Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Quarterfinal Choices

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Quarterfinal Choices
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2012 05:43PM

So here are my wishes:

No. 12 Brown at No. 5 Quinnipiac
No. 11 Princeton at No. 6 Yale
No. 10 Rensselaer at No. 7 Clarkson
No. 9 Dartmouth at No. 8 St. Lawrence

I don't care about Dartmouth/SLU. My choices are basically based on wanting to se a Union/RPI match-up. I think that would be exciting, TW might carry it, and it's the best shot for someone to beat Union.

So, what are your choices?

Re: Quarterfinal Choices
Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 26, 2012 06:05PM

It doesn't matter all that much to me. I don't think there's a team in the league that can beat us in a 3 game series other than maybe Union, who we wouldn't see until the final anyway. I guess if I had to pick I would say Quinnipiac (although again that wouldn't be until Atlantic City). We match up well against them. Also, on a personal note, my younger brother is a student at QU, so if we eliminate them from the playoffs 2 years in a row, I get extra bragging rights.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2012 06:09PM

No. 10 Rensselaer at No. 7 Clarkson
No. 9 Dartmouth at No. 8 St. Lawrence

Awkwardly similar to Jim's picks, but these are what I would pick as well.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 26, 2012 07:36PM

I'm going to go with all of the favorites.

RPI is hot, but I really think Casey will have Clarkson ready (and Karpowich can be unstoppable).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 05:46PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2012 08:24PM

When we got back from Ithaca this afternoon I mentioned to Janice that I was putting my hockey glasses away for the season. (assuming no road trip to a regional) After reading your post I realized I should be rooting for RPI so as to extend live viewing interest in Schenectady.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2012 11:50AM

jtn27
I don't think there's a team in the league that can beat us in a 3 game series...

I'm not sure I share that sentiment, after seeing us get swept by Colgate in a home-and-home. Cornell tends to be awfully good in the QF round, but teams get hot. See, e.g., 2004 and 2007.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 12:30PM

Beeeej
jtn27
I don't think there's a team in the league that can beat us in a 3 game series...

I'm not sure I share that sentiment, after seeing us get swept by Colgate in a home-and-home. Cornell tends to be awfully good in the QF round, but teams get hot. See, e.g., 2004 and 2007.
2007 the team had already packed up and headed to the golf course before they dropped the puck, they would have lost to Little Sisters of the Poor.

2004 never happened.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 27, 2012 02:17PM

Beeeej
jtn27

Austin Smith is the type of player who can say "get on my back, boys," and carry a team through the playoffs. I don't want to see Colgate. (And won't have to until AC, potentially)

Most of the time when CU's offense has been frustrated, it was mostly due to a solid defensive effort. With one particular opponent, however, Cornell didn't have much trouble at all getting through the defense, but just got stymied over and over by their goaltender. I feel that Clarkson's Karpowich is very effective against our style, and has frustrated our forwards more than anyone else. In 2 games, 130 minutes, and 60 shots, we have 1 goal against him. In Florida, Clarkson played the backup who allowed 4 goals on 27 shots. Yeah, I'm nervous about facing Karpowich. Granted, he's had some stinkers late in the season, and he's the league leader in minutes (and saves) by far, so perhaps fatigue could be a factor. With no upsets, that's who we get.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: February 27, 2012 02:26PM

jtn27
\I don't think there's a team in the league that can't beat us in a 3 game series other than maybe Union, who we wouldn't see until the final anyway.

FYP. If the season has shown us anything, it's that pretty much anybody in the league can beat us. (Or at least tie us!). And while 3 games lessens the chance of an upset by a team with less talent on paper, let's not pretend it eliminates it.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 27, 2012 05:56PM

Jordan 04
jtn27
\I don't think there's a team in the league that can't beat us in a 3 game series other than maybe Union, who we wouldn't see until the final anyway.

FYP. If the season has shown us anything, it's that pretty much anybody in the league can beat us. (Or at least tie us!). And while 3 games lessens the chance of an upset by a team with less talent on paper, let's not pretend it eliminates it.
I think it's a fair statement that there isn't a single team in the bottom half of the league that should be able to beat us in a three game series at Lynah. Doesn't mean that it can't happen if we don't play well.

Posted by: snert1288 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 08:19PM

Then again is there any team in the league where you would go in feeling that Cornell was overmatched? While it appears that Cornell can lose to (tie) any team, I am also confident that Cornell can beat anyone in this league. Even Colgate, who we arguably looked worst against, I would bet that Cornell takes care of business.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 27, 2012 08:34PM

KeithK
Jordan 04
jtn27

I think it's a fair statement that there isn't a single team in the bottom half of the league that should be able to beat us in a three game series at Lynah. Doesn't mean that it can't happen if we don't play well.

I agree that is a fair statement.

That wasn't in any way the statement that was made by the poster I quoted.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 27, 2012 08:45PM

Jordan 04

Absolutely correct.

Date: February 27, 2012 10:19PM

Jordan 04
KeithK
Jordan 04
jtn27

You're right. I guess I was a little over confident. Amendment: There isn't a team that we might face in the 2nd round of the playoffs that can beat us in a 3 game series as long as we play as well as we can.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 09:11PM

I'll be dang, Brown wins 4-1 at Q. Dartmouth takes game 1 at SLU (6-3), and RPI is on it way (5-1) to taking game 1 from Clarkson. Yale is the only team to win on home ice (4-2)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 09:21PM

RPI does win 5-1. So if these results held for the series, we would get:

1-Union vs 12-Brown
2-Cornell vs 10-RPI
3-Harvard vs 9-Dartmouth
4-Colgate vs 6-Yale

Date: March 02, 2012 09:22PM

Trotsky

1-Union vs 12-Brown
2-Cornell vs 10-RPI
3-Harvard vs 9-Dartmouth
4-Colgate vs 6-Yale

Maybe not getting the #1 seed isn't so bad. At least we will avoid Brown in the QF's!

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2012 09:47PM

Rita
Trotsky

1-Union vs 12-Brown
2-Cornell vs 10-RPI
3-Harvard vs 9-Dartmouth
4-Colgate vs 6-Yale

Maybe not getting the #1 seed isn't so bad. At least we will avoid Brown in the QF's!

But getting RPI would be no picnic, as we have a tie and a loss with them, and they are clearly riding a hot streak.

Date: March 02, 2012 10:59PM

Rita
Trotsky

1-Union vs 12-Brown
2-Cornell vs 10-RPI
3-Harvard vs 9-Dartmouth
4-Colgate vs 6-Yale

I'd rather face Brown than RPI.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.dhcp.drexel.edu)
Date: March 02, 2012 11:11PM

jtn27
Rita
Trotsky

1-Union vs 12-Brown
2-Cornell vs 10-RPI
3-Harvard vs 9-Dartmouth
4-Colgate vs 6-Yale

Well, that cannot happen.

The loss to Brown early in the season was one in which Brown bested our team in a thorough team effort. The recent overtime loss to RPI was one in which a late-game defensive collapse cost us a win or a tie. We were playing without crucial, "creative" players on offense during the last two weeks. We will not be in the ECAC Quarterfinals. I am not sure which team to fear most, but I think phobia of any of them is disproportionate as well.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2012 11:12PM

jtn27
Rita
Trotsky

1-Union vs 12-Brown
2-Cornell vs 10-RPI
3-Harvard vs 9-Dartmouth
4-Colgate vs 6-Yale

Especially given that weak 1-3-1 we saw at Lynah.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 01:51PM

We're not the only team with injury problems. Princeton only had 16 skaters suit up for its game last night against Yale.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 05:49PM by dbilmes.

Posted by: gatefan (149.43.221.---)
Date: March 03, 2012 03:23PM

dbilmes
We're not the only team with injury problems. Princeton only had 16 skaters suit up for its game last night against Yale.

I wonder if it's their strength and conditioning program that is the problem. They've struggled with injuries throughout the past 3 years, failing to return to being the force they were in 07-08 and 08-09.

Date: March 03, 2012 03:44PM

dbilmes
This article was linked at the sidebar. This is a joke, right?

Date: March 03, 2012 04:37PM

Trotsky
dbilmes

Hand is the name of a high school in Connecticut. So it should really have said "Hand High School, wrestling."

Date: March 03, 2012 05:21PM

gatefan
Trotsky
dbilmes

Hand is the name of a high school in Connecticut. So it should really have said "Hand High School, wrestling."

1-2-3-4 I declare a thumb war!

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 05:45PM

Trotsky
dbilmes
I just clicked on the link in my original post, and it still brought me to the Yale-Princeton game story, so I don't know why it was bringing you to the Athlete of the Week story. This is the link to the game story.

Date: March 03, 2012 06:19PM

dbilmes
Trotsky
dbilmes
I just clicked on the link in my original post, and it still brought me to the Yale-Princeton game story, so I don't know why it was bringing you to the Athlete of the Week story. This is the link to the game story.
Your original link was fine, there was another story to the right that drew my magpie-like attention.

Date: March 03, 2012 09:21PM

Dartmouth sweeps St. Lawrence and moves forward to the QF.

Re: Quarterfinal Results_Sat 3/3
Date: March 03, 2012 09:24PM

Dartmouth advances to the QFs.

RPI and Clarkson tied at 3 and headed to OT. I haven't been paying close attention to the game, but some (more) game misconducts and RPI starting OT with over 4 min of PP time.

Q beats Brown, so game 3 tomorrow.

Latest Princeton - Yale score is tied at 4 in the 3rd.

Date: March 03, 2012 09:39PM

Princeton beats Yale in overtime, despite having skated just 16 players for both nights.

Date: March 03, 2012 10:04PM

More bonus hockey from Potsdam; Clarkson - RPI will need (at least) a 2nd OT period.

Free audio on WRPI. Thank you Engineers :).

Date: March 03, 2012 10:14PM

Rita
More bonus hockey from Potsdam; Clarkson - RPI will need (at least) a 2nd OT period.

Free audio on WRPI. Thank you Engineers :).

So what, I've been with free audio from Clarkson all night. RPI sucks.:-D

Date: March 03, 2012 10:52PM

Clarkson-RPI headed to triple overtime.

Date: March 03, 2012 10:53PM

Trotsky

popcorn banana banana popcorn

Date: March 03, 2012 11:03PM

Rita
Trotsky

I can't imagine this lasting too much longer. Of course we could just get to the point where people are so exhausted the cant put the puck on net anymore.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2012 11:05PM

Trotsky

Play until Friday!

Date: March 03, 2012 11:30PM

Clk Wins

Date: March 03, 2012 11:30PM

Wow, Clarkson wins in 3OT. Can't imagine RPI winning the series after that stomach punch.

Date: March 03, 2012 11:31PM

css228
Rita
Trotsky

I can't imagine this lasting too much longer. Of course we could just get to the point where people are so exhausted the cant put the puck on net anymore.

I guess you missed the Union-Yale 5 OT game of 2006 ;-).

But, even though this is the longest game in RPI history, the Union-Yale record is safe for another night. Clarkson wins. Game 3 tomorrow.

Date: March 03, 2012 11:32PM

css228
Wow, Clarkson wins in 3OT. Can't imagine RPI winning the series after that stomach punch.
Sounded like Clarkson won on a flukey play (Merriam failed to cover a post), after RPI was really controlling play.

Date: March 03, 2012 11:44PM

Trotsky
css228
Sounded like Clarkson won on a flukey play (Merriam failed to cover a post), after RPI was really controlling play.
Yeah, at the very least I can't imagine we'll see a very well played game tomorrow.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dr04.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 12:10AM

Trotsky
Beeeej
jtn27

2007 the team had already packed up and headed to the golf course before they dropped the puck, they would have lost to Little Sisters of the Poor.

2004 never happened.

Every time I see this posted, it makes me happy.

Tonight's game was insanity. It's still possible that the winner of this game could end up @ Cornell, so we will just have to see what happens. Selfishly, if Clarkson wins, I'd rather they end up at Lynah rather than Bright, since I'll be able to attend.

Date: March 04, 2012 01:50AM

The 8 permutations:

No. 10 RPI at No. 7 Clarkson
No. 9 Dartmouth upsets No. 8 St. Lawrence

1. Brn, Prn, RPI; Uni-Brn, Cor-Prn, Hvd-RPI, Col-Drt
2. Brn, Prn, Clk; Uni-Brn, Cor-Prn, Hvd-Drt, Col-Clk
3. Brn, Yal, RPI; Uni-Brn, Cor-RPI, Hvd-Drt, Col-Yal
4. Brn, Yal, Clk; Uni-Brn, Cor-Clk, Hvd-Drt, Col-Yal
5. Qpc, Prn, RPI; Uni-Pri, Cor-RPI, Hvd-Drt, Col-Qui
6. Qpc, Prn, Clk; Uni-Prn, Cor-Clk, Hvd-Drt, Col-Qui
7. Qpc, Yal, RPI; Uni-RPI, Cor-Drt, Hvd-Yal, Col-Qpc
8. Qpc, Yal, Clk; Uni-Drt, Cor-Clk, Hvd-Yal, Col-Qpc

So if all game 3's were 50/50, our opponents' odds in 8 as 37% Clarkson, 50% Princeton or RPI, and 13% Dartmouth.

Date: March 04, 2012 01:58AM

Trotsky
The 8 permutations:

So if all game 3's were 50/50, our opponents' odds in 8 as 37% Clarkson, 50% Princeton or RPI, and 13% Dartmouth.
It's gonna be close tomorrow. Honestly, I have no idea who's going to win tomorrow.

Date: March 04, 2012 08:10AM

ajh258
Trotsky
The 8 permutations:

It's gonna be close tomorrow. Honestly, I have no idea who's going to win tomorrow.
err, today:-}

Date: March 04, 2012 08:20AM

Trotsky
css228
And I forgot, no ECAC video. I suppose since America One does the video.bang They should negotiate that they get highlights.

Date: March 04, 2012 09:48AM

It's 9 bucks for all 3 games in America One, good broadcast too. Few if any cutoffs. Good deal IMHO.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 10:01AM

Trotsky
The 8 permutations:

If you did this in your head, and then got the typing to align, there ought to be a movie about you.

Date: March 04, 2012 11:35AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
css228
And I forgot, no ECAC video. I suppose since America One does the video.bang They should negotiate that they get highlights.

Some brief highlights from the Clarkson-RPI game were captured by Cap Carey of the Watertown Daily Times.

RPI Breakway in OT #2

Sexton Game Winner

There are more videos on his blog on the WDT website.

Date: March 04, 2012 11:43AM

gatefan
It's 9 bucks for all 3 games in America One, good broadcast too. Few if any cutoffs. Good deal IMHO.
What I was complaining about was no highlights, not complaining about the broadcast. I didn't watch any this year, but their broadcasts have always been good.

As an aside, do you mean that you can get all three games tonight for $9, or a two team series of (maybe) three games is $9? If I can get all three tonight for $9 I might do it.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 12:20PM

Trotsky
The 8 permutations:

Lines 4 and 6 should both be Cor-Drt, Hvd-Clk.
The only way we play Clarkson is if seeds 5, 6 and 7 all win. If exactly one of them loses, then Dartmouth would be the opponent.
So it's 12.5% Clarkson, 37.5 % Dartmouth, 25% RPI and 25% Princeton, if each game is 50/50.

Edited to fix my post as I originally typed RPI in Clarkson's spot - thanks daredevilcu for paying attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 01:32PM by jkahn.

Posted by: snert1288 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 12:41PM

You can get all 3 games tonight for $9. And from watching last night it is very easy to flip between then and even watch 2 with one PIP. I was impressed by the set up.

Date: March 04, 2012 12:59PM

jkahn
Trotsky
The 8 permutations:

The only way we play Clarkson is if seeds 5, 6 and 7 all win. If exactly one of them loses, then Dartmouth would be the opponent.
So it's 12.5% RPI, 37.5 % Dartmouth, 25% RPI and 25% Princeton, if each game is 50/50.

And apparently 0% Clarkson?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2012 01:22PM

Trotsky
css228

On the other hand the RPI announcers admitted that the goal that put them ahead in the second was likely a bounce off a Clarkson skate.

though it pains me I quote Ed Weaver of the Troy Record
Senior winger Patrick Cullen scored a pair of goals for the Engineers, who led by one goal three times, only to see Clarkson come back to tie the contest.

He banged a rebound off a Clarkson defender in the second period, and banged one off Karpowich and behind him from near the goal line for a 3-2 lead with 9:00 remaining in regulation time.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 01:28PM

daredevilcu
jkahn
Trotsky
The 8 permutations:

So it's 12.5% Clarkson, not RPI, 37.5 % Dartmouth, 25% RPI and 25% Princeton, if each game is 50/50.

And apparently 0% Clarkson?
no, it's 12.5% Clarkson, I just screwed up and typed RPI after 12.5% when I meant Clarkson

Date: March 04, 2012 01:40PM

Maybe we'll get lucky and both Brown and Princeton will win tonight so we can face Princeton. I know it's unlikely but that's what I'm rooting for so that we don't have to face RPI again. I'd also like RPI to knock off Clarkson. I don't want to see Clarkson in a later round; they gave us trouble both times we faced them.

Date: March 04, 2012 02:39PM

jtn27
Maybe we'll get lucky and both Brown and Princeton will win tonight so we can face Princeton. I know it's unlikely but that's what I'm rooting for so that we don't have to face RPI again. I'd also like RPI to knock off Clarkson. I don't want to see Clarkson in a later round; they gave us trouble both times we faced them.
I kind of want to see Dartmouth, besides, I'm still hoping Yale may be able to move to TUC status.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 02:39PM by css228.

Date: March 04, 2012 05:46PM

jtn27
I'd rather face Clarkson than RPI at this point. At least we didn't lost to the Knights this year.

Date: March 04, 2012 05:55PM

css228
jtn27
I kind of want to see Dartmouth, besides, I'm still hoping Yale may be able to move to TUC status.

If Yale wins tonight they might move up to TUC (barely), but I don't think they stay there unless they win the next round. Not impossible, but they're not that good a team.

Date: March 04, 2012 06:07PM

ajh258
jtn27
I'd rather face Clarkson than RPI at this point. At least we didn't lost to the Knights this year.

I don't want to face either. We only scored 1 goal all year against Clarkson. That means a game against Clarkson is the type of game where anything can happen and the first team to score has a big advantage.

Date: March 04, 2012 06:16PM

jtn27
ajh258
jtn27

I don't want to face either. We only scored 1 goal all year against Clarkson. That means a game against Clarkson is the type of game where anything can happen and the first team to score has a big advantage.

Actually we scored 5 against them in Florida. But it will still be an anything can happen series with Karpowich in goal.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 06:26PM

jtn27

I don't want to face either. We only scored 1 goal all year against Clarkson Karpowich. That means a game against Clarkson is the type of game where anything can happen and the first team to score has a big advantage.

FYP. Cornell beat Clarkson 5-3 in Florida with their backup playing. We put up shot totals of 32, 28, & 28 against them, and we only had 7 games all year of 28 shots or more.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 06:29PM by RichH.

Date: March 04, 2012 06:32PM

A friend linked me this video. Enjoy!

Date: March 04, 2012 07:49PM

If we pencil in Quinnipiac and Yale after their dominating first periods, that would secure:

3-Harvard vs 6-Yale
4-Colgate vs 5-Quinnipiac

The choices then would be either:

1-Union vs 10-RPI
2-Cornell vs 9-Dartmouth

or

1-Union vs 9-Dartmouth
2-Cornell vs 7-Clarkson

depending on who wins the Clarkson-RPI game.

Date: March 04, 2012 07:57PM

Trotsky
If we pencil in Quinnipiac and Yale after their dominating first periods, that would secure:

3-Harvard vs 6-Yale

The choices then would be either:

1-Union vs 10-RPI
2-Cornell vs 9-Dartmouth

or

1-Union vs 9-Dartmouth
2-Cornell vs 7-Clarkson

depending on who wins the Clarkson-RPI game.
In other words root for RPI

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 08:33PM

RPI and Clarkson are 1-1 after 2 periods. Maybe they'll try for back-to-back triple-overtime games.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2012 08:36PM

dbilmes
RPI and Clarkson are 1-1 after 2 periods. Maybe they'll try for back-to-back triple-overtime games.

Please Hockey Gods, No!

Date: March 04, 2012 09:47PM

Finals all in.

1-Union vs 10-RPI
2-Cornell vs 9-Dartmouth
3-Harvard vs 6-Yale

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login