Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2/3/12_Cornell_RPI_2-2 tie

Posted by Rita 
2/3/12_Cornell_RPI_2-2 tie
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 08:54PM

Game preview courtesy of the NHL.com.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 01:25AM by Rita.

Re: Cornell_RPI pregame
Posted by: jaywbigred (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 10:52PM

I'll be at the game with a fellow alum. Anyone else going? Anyone ever been to Houston? Have no idea what to expect in terms of atmosphere, Cornell crowd presence, etc... Bought tickets on a whim because I realized we'd be driving through Troy anyway on our way from NJ to VT for a ski trip.

GO RED!

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 11:03PM

jaywbigred
I'll be at the game with a fellow alum. Anyone else going? Anyone ever been to Houston? Have no idea what to expect in terms of atmosphere, Cornell crowd presence, etc... Bought tickets on a whim because I realized we'd be driving through Troy anyway on our way from NJ to VT for a ski trip.

GO RED!
Here's a discussion from a year ago: [elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 09:22AM

I just noticed this today -- it's on their front page on the right sidebar. I can't remember the last time nhl.com covered college hockey except maybe during the tournament. Any idea why the sudden interest?

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 09:29AM

NBC Sports has posted this article in addition to the coverage that the Cornell-RPI game has on NHL.com. Joe Yerdon, the author of the article, focuses upon the inability of this year's Cornell team to defend a lead in the third period.

Posted by: css228 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2012 10:21AM

ftyuv
I just noticed this today -- it's on their front page on the right sidebar. I can't remember the last time nhl.com covered college hockey except maybe during the tournament. Any idea why the sudden interest?
Well I know that my interest in pro-hockey has sky-rocketed since I bought season tickets at Cornell. Maybe they figure creating a general hockey culture in the US can only be good for the sport and the best way to d that is promote the NCAA because the CHL won't catch over here.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 10:47AM

Rita
Game preview courtesy of the NHL.com.

That 4-1 Rennselaer [sic] victory over Clarkson certainly was impressive. rolleyes

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 12:54PM

Aaron M. Griffin
NBC Sports has posted this article in addition to the coverage that the Cornell-RPI game has on NHL.com. Joe Yerdon, the author of the article, focuses upon the inability of this year's Cornell team to defend a lead in the third period.

Joe is an RPI fan, and he used to post on USCHO as GreatLakerMohawk. He was interviewed by the RPI Blog Without a Peer yesterday. It's available for replay. [www.withoutapeer.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 03, 2012 01:15PM

Here's the IJ article. Unfortunately not the best. Got Yale/Clarkson and Engineers/Dutchman mixed up. But some nice quotes from Schafer.

Here's the Sun article. Interestingly, I think better written, with some nice quotes from the players.

And the Times-Union article.

And, and, Ken Schott's blog stating Union goalie Grosenick may be not able to play against Colgate tonight.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 01:26PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 01:50PM

Haven't plowed through it all, yet. Is Espo back?

Also, what's with the supposed Schafer-Appert beef in the NBC article?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 01:55PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2012 03:46PM

Trotsky

If it does exist and I had to guess, I'd say it probably stems from that game last year where RPI fans and Appert whined incessantly about the officiating and a hockey "reporter" got into a shouting match with Paul Stewart and then railed against him in an opinion piece that College Hockey News refused to publish:

[www.withoutapeer.com]

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2012 04:40PM

I may be wrong but I seem to remember Appert whining about us clutching and grabbing/beating his team up in years prior as well.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 05:20PM

Trotsky

Could have something to do with this Burgdoerfer blast from the past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 05:20PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2012 07:38PM

Just a reminder; eLynah Chat is active. Click on the "Chat" link to the right.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: 2/3/12_Cornell_RPI_2-2 tie
Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 08:11AM

Another lead squandered.
Yes, Birch was out early, but that wasn't it. Nor was it the lack of Espo.
They just seem to run out of gas. Consistently beaten to the puck in the 3rd period & OT.
And, yes Isles made some stellar saves. But, he still spends way too much time on his belly.

Back in the fall I thought, well, they're young....but, the freshmen are highly regarded. Maybe they'll surprise us.
Then I started to get my hopes up.
Now? Look ahead to next year? Can they turn it around tonight??

Well, at least it's almost lacrosse season.
doh

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 08:22AM

I know we scored twice on power plays, and a goal is a goal, but our power play looks like a mess to me. We dont seem to be able to move the puck effectively around the perimiter and struggle with the forecheck.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 09:49AM

Disappointing. We could have done better, say play a third period as good as the first two. Shots 19-10 Cornell in the first two periods, then 12-4 RPI in the third. Nice to know our power play, not matter how it looks, can score (both goals); not so nice to know we can't put one even strength goal past RPI. Really need to beat Union tonight to have a solid chance to end the RS as No. 1 in the standings and the better seedings that affords.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 09:56AM by billhoward.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 10:48AM

It's not time to give up yet. We hadn't lost back to back games until last weekend, and this is a team that's too young to not have a bad stretch.

That being said, we need to figure out what's wrong in the third. Maybe it's conditioning? We really did look pretty dead out there (being down a dman doesn't help.) Furthermore, we had no answer for RPI's forecheck whatsoever.

Also would have been nice if the refs remembered they had whistles towards the end of the game. Ferlin's OT breakaway was a clear trip. There were a few other chances where Cornell had RPI's defense beat and they went to the desperation hook/trip.

But still, bottom line is we need to find a better way to break out of our zone. WAY too many defensive zone turnovers.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 04, 2012 11:51AM

Cornell under Schafer, when leading after two periods:

Before this season: 140-7-9
This season: 8-3-2

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 12:09PM

ebilmes

If you took 2+ goals leads I'll bet the results are much scarier.

Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, three times is enemy action. There's definitely a problem. No idea what it is, but we haven't just blown leads, we've been completely dominated while it was happening. I am hesitant to bandy about mystical, unquantifiable terms like "leadership," but the demoralization of the squad during these breakdowns is abnormal. I have seen a few Cornell teams who quit when they were two goals down. Never seen one that did it when they were two goals up. screwy

A win tonight would atone for A LOT of sins and as we've seen, when these guys play well they are scary good.

In the end the soundest advice is Schafer's: bury those chances during the fat times. Build enough of a lead to survive the lean times.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 12:15PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2012 12:16PM

So I just watched some of the replays. The hit on Birch looked legal. It looks like the damage occurred when his head hit the glass. The announcers looked correct in saying the elbows were down and he didn't leave his feet to make the check.

The third period goals to tie the game were defensive mental mistakes, not physical tiredness. On the first one, D'Agostino points to Mowrey to cover the RPI scorer, who is alone above the face-off circle. D'Agostino goes to cover in front of the goal, but Mowery does not pick up his man and he skates in alone to take the pass and shoot into an open goal.

On the second goal, RPI has a 2-1 break, soon to be 3-2. Both of our D-men go to the 2 RPI players around the puck near the boards. Our forward is too far behind the third RPI player. Whitney is left at the boards and Ryan overplays the puck carrier too much and can't stop the easy pass over to the open RPI player. Iles was correctly playing the puck carrier and is left out to dry on the scorer.

Both of these could easily have been stopped. On the first D'Agostino clearly tells Mowrey what to do, and on the second, Ryan should not have pushed too close to the puck handler. You'd hope that Mowery would have known what to do, and that Ryan will learn and never do it again.

The breakaway by Ferlin was clearly a trip. The defender was behind and slid forward, swinging his stick to trip Ferlin as he was making his move. It could have been a penalty shot.

Posted by: RichH (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: February 04, 2012 12:24PM

Trotsky
ebilmes

If you took 2+ goals leads I'll bet the results are much scarier.

Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, three times is enemy action. There's definitely a problem. No idea what it is, but we haven't just blown leads, we've been completely dominated while it was happening. I am hesitant to bandy about mystical, unquantifiable terms like "leadership," but the demoralization of the squad during these breakdowns is abnormal. I have seen a few Cornell teams who got down and quit when they were two goals down. Never seen one that did it when they were two goals up. screwy

A win tonight would make up for A LOT or mistakes and as we've seen, when these guys play well they are scary good.

After the 1st RPI goal last night, I started wondering why opposing fans show up before the 3rd period against CU. It has to be in our heads now. I will say that I felt we had a lot more chances in the 3rd than we did late vs. Harvard or Colgate. We clanged the crossbar during the 1st RPI goal PA announcement, about 10 seconds after the faceoff, and I'd give a lot to see Ferlin get another chance at finishing that breakaway. After the game was tied, CU seemed to play with a bit more desperation, even going into a more end-to-end style with RPI. I'd even go so far to say we had the better scoring attempt in OT.

But man, this is frustrating.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 03:26PM

Date: February 04, 2012 03:54PM

Jim Hyla
On the second goal, RPI has a 2-1 break, soon to be 3-2. Both of our D-men go to the 2 RPI players around the puck near the boards. Our forward is too far behind the third RPI player. Whitney is left at the boards and Ryan overplays the puck carrier too much and can't stop the easy pass over to the open RPI player. Iles was correctly playing the puck carrier and is left out to dry on the scorer.

The forward was Dias, and it looked to me that he was dogging it on his backcheck. We all know that guy has the speed to keep up with anyone he chooses to. Great backchecking has always been a Cornell hallmark. I am sure Schafer will properly instruct him as to the relationship between backchecking effort and playing time.

We don't seem to have a problem with conditioning, given the flying, controlling play in overtime; we seem to have a problem with concentration. This is a very young team. Colgate is not, and look what they did protecting a lead at Lynah.

And, to be honest, they have better seniors. Ross I have no problems with, but then there are the others: Whitney is not the guy I expect to show enough concentration to control a third period, or any puck wrapping around the boards, for that matter; Jillson has always been a bit fragile, like Roeszler without an upside; and Collins, unfortunately, has never developed past the Tony Bergin stage on breakaways. Was there any guy we needed more to have that big senior year than Collins? Looking specifically at this last game, Collins had a great chance, where he had dropped his shoulder heading to the net and all he had to do was draw the puck across and get hauled down or pop it in. Both defender and goalie were severely compromised. What did he do? Flick it backhand uselessly.

(Seriously, remember Bergin? Has there ever been a player who so much looked the part but couldn't put a puck in the net to save his life? Rich and I used to groan every time Bergin got a breakaway, because you knew the puck wasn't going in the net. Again.)

So, my prescription? Birch and Espo need to get healthy. The freshmen need to bear down NOW. The seniors need to start playing like seniors.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2012 04:07PM

LaJollaRed
I prefer the Hitchhiker's Guide personally.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2012 04:26PM

Anybody who gets the text updates from Cornell Athletics received this gem shortly before 11:00 Eastern time last night:

"Men's Hockey salvages hard-earned 2-2 tie at Rensselaer..."

Salvages? Salvages?? Hard-earned??? wtf Yo Sidearm- the third period started with the score Cornell 2 RPI 0!doh

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 04:58PM

Scersk '97
(Seriously, remember Bergin? Has there ever been a player who so much looked the part but couldn't put a puck in the net to save his life?
Shane Hynes.

I thought Collins looked good until the third, when nobody looked good.

They did pick it up for the last 5 of regulation and the overtime, so perhaps that is a good sign.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 08:57PM

Jim Hyla
The breakaway by Ferlin was clearly a trip. The defender was behind and slid forward, swinging his stick to trip Ferlin as he was making his move. It could have been a penalty shot.
Schafer was mouthing at the officials after the game. I'm sure he was probably complaining, among other things, about the no-call on Ferlin's breakaway.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2012 10:27PM

css228
LaJollaRed
I prefer the Hitchhiker's Guide personally.

Must remember to bring a towel this weekend.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 04, 2012 11:31PM

With tonights's tie against Union, we haven't scored a 3rd period goal since January 13 at Quinnipiac (we did get an OT goal against Dartmouth on the 20th). That's 7 games without a 3rd period goal.

Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2012 12:12AM

On the bright side...if they ever get the 3rd period figured out they could be scary good. They've had a great chance to win in the third period of every game this year. The 2-1 loss to Colgate loss was probably the worst chance of them all and that was only a 1 goal 3rd period deficit. Probably won't happen but part of me hopes they''ll get it straightened just as the playoffs get here.

Posted by: snert1288 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2012 01:10AM

Yes. That is the silver lining I see in each of these games. I appears that we are good enough to skate with just about any team, at least any team in the ECAC. This is quite different from the past few years where we had to play a really great game to keep it close with Yale (or Union last year). But, we are also bad enough to tie just about any team this year. We have to find a way to channel the Cornell team of late October and November.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2012 08:07AM

jtn27
With tonights's tie against Union, we haven't scored a 3rd period goal since January 13 at Quinnipiac (we did get an OT goal against Dartmouth on the 20th). That's 7 games without a 3rd period goal.

We're also winless in our last five games. panic

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2012 08:08AM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2012 08:01AM

Scersk '97
Whitney is not the guy I expect to show enough concentration to control a third period, or any puck wrapping around the boards, for that matter
Interesting tidbid from USCHO's preview of the Yale/Brown games: Whitney and Birch have apparently been on the ice for exactly 1 even strength goal against this season. That's a pretty amazing - we've given up 30 even-strength goals in 23 games, and only one is on them.

Date: February 10, 2012 09:40AM

Robb
Scersk '97
Whitney is not the guy I expect to show enough concentration to control a third period, or any puck wrapping around the boards, for that matter
Interesting tidbid from USCHO's preview of the Yale/Brown games: Whitney and Birch have apparently been on the ice for exactly 1 even strength goal against this season. That's a pretty amazing - we've given up 30 even-strength goals in 23 games, and only one is on them.

Hunh. What can I say but that perception does not always reflect reality? I bow to cold, hard facts.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: February 10, 2012 03:31PM

Scersk '97
Robb
Scersk '97

Hunh. What can I say but that perception does not always reflect reality? I bow to cold, hard facts.

Yeah, but we want a really meaningful stat like their plus/minus. :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login