Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Everything But Anchovies

Posted by Beeeej 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Everything But Anchovies
Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: February 14, 2002 12:37PM

I'm assuming it won't be a huge crowd, but for anybody making the trip to Dartmouth tomorrow, if you arrive early enough, all ELynah folks should feel free to join the group meeting for an early dinner at Everything But Anchovies. It's at 5 Allen Street, and I suspect we'll start gathering there around 5ish or 5:15ish in order to leave time to watch warmups.

Beeeej

P.S. Map at [mq-mapgend.websys.aol.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Everything But Anchovies
Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 12:42PM

will run it by Judy but i think we'll try and make it so that we can finally meet all of you.....:-)

Date: February 14, 2002 12:44PM

We'll be the ones wearing Cornell stuff. ;-)

Beeeej

Posted by: judy (---.hrb.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 12:49PM

melissa, why do you need to run this by me? I check this board probably as often as you check.

Date: February 14, 2002 12:50PM

okay...and since I don't see an edit button...here's me hoping that no one decides to hijack a southwest airlines plane tomorrow. ;-)

Date: February 14, 2002 12:52PM

what happened to my edit button? and yes I am logged in.

Date: February 14, 2002 12:53PM

i know. just wanted to see whether this was an option (ie. whether you wanted to leave early enough to ge there by 5 or whether you wanted to try and catch the olympic hockey game at my place before hitting the road ....if there is even one on that early - seems odd but i thought that this was what we discussed initially)

Date: February 14, 2002 12:54PM

It took a different flight and missed its connection.

Beeeej

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: February 14, 2002 02:26PM

Beeeej -

Although I first heard that quote from Chris as well, he corrected me once and said that it should be attributed to Steve Worona.

-j

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: February 14, 2002 02:32PM

Well, if you're looking at it in flat view, that link from Beeeej does not get split over multiple lines, so I suspect you just need to scroll your window to the right to see the link. Doing something about links like that is next on the list, incidentally.

Date: February 14, 2002 03:14PM

You're right, Chris just confirmed that for me. Thanks!

Beeeej

Date: February 14, 2002 04:55PM

...and summarily dealt with. Long URL's are truncated (but the links still work properly, of course)

Date: February 18, 2002 01:14PM

Melissa and Judy - I still have no proof you exist. We had a pretty good crowd at EBA(S) on Friday, too. :-) Get held up at the airport?

Beeeej

Posted by: melissa (---.ip.termserv.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 01:17PM

we were there. got there early and were watching the olympics and playing with the cutest kids. guess we didn't see you....
were you actually wearing cornell stuff??

hanover is crappy.

Date: February 18, 2002 01:20PM

Yes - we didn't get there until 5:30ish (sorry :`( ). I was the guy with the cane.

Beeeej

Posted by: Dart~Ben (---.dartmouth.edu)
Date: February 18, 2002 02:12PM

Hmmm, so I have a Cornell person telling me Hanover is crappy, meanwhile my roommate from Ithica says Ithica is crappy. Hmmm, I wonder which one is crappier? ;-)

(and yes my roommate really is from Ithica)

Posted by: Dave '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 02:15PM

Ithaca is not a bad little town, with the excpetion that there are too many touchy feely types for my liking. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I grew up here.

Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 02:22PM

Is your roommate from Ithica, or Ithaca? :-)
I've heard Hanover described as a "little Ithaca" (by someone who knew I was applying for a job there once upon a time). Personally, I don't like either town (although I love Cornell). Then again, I'm a New Yorker...

Date: February 18, 2002 03:15PM

like Melissa said, we did make it there. She was entertained by the cute kids. I was and still am addicted to watching the Olympics...gee, stuff like x-country skiing, curling...stuff I never thought I'd watch I would sit happily and stare at it on the TV...and then of course there's hockey.

Hanover vs. Ithaca. One weekend when I was still in high school, my parents and I were driving around NH (I don't remember why exactly) but ended up on 89 and stopped in Hanover to take a look at Dartmouth. I said I didn't want to go and my parents didn't object. I went back this weekend and it reaffirmed my decision then. Sure, there's nothing to do in either town...but hey, Ithaca's got Wegman's! and all those other stores at Pyramid and along 13...and then there's Syracuse 1 hour north and Binghamton 1 hour south...Hanover...can't say much for it except that I would've been closer to home. ack! I'm babbling. I need to stop.

Any chances the V-Neck sweater guy will be there this weekend?

Posted by: AdamGanderson (---.syr.edu)
Date: February 18, 2002 03:25PM

You forget Hot Truck. And Purity. And Hot Truck.

*Mouth wattering already*

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: February 18, 2002 03:33PM

Adam Ganderson wrote:

You forget Hot Truck. And Purity. And Hot Truck.

*Mouth wattering already*
Well, to its credit, Hanover does have the title of this thread going for it.

But no Hot Truck.

Date: February 18, 2002 03:37PM

damn it! now you have me thinking of food from Ithaca!

Has anyone eaten at the Boatyard Grill yet this year? Prices? What's to eat? Do we need to call for reservations?

mmm...and corn nuggets from chariot...

Date: February 18, 2002 03:55PM

Why go to the Boatyard, when you can go to Bistro Q? Run by the same folks who own Just A Taste, the food is outstanding, the prices are reasonable (9-14$ per entree I think) the atmosphere is nice... It's a win. :)

Posted by: Dart~Ben (---.dartmouth.edu)
Date: February 18, 2002 03:59PM

I don't get it, everytime people come to Hanover they stop at EBA's, I'm guessing just cause they hear about it since they sponser sporting events. EBA's sucks though, only reason I ever eat it is cause it's the only place that delivers after midnight.

There are plenty of better eating spots in Hanover, hell Rumunto's has much better pizza and their garlic knots kill any EBA's appetizer.

Yeah Hanover's too small for even my tastes sometimes, but we're only 2 hours from Boston, which makes for a nice weekend getaway. And we have all the fast food stops 10 minutes away in West Lebanon, otherwise known as the strip mall of the Upper Valley.

Date: February 18, 2002 04:04PM

Adam, you're beginning to sound like my brother.

Beeeej

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: February 18, 2002 04:09PM

Haven't been back for a while. What is Purity?

Date: February 18, 2002 04:20PM

It's like icecream, only better. :)

(and this from a guy who spent ALOT of time at the Cornell Dairy...)

Posted by: melissa (---.ip.termserv.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 04:20PM

What is Bistro Q? Have never heard of it. It is good? Where is it?

As for the Hot Truck..... was it actually good or was it just conveniant? I only tried it a few times but was never really impressed. Now, the Chariot on the other hand.......they do have damn good corn nuggets!!! And you can't forget the real Billy Bob Jacks. Any why oh why did they shut down Joe's?

I actually thought that EBAS was pretty good. Just didn't like feeling like we were isolated from cilvilization in a pseudosociety, in a Truman Show or Pleasantville like manner.

Date: February 18, 2002 04:21PM

Frankly, that's the nicest thing that's been said to me all day.

*bow*

Date: February 18, 2002 04:26PM

Go to [www.bistroq.com] and all your prayers (er... questions) will be answered. :)

I dearly love Hot Truck partially for the socio-cultural experience, and partially for the food (which is great late night high carb, high fat jonesing food. Added bonus, with enough practice, you can order it EXACTLY the way you want it. Like making your own drunken 1am creations, but someone else does all the work. :)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 04:59PM

There are very few things that bring back the experience of being a West Campus freshman 21 years ago, and precious few of those can anybody under 30 relate to. The Palms is a fern bar, the fish bowl's gone, and nobody gives Sperry a second thought, let alone organizes late night raids. But the Hot Truck lives on.

For the record, I still think the food was great, but only if you made it *in*convenient. (i.e., it just didn't work to wait for your WGC in a car... you had to freeze your butt on those wobbly steps like everybody else).

Posted by: jeh25 (---.2.252.64.snet.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 05:00PM

'cause adam finds it really hard to make a dagwood sandwich at 2am after getting tanked on *baileys*...

:-P

Hot Truck
Date: February 18, 2002 05:52PM

Sacrilege!!! But seriously, Hot Truck is one of my all time favorite foods. With or without the experience it is totally worth it for me. If Bob still did mail order I would consider ordering PMPs from him periodically, as insane as that sounds.

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 07:46PM

I hate to say this, but I think being so close to Binghamton and Syracuse (aka Binghamton North) counts as two strikes against Ithaca. . . ;-)

Bistro Q is good. The food was fantastic the one time I went there, and we tried a whole bunch of stuff from the menu. I remember it being more than $8-14, but I think we managed to average more than one entree per person, too. Neat design on the psuedo-pint glasses, but be warned: they look like pints, but they only hold 12 ounces. . . those bastards.

Joe's closing wasn't such a bad thing, seeing as how the food wasn't very good. Besides, I think Maxie's probably put them out of business. Mmmm . . .Maxie's. . . now I have no desire to make dinner. :-(

Re: Hot Truck
Date: February 18, 2002 07:58PM

I wouldn't. I loved Hot Truck when I was in college, and I would probably love it again if I could get it fresh from the truck. When I was in Ithaca in '98 at someone else's 5th reunion, Hot Truck was serving pizza that had been premade. Sucked. I certainly wouldn't get it by mail.

Date: February 18, 2002 08:00PM

I also thought Joe's was overrated. The vaunted breadsticks were just like the crap at Olive Garden.

Date: February 18, 2002 08:05PM

Just what the hell is a fern bar, and have they really ruined my old watering hole?

Posted by: Robb (---.157.118.220.dial1.dallas1.level3.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 08:29PM

BRA - you didn't miss Purity because it's too new; you have missed it all these years because Cornell students don't go downtown any more. Purity has been down on Rt. 13 since before my parents attended Cornell ('64 and '65). And you definitely are missing out - Hagen-Daaz and B&Js are corporate knockoffs as far as I'm concerned....

Date: February 18, 2002 08:34PM

Note to vegetarians (since Ithaca breeds such folks) - apparently Purity contains gelatin. It's not a big deal for me, but it matters to a lot of people around these parts.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 08:52PM

You're right it has been there forever. After a night of goofing off, and right before one had to get to the books, someone would yell "Purity run" and we would all pile into a car for a fresh packed pint, or so, of delicious ice cream.

And yes it's still there and just as good as in the sixties. When I drove back from Elmira with our new Gordon Setter puppy last summer we stopped there and just had ice cream for dinner. Good ice cream, great memories.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 08:52PM

big red apple wrote:

Just what the hell is a fern bar, and have they really ruined my old watering hole?
A fern bar, as I understand it, is a place in the style of Chili's or Applebee's or TGI Friday's, but I wasn't aware that the Palms had become such a place.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 10:35PM

Greg, I could have written that post about waiting for the WGC in the cold....i never did trust those people who ordered and waited in their cars or inside the truck's street-side door.

The other thing missing from West Campus is the Dust Bowl. Where did
freshman learn to play ultimate when they ruined (beautified) it?

And Purity Ice Cream, as previously mentioned is a long lived institution, available at Olivers (doesnt exist anymore) or at that Scoop Shop (doesnt exist anymore) in the Straight, as well as down on Rt. 13 at the factory.

One final note: I agree that the most recent incarnation of Joe's was mediocre, but the early 80's version was delicious. I dont know how many Joe's there have been, maybe someone here does.

Posted by: Graham '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 10:45PM

Unfortunately Hot Truck has really gone downhill since Bob sold it. Not only is the food not as good, but it just doesn't seem right for a 25 year-old guy with two earings in a backwards baseball cap to be cooking it.

Posted by: judy (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 10:47PM

is purity open in the winter? now i want ice cream!

Date: February 18, 2002 11:03PM

Aside from Hot Truck going downhill, I've personally always preferred Louie's Lunch Truck. How come nobody talks about it?

Date: February 18, 2002 11:17PM

When's Louie's Lunch going to close? Freshman year, I remembered hearing a rumor that it was closing...and it's been about 4 years since then.

Joe's
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 19, 2002 12:37AM

Joe's was great by my college tastes, and their Chicken Marsala ruined me for anyone else's. But a much better version of what Joe's should have been is Palazzio in Montecito, CA. A combination of highbrow pasta sauces with enormous portions that allowed you to get about four meals out of a full bowl for around $10-15, the clientele always seemed to be a mixture of grad students and fashion models. (I know, only in California...)

Waiting for Hot Truck
Date: February 19, 2002 12:41AM

How about waiting across the street at 660 (site of many Hot-Truck-fueled all-night philosphical discussions)?

Date: February 19, 2002 12:44AM

By "fish bowl" do you mean the dust bowl (which got landscaped my sophomore year), or is it something that predates even me? The only fishbowl I remember was in Uris.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2002 12:55AM

I was very skeptical about the new Hot Truck ownership as well, but I must admit to being happy with how things are. Change is unavoidable, and Hot Truck Mike is a really nice guy. Plus, he doesn't burn the bread like Bob used to. If you want to try a great new school sandwich, I recommend the "Haus," named after my old off-campus house (and home to many, many Cornell BRB trumpet players as well as Phreaky Phunky Phil).

But damn the Residential Housing initiative putting all freshmen on North. From what I hear, it's hurtin' the truck.

Posted by: Graham '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 01:51AM

When's Louie's Lunch going to close? Freshman year, I remembered hearing a rumor that it was closing...and it's been about 4 years since then.

Louie's is still alive and kicking after 84 years. I think it was changed ownership about 5 years ago, and it is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 02:44AM

> A fern bar, as I understand it, is a place in the style of Chili's or Applebee's or TGI Friday's, but I wasn't aware that the Palms had become such a place.

No, that's not really my meaning. "Fern bar" was a derogatory 1980's term for taking an aging dive bar and gentrifying it -- one of the telltale signs was hanging plants as part of the decor. It didn't really connote a chain bar like Applebees. The Palms went through a series of really awful transformations in the late 80's, including actually having lights in the place (you wouldn't have wanted to see what was in your drink in the early 80's), but the unkindest cut of all was the removal of the bowling for beers game that used to occupy the right hand corner as you entered. Without that, it's just another bar.

> By "fish bowl" do you mean the dust bowl (which got landscaped my sophomore year), or is it something that predates even me? The only fishbowl I remember was in Uris.

We did call that part of Uris where you can survey the floor below you the "fish bowl." However, "Fish Bowl" was also the nickname of the bar on the first floor of Noyes in the early 80's, so named because there was a long window outside that people could stroll by and, um, shop. Undergrads being what they are, and West Campus at that time being what it was, it was a notorious and ludicrously convenient meat market.

When the drinking age went from 18 to 20 in 1983, and then 21 in 1984, Cornell's lawyers decided it wasn't at all A Good Thing to have a bar right on West Campus, and shut it for good.

Re: Joe's
Date: February 19, 2002 06:16AM

I though that Joe's was great. But I'll admit that throughout college my standards were kinda low.... and then there was the fact that they were one of the few places in town to have decent seafood. A maritimer needs seafood! :-P yum!

Date: February 19, 2002 06:19AM

a bar on west campus???? damn! that would have been interesting!

Date: February 19, 2002 07:33AM

Graham '02 wrote:

Unfortunately Hot Truck has really gone downhill since Bob sold it. Not only is the food not as good, but it just doesn't seem right for a 25 year-old guy with two earings in a backwards baseball cap to be cooking it.
Keep in mind that when Bob started, HE was a 25 year-old guy (give or take)... the earrings and cap are really just stylistic differences from the typical Ithaca youth of the '50s to that of the '90s.

Also, as far as food quality goes, when many of us (ok, not Al and Jim) were at Cornell, Bob had been making sandwiches for a LOONNNG time, close to 40 years by the time he retired. Even though he's been at it for a year or two now, based on how hard Bob worked to find what he considered a suitable new owner, I think Mike deserves a chance. (Personally, while it may have taken him a while, I think he's getting the hang of it.)

Damn, now I'm hungry. Hot Truck and 7:30 am, two things that don't usually mix.

Campus bars
Date: February 19, 2002 08:32AM

Kid of like the Thirsty Bear on North Campus, which was also a victim of the 21-year-old drinking age. (Apparently UC Santa Barbara managed to hang onto their University Center Pub into the early 1990s, although I wasn't enough of a driker to find it before it closed.)

Louie's Lunch
Date: February 19, 2002 08:38AM

I wonder if Louie's will take on some of Hot Truck's campus legend status now that all the Freshmen are living on North Campus. (Another reason this is a bad idea, BTW.)

Of course, I lived on North all four years (except one summer at 660), but was introduced to Hot Truck over the years. Perhaps it will be something rediscovered annually by Sophomores who move to West, and introduced through them to the Freshmen.

Something else that just occurred to me: does this mean no more Orientation Counselors on West? I suppoose Orientation Week is different now that it's got a reading list anyway. nut

Re: Campus bars
Date: February 19, 2002 08:40AM

There is a bar in Cheel. It is good. :-D

Re: Hot Truck
Date: February 19, 2002 09:46AM

Lest anyone think the horror Big Red Apple mentions has become the standard (or has even been repeated to my knowlege), it hasn't. Hot Truck is still damn fine and made before your eyes (if you care enough to press your eyes up to the window.)

THere has been a change or two (probably not news to most, but since we're talking about Hot Truck anyway...) Bob finally sold the Truck to Shortstop (presumably under the proviso that they not change anything...) And while it feels wrong to wait inside in a warm well lit space to get your WGC or whatnot, the fountain soda big as your head for a dime is a nice addition to the dining experience.

FWIW.

3.5 days to Hot Truck....

Re: Louie's Lunch
Posted by: CUlater '89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: February 19, 2002 10:03AM

Catching up on this interesting thread:

1. Didn't Louie's already have that type of status, at least for those of us who lived on North Campus freshman year (or beyond)? I know my group of friends with whom I lived in Donlon freshman year have lots of stories about Louie's, including one guy carrying a steak sub across campus to the Security Norstar ATM at the Campus Store at 1 a.m., then deciding he didn't want so he left it in the deposit slot.

Heck, Louie's led us to actually buy Steak-Ums in an effort to recreate the steak sub once we moved off-campus.

2. Joe's was very good (by any standards, given the cost) in the late 80s and very early 90s. Probably around 1991-1992 it started to change, with portions getting smaller, breadsticks just a little off, not as many peppers in the bottomless salad. It was perhaps a victim of its own success, as the owners seemed to want to move people through there even faster. Little Joe's in C-town was never as good, IMHO. The owners started having disputes, I think one of them moved out of town and gave up his share and things continued downhill. FYI: the guy who moved had some connection to the lax team so I often saw ex-laxers (heh, heh) there and parents of the guys on the hockey team often ate there as well (when coming to town for games in the 90s, our pre-game meals were at Joe's one night and Aladdin's the other).

3. Keep in mind, Ithaca is a city and Hanover is just a town (just like Cornell is a university and Dartmouth is just a college, although with a little watering and TLC, it might grow up to be a university like its Ivy siblings).

4. As for the Palms, it was always a dive bar to me (or at least I thought so until I started going to real dive bars in Boston and NYC), but like Greg said, the alums from earlier times thought it had been gentrified too much (of course, I feel that way about it now). When they added a CD jukebox in the back in '88 or '89, it turned into yuppie-central (overflow from Ruloff's?)

5. You can't just the Hot Truck by the food served on the Arts Quad at Reunions. It's a totally different operation when they gear up for such a large (and relatively captive) audience.

Posted by: jason (---.paulhastings.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 10:23AM

I dearly miss corn nuggets. Cornell can change the campus all they want (for the most part), but if the Chariot and corn nuggets were to disappear, my "old Cornell" would be diminished. (Corn nuggets are on my short list of items that comprise "my" Cornell, along with Lynah Rink, Dunbar's, Chapter House, Dickson Hall, Plant Science Building, Louie's Lunch and a few other places/things that I hold dear.)

Date: February 19, 2002 10:26AM

My dearest memory of the plant science building is that vending machine in the basement that someone hacked (low temp and CO2 flow?) so that you can get seemingly just off the tree fresh apples of several varieties year round. For just a quarter. : )

"Cornell: We GROW the Ivy!"

Date: February 19, 2002 01:03PM

And no matter how many times I explained that I wanted the breadsticks with the garlic and oil but without the salt, I invariably got them with some other incorrect combination.

IMHO, though, the "most recent incarnation" of Joe's that was mediocre only goes back a few years, to when Mark Campagnolo began to back away (and later sold) in preparation for opening the Boathouse Grill. Right up until the late 1990s, it was good, solid stuff almost exactly the same as they'd been serving since their reopening in the late 1980s.

Beeeej

Re: Louie's Lunch
Date: February 19, 2002 01:16PM

1. Anybody who frequented both Louie's and the Hot Truck knew that Louie's was simply a normal lunch truck, while the Hot Truck had a mystique, almost a suspense. Sure, you could get decent, greasy food at Louie's (and their shakes were fabulous), but you couldn't make fun of freshmen for not knowing how to order, there were no dictionaries, the person serving you didn't care who you were or what was going on in your life (as Bob most definitely did if you took the time to get to know him), and let's face it, the longer the wait is for your post-blood-chemistry food, the more you value it.

2. Joe's stopped putting pepperoncini in the salads because something like 90% of them were coming back uneaten, and they figured it'd save them a few bucks. They'd put them in your salad if you asked up front.

3. I believe (though it's possible this is just an urban legend) Dartmouth's charter contains a provision that puts its tax-exempt status in danger if it ever ceases to be known as "Dartmouth College," hence the non-University status despite its business and medical schools.

Beeeej

Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2002 01:23PM

Beeeej hit the nail on the head. Mark Campagnolo's gradual departure from running the business is what sent Joe's on its downhill path the last few years.

After Mark finally sold his share of the business, it was only a matter of time before Larry managed to run it into the ground, unfortunately.

The Boatyard Grill inherited not only Mark's business sense and talent for running a restaurant, but also much of the competent cooking and wait staff. (That's another reason Joe's went downhill.) I highly recommend it, and I highly recommend not showing up at 6:00 on a Friday evening unless you're prepared to wait at the bar and enjoy drinks and appetizers before you get a seat an hour or three later.

This thread has brought up SEVERAL of my favorite area eateries. Just a Taste and Bistro Q are run by two of my favorite restaurateurs, Jen Irwin and Stan Walton. My pace has relaxed quite a bit, but after dining at Q twice on opening night, I ate there a few dozen times in their first couple of months. They like me. :-)

Just a Taste is very different from Q, which is very earthy and informal, focusing on southern and BBQ comfort food. Just a Taste is a wine and tapas bar, with an alarming array of wine by the glass and very creative dishes served in sharable portions. A few of us went in there for dessert before the Brown game, and ended up going back for dinner at 10 partly because the menu (which changes every night) had looked so good.

[www.just-a-taste.com]

Maxie's rocks, and I haven't been there in too long. That and Boatyard Grill are two great seafood options, Melissa.

Yes, I have lots of opinions about food and Ithaca-area eateries. I write restaurant reviews for the Ithaca Times (I get to eat free, and then they pay me to write about it) and created my own online dining guide, 14850 Dining.

[dining.14850.com]

Posted by: zg88 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 01:40PM

Here I go again, chiming in with pointless statistics...

(But first, I want to say that I've been trying to get caught up on this forum for over an hour-and-a-half now... this is insane!!)

> ...the drinking age went from 18 to 20 in 1983, and then 21 in 1984...

I know that just about no one's going to care, but, just for the record:

The drinking age went from 18 to 19 in late '82, then from 19 to 21 in late '85.

I'm absolutely positive about the second jump, because it ended 6 weeks of "legality" for me during my sophomore year (a tragically brief period of which I took liberal advantage, naturally), and I had to wait another 2 years to be legal again. (Damned politicians!!! Would it've killed ya to grandfather us in?!?!)

Date: February 19, 2002 02:11PM

You're right on about the change in drinking age. I remember being annoyed at that because I arrived as an 18-yr old freshman and before I could turn 19 in the spring semester, the increase to 21 went into effect.

Posted by: jason (---.paulhastings.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 04:26PM

To keep with the nostalgia theme, a place I forgot to mention (and I'm not sure how popular it was with the student body) is The Pines Restaurant out on rt. 89 (I think, memory is hazy when it comes to route numbers) which runs along the far side of Cayuga Lake. Great burgers, frosty mugs with your beers, and one of those mechanical mini-bowling games. Tough to beat that combination.

Date: February 19, 2002 04:32PM

Love those Pines' Burgers!

Date: February 19, 2002 04:38PM

A gift certificate for two of those Pinesburgers was the only prize I've ever won in the Cornell Hockey Association 50-50 drawing. I want the jackpot, dammit!! help

Beeeej

Date: February 19, 2002 04:38PM

I'm not sure if they still have the mini-bowling game, but since I usually go there after a tournament I'm more interested in the food. Good cheap fare, and lots of it, plus a *fantastic* view of the lake. And yes, the Pines is on 89. Look for the "legal beverages" sign, and be warned - the bridge is (was?) under construction so the parking entrance is a bit weird.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 05:17PM

They still have the mini bowling game. For a quarter/player, it's one helluva bargin. When I get my millions and get a big game room, I'm putting one of those mini-bowling games right next to my USA-USSR bubble hockey game.

50/50
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (206.254.3.---)
Date: February 19, 2002 05:23PM

I just want to win something so Grady can announce where I live. (Probably should have taken the job in Potsdam, Germany, from that point of view.)

Re: 50/50
Posted by: littleredfan (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2002 05:31PM

note to admin: possible to retitle this thread as "area eateries debate" ?

Date: February 19, 2002 05:33PM

> They still have the mini bowling game.

Maybe that's where it went. It was gone for years, but I guess they buried it in the Palms storeroom (which itself is a scary place...)

Next time I'm in Ithaca, I'm buying a game for *everybody*!

Date: February 19, 2002 05:45PM

> The drinking age went from 18 to 19 in late '82, then from 19 to 21 in late '85.

My fault. I recalled that the drinking age always chased me (I remained legal, usually by a matter of months), but I thought it went through 20, not 19.

Posted by: gwm3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 05:50PM

the person serving you (at Louie's) didn't care who you were or what was going on in your life

Well I guess some things have changed, because the current owner of Louie's is incredibly friendly, and is on a first name basis with many of his regular customers. I guess Louie's is afforded a higher status by those who have lived on North, but I agree that it doesn't have the same campus-wide mystique as Hot Truck (even though it has been there much longer).

Date: February 19, 2002 07:24PM

I am amazed - this is the most popular thread in the short history of the eLynah board so far without any sign of letting up. (I don't remember too many at CHDF that ran this long either.)

Date: February 19, 2002 08:34PM

I think you jinxed it. Yours is the only post in the last 3 hours :-P

Date: February 19, 2002 08:39PM

That's OK. I couldn't keep up. I'm 30+ posts behind.

Date: February 19, 2002 09:07PM

i think the length of this thread has a lot to do with the fact that it's the middle of the week (sorta), there's little to say about the past hockey week-end and everyone is fearful of saying too much too soon about the important upcoming week-end. thus we talk about food.

the week-end is big for a bunch of reasons: 1) the last two home games of the year 2) the sad point where we say good-bye to the seniors we've watched for years 3) we could/should be celebrating the first cornell RS title in years saturday night (here's to hoping!)

and heck, almost everyone loves to eat!!! out of curiosity, what is everone's fav place to eat when hitting the road games ( i know that it's not Pizza Hut in the north country!)?

last week-end Judy and I completed our quest of visiting each ECAC rink once (tho there are a few we've seen a few times) and thus far I'd have to say this cute little place along the river in Burlington called Water Works has the best food and atmosphere. And the best dessert, without a doubt, can be found in the North end of Boston at Mike's Pastries!

Date: February 19, 2002 09:13PM

IF (and that's a really big if, and lots of hoping) Cornell can make it to the regionals and stays east, I will be sitting at that game on the 23rd eating a very yummy cake from Mike's celebrating my birthday and hopefully more. I want a strawberry mousse cake...

Date: February 19, 2002 09:17PM

hell, even without the team in worcester, I'll be eating that cake!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 09:53PM

when many of us (ok, not Al and Jim) were at Cornell, Bob had been making sandwiches for a LOONNNG time, close to 40 years by the time he retired.
Well it's nice to be known for something, isn't it Al.

Posted by: IR (128.253.219.---)
Date: February 19, 2002 09:56PM

The guy at Louie's took my order on the phone the other day BEFORE THEY OPENED, and he'd said he'd get to it, and he called me when it was ready--again before they opened. Now I don't think I'd expect him to do that every day, but the people at Louie's are great.

Date: February 19, 2002 11:00PM

Jim Hyla '67 wrote:

Well it's nice to be known for something, isn't it Al.
Don't feel slighted, Jim... you're known for candy, too! :-D

Date: February 19, 2002 11:12PM

I'll have to agree, Louie's is great. Don't get me wrong, Hot Truck is good, but if you want a sub that doesn't have tomato sauce on it, Louie's is definitely the place. Plus, for the most part, it's cheaper.

Celebrations
Date: February 20, 2002 01:01AM

As much as I would have liked to do it against Clarkson, I hope we'll be celebrating a regular season title Friday[\I] night! (I hope to hear chants of "Clea-ry Tro-phy" over the LynahCam.)

Date: February 20, 2002 10:41AM

And then endowing the Cornell hockey program, right, Rich? :-))

Beeeej

Date: February 20, 2002 10:46AM

Favorite place to eat on a roadtrip, hands down: Plum Blossom on route 7 just outside of Troy, on the RPI/Union trip. Incredibly good Chinese food for comparatively so little money it makes me laugh out loud. Ha ha!!

Usual place to eat on a home hockey weekend: Chariot. The baskets of corn nuggets are getting smaller, but hey, at least the price is increasing...

Beeeej

Date: February 20, 2002 10:48AM

Just make sure you bring enough for the whole class, young lady.

Beeeej

Date: February 20, 2002 11:51AM

Favorite place on the road to eat: Catamount Brewery, Burlington.

Favorite place on the road to grab something really quick when someone has made you late for the game, again: Wings to Go, Providence.

Favorite place on the road to eat, coming back from Boston (or Ithaca): Dakotas, Great Barrington.

Favorite place on the road to drink: (tie) Holmes and Watson, Troy; John Harvard's, Cambridge.

Posted by: jkahn (---.focal5.interaccess.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 09:36PM

If I hadn't just finished dinner, after reading this thread I'd probably be trying to cook myself a PMP right now. After I graduated I used to make them for a while, but they do taste better after you've waited on the Hot Truck steps when it's 5 degrees out and past midnight. What's a WGC? Either I've forgotten or don't know. I was always PMP w/Pep or MBC w/mush.

Date: February 20, 2002 10:24PM

WGC=Wet Garlic and Cheese. Essentially a PMP on garlic bread. It's huge and relatively cheap :-))

Date: February 20, 2002 10:56PM

Graham Meli '02 wrote:

WGC=Wet Garlic and Cheese. Essentially a PMP on garlic bread. It's huge and relatively cheap :-))
Well, technically, a PMP is on a third of a loaf of bread, and a WGC is on a half. A WGC also has less cheese on it.

-Josh "I worked there, trust me"

Date: February 21, 2002 09:02AM

Yes, it's supposed to have less cheese on it, which is why I always used to order a WGC/G&G/Pep/Mush..., until the guy taking orders kept insisting that a Sep-Pep/G&G... was identical. So I'm not convinced there's actually a difference in cheese.

Date: February 21, 2002 09:53AM

The guy taking orders probably doesn't know. He most likely was saving you a little bit of money, though nothing significant in the scheme of things. You can specify lighter cheese, too, if that's what you want.

Posted by: ericho_4511 (---.plymouth.edu)
Date: February 21, 2002 11:46AM

The NYS drinking age was raised from 18 to 19 effective Jan 1, 1985, but
there was a grandfather clause. It was raised again from 19 to 21 effective Jan 1, 1986 without a grandfather clause (the federal government would withhold federal highway money from any state that did not comply with the
21 drinking age).

How do I know this? My birthday is Jan 2, 1967. Therefore I missed legal drining age by ONE DAY both times. The running joke in my family was that they would raise it to 30 once I was about to turn 21. worry

While it made it inconvenient (sometimes nearly impossible) to go to the Palms (the smokiest dive in town), and attend "Group Therapy", or hang out at the Connection. it certainly didn't stop me from drinking. Hey that's what dorm and off-campus parties were for!!!!

Date: February 21, 2002 11:47AM

Melissa, I think the length of this thread has a lot to do with the number of alums who like reminiscing about "the good ole days on the hill." I know I really miss getting Hot Truck for dinner...
The fact that there isn't a long thread about this weekend's games probably has a lot to do with a 7 point lead eliminating most of the (ECAC) implications of the final two weekends.

Date: February 21, 2002 01:12PM

And the jinx factor, perhaps.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login