Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CU-CC 3-3

Posted by Jim Hyla 
CU-CC 3-3
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2012 11:50PM

So I know some are disappointed, but overall a great weekend. With the 3-3 we drop to 15 in pairwise, reinforcing Age's statement that we still aren't likely to get an at large bid to NCAAs. You hope that this wipes out the memory of Estero, and that they come back east with determination and the knowledge that they can play with the best.

Re: CU-CC 3-3
Posted by: ajh258 (---.sub-174-253-244.myvzw.com)
Date: January 08, 2012 12:00AM

Let's get the auto-bid and not even worry about PairWise then.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 12:12AM

After the SF loss in Estero it was pretty much inconceivable that we would finish .500 in NC games. This was an outstanding weekend, particularly coming all the way back from 0-2 tonight (er, last night) in a game many of us thought would be too physically challenging. It should give them confidence they can play with anybody, anywhere.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 12:27AM

Trotsky
After the SF loss in Estero it was pretty much inconceivable that we would finish .500 in NC games. This was an outstanding weekend, particularly coming all the way back from 0-2 tonight (er, last night) in a game many of us thought would be too physically challenging. It should give them confidence they can play with anybody, anywhere.

We can play with anyone, anywhere. period. Book your rooms in AC now. I dont want to hear a bunch of bitching about last minute pricing to go and watch us win another ecac championship. Last year everyone was crying about hotel prices, Guess what?? The games are planned again, book your rooms!!! you can always cancel if we dont make it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2012 12:33AM by toddlose.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 12:34AM

we will make it.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.lightspeed.mtvwca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 01:05AM

toddlose
Book your rooms in AC now. I dont want to hear a bunch of bitching about last minute pricing to go and watch us win another ecac championship. Last year everyone was crying about hotel prices, Guess what?? The games are planned again, book your rooms!!! you can always cancel if we dont make it.
Reservation made banana

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 01:39AM

toddlose
Trotsky

We can play with anyone, anywhere. period. Book your rooms in AC now. I dont want to hear a bunch of bitching about last minute pricing to go and watch us win another ecac championship. Last year everyone was crying about hotel prices, Guess what?? The games are planned again, book your rooms!!! you can always cancel if we dont make it.
Best thing about the tournament being in AC is that I don't need to book a hotel room. That said this was a great weekend. Of course I wish we could have held on for a sweep, but going to CC and coming 20 seconds from sweeping them gives me a lot of confidence in this team.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 08, 2012 07:23AM

Sucks is no longer a TUC. That didn't help. And they've got two Beanpot losses coming up, so they're not likely to get back.

Just says we have to win the big games (Union, Colgate) in conference. That gets us to AC and beyond.

LGR!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2012 07:24AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2012 07:24AM

Scott Owens video available in this link is worth watching.Gazette article

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 08:32AM

marty
Scott Owens video available in this link is worth watching.Gazette article

"Their goaltender's outstanding. That's as good a goalie as we'll see all year."

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 11:32AM

Jim Hyla
So I know some are disappointed, but overall a great weekend. With the 3-3 we drop to 15 in pairwise, reinforcing Age's statement that we still aren't likely to get an at large bid to NCAAs. You hope that this wipes out the memory of Estero, and that they come back east with determination and the knowledge that they can play with the best.
As I said last month, it's going to be an exercise in frustration to agonize over the Pairwise, TUC, etc. We control our own destiny. If we finish first or second in the league and make it to the title game in AC, we should get an NCAA bid.
As for hotel rooms in AC, they are plentiful so I'm in no rush to book a room now. Last year we were able to get some discounted rooms at the last minute at the Trump Plaza thanks to the efforts of some other eLynah members.

Posted by: captens1 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 11:56AM

Hi all,

Reactions from someone who was at the game, but who hasn't seen much of Cornell since '97 or so when I left.

First, thank-you-Schafer for finally getting CU to come to Colorado again. There were ~250 of us alums up in the nosebleed seats of the arena hungry for our Cornell hockey again. We couldn't out-noise the piped-in NBAish crap music, but we could out-noise the CC fanbase. They clapped their walrus flippers together perfunctorily and arf-arf'ed for a few seconds after a goal, but otherwise they mostly laid about and cast disbelieving glances at us. How dare we tell them their goalie that it was all his fault!

The game was nothing like the dump and chase goonfest I fondly remember the old mid-90's CU hockey games to be. Perhaps in part because of the altitude here, it didn't appear like the players had a lot of gas in the tank. What was surprising to me was much crisper passing and better puck control than I remember of the teams of old. On a big sheet of ice on Saturday night, with the exceptions of the start of the game and the first few minutes of overtime, it felt like Cornell had the better of the possession. It was fun and refreshing to see Cornell win a game with a very different style of play.

Come back soon! How about Denver U?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2012 03:04PM

captens1
Hi all,

Reactions from someone who was at the game, but who hasn't seen much of Cornell since '97 or so when I left.

First, thank-you-Schafer for finally getting CU to come to Colorado again. There were ~250 of us alums up in the nosebleed seats of the arena hungry for our Cornell hockey again. We couldn't out-noise the piped-in NBAish crap music, but we could out-noise the CC fanbase. They clapped their walrus flippers together perfunctorily and arf-arf'ed for a few seconds after a goal, but otherwise they mostly laid about and cast disbelieving glances at us. How dare we tell them their goalie that it was all his fault!

The game was nothing like the dump and chase goonfest I fondly remember the old mid-90's CU hockey games to be. Perhaps in part because of the altitude here, it didn't appear like the players had a lot of gas in the tank. What was surprising to me was much crisper passing and better puck control than I remember of the teams of old. On a big sheet of ice on Saturday night, with the exceptions of the start of the game and the first few minutes of overtime, it felt like Cornell had the better of the possession. It was fun and refreshing to see Cornell win a game with a very different style of play.

Don't worry, we could hear you cheering on the broadcast. You were also mentioned on the CC webcast. When they heard you they commented on the rabid fans from CU. They also mentioned that CC will get to experience it when they go to Lynah this fall.

Thanks for keeping up a Cornell tradition.

In regards to DU, I think Schafer would be open to that, if it was reciprocal and they were to come to Lynah, as CC is doing. I don't know about DU, but many westen teams are not as willing to do that as CC and UND (North Dakota) have been.

Posted by: cbuckser (50.13.133.---)
Date: January 08, 2012 06:48PM

Jim Hyla
captens1
Hi all,

Don't worry, we could hear you cheering on the broadcast. You were also mentioned on the CC webcast. When they heard you they commented on the rabid fans from CU. They also mentioned that CC will get to experience it when they go to Lynah this fall.

Thanks for keeping up a Cornell tradition.

In regards to DU, I think Schafer would be open to that, if it was reciprocal and they were to come to Lynah, as CC is doing. I don't know about DU, but many westen teams are not as willing to do that as CC and UND (North Dakota) have been.

I second what Jim said. We heard you on the broadcasts, and the it's-all-your-fault chant seemed to reverberate across the arena. I'm surprised there were only 250 Cornell fans there; it sounded like there were more of you there.

With respect to a series against Denver, they might reciprocate. They recently reciprocated with Ohio State and Vermont. Earlier this season, Denver played road games at BC & BU one weekend.

More importantly, the realignment of the college hockey conferences will make scheduling interleague games a lot easier. The NCHC will likely play a 24-game schedule. That is four fewer games than the current WCHA schedule. That gives NCHC teams like Denver University four additional interconference games and two additional weekends for which to schedule them. Likewise, the Big 10 will play a 20-game schedule. Those schools will have an even more nonconference games to schedule. For certain, some of those extra games will be scheduled to keep current intraconference rivalries alive after realignment (e.g., Minnesota and St. Cloud State). Nevertheless, at a minimum, the western schools will all have a lot more interconference scheduling flexibility.

Posted by: cayuga (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2012 07:42PM

Does anyone know what happened to Ferlin? 10 minutes for Interference.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 07:47PM

cayuga
The CC announcers seemed to indicate he mouthed off too much to the referees on the way to the box. Can't vouch for the validity of that observation.

Posted by: cbuckser (50.13.133.---)
Date: January 08, 2012 08:33PM

Al DeFlorio
cayuga
The CC announcers seemed to indicate he mouthed off too much to the referees on the way to the box. Can't vouch for the validity of that observation.
Brian Ferlin got a 10-minute misconduct as well as an interference minor. Nobody observed Ferlin doing anything inappropriate, so the only logical explanation for the misconduct is Ferlin excessively chirping the referee.

Posted by: captens1 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 09:26PM

Regarding the noisiness of the Faithful, we did have the advantage that one of our sections was right under the announcer's booth. To be fair, were they announcing from across the arena, we probably wouldn't have sounded like much.

I certainly didn't see Ferlin do anything that deserved the 10 minutes, so I concur that he must have mouthed off. Actually, I'd have to say the reffing was much better than the ECAC I remember, with the possible exception of a dive by CC on the last tripping minor on CU.

Posted by: CTUCK1 (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2012 02:23PM

Couple of post-game videos from the weekend series with CC, courtesy of the Colo Springs Gazette.

[cchockey.freedomblogging.com]
[cchockey.freedomblogging.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2012 06:26PM

"We generated basically nothing this weekend five-on-five."

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2012 06:28PM

Not sure where to put this, so I'll post it here. Brian Sullivan makes a good point in this week's column about the ECAC's NC record and our inability to get at-large bids:

With only three non-conference games remaining on the league’s regular-season docket (Connecticut at Princeton on January 31, and Harvard’s two Hockey East Beanpot games), it has been decided that ECAC Hockey will – once again – finish the season with losing records against each of the other “Big Four” conferences: the CCHA, Hockey East, and WCHA. It will mark the fifth consecutive season of such national submission, and with every out-of-league defeat, it gets harder and harder to substantiate the ECAC’s claim to “Big Four” status.

In fact, ECAC Hockey has only rolled into the NCAA’s with a winning record against one other Big Four league, ever – the CCHA – in the last ten years, and that happened twice: 2004-05 and ’06-07. (Potential correction: I feel as though I mistakenly posted that ECAC Hockey had bested Hockey East last season, but in checking my numbers, I see that to be false at this time. But then, maybe I never made that assertion in the first place, in which case ignore all this.) In any event, the conference has been playing what effectively amounts to AAAA ball against major-league opponents, generally crushing Atlantic Hockey foes but falling more often than not to the – let’s just admit it – Big Three.

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 06:39PM

it doesnt help that the IVy schools only get to play those games at bad times.. Cornell could start out playing teams like CC that have played 5-10 games or play them coming off a florida trip and 2-3 weeks of nothing.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 09:55PM

upprdeck
it doesnt help that the IVy schools only get to play those games at bad times.. Cornell could start out playing teams like CC that have played 5-10 games or play them coming off a florida trip and 2-3 weeks of nothing.

It also doesn't help that over the last decade the Ivies have, for the most part, been the better of the ECAC teams and have fewer NC games to play. Ivies play 7 NC games a year for a max 42 NC games vs. "Big Four" teams. They also play a good number of AHA games and they whole "Ivy shootout." I'd guess the Ivies only play around 27 B4 games a year. The non-ivies play, at least, 60 NC games each year with their 32 game schedules plus exempt games.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: January 17, 2012 11:58AM

Chris '03
upprdeck

It also doesn't help that over the last decade the Ivies have, for the most part, been the better of the ECAC teams and have fewer NC games to play. Ivies play 7 NC games a year for a max 42 NC games vs. "Big Four" teams. They also play a good number of AHA games and they whole "Ivy shootout." I'd guess the Ivies only play around 27 B4 games a year. The non-ivies play, at least, 60 NC games each year with their 32 game schedules plus exempt games.

Reasons why I support an Ivy League Hockey Conference outside of and independent from the ECAC. This discussion has been had previously. The B1G schools are going to make a six-team hockey conference, I doubt anyone will question the competitiveness of that conference. I believe the Ivies could as well with the freedom it would give them to schedule more games against teams from what Sullivan dubbed the "Big Three" (CCHA, WCHA, and Hockey East which will become B1G, NCHA, and Hockey East in 2013-14). However, to undermine my point, the Ivies didn't do well this season claiming a 5-9-3 record against the "Big Three" so far this season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login