Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Q Postgame

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Q Postgame
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2012 05:53PM

So I'll change this to postgame later, butyou can log on to their video now, if you want to be sure all is working. You can also buy Princeton, monthly is $10, just be sure to cancel after, it's automatic renewal each month.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 09:25PM by Jim Hyla.

Re: Q Pregame
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 13, 2012 06:32PM

Brown at St. Lawrence and Yale at Clarkson both postponed until Sunday due to weather.

Re: Q Postgame
Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 10:15PM

I just got back from the game. Here are some observations:
1) This was gutsy win for us. We didn't play that well for long stretches, but neither did Q. Our road record is 5-1-1.
2) Collins had a great game with his SH goal to tie the game and his SH assist for the GW goal. Both were great plays, and he showed wonderful skating and stickhandling on both.
3) I didn't get a good look at Q's first goal, but any time you give up a goal in the final minute of a period, it's not good. They were putting a lot of pressure on us and we couldn't clear the puck out. Their second goal was a rebound on a PP shot; hard to fault Iles for that. Overall, another solid game from him, which we're starting to take for granted.
4) I hope the injury to Jillson isn't serious, but it didn't look good when he was helped off the ice after writhing in pain. To make matters worse, no penalty was called on the play. Jillson has only scored 3 goals for us this season, but they've all been at key times. I did notice Esposito getting hurt in the first period, but then he came back on the ice for another shift. As Al notes in a post below, it's not good news on either injury.
5) Our PP was unimpressive, especially the 45-second 5-on-3 we had in the third period. Q was being aggressive and coming out after us as soon as we touched the puck on the perimeter, and we had trouble getting much pressure on them. D'Agostino had a great chance on one of our first PPs which he probably scores on more often than not.
6) The Q coach pulled the goalie with 2 minutes to go and the faceoff in our end, which is a smart move to make. They put intense pressure on us for the final two minutes. We only got the puck out of the zone once, and that time it barely cleared the blue line. Our players were so tired toward the final seconds that they stopped challenging the Q players with the puck, but just stayed in a shell in front of our goal. It looked liked Q had several great chances and we were fortunate to escape without giving up the tying goal.
7) The atmosphere at the rink was terrible. Barely half the seats were filled, and the only times the Q fans made any noise were after their two goals and after they killed off three consecutive PPs in the third period, including the 5-on-3. It was nice to see a mini-version of the Cornell pep band, and the Cornell contingent was decent, but not as large as I had hoped. In many ways, the atmosphere reminded me of the atmosphere at Estero last month.
Still, it's nice to get back to ECAC play with a win, even if was a costly one at that. It would have been a shame to play so well at Colorado College and then lost to Q tonight.

As a postscript, a local fan asked me about the kid who wore No. 9 for Cornell, who had been on the roster for the Yale game. He knew the kid (Phillipe Hudon) had been a star player at Choate, a nearby prep school, and was disappointed when I told him he had withdrawn from Cornell for medical reasons.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 11:03AM by dbilmes.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 11:54PM

[www.uscho.com]

PairWise is looking good for us right now. Assuming that CC beats SCSU tonight, we might drop down to 12 or 13; however, that still puts us ahead of the bubble.

Edit: Tied for 10th after CC win.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 12:30AM by ajh258.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2012 08:16AM

ajh258
[www.uscho.com]

PairWise is looking good for us right now. Assuming that CC beats SCSU tonight, we might drop down to 12 or 13; however, that still puts us ahead of the bubble.

I keep meaning to go on a rant every time someone says a particular out of conference loss dooms us in the Pairwise. RPI still counts for one criteria plus a tiebreaker in the comparison, so in order to lose a comparison based on a few games, we have to lose common opponents and record vs TUC. The exception is comparisons against the particular teams we played, where each head-to-head game counts as a whole criterion.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 08:45AM

New Haven Register article quotes Schafer saying Esposito and Jillson will not be available "for a while."

Date: January 14, 2012 10:56AM

Two questions for the eLynah faithful:
1) Does anyone know the last time we swept the two New Haven-area teams on the road?
2) When was the last time we scored two short-handed goals in a game?

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 11:18AM

ajh258
[www.uscho.com]

As a rule, is it not generally good for us for the teams we played, particularly those we beat, to keep winning? (well articulated as it was.)

Date: January 14, 2012 11:18AM

dbilmes
2) When was the last time we scored two short-handed goals in a game?

@ELynah twitter feed
Last time that happened was Knopefli and Iggulden vs CLK on 3/11/05

Posted by: TheMatrix (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 11:20AM

dbilmes
1) Does anyone know the last time we swept the two New Haven-area teams on the road?
Last January:

Fri, Jan 7, 2011 @ Princeton University 1-2 (W)
Sat, Jan 8, 2011 @ Quinnipiac University 2-3 (W) OT

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 11:41AM

TheMatrix
dbilmes
Last January:

Princeton is in New Jersey. Princeton is in New Jersey.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 11:42AM

TheMatrix
dbilmes
Last January:

Sat, Jan 8, 2011 @ Quinnipiac University 2-3 (W) OT;-)
Last I knew, Princeton was not in the "New Haven-area.";-)

Date: January 14, 2012 11:45AM

By New Haven-area teams, I met Yale and Q in same season. I know we don't play them on the same weekend.

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 12:02PM

Don't we all know that Princeton is in New Jersey.... Princeton is in New Jersey?

Posted by: TheMatrix (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 12:13PM

Whoops!
The correct answer is the 07-08 season:

Fri, Nov 9, 2007 @ Yale University 1-2 (W)
Fri, Feb 22, 2008 @ Quinnipiac University 2-3 (W) OT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 12:14PM by TheMatrix.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 04:19PM

dbilmes
By New Haven-area teams, I met Yale and Q in same season. I know we don't play them on the same weekend.

Why don't we play them the same weekend? It would make much more sense for them to be travel partners (which would then mean Princeton is with Brown). I assume it has something to do with the fact that QU is the most recent addition to the conference. Who did Princeton travel with before then?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 04:23PM

jtn27
dbilmes

Why don't we play them the same weekend? It would make much more sense for them to be travel partners (which would then mean Princeton is with Brown). I assume it has something to do with the fact that QU is the most recent addition to the conference. Who did Princeton travel with before then?
Travel partnerships since the beginning of the partnership system in 84-85.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 05:34PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 14, 2012 04:49PM

jtn27
dbilmes

Before Quinnipiac replaced Vermont, the travel partnerships were Princeton/Yale, Brown/Harvard and Dartmouth/Vermont (the other three were as they are now).

Before Union replaced Army, the travel partnerships were Princeton/Army, Yale/Brown (as now), Harvard/Dartmouth (as now) and Vermont/RPI (the other two were as they are now).

It's a pity there's no Yale/Quinnipiac travel partnership (now that they don't have to take turns using the same rink), but Princeton as a geographical outlier messes things up. I actually wrote a script to check once, and the current arrangement does indeed minimize total travel time (by one minute), although swapping Princeton and Yale as you suggest would minimize travel distance. (My preferred pairing, which pairs Princeton with Dartmouth, Yale with Quinnipiac, and Brown with Harvard, comes in fourth, 12 minutes slower.)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 05:33PM

Add Penn, drop Dartmouth. :)

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 05:45PM

Willy '06
TheMatrix
dbilmes
Last January:

Do the Faithful use this as a cheer?

One of our family's most memorable trips to Lynah were for the Yale at Cornell ECAC round in 2002. We had been too busy to make our yearly trip and when faced with the prospect of no Lynah time, called the ticket office which thankfully sold us four seats.

During one of the two nights the sing-song "Yale is in New Haven, Yale is in New Haven" rang through the rink. And I can still rankle my lovely wife with an encore rendition, ten years later.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 06:37PM

marty
Willy '06
TheMatrix
dbilmes
Last January:

One of our family's most memorable trips to Lynah were for the Yale at Cornell ECAC round in 2002. We had been too busy to make our yearly trip and when faced with the prospect of no Lynah time, called the ticket office which thankfully sold us four seats.

During one of the two nights the sing-song "Yale is in New Haven, Yale is in New Haven" rang through the rink. And I can still rankle my lovely wife with an encore rendition, ten years later.

Absolutely.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2012 02:15AM

Jim Hyla
marty
Willy '06
TheMatrix
dbilmes
Last January:

Absolutely.

It was used today at Hobey.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.125.179.128.available.above.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 03:04PM

ajh258
Jim Hyla
marty
Willy '06
TheMatrix
dbilmes
Last January:

Absolutely.

Speaking of cheers, I noticed something while at Baker Rink. I had never made the trip to Princeton before yesterday. So, with the Wall Street Journal identifying Princeton fans as the "least lively" fans in college hockey, I was not sure what to expect of their rink or its environment. The Journal was right. The fans are certainly dispassionate. They were silent most of the game. Their zeal seemed very contingent upon what was occurring on the ice (ie. when Princeton got itself back into the game), unlike the Faithful who were just as zealous before and after the game was tied. The lack of Princetonian passion tends to waste the creativity and taunting of the Princeton University Pep Band. They were original in their jeering with mimicking "it's all your fault" and, the chant I found most original, "it's big, it's red, it's probably infected." The apathetic Princeton fan would not even echo such jeering, taunting, and chants which in themselves were original and fun.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 15, 2012 07:14PM

Aaron M. Griffin
ajh258
Jim Hyla
marty
Willy '06
TheMatrix
dbilmes
Last January:

Absolutely.

Speaking of cheers, I noticed something while at Baker Rink. I had never made the trip to Princeton before yesterday. So, with the Wall Street Journal identifying Princeton fans as the "least lively" fans in college hockey, I was not sure what to expect of their rink or its environment. The Journal was right. The fans are certainly dispassionate. They were silent most of the game. Their zeal seemed very contingent upon what was occurring on the ice (ie. when Princeton got itself back into the game), unlike the Faithful who were just as zealous before and after the game was tied. The lack of Princetonian passion tends to waste the creativity and taunting of the Princeton University Pep Band. They were original in their jeering with mimicking "it's all your fault" and, the chant I found most original, "it's big, it's red, it's probably infected." The apathetic Princeton fan would not even echo such jeering, taunting, and chants which in themselves were original and fun.

I thought their respone of "No, it's not" to "It's all your fault" was pretty damn lame.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 07:43PM

Princeton fans would never echo jeering. That's a new money thing.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 08:18PM

marty
Willy '06
TheMatrix
dbilmes
Last January:

We do indeed chant "Princeton is in New Jersey," but in my 2 and a half years at Cornell I have yet to hear "Yale is in New Haven." It has instead been replaced with "Bush went to Yale."

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 10:23PM

And our community organizer went to Harvard

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2012 07:16AM

As a cheer, "New Haven minus Yale equals Bridgeport" has too many syllables.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: January 17, 2012 09:56AM

Redscore
And our community organizer went to Harvard

He went to Columbia as well, but Columbia lacks a hockey program and is thus irrelevant.

I have never heard this chant, but I would enjoy to hear it started on Saturday. I am sure the Cornell audience will be receptive. **]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login