Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Everything But Anchovies

Posted by Beeeej 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Everything But Anchovies
Posted by: zg88 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 02:01PM

WARNING: Skip this post if you don't give a crap about the history of the drinking age in New York. nut (Yes, when I'm in procrastinatory mode, you all suffer!) :-))

OK, Eric... I feel a bet comin' on...

(Man, I never would've guessed, at the time (16 years ago), that I'd someday be having one of these "geezers-in-rocking-chairs" arguments (especially in a hockey forum (hell, there wasn't even an internet then!)) over a date that was so "traumatic" to so many of us in the Class of '88...) (Cornell Hockey Tie-in: But, hey, at least we had the '86 ECAC championship a few months later to help us forget our sorrows!) :-))

Umm... back to the bet... A case of beer (appropriately enough) says that the age went from 19 to 21 on Dec. 1, '85 -- not on Jan. 1, '86. (I've searched the internet (I'm not too good at that sorta thing), and all I've been able to come up with is that "19-->21" happened "in 1985";).

While I was fairly confident about "late '82" being the timing of the 18-to-19 jump, I will concede that, since I was only 16 at the time, I'm not totally positive about the precise date for that one (it wasn't as acutely painful as the '85 change).

One thing's for sure, however: There's no way the age went from 18 to 19 on Jan. 1, '85, because that would've meant that I became legal on my 18th birthday (in '84), and that definitely didn't happen! That's for damn sure! (If your dates were both correct, then that would mean that I became legal on 3 separate occasions!! Yikes!!)

Also, I am very sure that I was legal for exactly 6 weeks, and that that period of legality ended on Dec. 1, '85. For "evidence", I looked at my '85-'86 Cornell calendar, and, on Wed., Nov. 27, there is the following notation:

"FINAL BEER RUN... (2) 6-packs: Tuborg & Michelob" :`(

The reason why that "final" beer run occurred 3 days sooner than on the absolutely last possible day was that I spent those final 3 days out of state (for Thanksgiving break).

The reasons why I only purchased two 6-packs are... ummm... well... 1.) How much beer can you fit in a dorm-room fridge? 2.) Hey, we all knew that, thanks to fake ID's, it would pretty much be business as usual, anyway! B-]

And the reason why I would buy such crappy beer... well... All I can do is use the "poor student" and "ignorant youth" excuses. When I became legal again, two years later, my malt beverage purchases betrayed a more sophisticated palate (thanks, in part, to finally having some money).

Yeah... and that's all I have to say about that... help

Woo-hoo!! 100th post!!

(PS -- Significant editing at 3:30pm).

Posted by: CUlater '89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 03:23PM

Eric Hoffman wrote: "...it certainly didn't stop me from drinking. Hey that's what dorm and off-campus parties were for!!!!"

And Dino's too!

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 03:57PM

Of course... you could live in one of those states that foregoes said federal highway money and continues to have the legal age of 18.

Okay there are no states like that, but half-state Puerto Rico does it. And it has the lowest drunk driving rate in the country. Makes you think.

Posted by: AdamGanderson (---.syr.edu)
Date: February 21, 2002 04:00PM

Yes, but what's the DRIVER rate in Puerto Rico? I have to imagine that cars per person is lower than, say, Connecticut.

Pretend John's silly quote about statistics is here.

Drinking age
Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 04:00PM

Felix Rodriguez wrote:

Of course... you could live in one of those states that foregoes said federal highway money and continues to have the legal age of 18.

Okay there are no states like that, but half-state Puerto Rico does it. And it has the lowest drunk driving rate in the country. Makes you think.

Uhh. Then why is the drinking age 18 in New Orleans? Maybe because the loss in tourism revenue would be greater than the gains in highway funding...

Statistics
Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 04:02PM

You mean "87% of all statistics are made up on the spot"?

:-P

Re: Statistics
Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 04:05PM

laugh

Nice one...

I was always a fan of "smoking is the leading cause of statistics".

Posted by: melissa (---.ip.termserv.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 04:21PM

This Plum Blossom place ... aside from being good and cheap, do you trust what you are eating?? just curious as the RPI union week-end is fast approaching and if it's as good as you say we'll likely check it out. i guess after some of the horror stories i've heard about the chinese places in college town and about cheap chinese places in general i'm a little cautious about eating it from cheap unknown restaurants. yes, maybe i'm a little anal. rolleyes

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 04:36PM

Melissa, for a second there I thought you were talking about the Japanese place on Dryden, which isn't particularly good (it's about as good as Kayuga, for what that's worth) and is certainly not cheap (although it's marginally cheaper than Kayuga). Suffice it to say that I was *very* confused. . . :-)

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 05:19PM

Actually the driver rate is higher than every state in the country. San Juan has the highest car per person rate in the world. Public transportation sucks..

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 06:21PM

> This Plum Blossom place ... aside from being good and cheap, do you trust what you are eating??

Yes. They should probably have said "inexpensive" rather than "cheap." I've had meals there that rivalled the best San Francisco or Boston can offer, for about 1/4 the price.

What the hell were they thinking with that location, though? Not just Troy, but a few miles *outside* of Troy.

Inscrutable...

Posted by: judy (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 10:23PM

Melissa, for a second there I thought you were talking about the Japanese place on Dryden, which isn't particularly good (it's about as good as Kayuga, for what that's worth) and is certainly not cheap (although it's marginally cheaper than Kayuga). Suffice it to say that I was *very* confused. . .

mmm...PlumTree, that's some good food. and it IS better than Kayuga!

Posted by: nshapiro (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 12:31AM

I think PJ's Pancake house in Princeton is worth mentioning as a pre/post game meal ....especially if you like chocolate chip pancakes with whip cream.

I must confess being clueless about the Chariot's corn nuggets...can anyone describe what these are? I was a regular at the Chariot, but I loved the sweet dough pizza they made....is that still unchanged?

Posted by: Jimmy Devellano (---.clnt3401.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 04:41AM

Food is excellent.

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 08:18AM

edit - never mind, it's too early in the morning to read and comprehend. This post has been deleted for the general protection of, well, everyone.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: February 22, 2002 10:54AM

I trust it as much as I trust any other restaurant. Chinese food is hardly alone in its use of obscure and potentially troubling ingredients.

Beeeej

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: February 22, 2002 11:10AM

Take a handful of corn niblets, mix 'em together with a little water and cornstarch, and you'll have something similar to "creamed corn." Now make a little ball of about 7 or 8 niblets, dip the ball in batter, and deep fry it.

That's a corn nugget.

The pizza's still very good, but the white russians and Irish wakes are a little inconsistent from visit to visit.

Beeeej

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 02:27PM

Am I the only person who finds corn nuggets, in Beeeej's beautiful phrase, "obscure and potentially troubling"?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 02:34PM

Greg Berge wrote:

Am I the only person who finds corn nuggets, in Beeeej's beautiful phrase, "obscure and potentially troubling"?
No, I'm with you on that one Greg. Not only are they obscure, but I don't even think they taste all that good, plus I always wind up burning myself on them. :-(

Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: February 22, 2002 03:31PM

Mmm, "obscure and potentially troubling." My favorite!

Josh, perhaps you should stick to foods you don't actually injure yourself on. :-) Leave the corn nuggets to the rest of us.

(90 minutes to corn nuggets!)

Re: Hot Truck
Posted by: ugarte (---.c3-0.129-ubr1.lnh-129.md.cable.rcn.)
Date: February 24, 2002 01:34AM

JTW, re: Hot Truck -- Good to know. Was it everything everyone remembered this weekend? Sorry that I couldn't join you.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login