Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

P Postgame

Posted by Jim Hyla 
P Postgame
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 08:19AM

Like with Q last night, I'll make this a postgame thread later. However, I wanted to point out that the ECAC Recap of last nights game says that tonight's game will be shown on tape delay by Verizon FiOS 1 on Long Island and New Jersey. If anyone could make me a DVD of it I'd love it. I don't care if it includes the ads and is unedited on multiple DVDs. I'll pay the cost of mailing, etc., and no, I won't pay the cost of getting FiOS 1 and a DVR.:-}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 09:23PM by Jim Hyla.

Re: P Pregame
Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 12:03PM

After last night's shocking loss by Colgate, a win tonight would go a long way in giving us some breathing room atop the ECAC.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 03:46PM

css228
After last night's shocking loss by Colgate, a win tonight would go a long way in giving us some breathing room atop the ECAC.
It would also put them in the driver's seat in the Ivies, with all four of the remaining games at Lynah.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 05:24PM

css228

4 PM start at Quinnipiac today. Colgate down 3-1 about midway through the second.

Date: January 14, 2012 05:40PM

nyc94
css228

4 PM start at Quinnipiac today. Colgate down 3-1 about midway through the second.
Now 4-1 after 2 periods.

Posted by: jaywbigred (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 06:10PM

I am in NJ and have FIOS. Apparently "tape delay" means it won't be shown until Thursday night!

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 06:50PM

Trotsky
nyc94
css228

Now 4-1 after 2 periods.

7-1 Final

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 09:11PM

I went to the Q-Colgate game and after playing a good first period, Colgate looked terrible. On one Colgate powerplay, Q had two shorthanded breakaways, scoring on the second one. The first Q goal was a soft goal from just inside the blue line, and the next two goals were on rebounds that Colgate couldn't clear. I was watching the game with a Colgate fan who complained that Vaughan keeps playing the wrong goalie (Michalek), and he finally pulled him after he had given up 11 goals in two games this weekend. Since the break for exams, etc., Colgate's only win has been over Canisius. If this trend continues, it looks like Union and Yale will be our stiffest competition for the top spot in the ECAC.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 09:48PM by dbilmes.

Re: P Postgame
Posted by: scoop85 (---.duncable-3.cust.sover.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 09:29PM

Well, I see Sucks blew a 3-1 lead over BU and lost 4-3 in OT. Some things never change

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 09:29PM

Well 3 points isn't bad. I would have taken it Friday AM. How we did it was the terrible part. I guess it could be worse, Harvard had BU 3-1 in the third, only to lose 4-3 in OT. Out shot 20-4 in third and OT.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 09:40PM

dbilmes
I went to the Q-Colgate game and after playing a good first period, Colgate looked terrible. On one Colgate powerplay, Q had two shorthanded breakaways, scoring on the second one. The first Q goal was a soft goal from just inside the blue line, and the next two goals were on rebounds that Colgate couldn't clear. I was watching the game with a Colgate fan who complained that Slater keeps playing the wrong goalie (Michalek), and he finally pulled him after he had given up 11 goals in two games this weekend. Since the break for exams, etc., Colgate's only win has been over Canisius. If this trend continues, it looks like Union and Yale will be our stiffest competition for the top spot in the ECAC.

Terry Slater has been dead for 20 years.

Date: January 14, 2012 09:47PM

ACM
The game has passed him by.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 09:47PM

ACM
dbilmes
I went to the Q-Colgate game and after playing a good first period, Colgate looked terrible. On one Colgate powerplay, Q had two shorthanded breakaways, scoring on the second one. The first Q goal was a soft goal from just inside the blue line, and the next two goals were on rebounds that Colgate couldn't clear. I was watching the game with a Colgate fan who complained that Slater keeps playing the wrong goalie (Michalek), and he finally pulled him after he had given up 11 goals in two games this weekend. Since the break for exams, etc., Colgate's only win has been over Canisius. If this trend continues, it looks like Union and Yale will be our stiffest competition for the top spot in the ECAC.

I was just testing to see if anyone was paying attention. I meant Don Vaughan.

Date: January 14, 2012 10:59PM

Jim Hyla
Well 3 points isn't bad. I would have taken it Friday AM. How we did it was the terrible part. I guess it could be worse, Harvard had BU 3-1 in the third, only to lose 4-3 in OT. Out shot 20-4 in third and OT.
Momentum really seemed to shift when Iles lost his stick. At least we're three points further clear of Colgate and we still have a game in hand on Union. From where I sat, it looked like we took a ton of dumb penalties in the third. However, I'd like someone to explain to me why the guy who dropped his gloves at McCarron wasn't immediately kicked out. I thought dropping the gloves was an automatic ejection in college.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 11:31PM

css228
Jim Hyla
Momentum really seemed to shift when Iles lost his stick. At least we're three points further clear of Colgate and we still have a game in hand on Union. From where I sat, it looked like we took a ton of dumb penalties in the third. However, I'd like someone to explain to me why the guy who dropped his gloves at McCarron wasn't immediately kicked out. I thought dropping the gloves was an automatic ejection in college.
The only explicit mention of dropping gloves in the rule book is in Rule 6, Section 10, Delay of Game.

g. A player shall not intentionally drop the gloves and/or stick. This includes delay of the game by unnecessarily adjusting equipment or clothing, tying skates, conferring with coaches, players, or others, or committing any act for the obvious purpose of stalling or delaying the game. PENALTY - Minor.
Section 17 deals with Fighting or Punching:

a. A player shall not fight an opponent or participate in a fight, on or off the playing surface. A punch thrown may be considered fighting.
PENALTY - Disqualification

b. A player who does not retaliate after being struck shall not be assessed a penalty.

c. When a fight occurs on the ice, all non-participating players, excluding goalkeepers, must proceed immediately and directly to their respective players' bench at the signal,of the referee. Goalkeepers must remain in the immediate vicinity of their goal crease.
PENALTY - Minor to offending player(s) or goalkeeper.

Date: January 14, 2012 11:48PM

David Harding
css228
Jim Hyla
The only explicit mention of dropping gloves in the rule book is in Rule 6, Section 10, Delay of Game.

g. A player shall not intentionally drop the gloves and/or stick. This includes delay of the game by unnecessarily adjusting equipment or clothing, tying skates, conferring with coaches, players, or others, or committing any act for the obvious purpose of stalling or delaying the game. PENALTY - Minor.
Section 17 deals with Fighting or Punching:

a. A player shall not fight an opponent or participate in a fight, on or off the playing surface. A punch thrown may be considered fighting.
PENALTY - Disqualification

b. A player who does not retaliate after being struck shall not be assessed a penalty.

c. When a fight occurs on the ice, all non-participating players, excluding goalkeepers, must proceed immediately and directly to their respective players' bench at the signal,of the referee. Goalkeepers must remain in the immediate vicinity of their goal crease.
PENALTY - Minor to offending player(s) or goalkeeper.
Seemed like the intent was there to fight (when is the last time someone dropped their gloves without the intent to fight), but I was on the far side of the rink.

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 12:55AM

Cornell started out slow but withstood initial P pressure and took it to them the second half of the 1st all through the 2nd. Vince Mihalek just keeps getting more confident and did a great job setting up Mowrey.

As usual Lynah faithful came up with a great cheer after first goal - Princeton's Condon broke!

Brisson knowing there was a delayed penalty jumped up into the play as another forward and was rewarded with a goal.

Team still has issues during second periods of getting off ice when tired.

Great team power play goal by Cole Bardreau. Power play improvement is fantastic, goals will come. Need to keep fresh troops on throughout power play as there seem to be a reluctance to get off the ice when tired during a power play.

Cornell fell asleep at the beginning of the 3rd. The first P goal was a whiff by Iles, I am sure he would say of all the goals he should have had that one. He made a lot tougher saves throughout the night, saving his best for ovetime, where he made several point blanks saves and got the second shots off the initial rebounds too. Iles was the difference in leaving with a point tonight. Though letting a 3 goal lead slip away is unheard of by Schafer coached teams. I chalk it up to youth.

Officiating played into the game too much.

Penalties were called that should not have been on either team.

A puck that I saw cross the blue line into the neutral zone was not called offside’s and P scored shortly after and I thought Shafer was going to lose it. The linesman’s view may have been blocked on this play and the rear referee had a good view of it and did not blow his whistle though he definitely saw this was offsides.

The call – non call of the night. Princeton had 6 men on the ice. The whistle blew. They were caught as six skaters were on the ice, no doubt about it and the ref put the face off in the Princeton zone. No Penalty, why the stoppage when the puck was in the neutral zone and touched by P? Appeared linesman blew whistle. Again Schafer about to lose it.

Whitney got pummeled in the defensive corner left of Iles in the 3rd. Thank God it was not serious as Whitney returned and looked ok. Definite roughing call at minimum. Both refs told Shafer they did not see anything.

I would say two of Princeton’s penalties should have been non calls. Once again ECAC puts out referees that do not have a grasp of the college game. The players today are so much better top to bottom than say 5 years ago. We now need referees that are on the same skill level as the players. Schafer gave the refs an earful on the ice after the game.

McCarron is rugged and so strong on his skates he had a nice get together with a Princeton player that resulted in coincidental roughing penalties. It was obvious he would have destroyed the other play if let go. John just smiled and went to the box.

If it were my team it would be hard to put Gotovets back on defense. He is an excellent winger and as strong as anyone on the puck and cycling down low.

The Big Red is fast and skilled as any team we have had in years. We have a roster full of talented hockey players. I was impressed by the whole team. If turnovers at the blue lines are stopped and every shift each player in accountable, good things are on the way.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 15, 2012 12:32PM

I still find myself thinking that the third period was just "wrong." That's the only woird that comes to mind. Not disappointing. Not frustrating. Just wrong.

Much of what Flyersgolf said about the officiating is spot on. They missed a too many men call. I was stunned when they sent both players off for the "fight." Our guy never dropped his gloves and theirs did and threw punches. And Flyrersgolf was not the only one who saw that puck cross the blue-line. I was sitting right there and there was no question it came out of the zone. In fact, I think our guys let up[ because it was so obviously offside. Apparently the linesman was the only one who missed it.

But one thing I noticed was Princeton had one hell of a forecheck that we couldn't out-run and really couldn't deal with. They'd forecheck with two men and our guys would panic. We'd have real trouble getting the puck under control. It chewed up a lot of time.

Our powerplay was boring and unimaginative. No movement without the puck. Just passing back and forth at the point, trying mostly unsuccessfully to get the puck below the circle, rarely even trying to put a shot on net. And if that did come, it came from the point though a shit-load of bodies. That has to change.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 02:14PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
But one thing I noticed was Princeton had one hell of a forecheck that we couldn't out-run and really couldn't deal with. They'd forecheck with two men and our guys would panic. We'd have real trouble getting the puck under control. It chewed up a lot of time.

Princeton seemed to change something up defensively in the third that we were having difficulty solving. I couldn't put my finger on it, though.

If I had to pick a player who had a noticeably bad night, it would be D'Agostino. When Iles lost his stick, the puck ended up with D'Agostino and, well, he dicked around with it when he should have kept it very, very simple. That was the goal that changed things. There were other indecisive moments as well. The rest of the defense (save Whitney, of course) looked typically strong.

Gotovets looks, indeed, very comfortable at wing. When we have such talented defensemen, I see this line up oddity as a feature rather than a bug.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 04:29PM

Nice analysis. Thanks.

>>> The call – non call of the night. Princeton had 6 men on the ice. The whistle blew. They were caught as six skaters were on the ice, no doubt about it and the ref put the face off in the Princeton zone. No Penalty, why the stoppage when the puck was in the neutral zone and touched by P? Appeared linesman blew whistle. Again Schafer about to lose it.

... looked at another way, the non-call might have saved us from giving up a man-short goal.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2012 05:14PM

Right before the third goal Lowry had the puck and got stripped of it while holding around the blue line. Probably should have flipped it out first time.

Date: January 15, 2012 06:33PM

Yale lost in overtime at Cheel, finishing up a 1-point weekend in the North Country.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 15, 2012 07:11PM

Trotsky
Yale lost in overtime at Cheel, finishing up a 1-point weekend in the North Country.

And they drop out of the Pairwise.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 17, 2012 08:12AM

Doesn't need it's own thread, but here's Ken Schott's (Schenectady Daily Gazette) wrap-up on the Yale-Clarkson game:

The Yale-Clarkson game was a wild one, as the Bulldogs blew a 3-1 lead, rallied from a 4-3 deficit to tie it and then lose in overtime, 5-4, on Sam Labrecque's power-play goal.

The Golden Knights got a power play when Yale got a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct. After Labrecque's goal, an angry Yale coach Keith Allain complained to referees Andy O'Brien and John Murphy, and got a game misconduct. I have to wonder if ECACH commissioner Steve Hagwell might be talking to Allain about his actions.
Anyone hear or read anything else about this?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 17, 2012 08:20AM

Jim Hyla
Doesn't need it's own thread, but here's Ken Schott's (Schenectady Daily Gazette) wrap-up on the Yale-Clarkson game:

The Yale-Clarkson game was a wild one, as the Bulldogs blew a 3-1 lead, rallied from a 4-3 deficit to tie it and then lose in overtime, 5-4, on Sam Labrecque's power-play goal.

The Golden Knights got a power play when Yale got a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct. After Labrecque's goal, an angry Yale coach Keith Allain complained to referees Andy O'Brien and John Murphy, and got a game misconduct. I have to wonder if ECACH commissioner Steve Hagwell might be talking to Allain about his actions.
A coach getting a game misconduct. That's new.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 17, 2012 08:24AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

Too bad it wasn't a DQ; that would have made this week interesting.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: January 17, 2012 04:39PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

According to Cap Carey, the Clarkson beat writer for the Watertown Daily Times, a coach on the Yale bench called one of the referees a motherfucker. That is how Yale got the bench minor.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: January 17, 2012 04:43PM

cbuckser
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

According to Cap Carey, the Clarkson beat writer for the Watertown Daily Times, a coach on the Yale bench called one of the referees a motherfucker. That is how Yale got the bench minor.

I thought the ref fucked sheep.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: January 17, 2012 05:28PM

Chris '03
cbuckser
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

I thought the ref fucked sheep.
Right, that's why he gave the coach a bench minor.

Re: P Postgame
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 06:20AM

Jim Hyla
Like with Q last night, I'll make this a postgame thread later. However, I wanted to point out that the ECAC Recap of last nights game says that tonight's game will be shown on tape delay by Verizon FiOS 1 on Long Island and New Jersey. If anyone could make me a DVD of it I'd love it. I don't care if it includes the ads and is unedited on multiple DVDs. I'll pay the cost of mailing, etc., and no, I won't pay the cost of getting FiOS 1 and a DVR.:-}

I would also like a DVD or some type of copy of the FIOS broadcast. I would be happy to pay for costs or to trade for a game that I own on DVD. If someone gets this to me I will make a copy for Jim, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login