Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Quarterfinal Choices-The Real Ones

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Quarterfinal Choices-The Real Ones
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2012 09:48PM

OK, OK hold the cheers. All my wishes came true. What do you think about next weekend? Here's my choices.

RPI @ Union
Dartmouth @ Cornell
Yale @ Harvard
Quinnipiac @ Colgate

And thanks to snert1288 and gatefan for the info on the broadcasts. Watching tonight was fun.

And how could you all not crap on me when I labeled the other thread as Quarterfinal Choices?dribble

Re: Quarterfinal Choices-The Real Ones
Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2012 09:54PM

Jim Hyla
OK, OK hold the cheers. All my wishes came true. What do you think about next weekend? Here's my choices.

RPI @ Union
Dartmouth @ Cornell
Yale @ Harvard
Quinnipiac @ Colgate

And thanks to snert1288 and gatefan for the info on the broadcasts. Watching tonight was fun.

And how could you all not crap on me when I labeled the other thread as Quarterfinal Choices?dribble
Flip Qpac and Colgate. Colgate may be close enough to the TUC cliff that if they get swept they may fall off.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 10:07PM

1-Union vs 10-RPI
2-Cornell vs 9-Dartmouth
3-Harvard vs 6-Yale
4-Colgate vs 5-Quinnipiac

The most delicious weekend in Atlantic City would be for the top 3 or top 4 seeds to advance in the QFs, Cornell to have the late game Friday, take down Harvard, and then beat Union Saturday for the title. Union deserves at shot at the NCAAs and might be good enough to advance past the first round of NCAAs.

When hosting the QF, Cornell has failed to advance to Lake Placid/Albany/AC how many times in addition to the painful Clarkson series? I can't see Union or Cornell not taking 2 of 3 at home from 9/10 seeds. Harvard seems the weakest host team in the QFs.

Posted by: bnr24 (---.dhcp.drexel.edu)
Date: March 04, 2012 10:10PM

Jim Hyla

RPI @ Union
Dartmouth @ Cornell
Yale @ Harvard
Quinnipiac @ Colgate

I'm going with Cornell, Harvard, and Quinnipiac. I'm not sure whether to go with RPI or Union. Both on who I'd rather win and who I think would be more likely to win...

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2012 10:17PM

RPI in 3
Cornell in 2
Yale in 3
Quinnipiac in 3

Unfortunately, this means we have to face RPI at 4pm on Friday at Atlantic City.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 10:26PM

billhoward
1-Union vs 10-RPI
2-Cornell vs 9-Dartmouth
3-Harvard vs 6-Yale
4-Colgate vs 5-Quinnipiac

The most delicious weekend in Atlantic City would be for the top 3 or top 4 seeds to advance in the QFs, Cornell to have the late game Friday, take down Harvard, and then beat Union Saturday for the title. Union deserves at shot at the NCAAs and might be good enough to advance past the first round of NCAAs.

When hosting the QF, Cornell has failed to advance to Lake Placid/Albany/AC how many times in addition to the painful Clarkson series? I can't see Union or Cornell not taking 2 of 3 at home from 9/10 seeds. Harvard seems the weakest host team in the QFs.

The only other such instance is the 2007 loss to Quinnipiac. Prior to the final weekend moving to LP, Cornell lost home quarterfinals in 1988 (split two games with Clarkson, lost mini-game) and 1978 (lost single-game quarterfinal to Providence).

Posted by: gatefan (149.43.221.---)
Date: March 04, 2012 10:42PM

Union in 3
Cornell in 2
Yale in 3
Colgate in 3

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 04, 2012 10:47PM

RPI @ Union
Dartmouth @ Cornell
Yale @ Harvard
Quinnipiac @ Colgate

I don't want RPI to win because that would mean we would face them in the semi-final, something we obviously don't want. Additionally, I'd like to see Colgate get knocked out, plus we match-up well with Quinnipiac (another plus is a QU sweep may cost Colgate its TUC status). As for Yale and Harvard, I don't really care all that much. However, Yale winning and becoming a TUC would help us, and any scenario where Harvard loses is good.

Posted by: snert1288 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 11:22PM

Since it seems to be ok to discuss PWR potentials, UMass is hanging on by a thread. If they lose their next game they should fall out of TUC, in which case Colgate dropping out would bring us to 5-1-3 against TUC. A great record, but below 10 games so we would need another game against Union, Harvard, or Quinnipiac (or Yale maybe?). Should be an interesting next few weeks.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 05, 2012 08:26AM

snert1288
Since it seems to be ok to discuss PWR potentials, UMass is hanging on by a thread. If they lose their next game they should fall out of TUC, in which case Colgate dropping out would bring us to 5-1-3 against TUC. A great record, but below 10 games so we would need another game against Union, Harvard, or Quinnipiac (or Yale maybe?). Should be an interesting next few weeks.

And UMass is playing BC in the first round. They'll be dropping out after this coming weekend.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2012 10:53AM

Union in 2
Cornell in 2
Yale in 3
Colgate in 2

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2012 11:03AM

If the RPI phobia is because they have good goaltending and are therefore dangerous in a 1-game series, I understand it. In my opinion we outplayed them in 4 periods out of 6 and lost the season series on a deflection. As I said on a different thread,only once in 12 years have we not gotten a W from them in a season. They are playing with house money now and are grateful to get out of the first round, and if they lose game 1 they're cooked. I agree with those who think they CAN beat Union in the QF series, but I think chances of that are about 30%.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2012 11:37AM

RPI-Union
Yale-Harvard
Quinnipiac-Colgate

These are probably more along the lines of wishful thinking than pure logic. Selfishly, I want a chance at a Harvard-Cornell game in Atlantic City (considering that I am going to be there). I have been to many Cornell-Harvard games but I have not been to one in the ECAC Championship series. I missed (thankfully?) seeing the 2008 ECAC Championship Semifinal contest between Cornell and Harvard during my first year on the Hill.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: March 05, 2012 11:42AM

Jim Hyla

I took "Quarterfinal Choices" to mean "who would you like to play in the Quarterfinals," so it made sense to me. What we're doing here, I usually call these "picks" or "predictions," instead of "choices," but that's just me.

Union in 2
Cornell in 3
Harvard in 3
Colgate in 2

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 05, 2012 01:06PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

I took "Quarterfinal Choices" to mean "who would you like to play in the Quarterfinals," so it made sense to me. What we're doing here, I usually call these "picks" or "predictions," instead of "choices," but that's just me.

Jeez, there's always that one guy... ;)

Respect for the Hockey Gods prevents me from speculating about who advances.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 05, 2012 01:28PM

Trotsky
RichH
Jim Hyla

Jeez, there's always that one guy... ;)

I just figured it was my turn...

Date: March 05, 2012 01:34PM

Trotsky

The reason why I refuse to make a prediction on here about the Dartmouth-Cornell series.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 05, 2012 03:39PM

Trotsky

Respect for the ESPN experts demands that I follow their lead and speculate about who advances.

Date: March 05, 2012 03:43PM

jtn27
Trotsky

Respect for the ESPN experts demands that I follow their lead and speculate about who advances.
I think you're mistaking ESPN with an organization that cares about hockey.

Date: March 05, 2012 04:11PM

css228
jtn27
Trotsky

I mean in general. For all sports.

Date: March 05, 2012 04:21PM

jtn27
css228
jtn27
Trotsky

All sports? Oh, you mean basketball. Then, there's the hard-hitting coverage of basketball. Don't forget basketball. For variety, they'll throw in a report on Tiger Woods and that sport that Tiger Woods plays before your college hoops rundown. Then they'll talk about the NFL Draft for a minute before showing you the much anticipated Top 10 Dunks and finally closing the show with "Something LeBron Did."

Date: March 05, 2012 04:25PM

RichH
jtn27
css228
jtn27
Trotsky

All sports? Oh, you mean basketball. Then, there's the hard-hitting coverage of basketball. Don't forget basketball. For variety, they'll throw in a report on Tiger Woods and that sport that Tiger Woods plays before your college hoops rundown. Then they'll talk about the NFL Draft for a minute before showing you the much anticipated Top 10 Dunks and finally closing the show with "Something LeBron Did."

Don't forget Tim Tebow, and the crack criminal investigation and criminal defense coverage teams they have to cover child abuse allegations at universities. They focus on what they are clearly qualified to discuss. Sports journalistic standards, you know.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 05, 2012 04:53PM

Speaking of ESPN's excessive moralism. Not that I condone bounties in football, but it seems like ESPN can't go two weeks without calling for someone's head. Meanwhile, when they had the Bernie fine tapes, they did nothing for 10 years.

Date: March 05, 2012 05:42PM

Three words that would prove ESPN cares about college hockey: Assign. Erin. Andrews.

Date: March 05, 2012 06:04PM

billhoward
Three words that would prove ESPN cares about college hockey: Assign. Erin. Andrews.
That or they could get INCH to publish more than one thing a day

Posted by: releck97 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 05, 2012 06:08PM

css228
billhoward
I guess I miss the correlation with Erin Andrews here...

Date: March 05, 2012 06:32PM

releck97
css228
billhoward
INCH is an ESPN affiliate.

Date: March 05, 2012 06:37PM

css228
releck97
css228
billhoward
INCH is an ESPN affiliate.
oh, nevermind doh

Date: March 05, 2012 06:43PM

releck97
css228
billhoward

Erin Andrews is ESPN's top sideline "reporter" (I use that term loosely). She only covers sports that ESPN cares about (so not college hockey).

Date: March 05, 2012 07:09PM

jtn27
releck97
css228
billhoward

Erin Andrews is ESPN's top sideline "reporter" (I use that term loosely). She only covers sports that ESPN cares about (so not college hockey).

I still don't see the similarities...

Date: March 05, 2012 07:31PM

releck97
jtn27
releck97
css228
billhoward

I still don't see the similarities...
There are simpler things they can do than assign Erin Andrews to cover the sport. They could just write about it more.

Date: March 05, 2012 08:07PM

css228
Speaking of ESPN's excessive moralism. Not that I condone bounties in football, but it seems like ESPN can't go two weeks without calling for someone's head. Meanwhile, when they had the Bernie fine tapes, they did nothing for 10 years.

Thank you for pointing that out. Most did not recognize that fact.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2012 10:55PM

billhoward
Erin is actually really good at hockey. She was the by the bench reporter for the Tampa Bay Lightning's first round playoff series in 2004 (ESPN's last year) and really knew her stuff and could interview people with good questions without a script. The ESPN brass was impressed and kept advancing her to subsequent playoff series, all the way through to the Lightning winning the Cup. Then ESPN dropped hockey, Erin moved to college football and the rest is history.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 09, 2012 08:02AM

Here's Ken Schott's choices:

RPI (No. 10) at Union (No. 1) — Union wins series in 3 by scores of 2-3, 4-2 and 5-2.
Quinnipiac (No. 5) at Colgate (No. 4) — Quinnipiac wins in 3 by scores of, 3-1, 2-5 and 3-2.
Yale (No. 6) at Harvard (No. 3) — Yale wins in 3 by scores of 4-1, 1-2 and 5-3.
Dartmouth (No. 9) at Cornell (No. 2) — Cornell wins in 2 by scores of 3-1 and 1-0.

CHN picks all higher seeds in 3.

USCHO picks:

Union in 3. ( 4-2, 1-2 (OT), 4-1).
Cornell in 2. (4-1, 6-2)
Yale in 3 (4-2, 3-4, 5-4 (OT)
Colgate in 3 (3-1, 3-4, 5-3).

INCH doesn't pick, but here's their analysis.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2012 12:14PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: March 09, 2012 08:14AM

Jim Hyla

RPI (No. 10) at Union (No. 1) — Union wins series in 3 by scores of 2-3, 4-2 and 5-2.
Quinnipiac (No. 5) at Colgate (No. 4) — Quinnipiac wins in 3 by scores of, 3-1, 2-5 and 3-2.
Dartmouth (No. 9) at Cornell (No. 2) — Cornell wins in 2 by scores of 3

USCHO picks:

Cornell in 2. (4-1, 6-2)

Why do these analysts try to pick scores? Nobody does that in anything other than football, and that's simply for gambling entertainment purposes.

Date: March 09, 2012 08:31AM

Jordan 04
Jim Hyla

USCHO picks:

Cornell in 2. (4-1, 6-2)

Why do these analysts try to pick scores? Nobody does that in anything other than football, and that's simply for gambling entertainment purposes.

For fun?

Our score predictions concern me a little. 3 to undefined?

Date: March 09, 2012 08:35AM

Trotsky
Jordan 04
Jim Hyla

USCHO picks:

Cornell in 2. (4-1, 6-2)

For fun?

Maybe Schott thinks Iles will go on a Scrivens-esque shutout playoff run like the 2010 ECAC Tournament.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 09, 2012 09:27AM

Jordan 04
Why not? Sports is entertainment (viz Erin Andrews). It's another way of saying it's going to be a high- or low-scoring game. If the writer picks the score right, he looks smart. The only thing easier would be to say a Europe soccer score will be one-nil or 2-1. Against Dartmouth, a 4-1 score sounds about right: 3 goal margin, we somehow manage to not get a shutout (man short? against? deflects off defender?).

Do we really have the easiest path to Atlantic City? MOre people are picking Cornell in 2 but not Union.

Date: March 09, 2012 09:54AM

billhoward
Do we really have the easiest path to Atlantic City? MOre people are picking Cornell in 2 but not Union.
Since 20 Jan RPI is 8-5-2. Union hammered them 3 times but all of those games were prior to that run. The Engineers are perceived as more dangerous than Dartmouth; that's why fewer people are picking Union to sweep.

As for us, who knows? Nothing is impossible and nothing is easy for this team.

Date: March 09, 2012 11:16AM

Trotsky
billhoward
Since 20 Jan RPI is 8-5-2. Union hammered them 3 times but all of those games were prior to that run. The Engineers are perceived as more dangerous than Dartmouth; that's why fewer people are picking Union to sweep.

As for us, who knows? Nothing is impossible and nothing is easy for this team.

Let's not forget that Cornell won late at Thompson, Dartmouth took them to OT at Lynah, and their coach has a history of making sure his teams "get physical" to use a nice euphemism. I'm not expecting a cakewalk. And I really hope our skaters don't take the bait when it does turn rough.

Date: March 09, 2012 11:22AM

RichH
And I really hope our skaters don't take the bait when it does turn rough.
The secret to playing any Bob Gaudet team, all the way back to his Brown days, is not to get frustrated and take the retaliation penalty. The way to punish them for all the late hits and cheap shots and general cheese is to put the puck in the net.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2012 11:23AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2012 12:16PM

Trotsky
Jordan 04
Jim Hyla

USCHO picks:

Cornell in 2. (4-1, 6-2)

For fun?

My bad. I didn't copy correctly. His scores are: Cornell wins in 2 by scores of 3-1 and 1-0.

Date: March 09, 2012 02:27PM

Jordan 04

Because you look like a genius if you get it right, but if you get it wrong you can just say "Well the odds weren't in my favor. Of course I got it wrong."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login