Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Florida UMass & Clarkson - Cornell postgame - winter swoon?

Posted by billhoward 
Florida UMass & Clarkson - Cornell postgame - winter swoon?
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 09:00AM

After listening to the parts of Redcast not affected by global warming and the Gulf water level rising just above Jason Weinstein's mike, I went to bed knowing the outcome was 5-2 UMass. I woke up this morning wondering, did we really lose another Florida Classic first round game to a so-so opponent? Did we really give up four (plus empty net) goals? Aren't we supposed to handily win games where we score two goals? The Iles Is Not the Answer thread is going to go critical again.

If there's a pony in here, it's that Mike Schafer can use a mediocre Florida showing as a motivational tool to turn the team around. Maybe the double motivation of this week and Colorado College next weekend. The motivation Cornell needs may be to go unbeaten in the ECAC tournament as the way to get an NCAA bid. Maybe the excitement of hearing Schafer say the freshmen were the best recruiting class in his tenure raised our hopes too high.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2011 10:22AM by billhoward.

Re: Florida UMass-Cornell postgame - winter swoon?
Posted by: dag14 (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2011 09:26AM

I watched the video of this game and while it makes it harder to judge the play than would be the case watching live, I really don't think it is fair to blame the outcome on the goaltender. The team had a lapse, meltdown, whatever you want to call it. They outplayed UMass in the first period and got out-hustled after that.

A team that can only score goals on the power play can't expect to win games.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 09:32AM

Shit happens. Hopefully they will recover this afternoon and get a split. They are 1-7-2 in their last 10 at Estero.

They've dropped to 18 in PWR -- off the bubble -- but a nice run can remedy that, particularly if they can pick off a point in Colorado Springs.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2011 09:32AM

Motivation isn't a factor. It's a young, enthusiastic team sitting at the top of the ECAC for the first time in a while, with two previous out-of-conference losses. Why would motivation be a factor? Puck luck and performance can go against you at any time. BC lost to Michigan the same night. Gotta stick it to Clarkson tonight. With their own sticks.

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 10:04AM

Trotsky
Shit happens. Hopefully they will recover this afternoon and get a split. They are 1-7-2 in their last 10 at Estero.

They've dropped to 18 in PWR -- off the bubble -- but a nice run can remedy that, particularly if they can pick off a point in Colorado Springs.
We'd need more than one point in Colorado Springs to make that happen. Our only real PWR hope at this point since we basically just lost an OOC game and have no chance at winning hockey east comparisons at this point is probably more like 3 points at CC. And I doubt that's happening after last night.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 11:37AM

billhoward
I went to bed knowing the outcome was 5-2 UMass. I woke up this morning wondering, did we really lose another Florida Classic first round game to a so-so opponent? Did we really give up four (plus empty net) goals?

A reminder that this game was 2-2 with 10 minutes remaining. And that this is the third game we've lost by allowing 2 goals in the final 10 minutes. Successful Schafer teams are known for 3 things: superior shot-blocking, an outstanding penalty kill, and a lock-down 3rd period. The last 2 were clearly lacking last night.

I guess it's our job as internet forum people to debate if it's because of a lack of conditioning, "focus," "heart," or maybe the 4 bodily humors aren't in proper balance or whatever stupid thing people want to blame for losses this year, but the fact is that Cornell always seems to come out of the break a little flat (see our recent FL tournament record). My expectations were rejiggered a bit after seeing the quality of the freshmen class first-hand, but I think this team can be expected to make a decent run at the ECAC tournament, and maybe catch a couple of breaks and win the thing. Especially now that the Yale/Union juggernauts have shown major vulnerabilities. Personally, I'm not betting against the Austin Smith Show in Hamilton this year.

I think we'll be able to play with CC, maybe even steal a game there.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2011 12:17PM

RichH
billhoward
I went to bed knowing the outcome was 5-2 UMass. I woke up this morning wondering, did we really lose another Florida Classic first round game to a so-so opponent? Did we really give up four (plus empty net) goals?

A reminder that this game was 2-2 with 10 minutes remaining. And that this is the third game we've lost by allowing 2 goals in the final 10 minutes. Successful Schafer teams are known for 3 things: superior shot-blocking, an outstanding penalty kill, and a lock-down 3rd period. The last 2 were clearly lacking last night.
I might modify the above to say that Schafer teams are known for a lock-down third period when playing with a lead, which wasn't the case yesterday. Chasing the game from behind has never really played to the strengths of Schafer's teams, though the increased offensive skill we've seen in recent recruiting classes might change that.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 12:18PM

RichH
I guess it's our job as internet forum people to debate if it's because of a lack of conditioning, "focus," "heart," or maybe the 4 bodily humors aren't in proper balance or whatever stupid thing people want to blame for losses this year

Humorism? Pfft. Everybody knows it's the æther, Rich.

The Law of the Internet dictates that every loss must be followed by rending of garments, wailing, and breast-beating. Also, offended, indignant, sweeping statements that the team losing is a crime against the fanbase. And after all we've done for them.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2011 12:22PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 30, 2011 12:50PM

Trotsky
RichH
I guess it's our job as internet forum people to debate if it's because of a lack of conditioning, "focus," "heart," or maybe the 4 bodily humors aren't in proper balance or whatever stupid thing people want to blame for losses this year

Nothing a good bleeding can't fix.

Posted by: Beowulf (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2011 02:20PM

Trotsky
RichH

The Law of the Internet dictates that every loss must be followed by rending of garments, wailing, and breast-beating. Also, offended, indignant, sweeping statements that the team losing is a crime against the fanbase. And after all we've done for them.

No doubt there are several reasons why the thing we used to know as the elynah postgame thread has entered into a sad and seemingly irreversible decline over the past two or three seasons. But surely one reason must be the habit of people to offer preemptive statements such as the above. Suggest that perhaps Schafer has limitations (as well as strengths) as a coach? Hint that the team lacks offensive punch and can’t score even-strength goals? Speculate that such-and-such a line combination isn’t working, and that such-and-such a forward belongs nowhere near the power play? Unacceptable, I tell you, unacceptable. In Schafer we trust--end of discussion.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: December 30, 2011 03:19PM

RichH
Trotsky
RichH

Nothing a good bleeding can't fix.
You are ignoring the possiblity that there are multiple causes. I've got my drill and my leeches. Let's get to work.

Date: December 30, 2011 03:48PM

Beowulf
No doubt there are several reasons why the thing we used to know as the elynah postgame thread has entered into a sad and seemingly irreversible decline over the past two or three seasons. But surely one reason must be the habit of people to offer preemptive statements such as the above. Suggest that perhaps Schafer has limitations (as well as strengths) as a coach? Hint that the team lacks offensive punch and can’t score even-strength goals? Speculate that such-and-such a line combination isn’t working, and that such-and-such a forward belongs nowhere near the power play? Unacceptable, I tell you, unacceptable. In Schafer we trust--end of discussion.

With all due respect, I rarely see this level of (old) Golden Knight Roundtable behavior here. Some may disagree with opinions, but I never see any Schafer loyalists shout down people and stifle discussion. I myself in this very thread criticized the team for fading late in games and not executing on the PK. There was definite snark from regulars in the chat room last night commenting on our lack of scoring punch. Generally, if there are ad-hominem attacks on someone with nothing to back it up or your an appearance of the occasional troll, they'll generally be mocked if deserving, sure. One of the biggest reasons why this is one of the only internet forums I participate in is the congenial content of discourse and general intelligence of arguments/disagreements.

That, and ugarte's one-liners.

Posted by: dbilmes (169.130.174.---)
Date: December 30, 2011 10:22PM

A few random post-tournament thoughts after being one of the relative handful of Cornell fans down here in person to watch both games:

1) We played a great first period against UMass, and should have scored more than one goal when we had them back on their heels. We played poorly over the last two periods, but still managed to tie the game at 2-2 with 11 minutes remaining. Isles was adamant that the goal UMass scored right at the start of the third period was intentionally kicked in, but the refs didn't bother to review it. The way video reviews have gone for us this year, we would have lost the review anyway. It's hard to fault Isles for our loss. He wasn't great, but played well enough.
Schafer was quoted in the newspaper the next day as claiming that two of UMass's goals shouldn't have counted -- he said on the game-winning goal, one of their players knocked it out of Isles' pads; on their 4th goal, he said the replay clearly showed it hit the post. In the arena, we thought the refs were checking the video replay, but according to Schafer that never happened. He said the refs let the goal judge make the call on the play.
2) We played better against a Clarkson team which clearly isn't the same without its No. 1 goalie, but got sloppy in the third period. We took two offensive zone penalties, and it didn't help when one our captains (Ross) took a penalty which gave Clarkson a two-man advantage for nearly two minutes.
3) Our penalty killing is still shaky. There are too many times when we have a chance to clear the puck and don't.
4) Jillson sat out both games. It will be nice to get him back in the lineup. He is recovering from an undisclosed injury.
5) Ferlin played a great game against Clarkson, even though it wasn't reflected on the scoresheet.
6) Unofficially, Clarkson set a tournament record for most penalty minutes this week, something Casey Jones can't be happy about. It's bad enough when you're top goalie is missing. But you don't want to make his absence worse by taking a bunch of stupid penalties.
7) Axel has improved quite a bit from last season and played a good game against Clarkson, too.
8) Thanks to jkahn, we were able to hear Davey being played whenever Cornell scored and at various other times, too! It was also nice to have O Canada sung before each game along with the Star Spangled Banner.
9) Third place is better than fourth place!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2011 10:09AM by dbilmes.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 10:38PM

Looks like America One webcasts video of Colorado College games for an $8 daily fee.

[www.b2livetv.com]

An all-sports pass is $150 and hockey-only is $75!dribble

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2011 08:48AM

So after a stellar performance in the tourney, we move to 13th in Pairwise.screwy

Date: December 31, 2011 10:27AM

Thanks for the personal perspective from Estero. You said you were one of a handful to see both Cornell games. But the Cornell turnout for the UMass game was decent?

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 31, 2011 11:05AM

Jim Hyla
So after a stellar performance in the tourney, we move to 13th in Pairwise.screwy

Looking only at results from December 30, Cornell won and Colorado College, Union, Lake Superior, and Ferris State all lost allowing us to pass them in RPI. Most of our comparisons with the teams around us are being won 1-0 with only RPI coming into play.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 12:09PM

As David said, the first night we had a great first period, then just didn't seem to have the same fight the rest of the way. Impossible to know how much the layoff factored into this. Even from the opposite end of the ice, I thought that the early third period UMass goal was kicked in. Didn't have a good enough view on the one that might've hit the post.
The 2nd night, it was a good 1st and 2nd period, and then out of gas in the 3rd. It seemed like all the good chances both nights were from the 1st and 2nd lines. Other than those two lines, Axell played well - clearly this year's most improved player in my opinion.
In the UMass game, Dias, Bardreau, DeSwardt, and Ryan played.
For Clarkson, they were replaced by Craig, Cole, Brisson and MacDonald with Gotovets moving up and playing left wing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 06:15PM by jkahn.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 12:22PM

nyc94
Jim Hyla

Looking only at results from December 30, Cornell won and Colorado College, Union, Lake Superior, and Ferris State all lost allowing us to pass them in RPI. Most of our comparisons with the teams around us are being won 1-0 with only RPI coming into play.

Overall not a bad night for the ECAC:

Canisius 2 @ Colgate 5
Union 1 @ Denver 3
Harvard 4 @ North Dakota 4 OT
Brown 5 @ New Hampshire 2
Quinnipiac 2 V@ Nebraska-Omaha 2
Northeastern 3 vs. Princeton 3
Clarkson 3 vs. Cornell 5
RPI 2 vs. Army 3
Holy Cross 2 @ Dartmouth 3

Date: December 31, 2011 12:57PM

jeff '84

I know North Dakota is having a down year but that's gotta sting.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 01:30PM

nyc94
jeff '84

And Sucks only had 18 SOG...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 02:04PM

jkahn
It seemed like all the good chances both nights were from the 1st and 2nd lines. Other than those two lines, Axell played well - clearly this year's most improved player in my opinion.

I remember at the end of last year Casey specifically pointed out Axell as the one guy who needed to make the jump to most help us. At the time I thought, "that might be the most improbable guy on the team." And now here we are -- he's so much better. It's great to see.

Date: December 31, 2011 02:05PM

nyc94
jeff '84

Top be fair, for an NCAA game all you have to do is get them into OT. ;)

Date: January 01, 2012 12:22PM

nyc94
Jim Hyla

Back to 18 in Pairwise. Colorado College beat Union 2-1. BU, Harvard and Quinnipiac all lost, lowering our RPI. Northeastern beat Minnesota.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2012 03:39PM

nyc94
nyc94
Jim Hyla

Back to 18 in Pairwise. Colorado College beat Union 2-1. BU, Harvard and Quinnipiac all lost, lowering our RPI. Northeastern beat Minnesota.
Just beat Colorado College.

Re: Florida UMass & Clarkson - Cornell postgame - winter swoon?
Date: January 02, 2012 09:45AM

Brian O'Neill scored four consecutive goals in the span of 14 minutes last night.

Date: January 02, 2012 10:54AM

Al DeFlorio
Looks like America One webcasts video of Colorado College games for an $8 daily fee.
[www.b2livetv.com]
An all-sports pass is $150 and hockey-only is $75!dribble
Al, it includes a lift ticket.

Re: Florida UMass & Clarkson - Cornell postgame - winter swoon?
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2012 11:46AM

Trotsky
Brian O'Neill scored four consecutive goals in the span of 14 minutes last night.
And I'll bet they were "unanswered," too.help

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: January 03, 2012 12:26PM

css228
Trotsky

We'd need more than one point in Colorado Springs to make that happen. Our only real PWR hope at this point since we basically just lost an OOC game and have no chance at winning hockey east comparisons at this point is probably more like 3 points at CC. And I doubt that's happening after last night.

Do any of the PWR calculators allow you to toggle on/off the 10 game TUC minimum? Seems to me, it's too early to write off a lot of these comparisons until that point is in play for more of the top teams. We're also a long way from knowing which side of the TUC fence teams like Dartmouth, Brown, Clarkson, and UMass will fall.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2012 01:30PM

ugarte
You are ignoring the possiblity that there are multiple causes. I've got my drill and my leeches.

That's an interesting way to refer to your wife and son.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2012 01:30PM

Chris '03
Do any of the PWR calculators allow you to toggle on/off the 10 game TUC minimum?

You do it, so I don't have to.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: January 03, 2012 01:41PM

jtwcornell91
Chris '03
Do any of the PWR calculators allow you to toggle on/off the 10 game TUC minimum?

You do it, so I don't have to.

Thanks, JTW! Should've known you'd have it.

Without 10 game TUC min (last team in!):

1 Ohio State (CC) 33
2 Minn-Duluth (WC) 32
3 Boston Coll (HE) 31
4 Minnesota (WC) 29
5 Notre Dame (CC) 29
6 Merrimack (HE) 27
7 Boston Univ (HE) 26
8 Mass-Lowell (HE) 25
9 CO College (WC) 24
10 Northern Mich (CC)
11 Western Mich (CC)
12 Mich State (CC) 22
13 Lake Superior (CC)
14 Michigan (CC) 19
15 Cornell (EC) 19
16 Colgate (EC) 19
17 Denver U (WC) 19
18 NorthEastern (HE) 17
19 North Dakota (WC) 15
20 Ferris State (CC) 14

[www.slack.net]

With min (second team out):
1 Ohio State (CC) 33
2 Minn-Duluth (WC) 32
3 Boston Coll (HE) 31
4 Notre Dame (CC) 29
5 Merrimack (HE) 28
6 Minnesota (WC) 28
7 Boston Univ (HE) 26
8 Mass-Lowell (HE) 25
9 Northern Mich (CC) 24
10 Mich State (CC) 23
11 CO College (WC) 23
12 Western Mich (CC) 23
13 Colgate (EC) 21
14 Lake Superior (CC)
15 Denver U (WC) 19
16 Michigan (CC) 19
17 Cornell (EC) 18
18 NorthEastern (HE)17
19 North Dakota (WC)15
20 Ferris State (CC)14

[www.slack.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login