league in exchange straight up for RIT. I'd do that in a heartbeat. I will continue to push this. I just sucks that they happen to be a good team right now. I guarantee they will fall back to the dregs soon enough.
I'd be fine with Union for RIT too. I just don't think there's a realistic shot of them leaving.

Date: March 15, 2012 10:02AM

Johnny 5
css228
Ben
css228

rock
Only about 11 time zones from Belarus to Vladivostok.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2012 10:12AM

css228
Johnny 5
css228
Ben
css228

rock

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Johnny 5 (209.68.85.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 10:17AM

jtwcornell91
css228
Johnny 5
css228
Ben
css228

rock

Does that mean we'd hafta rent a car?

nut

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 10:38AM

css228
I mean, imagine a USCHO forum without RPI's incessant complaints about Schafer. The entire system might collapse.
I didn't realize that we had such power. :-)

Does anyone think that the reason (or one of the reasons) that the ECAC tourney won't be televised is lack of name-recognition of the D-III schools? This possibility was recently raised on the RPI thread on USCHO as a reason that the Ivies might split off.

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 10:51AM

ursusminor
css228
I mean, imagine a USCHO forum without RPI's incessant complaints about Schafer. The entire system might collapse.

Does anyone think that the reason (or one of the reasons) that the ECAC tourney won't be televised is lack of name-recognition of the D-III schools? This possibility was recently raised on the RPI thread on USCHO as a reason that the Ivies might split off.
Y'all are just being paranoid. Trust me - nobody would want to televise the Ivy League Championship Tournament, either.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 15, 2012 11:01AM

Robb
ursusminor
css228

Y'all are just being paranoid. Trust me - nobody would want to televise the Ivy League Championship Tournament, either.

Paranoia about the Ivy League splitting from the rest of the ECAC is an ECAC tradition.

I am one of the few fans who supports the idea, but I do love the tradition of schools like Clarkson, RPI, and SLU that would be lost were the Ivies to leave the ECAC. I have had this debate at least once before on here.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 12:13PM

jtn27
As I stated earlier, I think a NYC location would be ideal so I looked into what arenas are in NY other than MSG and the Barclays. A good choice might be St. John's Carnesecca Arena, which seats 5,600. It's a basketball arena, not a hockey arena (I don't know too much about the conversion process, but it should be feasible)
In a thread full of ridiculous things, this stands out as the most insane. You need some better google skills. St. John's Carnesecca Arena has the word "Arena" in its name but it is a GYM. This is like saying that hockey should move from Lynah to the Newman "ARENA" because how hard could the conversion be?

Date: March 15, 2012 12:21PM

ugarte
jtn27
As I stated earlier, I think a NYC location would be ideal so I looked into what arenas are in NY other than MSG and the Barclays. A good choice might be St. John's Carnesecca Arena, which seats 5,600. It's a basketball arena, not a hockey arena (I don't know too much about the conversion process, but it should be feasible)
In a thread full of ridiculous things, this stands out as the most insane. You need some better google skills. St. John's Carnesecca Arena has the word "Arena" in its name but it is a GYM. This is like saying that hockey should move from Lynah to the Newman "ARENA" because how hard could the conversion be?

Like I said, I know nothing about the conversions process. I just know that it can be done. I'll take your word for it that it wouldn't work well.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 12:35PM

RichH
ajh258

Seriously!?

This.

Date: March 15, 2012 12:35PM

ugarte
jtn27
I'll gladly take credit for most of the insanity. Vladivostok 2014! IF we're going to be irrelevant we might as well be epic and irrelevant!

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: March 15, 2012 01:00PM

jtn27
ugarte
jtn27

Like I said, I know nothing about the conversions process. I just know that it can be done. I'll take your word for it that it wouldn't work well.
The most basic thing that you need is to have designed the arena to be convertible and multi-purpose from the start. You can't take any place that hosts hoops and turn it into a hockey rink or vice versa. Your assumption that it "should be feasible" is based on nothing but a handful of wishes.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 01:31PM

I just wanted to mention that Boardwalk Hall in AC is possibly the most beautiful building in which I have ever watched a sporting event, and I encourage everyone to get there at least once to appreciate the building - and I am not an architect.

As a Philly area resident, I think that Philadelphia is a wonderful host for a variety of events - National Championships for Curling and Table Tennis were great successes - and I think it would be a COMPLETE FAILURE for the ECACs. No novelty factor and no local interest. It would be less significant than World Team Tennis, semi-pro football, or local High School swimming. Trenton has an ECHL team in an 8500 seat arena and it would be a better choice - commuter train ride from NYC and Philly...although it has the same geographical issue as Philly and AC.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 01:32PM by nshapiro.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2012 01:35PM

nshapiro
I just wanted to mention that Boardwalk Hall in AC is possibly the most beautiful building in which I have ever watched a sporting event, and I encourage everyone to get there at least once to appreciate the building - and I am not an architect.

I'll agree with that. And I think the ice problems last year were related to the weather, not the facilities - which unfortunately means we're likely to see more of the same this year, but so be it.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 02:38PM

Beeeej
nshapiro

I'll agree with that. And I think the ice problems last year were related to the weather, not the facilities - which unfortunately means we're likely to see more of the same this year, but so be it.

I'd argue this one, Beeeej. If you're going to play hockey in March you need to be able to handle temps that are up. The facility can be made to accomodate the weather. Not that you need to plan on Florida temps, but should handle 70s.

Weather Channel for AC:

Fri 69/54 30%
Sat 59/46 20%

Date: March 15, 2012 03:46PM

ugarte
jtn27
ugarte
jtn27

The most basic thing that you need is to have designed the arena to be convertible and multi-purpose from the start. You can't take any place that hosts hoops and turn it into a hockey rink or vice versa. Your assumption that it "should be feasible" is based on nothing but a handful of wishes.

Ok, that brings me back to my original question: are there any arenas in NYC other than MSG and the Barclays that are equipped to host a hockey game? (And this time I would appreciate it if no one responded with a picture of Rockefeller Center. It was funny the first time, it won't be the second time).

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 15, 2012 03:49PM

jtn27
ugarte
jtn27
ugarte
jtn27

Ok, that brings me back to my original question: are there any arenas in NYC other than MSG and the Barclays that are equipped to host a hockey game? (And this time I would appreciate it if no one responded with a picture of Rockefeller Center. It was funny the first time, it won't be the second time).

Is Bridgeport considered a suburb of NYC?

Date: March 15, 2012 03:55PM

Rita
jtn27
ugarte
jtn27
ugarte
jtn27

Is Bridgeport considered a suburb of NYC?

Yes, in the same way Uniondale is. But the whole reason I think NYC is ideal is that NYC is a destination the way Bridgeport and Uniondale are not.

Posted by: BMac (---.demarc.cogentco.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 04:31PM

Sky rink at Chelsea piers!

From their website:

"Sky Rink, the only year-round indoor ice skating facility in New York City, is available for TV segments, photo shoots, events on and off the ice, or anything else you envision."

SOUNDS GREAT!!!

"Sky Rink features two ice skating rinks, one of which includes seating for 800 people..."

D'oh!

Date: March 15, 2012 05:12PM

css228
Ben
css228

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 06:59PM

You beat me to it, BMac.

I think the answer is probably that there are a number of rinks in NYC where one can play hockey but not so much "arenas" with reasonable seating capacity.

Side note: Chelsea Piers was the site on the worst zamboni-ing that I have ever seen (a dozen years ago). The guy seemed to drive in random arcs across the ice surface in no discernible pattern. It was like "Oh look, there's a rough patch of ice! Better drive over to it!".

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2012 07:36PM

KeithK
You beat me to it, BMac.

I think the answer is probably that there are a number of rinks in NYC where one can play hockey but not so much "arenas" with reasonable seating capacity.

Side note: Chelsea Piers was the site on the worst zamboni-ing that I have ever seen (a dozen years ago). The guy seemed to drive in random arcs across the ice surface in no discernible pattern. It was like "Oh look, there's a rough patch of ice! Better drive over to it!".

Chelsea Piers, site of many Columbia-Penn hockey games.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.sri.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 08:39PM

css228
ugarte
jtn27
I'll gladly take credit for most of the insanity. Vladivostok 2014! IF we're going to be irrelevant we might as well be epic and irrelevant!

You want epic and irrelevant then vote for Newt!

Tranquility Base 2016!

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:57PM

nshapiro
I just wanted to mention that Boardwalk Hall in AC is possibly the most beautiful building in which I have ever watched a sporting event, and I encourage everyone to get there at least once to appreciate the building - and I am not an architect. As a Philly area resident, I think that Philadelphia is a wonderful host for a variety of events - National Championships for Curling and Table Tennis were great successes - and I think it would be a COMPLETE FAILURE for the ECACs. No novelty factor and no local interest. It would be less significant than World Team Tennis, semi-pro football, or local High School swimming. Trenton has an ECHL team in an 8500 seat arena and it would be a better choice - commuter train ride from NYC and Philly...although it has the same geographical issue as Philly and AC.
Newark has muggers and mass transit and it's closer than Trenton.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 10:22PM

adamw
Quinnipiac does fill its building, but I was at two Q home games this year that were listed as sellouts, with hundreds of fans disguised as empty seats. I suppose the tickets had been sold, but it didn't mean the building was filled!

Date: March 15, 2012 10:49PM

jtn27
If your two criteria for how to select an arena for the tournament are:
1) It's centrally located - I would amend this to include that it's near a large alumni base.
2) The city it's located in has family friendly destinations and attractions
Then I think there's only one arena that fits the bill: Madison Square Garden. However, I think we can all agree that's unrealistic (and debatably even a bad thing because it won't even be close to selling out). Since that's the case, the league is stuck in the unenviable position of needing to pick the rink which is the least reprehensible.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion here (and I was unable to attend AC last year, so maybe I'll change my opinion in a week), but I think Atlantic City is probably the best option. The league chose to eschew the game being centrally located (meaning in upstate NY or New England) in favor of being within driving distance of the large alumni bases in New York and Philadelphia (I know Cornell has a lot of alums in these 2 cities, and, while I don't know for sure, I think it's safe to assume that the other Ivies do too. I don't know about the other smaller schools in the ECAC though). And being unable to find any feasible rink in a city with family friendly attractions, it settled for just having attractions, instead of nothing at all.
Maybe the ECAC and the Boardwalk Arena thought it would attract casino visitors and general hockey fans.

In hindsight, Albany is the least undesirable tournament location. Let's see if the ECAC and Boardwalk Arena call it quits after 2 of the 3 contracted years.

Date: March 15, 2012 10:51PM

dbilmes
adamw
Quinnipiac does fill its building, but I was at two Q home games this year that were listed as sellouts, with hundreds of fans disguised as empty seats. I suppose the tickets had been sold, but it didn't mean the building was filled!
Q fans leave after 2 if there's a party somewhere afterwards. There always is.

Date: March 15, 2012 11:33PM

billhoward
dbilmes
adamw
Q fans leave after 2 if there's a party somewhere afterwards. There always is.

My brother goes to Quinnipiac. From what he's told me there's a large standing area in the arena that the students like to stand in rather than sit in their seats. That could explain why a lot of Q games are listed as sold out but there are so many empty seats. Also, I know for a fact that the Yale-Q game sold out because he tried to get a ticket but there were none left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 11:35PM by jtn27.

Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 01:45AM

RichH
Rita

Ford Field.

Let's just go way outside the box and keeping going all the way to Vegas, that's what AC wants to be anyway. It works for lower tier college bball tourneys why not college hockey. The Orleans Arena seats 9500 and hosts an ECHL team. Go to a WCHA style tourney so you get fans from 6 teams instead of 4. If you can't get 10000 people to go to Vegas you aren't going to get them to go to city not named Boston or NY in the northeast...

In all seriousness if you can't have it at a destination people want to go to you might as well have the highest seed host it. Put a minimum on the number of seats your arena has to have, if the highest seeds arena doesn't have enough seats then it goes to the next highest seed. If all the arenas are too small you aren't going to get enough fans anyway so just have it at the highest seed. Maybe it will motivate some schools to build bigger areans (...doubtful).

Date: March 16, 2012 02:15AM

Honestly, I don't mind AC except for the horrible ice surface.

Date: March 16, 2012 08:52AM

mikek
In all seriousness if you can't have it at a destination people want to go to you might as well have the highest seed host it. Put a minimum on the number of seats your arena has to have, if the highest seeds arena doesn't have enough seats then it goes to the next highest seed. If all the arenas are too small you aren't going to get enough fans anyway so just have it at the highest seed. Maybe it will motivate some schools to build bigger areans (...doubtful).

This is actually probably the best solution (and as an added bonus it probably means lots of games at Lynah).

Posted by: PetuniaLiCicero (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 08:58AM

WOW I haven't posted on here in over 10 years.
I feel like the whole point being missed on this thread is that the audience for the ECAC Championship game on television is MINISCULE. As in if a Polish language talk show was being aired, it would get similar ratings.
I noticed the MAAC basketball conference tournament was not televised in the New York area for the first time in I would guess 20 years.
I'm sure that gets higher ratings than ECAC hockey (though miniscule as well).
I will be in Atlantic City on Saturday. Anyone complaining about the lack of exposure of the games can get in a car and watch the games in person. While Atlantic City is not centrally located, it is not prohibitively far to drive from northeast locations. If you are that passionate about it, go to Boardwalk Hall.

Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 10:36AM

Looks like the ECAC has just given up promoting the games altogether. Went to the site to confirm the game times and this is what I got:

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 12:46PM

PetuniaLiCicero
Anyone complaining about the lack of exposure of the games can get in a car and watch the games in person. While Atlantic City is not centrally located, it is not prohibitively far to drive from northeast locations. If you are that passionate about it, go to Boardwalk Hall.
It is prohibitively far for those of us stuck on the west coast, for example.

Date: March 16, 2012 01:25PM

KeithK
PetuniaLiCicero
Anyone complaining about the lack of exposure of the games can get in a car and watch the games in person. While Atlantic City is not centrally located, it is not prohibitively far to drive from northeast locations. If you are that passionate about it, go to Boardwalk Hall.
It is prohibitively far for those of us stuck on the west coast, for example.
Too bad you can't make it. We need the numnbers. I fear the Cornell section risks being outnumbered by Harvard students now heading to Atlantic City, their Crimsanity hoops dreams crushed and returning to the first love, ice hockey. That's why Bright Center only drew 900 fans for Sunday's deciding game against Yale.

Posted by: dag14 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 04:42PM

The ECAC webmaster must have slept in this morning because the games that were not posted at 10:30 are up now.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 10:37PM

Thank goodness that debacle wasn't televised.

Posted by: dbilmes (74.11.242.---)
Date: March 16, 2012 10:41PM

scoop85
The first semifinal wasn't much better, so it would have been bad PR for the ECAC if thousands of college hockey fans watched these two games tonight.

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 11:56AM

scoop85
I agree. I may have been really critical, but even I can see the silver lining in that.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login