Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Colgate starting time

Posted by dbilmes 
Colgate starting time
Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 06:48PM

The eLynah countdown clock has the Colgate game Friday night starting at 7, but the TV schedule and the Cornell Hockey website both have the game listed as starting at 7:30. I'm assuming this one of the rare occasions when eLynah is wrong.

Re: Colgate starting time
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2012 07:12PM

dbilmes
The eLynah countdown clock has the Colgate game Friday night starting at 7, but the TV schedule and the Cornell Hockey website both have the game listed as starting at 7:30. I'm assuming this one of the rare occasions when eLynah is wrong.

Maybe it's a trick to get the students (especially Section D) to show up on time for once. (Since they all check the eLynah countdown clock constantly, of course).

Saturday night was the first time I've seen a section mostly empty for intros at a Harvard game in the Schafer era. E & F were full, probably because they're GA. It did fill up, but it surprised me.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2012 08:03PM

From an Athletics email earlier this evening:

Friday's men's ice hockey game, where no. 6 Cornell hosts no. 20 Colgate, will be televised live on the CBS Sports Network. The opening face-off time as been moved to 7:30 p.m. due to the live TV coverage. The Lynah Rink doors will open at 6:30 p.m. rather than the normal 6:00 p.m. opening time. Please make note of the time change and plan accordingly.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: underskill (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2012 10:31PM

nowhere better to put this, but somewhat similar issues to Lynah...

[dukechronicle.com]

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 12:16AM

Lynah is also incredibly expensive for season tickets for students. I couldn't imagine not buying them every year, but even at this years reduced price, I know a lot of people who wanted to buy hockey tickets but not at that price. Of course the revenue those tickets produce allow us to be incredibly competitive. Maybe a deep run this year will drum up excitement for next year.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 05:46AM

Beeeej
From an Athletics email earlier this evening:

Friday's men's ice hockey game, where no. 6 Cornell hosts no. 20 Colgate, will be televised live on the CBS Sports Network. The opening face-off time as been moved to 7:30 p.m. due to the live TV coverage. The Lynah Rink doors will open at 6:30 p.m. rather than the normal 6:00 p.m. opening time. Please make note of the time change and plan accordingly.

Please make a note of this time, we wouldn't want anyone getting to the rink early.bang

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 08:33AM

Article on Austin Smith and this weekends games from The Syracuse Post-Standard.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 08:36AM

I've seen the start time on other locations listed as 7:36 pm tonight, not 7:30 pm. The weekend picks from USCHO's Nate Owen was the latest medium that provided that time.

Nate Owen
The bad news? The Raiders have yet to win a game in 2012. The worse news? Cornell is 8-0-3 against Colgate dating to 2007 and are currently one of the nation’s hottest teams. Note the 7:36 start time, as this one will be broadcast on CBS College Sports Network. Cornell 4-2

Date: January 27, 2012 08:47AM

Aaron M. Griffin
I've seen the start time on other locations listed as 7:36 pm tonight, not 7:30 pm. The weekend picks from USCHO's Nate Owen was the latest medium that provided that time.

Nate Owen
The bad news? The Raiders have yet to win a game in 2012. The worse news? Cornell is 8-0-3 against Colgate dating to 2007 and are currently one of the nation’s hottest teams. Note the 7:36 start time, as this one will be broadcast on CBS College Sports Network. Cornell 4-2

Well, I'm sure the broadcast has to do a brief pre-game talking-head thing, give lineups, and have a first commercial break before the puck actually drops.

Anyway, Section D has 6 more minutes to begin trickling in.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 10:38AM

css228
Lynah is also incredibly expensive for season tickets for students. I couldn't imagine not buying them every year, but even at this years reduced price, I know a lot of people who wanted to buy hockey tickets but not at that price.
Maybe that's so. But the Harvard game was sold out. Once you've spent the money on a ticket "it's so expensive" is irrelevant. Heck, if the tickets are so expensive you'd think people would want to get the most value for their money by seeing the entire game.

Posted by: css228 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: January 27, 2012 10:48AM

KeithK
css228
Lynah is also incredibly expensive for season tickets for students. I couldn't imagine not buying them every year, but even at this years reduced price, I know a lot of people who wanted to buy hockey tickets but not at that price.
Maybe that's so. But the Harvard game was sold out. Once you've spent the money on a ticket "it's so expensive" is irrelevant. Heck, if the tickets are so expensive you'd think people would want to get the most value for their money by seeing the entire game.
Yes but there were extra student tickets left to be bought on Thursday morning. A friend of mines fraternity bought 32 tickets in section E and used it as their rush event. If season tickets weren't so expensive, then the student section would be sold out by season tickets alone.

Posted by: dag14 (---.ag.cornell.edu)
Date: January 27, 2012 12:46PM

How much money do students spend on 2.5 hours worth of alcohol consumption? Two six packs of Brooklyn Lager, Magic Hat, etc., cost more than a student ticket to a hockey game.

I realize there are many students who are on tight budgets and whose families do not have a lot of disposable income. However, to say that $13-15 for an evening's entertainment is "too expensive" is an exaggeration in the case of at least 1500 students -- approx the number of student season ticket holders. Now if you are going to follow the hockey game with several hours of drinking topped off by a Hot Truck sub or two, if you are on a budget, of course the part to skip is the hockey game.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:22PM

dag14
How much money do students spend on 2.5 hours worth of alcohol consumption? Two six packs of Brooklyn Lager, Magic Hat, etc., cost more than a student ticket to a hockey game.

I realize there are many students who are on tight budgets and whose families do not have a lot of disposable income. However, to say that $13-15 for an evening's entertainment is "too expensive" is an exaggeration in the case of at least 1500 students -- approx the number of student season ticket holders. Now if you are going to follow the hockey game with several hours of drinking topped off by a Hot Truck sub or two, if you are on a budget, of course the part to skip is the hockey game.

I agree with the sentiments and I was certainly on a budget during my time on the Hill (which ended May 2010), but I do not think that undermines css228's point. His point is that student season ticket prices and attendance by season-ticket holders within the typical student sections has been depressed by the increasing cost of student season tickets. One might be able to rationalize spending $15.00-18.00 a few times a year, but not be able to pay the lump sum of $234.00 up-front for an entire season of hockey.

Economic analysis indicates that individuals will spend more money if given the same option to pay smaller denominations more often than to pay a smaller sum at one time. Even though it may make little rational sense to you, the behavior of students not buying season tickets is both understandable for price and predictable by behavioral analysis.

The ticket pricing ensures that only those wealthy enough to afford tickets without a second thought, or those willing to make other sacrifices to pay for the tickets can hold season tickets. Wealth and ability to pay elevated ticket prices is not predictive of passion and dedication among the Lynah Faithful. I made the choice to ask for the funds to cover tickets costs as a gift during my time on the Hill, but I had many friends while I was at Cornell who intimated to me similar sentiments as those that css228 describes that they would have been season-ticket holders had the cost of tickets not increased. I agree that those who will choose to expend meager funds on beer instead of high quality hockey at historic Lynah Rink do not deserve to be season-ticket holders, but the point is that many more, who would be otherwise dedicated fans, do not make those decisions still cannot afford season tickets because of their higher prices.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:29PM

Since Colgate considers Cornell its major rival while Cornell only considers Colgate a minor diversion until the next Harvard game, we should break out this chant that UNC uses against North Carolina State.

[www.grantland.com]

Date: January 27, 2012 01:36PM

jtn27
Since Colgate considers Cornell its major rival while Cornell only considers Colgate a minor diversion until the next Harvard game, we should break out this chant that UNC uses against North Carolina State.

[www.grantland.com]

Shane Ryan
"Not our ri-val! (clap-clap clap-clap-clap)"

I would be ecstatic were that to work its way into the repertoire of the Lynah Faithful. Colgate makes such a big out of the "rivalry" that it is laughable. I will be stuck in the nether realm of Section E, but I will echo it if someone in the better-positioned sections starts it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:41PM

Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27

[www.grantland.com]

Shane Ryan

I would be ecstatic were that to work its way into the repertoire of the Lynah Faithful. Colgate makes such a big out of the "rivalry" that it is laughable. I will be stuck in the nether realm of Section E, but I will echo it if someone in the better-positioned sections starts it.
Harvard should do this to us. If they had fans, I mean.

Date: January 27, 2012 01:45PM

Trotsky
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27

[www.grantland.com]

Shane Ryan

Harvard should do this to us. If they had fans, I mean.

Modified quote from the Q postgame thread:

French Rage
Harvard fans, if they had them, would never echo jeering. That's a new money thing.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:46PM

the cost of 14+ games is a little over $15 a game , thats about the price of a movie.. when i first started going it was about $60 a season.

I think the tickets are over priced a bit. and in reality when the price starts getting to $20-$25+ a ticket, which is getting close , it may be time to give up season tickets and just go to most games, instead of buying seasons and trying to sell half the time..

demand has gone way down.

but for kids paying $50k to go to school does $250 really make a dent?

I also think the school should get with the real world.. offer a payroll decuction for employees to spread the cost out. and do the same for the kids, bursar the bill across 6 months or offer quarterly payments or something.

it also doesnt help the school that so many teams travel so poorly..

Date: January 27, 2012 01:47PM

jtn27

[www.grantland.com]
I like it, trying to find a way to make it our own, but if I can't come up with a better phrasing I'll gladly start it as is, assuming a good moment arises. These things can't be forced.

Edit: I'd also love to add something I just saw that UNH does to Catholic teams when they receive penalties. They're start berating the players serving time from BC and Providence with a chant of "Ten-Hail-Mar-y's *clap-clap clap-clap-clap*". I don't even care that we'd be appropriating it from UNH, it's a brilliant chant whenever you're playing a catholic school.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 01:56PM by css228.

Date: January 27, 2012 01:54PM

css228
jtn27

[www.grantland.com]
I like it, trying to find a way to make it our own, but if I can't come up with a better phrasing I'll gladly start it as is, assuming a good moment arises. These things can't be forced.

Thanks. I will be taking a younger cousin to see the game and even though he's been to Lynah, the mood won't be right to start belting that out. We'll all join in though.

Also, chants started in E/D tend to die unceremonious deaths.

Date: January 27, 2012 01:54PM

upprdeck

You have to remember, a lot of students are here on financial aid. Not everyone pays $50K. For some students $250 is a substantial amount of money on top of what they are already paying.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (209.68.78.---)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:59PM

jtn27
upprdeck

You have to remember, a lot of students are here on financial aid. Not everyone pays $50K. For some students $250 is a substantial amount of money on top of what they are already paying.

How much is a tube of toothpaste??

innocent

Date: January 27, 2012 02:01PM

Aaron M. Griffin
css228
jtn27

[www.grantland.com]

Thanks. I will be taking a younger cousin to see the game and even though he's been to Lynah, the mood won't be right to start belting that out. We'll all join in though.

Thinking about it the best place for this chant is probably Starr for those who are traveling to Hamilton tomorrow. Not that this fact should stop anyone tonight.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 02:09PM

css228
jtn27

[www.grantland.com]

Edit: I'd also love to add something I just saw that UNH does to Catholic teams when they receive penalties. They're start berating the players serving time from BC and Providence with a chant of "Ten-Hail-Mar-y's *clap-clap clap-clap-clap*". I don't even care that we'd be appropriating it from UNH, it's a brilliant chant whenever you're playing a catholic school.

I like the "not our rival" cheer. But are any of the ECAC schools Jesuit?

Date: January 27, 2012 02:11PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
css228
jtn27

[www.grantland.com]

Nope we'd have to be playing someone like BC or Providence. Just food for thought for potential future match ups.

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: January 27, 2012 02:27PM

Johnny 5
jtn27
upprdeck

innocent
Were you Marie Antoinette in a past life? If you're broke when you enroll at Cornell, those grants and loans which cover your tuition cost will leave you, hmmm, let's see...carry the 2...oh, yep: still broke. I assure you that there are people at Cornell who struggle on a weekly basis to make ends meet (no, I wasn't one of them). If you didn't know any, then you missed out on meeting some amazing and inspiring people.

Age, you're going to have to bring back that "-1" button...

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: January 27, 2012 02:30PM

Johnny 5
jtn27
upprdeck

innocent
When it's hockey tickets or books, as it was for me freshman year, it makes a difference. Particularly when I could walk another fifty yards east and watch basketball for free.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 02:39PM

css228
Jeff Hopkins '82
css228
jtn27

[www.grantland.com]

Nope we'd have to be playing someone like BC or Providence. Just food for thought for potential future match ups.

Not to mention Merrimack or Notre Dame (if we get into the ECAC tourney this year).

Date: January 27, 2012 06:15PM

I am happy to admit that the price of hockey season tickets are pricey for many students. Not everyone can have fellowship pay for three years of season tickets (true story!) But the cost doesn't explain why students who have tickets can't get their butts (feet?) in their seats by the opening faceoff. Bringing up cost is just rationalizing "bad" behavior.

(Substitute "weak" or "lame" or some other pejorative word for "bad" in the above.)

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 06:39PM

css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
jtn27

[www.grantland.com]

Thinking about it the best place for this chant is probably Starr for those who are traveling to Hamilton tomorrow. Not that this fact should stop anyone tonight.

I agree that the time has to be right, but disagree about Lynah vs. Starr: it's not every night that we have a national audience on television. We won't have that tomorrow at Starr.

Date: January 27, 2012 06:50PM

Aaron M. Griffin
css228
Aaron M. Griffin
css228
jtn27

[www.grantland.com]

I agree that the time has to be right, but disagree about Lynah vs. Starr: it's not every night that we have a national audience on television. We won't have that tomorrow at Starr.
True but it hurts more in your own barn.

Date: January 27, 2012 06:56PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Not to mention Merrimack or Notre Dame (if we get into the ECAC tourney this year).

We have to be getting close to clinching a spot in that prestigious and exclusive tournament by now, right? ;-)

Date: January 27, 2012 06:58PM

Aaron M. Griffin

That's really a factor these days? Performing for the cameras? Ugh. doh

Smile pretty, and be sure to jump up and down and yell only when the rink-side camera guy waves his arms telling you to do so.

Date: January 27, 2012 07:00PM

KeithK
I am happy to admit that the price of hockey season tickets are pricey for many students. Not everyone can have fellowship pay for three years of season tickets (true story!) But the cost doesn't explain why students who have tickets can't get their butts (feet?) in their seats by the opening faceoff. Bringing up cost is just rationalizing "bad" behavior.

(Substitute "weak" or "lame" or some other pejorative word for "bad" in the above.)
Two words: General admission. Doesn't solve everything, but would help.

Date: January 27, 2012 07:10PM

Ben
KeithK

Been saying that since they got rid of general admission (by section) 15+ years ago.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 07:17PM

I must be the only one who thought he was making a sarcastic joke refering to the expense added to the ticket cost when the opponent was Colgate...bolt

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 07:19PM

RichH
Aaron M. Griffin

Smile pretty, and be sure to jump up and down and yell only when the rink-side camera guy waves his arms telling you to do so.

Yup, do what RichH says, he has a knack for being seen on TV :).

Date: January 27, 2012 07:20PM

KeithK
css228

Very much in-line with my point. If I, as a CU hockey fan, were to pick one moment in every regular season that I would want to be present for, it's when Harvard first steps out onto the Lynah ice. I know that the demand is no longer bringing $50+ per ticket anymore for that game, but it just surprised me to see an enormous block of empty benches in a student section. Those seats were sold, and later full. Even when the trend of showing up late for other games started happening, the Harvard game was always packed and energy up well before the teams came out after warmups. Now, it just seems chanting "we want Harvard" at the end of the previous game is just another Thing To Do, and about as meaningful as doing a half-hearted "townies up" gesture at every game, close or not.

Yeah, I'll stop with the "Kids These Days" griping soon enough.

Date: January 27, 2012 07:22PM

Rita
RichH
Aaron M. Griffin

That's true, Rita, and I don't know why. Probably because camera dudes seem to find tall, screaming guys in team jerseys. But please tell the good people if any of those times, you saw me mugging for the camera or popping my jersey or whatever. The only reason I ever knew I had been on camera was that my cell phone started buzzing with incoming txts.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 07:26PM by RichH.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 07:29PM

RichH
Rita
RichH
Aaron M. Griffin

That's true, Rita, and I don't know why. But please tell the good people if any of those times, you saw me mugging for the camera or popping my jersey or whatever. The only reason I ever knew I had been on camera was that my cell phone started buzzing with incoming txts.

Okay kids, when RichH is on TV he isn't mugging for the camera. He is intently watching the game, usually wearing a ball cap, jersey and no face paint. RichH has a face that the cameras love, no embellishments or excessive celebrations needed.

(is this okay Rich?) **]

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 07:32PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

It always pisses off St Lawrence people when anyone assumes they are a Catholic (capital letters,now) school. Let's use it on them.:-}

Date: January 27, 2012 07:33PM

KeithK
Ben
KeithK

Been saying that since they got rid of general admission (by section) 15+ years ago.
If nothing else, it ensures that the empty benches will be at the back, and therefore less visible. Reward people who make the effort to show up early.

Date: January 27, 2012 07:34PM

Rita
RichH
Rita
RichH
Aaron M. Griffin

That's true, Rita, and I don't know why. But please tell the good people if any of those times, you saw me mugging for the camera or popping my jersey or whatever. The only reason I ever knew I had been on camera was that my cell phone started buzzing with incoming txts.

Okay kids, when RichH is on TV he isn't mugging for the camera. He is intently watching the game, usually wearing a ball cap, jersey and no face paint. RichH has a face that the cameras love, no embellishments or excessive celebrations needed.

(is this okay Rich?) **]

Haha, sure. demented

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2012 07:44PM

Note to Self: Next time a national cable sports network is broadcasting a Cornell men's hockey game, and you're planning to watch it at home, double-check in advance that you actually subscribe to that network.

*sigh*

Well, at least I can watch Harvard vs. Yale.

Actual comment from color guy a moment ago: "If ties are like kissing your sister, these guys are ready to get to second base."

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 07:44PM

Harvard game also overlapped with rush events this year.

Date: January 27, 2012 08:20PM

dag14
So?!?!? Everyone should share my interests and priorities!!!

(Except when that conflicts with my enjoyment of those interests, etc.)

Date: January 27, 2012 10:44PM

dag14

Hockey games during rush week should be rush events. Frats and sororities should make attending the game mandatory to gain entrance to the frat/sorority.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login