Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 4 Yale 2

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 4 Yale 2
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2012 11:13AM

Union (1st place) and Harvard (4th) were idle tonight.

All teams now have 18 GP.

26 Uni
25 Cor vs Yal (Won)
23 Col vs Brn (Won)
20 Hvd
19 Clk vs Qpc (Lost)
18 Qpc at Clk (Won)
17 SLU vs Prn (Won)
15 Drt vs RPI (Lost)
15 Yal at Cor (Lost)
13 Prn at SLU (Lost)
13 RPI at Drt (Won)
12 Brn at Col (Lost)
Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2012 10:44PM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell 0 Yale 0 (pregame)
Date: February 11, 2012 06:33PM

Espo and Birch are back.

But D'Ags is out.

Re: Cornell 2 Yale 0 (2nd)
Posted by: mhand06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2012 07:40PM

who scored?

Re: Cornell 2 Yale 0 (2nd)
Date: February 11, 2012 08:03PM

mhand06
who scored?
Collins, Collins, Jillson, McCarron. Halfway through the game, 4-zip.

Re: Cornell 4 Yale 2
Date: February 11, 2012 09:37PM

That 4-point weekend was the first at home against Yale-Brown since the new traveling partnerships began in 2006. The only other pairing against which Cornell has not had a 4-point weekend during that time is the North Country road trip.

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2012 09:40PM

Interesting - didn't realize that '03 and '05 had the exact same 4-point weekends.

Posted by: Greg M (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 11, 2012 10:06PM

Why was D'Agostino out?

Also, not thrilled with how Schafer has used Esposito the last two games. I don't get it. If he isn't well enough to play decent minutes (and I definitely noticed him limping a bit at times) then why dress him? He's the team's most offensively creative player. Putting him on the fourth line isn't going to do much... why not play him on the power play?

I can nitpick some more, but I'm not going to. It was a fun game. The Collins line played great. We won.

Ivy Champs!

Date: February 11, 2012 10:16PM

Greg M
Why was D'Agostino out?
Per the pre-game interview, D'Ags was out with an unspecified injury. It didn't sound serious.

The Collins line was insane. I haven't seen a line dominate like that since... well, since Yale's first line last year.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2012 10:17PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2012 10:30PM

Trotsky
The Collins line was insane. I haven't seen a line dominate like that since... well, since Yale's first line last year.
On the ice for three goals against Yale in New Haven, too: Lowry from Collins and McCarron; Lowry from McCarron and D'Agostino; and Gotovets from Collins and Whitney.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2012 12:19AM

Trotsky
That 4-point weekend was the first at home against Yale-Brown since the new traveling partnerships began in 2006. The only other pairing against which Cornell has not had a 4-point weekend during that time is the North Country road trip.

A reminder that we went between '86 and '02 without a 4-point weekend up there.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2012 12:25AM

Too many late-game fights this weekend. Maybe a scouting report says Cornell can be goaded?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 07:00AM

During the pre game Schafer said that Esposito's injury was not one that would not worsenfrom play but that it will take the off season for full recovery.

Date: February 12, 2012 09:11AM

marty
During the pre game Schafer said that Esposito's injury was not one that would not worsenfrom play but that it will take the off season for full recovery.
Players play hurt, but they should not play injured. This is one of those sucky situations where Espo is going to have a lot of pain but it doesn't mean he's exacerbating the injury. Happens all the time in sports -- it's one of their unsung heroics.

Date: February 12, 2012 09:13AM

RichH
Trotsky

A reminder that we went between '86 and '02 without a 4-point weekend up there.
It's not a fun place.

Date: February 12, 2012 10:25AM

In other good news, the win clinches at least a top 8 finish by Cornell, so we will have more Lynah hockey.

Current conference members' RS by "thirds" since the 1985 reconfig.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 11:19AM

Trotsky
In other good news, the win clinches at least a top 8 finish by Cornell, so we will have more Lynah hockey.

So why isn't the first third colored RED?:-(

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 12, 2012 11:58AM

I know we won and I don't want to be a downer, but I'm a little worried about the fact that last night was the 8th time in 9 games that we scored 0 third period goals.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2012 12:09PM

billhoward
Too many late-game fights this weekend. Maybe a scouting report says Cornell can be goaded?
Wouldn't you try to do that earlier in the game rather than later?

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 01:04PM

jtn27
I know we won and I don't want to be a downer, but I'm a little worried about the fact that last night was the 8th time in 9 games that we scored 0 third period goals.
One of those was 6 on 3. If you don't get scored on in that situation its a miracle.

Date: February 12, 2012 01:12PM

css228
jtn27
One of those was 6 on 3. If you don't get scored on in that situation its a miracle.
The concern was that we are not scoring, not that we're scored upon. I agree, it's suspect. I also don't know what to make of the "fights" at the end of games, or some of the dumb penalties we take earlier in the game. With a less than stellar PK, we need to be smart.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 01:17PM

Greg M

We won.

Ivy Champs!

Last night they were awarded a giant plaque for the Ivy League Championship, and Greg reminded me that Yale had it the for last three years. Thus they clearly had to have brought it with them. Must have been funny for their team to see it being loaded onto the bus when they left New Haven. Harkness would have left it home and UPSd it later. Oh, wait- Harkness would'nt lose it.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 01:35PM

Jim Hyla
css228
jtn27
The concern was that we are not scoring, not that we're scored upon. I agree, it's suspect. I also don't know what to make of the "fights" at the end of games, or some of the dumb penalties we take earlier in the game. With a less than stellar PK, we need to be smart.
There are situations where you want to play conservative and stop trying to score more goals — last night was one of those situations. The team was able to practice D and kill off about 15 minutes of time before the first Yale goal was scored. This experience was more valuable for developing the team than trying to score more. If we played like we did in the first period, our defense would also be more exposed and would give Yale a better chance at a come back. However, there are concerns about momentum when all you're doing is trying to preserve a lead, which the team very well knows at this point.

Date: February 12, 2012 01:53PM

Jim Hyla
I also don't know what to make of the "fights" at the end of games, or some of the dumb penalties we take earlier in the game. With a less than stellar PK, we need to be smart.
Right. Two offensive zone penalties last niight could have let Yale back into the game. Just can't continue doing that against tough teams in important games. You wind up having to beat the odds as well as the tough teams.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 02:35PM

ajh258
Jim Hyla
css228
jtn27
There are situations where you want to play conservative and stop trying to score more goals — last night was one of those situations. The team was able to practice D and kill off about 15 minutes of time before the first Yale goal was scored. This experience was more valuable for developing the team than trying to score more. If we played like we did in the first period, our defense would also be more exposed and would give Yale a better chance at a come back. However, there are concerns about momentum when all you're doing is trying to preserve a lead, which the team very well knows at this point.

I agree that we might have been practicing the lock down defense that Cornell has been so adept at in prior years. Last night it seemed like Schafer was calling off the dogs bears.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 02:36PM by marty.

Date: February 12, 2012 02:49PM

Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla
I also don't know what to make of the "fights" at the end of games, or some of the dumb penalties we take earlier in the game. With a less than stellar PK, we need to be smart.
Right. Two offensive zone penalties last niight could have let Yale back into the game. Just can't continue doing that against tough teams in important games. You wind up having to beat the odds as well as the tough teams.
Absolutely, but its more than a little questionable that every scrum that occurred this weekend resulted in us killing a penalty, even if we didn't instigate it. You'd think some of those would end up being offset entirely. Regardless, we need to just take the high road late in games.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 02:49PM by css228.

Date: February 12, 2012 03:46PM

css228
Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla
Absolutely, but its more than a little questionable that every scrum that occurred this weekend resulted in us killing a penalty, even if we didn't instigate it. You'd think some of those would end up being offset entirely. Regardless, we need to just take the high road late in games.
I'm concerned less about the late-game scrums (dumb as it is to be suckered into them) and more about individual penalties taken in the offensive zone, of which we've taken more than our fair share throughout the season.

Date: February 12, 2012 03:47PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky

Sorry. The new version has it. Also data labels.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 04:07PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2012 04:58PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

How hard would it be to add "blank" (maybe white) wedges for Union and Quinnipiac to represent the years they were not in the league, so that a wedge of X degrees represents the same number of seasons for each team? (For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing pie charts Vermont and Army added in the same way.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 05:05PM

jtwcornell91
How hard would it be to add "blank" (maybe white) wedges for Union and Quinnipiac to represent the years they were not in the league, so that a wedge of X degrees represents the same number of seasons for each team? (For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing pie charts Vermont and Army added in the same way.)
I think this change would miss the point of the chart. If you want to compare numbers, compare numbers: the point of the chart is to visualize a team's proportion of top 1/3:middle 1/3:bottom 1/3 finishes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 05:05PM by Kyle Rose.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2012 05:10PM

anyone hear if the dude who got clocked and bled all over suffered more than just stiches in his head?

Date: February 12, 2012 05:23PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

That's nice, seeing all that Red.:-)Now if I could only find a red smiley my world would be complete.:-D

Posted by: gonyr (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 08:06PM

upprdeck
anyone hear if the dude who got clocked and bled all over suffered more than just stiches in his head?

He went right in front of me as they were taking him out. He looked to be a mess, with blood running down his face and all over his shirt, but seemed to be walking under his own power and talking with the EMTs. "Dude" was an elderly gentleman, probably late 60s or older
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 08:07PM by gonyr.

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 09:14PM

Al DeFlorio
css228
Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla
I'm concerned less about the late-game scrums (dumb as it is to be suckered into them) and more about individual penalties taken in the offensive zone, of which we've taken more than our fair share throughout the season.

Friday scrum was OK with me. Axell was standing up for Mihalek who was absolutely creamed with a good hard check right in from of me. But Saturday night's was just crap that they need to be smart enough not to get involved in.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 13, 2012 08:06AM

Can someone explain something to me? Yale player gets a 5 minute major for something (face mask?) in one of the 3rd period scrums. Cornell player gets 2 minutes for roughing or high-sticking or something. Yale gets a power play. Huh?

I always thought if you get a five minute major you play a man down for five full minutes (unless it's matching majors). When did this rule change?

Edit: Never mind. I missed Lowry's 5 for cross-checking.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 08:18AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2012 08:22AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Can someone explain something to me? Yale player gets a 5 minute major for something (face mask?) in one of the 3rd period scrums. Cornell player gets 2 minutes for roughing or high-sticking or something. Yale gets a power play. Huh?

I always thought if you get a five minute major you play a man down for five full minutes (unless it's matching majors). When did this rule change?

Looks like there were matching majors; Lowry got 5+2
	 YAL-5 Clinton Bourbonais (5-FACEMASKING) 	18:33 
	 COR-7 Joel Lowry (5-Cross-Checking) 	18:33 
	 COR-8 Joel Lowry (2-Unsportsmanlike Conduct) YAL 1x6 	18:33
So Bourbonais and Lowry both go into the box, along with another Cornellian to serve Lowry's minor. Only the minor gets put on the board, but Bourbonais sits for five minutes, and Lowry sits for five minutes from the end of the minor (which as it turns out was at 19:10 when Yale scored the 5x3 PPG). Of course since there was no overtime, they just sat for the rest of the game.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2012 09:33AM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

I'll definitely add UVM and Army. Army might just be a big green urinal cake.

I was also planning on going back to the beginning of the conference ("thirds" would take on a variable meaning in absolute standing) with another chart.

If I were competent I would be able to make them highly interactive charts with slider bars for the years you wanted to display, etc. But if I were competent I'd charge. :)

Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: February 13, 2012 12:25PM

Trotsky
But if I were competent I'd charge. :)
Don't give Age any ideas.....**]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2012 12:26PM

Greg M
Ivy Champs!
I don't care if it's not as important as the other titles the team hopes to win; it's a championship to be won, and goddammit, better us than than anybody else.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 13, 2012 12:46PM

Josh '99
Greg M
Ivy Champs!
I don't care if it's not as important as the other titles the team hopes to win; it's a championship to be won, and goddammit, better us than than anybody else.

Certainly the team was excited about winning it, and that's important.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 13, 2012 01:22PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Josh '99
Greg M
Ivy Champs!

It's a banner.

It seems weird to think that it's been SIX years since we last hoisted that one.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: February 13, 2012 01:38PM

RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82
Josh '99
Greg M
Ivy Champs!

It's a banner.

It seems weird to think that it's been SEVEN years since we last hoisted that one.

FYP uhoh

Posted by: TheMatrix (---.ccmr.cornell.edu)
Date: February 13, 2012 05:29PM

Collins Goal #1:

Collins Goal #2 with McCarron feverishly/humorously trying to stay onside:

With regard to the fisticuffs/late penalties on Saturday, it seemed obvious to me that Yale was trying all game to goad our guys into fights and stupid penalties. I noted to my friends how restrained they were to the Yale chirping/provocation compared to Friday night. Only after we were up 4 did they seem to take the bait and the really late stuff seemed more of a middle finger to Yale because they could. I definitely would like to see them take the high road in the such situations and not even give them a late chance.

Regarding the 6 on 3 goal mentioned earlier, it was actually only a 5 on 3 and I thought it was a little strange they didn't pull their sieve, but I guess it worked for them.

On some other notes, I thought Espo looked pretty good when he wasn't limping off the ice, but of course I'd love to see him fully healed with more ice time. Ferlin continued to look fantastic and I agree with Schafer that it's kind of amazing the Ferlin/Miller/Mowrey couldn't get one in the back of the net given their chances.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 13, 2012 06:12PM

Since we're on a Yale thread, what do Yale, AIC and UConn have in common?

Answer: They are the only three teams in the country to lose to Sacred Heart this season. UConn joined this select group on Sunday, when it lost to Sacred Heart 2-1 in overtime.

Date: February 13, 2012 06:27PM

TheMatrix
Regarding the 6 on 3 goal mentioned earlier, it was actually only a 5 on 3 and I thought it was a little strange they didn't pull their sieve, but I guess it worked for them.{/quote} Thought it was but it happened so quickly off the faceoff that I must have seen the sieve go off for the delayed penalty and not see him come back on.

Date: February 14, 2012 06:57AM

Specifics on the Espo injury in today's Ithaca Journal: [www.theithacajournal.com]|topnews|text|Sports

Date: February 14, 2012 07:02AM

Al DeFlorio
Specifics on the Espo injury in today's Ithaca Journal: [www.theithacajournal.com]|topnews|text|Sports
Anybody who's had a severe high ankle sprain can sympathize. They are annoyingly painful and seem to take forever to heal.

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2012 07:28AM

I hope he has the team's Iron Man award locked up - certainly don't want anybody else to have to battle through worse injuries between now and April 7!

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2012 12:14PM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
Anybody who's had a severe high ankle sprain can sympathize. They are annoyingly painful and seem to take forever to heal.

All the more important that we seem to be zeroing in on a first-round bye.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 14, 2012 01:26PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky
Al DeFlorio

We're 6 ahead of Clarkson and 7 on Q. So beating Clarkson Friday would do it.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.corp.tfbnw.net)
Date: February 14, 2012 10:24PM

Jim Hyla
Scersk '97
Trotsky
Al DeFlorio

We're 6 ahead of Clarkson and 7 on Q. So beating Clarkson Friday would do it.

Based on the ECAC in a nutshell page (thanks JTW!), any combination of 2 points in the last 4 games would do it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login