Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

MSG Hockey v. Michigan

Posted by hypotenuse 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: MSG Hockey v. Michigan
Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 12:16PM

Was told by a reliable source that Mike is still working on making Michigan happen for next year - but at this point it's uncertain whether it'll be Yost or MSG. Michigan must be pretty tough to negotiate with.

Re: MSG Hockey v. Michigan - poll results
Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 12:23PM

billhoward
Trotsky
billhoward
Cornell U already uses Cornell-at-Columbia football in even years (in early November) as a springboard for a weeeknd if activities.
Hadn't thought of that. Has the MSG game always been on a year when the Columbia game is in Ithaca?
The three Cornell-BU games have been odd years. Cornell at Columbia falls in even years and usually (always?) in early November. There's a postgame parade down Fifth Avenue from St. Patrick's Cathedral to the Cornell Club afterwards. Our class held a rooftop bar reception the night before the game (same balmy weather as we had for the RHH game this year) and had a small event at the Architucture Art & Planning just before the game. It's one night when alumni can wander in and use the Cornell Club, or eat in parts of the club. The all-Cornell parade is pretty impressive even if it's only a half-dozen blocks, not all the way down from Baker Field. Cornell encourages other classes to do events around the Columbia football weekend.

Sports fanatics and Cornell partisans will do both but to get 5,000 (?) Cornellians and families to do it twice within 2-3 weeks, that's tough. It also may be a strain on Alumni House's ability to organize two NYC events in close proximity. Even if we can do Cornell-BU hockey every year, can BU muster the level of fan support?
Maybe, but given the choice between a Cornell-Columbia football game, or a Cornell Hockey game, what do you think your average Cornellian would choose?

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 07:35PM

css228
billhoward
Trotsky
billhoward
Cornell U already uses Cornell-at-Columbia football in even years (in early November) as a springboard for a weeeknd if activities.
Hadn't thought of that. Has the MSG game always been on a year when the Columbia game is in Ithaca?
The three Cornell-BU games have been odd years. Cornell at Columbia falls in even years and usually (always?) in early November. There's a postgame parade down Fifth Avenue from St. Patrick's Cathedral to the Cornell Club afterwards. Our class held a rooftop bar reception the night before the game (same balmy weather as we had for the RHH game this year) and had a small event at the Architucture Art & Planning just before the game. It's one night when alumni can wander in and use the Cornell Club, or eat in parts of the club. The all-Cornell parade is pretty impressive even if it's only a half-dozen blocks, not all the way down from Baker Field. Cornell encourages other classes to do events around the Columbia football weekend.

Sports fanatics and Cornell partisans will do both but to get 5,000 (?) Cornellians and families to do it twice within 2-3 weeks, that's tough. It also may be a strain on Alumni House's ability to organize two NYC events in close proximity. Even if we can do Cornell-BU hockey every year, can BU muster the level of fan support?
Maybe, but given the choice between a Cornell-Columbia football game, or a Cornell Hockey game, what do you think your average Cornellian would choose?

I agree. Cornell, if associated with any sport, is associated with hockey, not football. Hockey is the sport that Cornellians worldwide follow with zeal, especially when our beloved alma mater is a competitor. Cornell hockey is a far bigger draw for Cornell alumni than is football I am a Western New Yorker and I made the trip to MSG fo the BU game. I will do it for any subsequent contests against BU or other non-ECAC opponents. I am sure that I am far from alone when stating that I would not travel to Manhattan to watch Cornell-Columbia. Now, were Columbia to get a DI hockey program and a Cornell-Columbia outdoor ice hockey game were played at Columbia, I would make the trip. Cornell hockey has drawing power while Cornell-Columbia football will attract those Cornellians who are already proximate. Lest we forget that Cornell is "a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team." With Skorton's banter about Cornell being the land-grant university to the world and the emphasis that Cornell is the land-grant institution to New York State, it seems that the events that have the greatest breadth of appeal advance both Cornell's financial and philosophical objectives.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 07:41PM by Aaron M. Griffin.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2012 08:31PM

Aaron M. Griffin
css228
billhoward
Trotsky
billhoward

I agree. Cornell, if associated with any sport, is associated with hockey, not football. Hockey is the sport that Cornellians worldwide follow with zeal, especially when our beloved alma mater is a competitor. Cornell hockey is a far bigger draw for Cornell alumni than is football I am a Western New Yorker and I made the trip to MSG fo the BU game. I will do it for any subsequent contests against BU or other non-ECAC opponents. I am sure that I am far from alone when stating that I would not travel to Manhattan to watch Cornell-Columbia. Now, were Columbia to get a DI hockey program and a Cornell-Columbia outdoor ice hockey game were played at Columbia, I would make the trip. Cornell hockey has drawing power while Cornell-Columbia football will attract those Cornellians who are already proximate. Lest we forget that Cornell is "a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team." With Skorton's banter about Cornell being the land-grant university to the world and the emphasis that Cornell is the land-grant institution to New York State, it seems that the events that have the greatest breadth of appeal advance both Cornell's financial and philosophical objectives.

Unfortunately I don't think that is true. As bad as they have been football draws more than hockey. Sure MSG with CU & BU draws, but consider how unusual that game is. In MSG, with two top teams, and look at what they can get for CU & CU football, with two meaningless teams. Care to guess how many might go to Penn, if the game was for the Ivy championship? No, hockey fans will always have more passion, but, sad as it is, football will still outdraw us.:`-(

Date: January 01, 2012 08:54PM

I was just looking at North Dakota's campus map. That might be one of the places where football is outdrawn by hockey. That is, considering that Engelstad Arena has a bigger footprint than does their football stadium.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2012 07:54PM

Update pertaining to this thread. Matt Slovin, who is the student sports editor for The Michigan Daily who is also the beat reporter for Michigan hockey, tweeted two hours ago:

@MattSlovin
Can confirm: Michigan Hockey to play Cornell next season, per Berenson. Game will be played in New York.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2012 08:23PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Update pertaining to this thread. Matt Slovin, who is the student sports editor for The Michigan Daily who is also the beat reporter for Michigan hockey, tweeted two hours ago:

@MattSlovin
Can confirm: Michigan Hockey to play Cornell next season, per Berenson. Game will be played in New York.
The originals vs the impersonators... and a great game on the ice too!

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 15, 2012 10:27PM

Aaron M. Griffin

@MattSlovin

I asked Matt Slovin whether "New York" means MSG (as we all suspected) or Ithaca. Here's his response:

@MattSlovin
Sounds like MSG. Michigan coach's statement was purposefully ambiguous.

Link:

Date: February 15, 2012 10:54PM

jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

@MattSlovin

I asked Matt Slovin whether "New York" means MSG (as we all suspected) or Ithaca. Here's his response:

@MattSlovin

Link:

I caught the ambiguity with the choice of "New York." People familiar with the talks in Michigan stated that they believe that the Cornell-Michigan game will be scheduled around Thanksgiving like when the College Hockey Showcase used to be scheduled. The dates align with when the BU-Cornell games have been played at MSG. That would make it November 24, 2012.

At least with the choice of words "New York," we can rule out the possibility of playing another game at the Prudential Center next season during that time slot.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 10:55PM by Aaron M. Griffin.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2012 11:41PM

Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

@MattSlovin

@MattSlovin

Link:

I caught the ambiguity with the choice of "New York." People familiar with the talks in Michigan stated that they believe that the Cornell-Michigan game will be scheduled around Thanksgiving like when the College Hockey Showcase used to be scheduled. The dates align with when the BU-Cornell games have been played at MSG. That would make it November 24, 2012.

At least with the choice of words "New York," we can rule out the possibility of playing another game at the Prudential Center next season during that time slot.

But not Nassau Coliseum. uhoh

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 02:30AM

jtwcornell91
Aaron M. Griffin
jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

@MattSlovin

@MattSlovin

Link:

But not Nassau Coliseum. uhoh

Giving your nervous smilie something to look at.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 02:32AM by ajh258.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 07:12AM

Aaron M. Griffin
That's optimistic, but people refer to Somerville, Cambridge, Newton, and Wellesley as "Boston" all the time, yet none of them are actually in Boston. The Pru is close enough to New York to qualify as "New York" to someone like Red.

Date: February 16, 2012 11:02AM

Kyle Rose
Aaron M. Griffin
That's optimistic, but people refer to Somerville, Cambridge, Newton, and Wellesley as "Boston" all the time, yet none of them are actually in Boston. The Pru is close enough to New York to qualify as "New York" to someone like Red.
But at least those are all in Mass. It's common to refer to city suburbs in the same state by the city. I've not seen that for out of state suburbs, but maybe it happens.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 11:05AM

Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Aaron M. Griffin
But at least those are all in Mass. It's common to refer to city suburbs in the same state by the city. I've not seen that for out of state suburbs, but maybe it happens.
Remind me which team won the Super Bowl? (and where they play).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 11:06AM by KeithK.

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: February 16, 2012 11:08AM

Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Aaron M. Griffin
Haven't specifically heard it either, but surely the eastern suburbs are still "in Philadelphia" and the western suburbs are "in Kansas City."

Date: February 16, 2012 11:12AM

Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Aaron M. Griffin
I think you're disagreeing for the sake of being disagreeable. How many states share a name with a big city, where that big city is right on the border of another state? "New York" here clearly refers to the city. When you choose "New York airports" in Expedia, it includes LGA, JFK, and EWR. Newark is closer to midtown Manhattan than JFK. When my buddy who lives in Jersey City tells someone in Boston where he's from, he says "New York". Etc., etc.

And FWIW the Rock was not the problem with the game two years ago. I'd be perfectly happy hitting the Rock for a game between Cornell and Michigan. I would probably skip an MSG game between Cornell and Colgate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 11:13AM by Kyle Rose.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2012 11:21AM

Kyle Rose
When you choose "New York airports" in Expedia, it includes LGA, JFK, and EWR. Newark is closer to midtown Manhattan than JFK.

No, it's not.

When my buddy who lives in Jersey City tells someone in Boston where he's from, he says "New York". Etc., etc.

Your buddy makes his own choices about what to tell people. He may be saying "New York" because he doesn't want to deal with people ridiculing New Jersey every time he says that's where he lives, or he may be saying it because there's more cachet to "New YorK" than to "Jersey City." But it doesn't mean that anybody who actually lives in New York considers Jersey City to be part of New York City in remotely the same way that people from Massachusetts might use "Boston" as shorthand for the various towns that border it.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2012 11:25AM

Beeeej
Kyle Rose
When you choose "New York airports" in Expedia, it includes LGA, JFK, and EWR. Newark is closer to midtown Manhattan than JFK.

No, it's not.
Actually, it is, by any reasonable measure you might choose. I'll use Google Maps driving directions, which judges them closer to each other than the direct line I was originally implying.
[g.co]
[g.co]

When my buddy who lives in Jersey City tells someone in Boston where he's from, he says "New York". Etc., etc.

Your buddy makes his own choices about what to tell people. He may be saying "New York" because he doesn't want to deal with people ridiculing New Jersey every time he says that's where he lives, or he may be saying it because there's more cachet to "New YorK" than to "Jersey City." But it doesn't mean that anybody who actually lives in New York considers Jersey City to be part of New York City in remotely the same way that people from Massachusetts might use "Boston" as shorthand for the various towns that border it.
I'm sure people in Boston would scoff at my telling people I'm from Boston when I really live in Somerville. But the issue here is what someone like Red Berenson means when he says "New York", not what a New Yorker means when he says "New York". Christ, is this really that hard to understand? I think you people like picking nits because you have nothing better to do. I'm simply making the point that Red might say "New York" even if the game is at the Rock.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 11:26AM by Kyle Rose.

Date: February 16, 2012 11:31AM

Kyle Rose
Beeeej
Kyle Rose

No, it's not.
Actually, it is, by any reasonable measure you might choose. I'll use Google Maps driving directions, which judges them closer to each other than the direct line I was originally implying.
[g.co]
[g.co]

Yes, Newark is obviously closer to the west side of Manhattan than JFK is. I thought you meant "midtown Manhattan" when you said "midtown Manhattan."

[g.co]
[g.co]

I'm sure people in Boston would scoff at my telling people I'm from Boston when I really live in Somerville. But the issue here is what someone like Red Berenson means when he says "New York", not what a New Yorker means when he says "New York". Christ, is this really that hard to understand? I think you people like picking nits because you have nothing better to do. I'm simply making the point that Red might say "New York" even if the game is at the Rock.

And I think anybody who would say "New York" when the game is scheduled to be in Newark, New Jersey, in the building where the New Jersey Devils play, is an idiot. I don't pick nits, I just don't think Red's an idiot.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2012 11:46AM

Beeeej
Kyle Rose
Beeeej
Kyle Rose

No, it's not.
[g.co]
[g.co]

Yes, Newark is obviously closer to the west side of Manhattan than JFK is. I thought you meant "midtown Manhattan" when you said "midtown Manhattan."

[g.co]
[g.co]
Since when is Times Square "the west side of Manhattan"? Did you even look at the maps I posted?

And I think anybody who would say "New York" when the game is scheduled to be in Newark, New Jersey, in the building where the New Jersey Devils play, is an idiot.
Yes, I have no doubt that you, as a New Yorker, would think so. That's why I'm not really that interested in what you think about what the term "New York" means in what someone not from New York says.

Date: February 16, 2012 11:57AM

Kyle Rose
Beeeej
Kyle Rose
Beeeej
Kyle Rose
Newark is closer to midtown Manhattan than JFK.

No, it's not.
[g.co]
[g.co]

[g.co]
[g.co]
Since when is Times Square "the west side of Manhattan"? Did you even look at the maps I posted?

Times Square is on the west side of Manhattan. Even on the maps you posted, which I did look at. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

And for what it's worth, yes, I concede, Times Square is part of what is considered "midtown Manhattan" - but so is the News building at 42nd and 2nd, and that is closer to JFK than it is to EWR. As long as you think I'm picking nits, I may as well go ahead and do it - about half of Manhattan is closer to EWR than to JFK, and about half of Manhattan is closer to JFK than to EWR. You just happened to pick a spot that agreed with your premise instead of one that didn't.

And I think anybody who would say "New York" when the game is scheduled to be in Newark, New Jersey, in the building where the New Jersey Devils play, is an idiot.
Yes, I have no doubt that you, as a New Yorker, would think so. That's why I'm not really that interested in what you think about what the term "New York" means in what someone not from New York says.

I'm sorry, I forgot - as someone who lives in the Boston area, you would obviously know better than I or anybody else what someone from Regina, Saskatchewan, who lives in Michigan, might mean when he refers to "New York."

No, I repeat, I sincerely and vehemently doubt that "someone like Red" believes that Newark qualifies as New York or would use "New York" to refer to Newark.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 12:00PM

Robb
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Aaron M. Griffin
Haven't specifically heard it either, but surely the eastern suburbs are still "in Philadelphia" and the western suburbs are "in Kansas City."

For the record, Philadelphia has no claim to Camden. moon

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 12:01PM

Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Aaron M. Griffin
I think people who live in NYC tend to use more detailed terminology here to refer to suburbs (i.e., you're correct, would not call Newark "New York";), but I think that's because if you used "New York" collectively to refer to the whole area you would be referring to such a large geographical area that it's not an informative descriptor (the "New York metropolitan area" includes parts of three states, including the five counties of NYC, Nassau County on Long Island, Westchester and Rockland Counties in mainland NYS, Fairfield County in Connecticut, and maybe as many as six counties in New Jersey), rather than because it's across state lines. Heck, I've heard people who live in not-particularly-distant parts of Brooklyn say "go into New York" to mean "go from Brooklyn to Manhattan".

So, I think you're right that it's not common for people here to refer to out-of-state NYC suburbs as "New York". That being said, Red rarely leaves Michigan, and I could see someone from the Midwest using "New York" as shorthand for "the New York city metropolitan area", and that that descriptor as used by him could include Newark or Uniondale.

All that being said, our men are in the top 15, our women are among the best handful of teams in the country, and we'll find out where this game is eventually, so I feel really silly for wasting my time parsing Red's words when I could actually be talking about the team. Let's go Red. (Cornell Red, not Red Berenson.) Harvard sucks.

Date: February 16, 2012 12:11PM

Beeeej
No, I repeat, I sincerely and vehemently doubt that "someone like Red" believes that Newark qualifies as New York or would use "New York" to refer to Newark.
Your opinion on the subject is noted.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: February 16, 2012 12:20PM

jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

@MattSlovin

@MattSlovin

Link:

Well as long as nits are being picked and words parsed, any chance of the game being held in Buffalo? That is still in New York, correct?

(ducks as the "upstaters and downstaters" debate this). bolt

Posted by: css228 (---.lrc.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2012 12:21PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Which is why East Philadelphia is the Delaware River. Still, and saying this as someone from the western suburbs, Cherry Hill is more Philadelphia than most of the Main Line.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 12:36PM

Kyle Rose
Beeeej isn't a New Yorker. He moved to Brooklyn.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: February 16, 2012 12:37PM

Rita
Well as long as nits are being picked and words parsed, any chance of the game being held in Buffalo? That is still in New York, correct?
I know that you're joking but what if upstate isn't totally ridiculous? Maybe the game will be in Ithaca as part of a 2 for 1 or something. "Intentionally ambiguous" is an intriguing phrase.

Date: February 16, 2012 12:37PM

KeithK
Kyle Rose
Brooklyn is New York. Beeeej isn't a New Yorker because he grew up upstate.

Date: February 16, 2012 12:40PM

ugarte
KeithK
Kyle Rose
Just like I'll never be "from Boston" because I moved here at 22. But that doesn't mean I can't learn the accent and squawk the local conventional wisdom. Converts are usually the most devoted followers.

Date: February 16, 2012 12:45PM

ugarte
KeithK
Kyle Rose

If Beeeej isn't a New Yorker, it's because he was born in New Jersey. Further away from midtown Manhattan than JFK, even.

But I think Keith wins this thread. whistle

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 12:45PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.105.---)
Date: February 16, 2012 02:18PM

When I saw 19 unread comments in this thread, I assumed that Michigan or CU had announced the event and y'all were talking about it. Instead, you were comparing the distance from The Centre of the Universe to two mediocre airports. Thanks, guys.

Date: February 16, 2012 02:20PM

Ben
When I saw 19 unread comments in this thread, I assumed that Michigan or CU had announced the event and y'all were talking about it. Instead, you were comparing the distance from The Centre of the Universe to two mediocre airports. Thanks, guys.

What are you, new?

- Steve Worona

Date: February 16, 2012 02:27PM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Aaron M. Griffin
I think you're disagreeing for the sake of being disagreeable. How many states share a name with a big city, where that big city is right on the border of another state? "New York" here clearly refers to the city. When you choose "New York airports" in Expedia, it includes LGA, JFK, and EWR. Newark is closer to midtown Manhattan than JFK. When my buddy who lives in Jersey City tells someone in Boston where he's from, he says "New York". Etc., etc.

And FWIW the Rock was not the problem with the game two years ago. I'd be perfectly happy hitting the Rock for a game between Cornell and Michigan. I would probably skip an MSG game between Cornell and Colgate.
I don't think I was trying to be disagreeable. I was just trying to point out how suburban people seem to differ in how they refer to where they live. But if you feel better feeling I was disagreeable, that's OK with me.

Date: February 16, 2012 02:36PM

Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Aaron M. Griffin

But if you feel better feeling I was disagreeable, that's OK with me.
Stop being so agreeable.

Date: February 16, 2012 02:40PM

ugarte
Rita
I know that you're joking but what if upstate isn't totally ridiculous? Maybe the game will be in Ithaca as part of a 2 for 1 or something. "Intentionally ambiguous" is an intriguing phrase.
You know, we have a perfectly serviceable AHL arena in Rochester, which is a direct flight from DTW. Yes, I know, Syracuse is closer to Ithaca, but our rink doesn't suck. And our Dinosaur BBQ within stumbling distance of our arena (which neither Syracuse nor NYC can say).

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 02:50PM

I hear Red ate Cheerios for breakfast this morning. Could that be a hint as to where the game is?!?!?!1/!?1!?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: February 16, 2012 03:49PM

jtwcornell91
ugarte
Rita
You know, we have a perfectly serviceable AHL arena in Rochester, which is a direct flight from DTW. Yes, I know, Syracuse is closer to Ithaca, but our rink doesn't suck. And our Dinosaur BBQ within stumbling distance of our arena (which neither Syracuse nor NYC can say).

I was beaten to the Blue Cross Arena and First Niagara Center plugs.

Very good point about the Dinosaur BBQ. Right down the street.

(FNC cap. 18,690, MSG cap. 18,200).

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: February 16, 2012 03:53PM

jtwcornell91

Our Dinosaur BBQ is within stumbling distance of the 1 train, which for all intents and purposes makes it within stumbling distance of MSG. And no designated drivers required for getting home afterward.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 04:20PM

I'm with Ben. Sometimes the tangents on these threads can be annoying. So I stop reading them and hope I don't miss something important.

Date: February 16, 2012 04:43PM

KeithK
Kyle Rose
Bring back the -1! flipd

:-}

Date: February 16, 2012 04:48PM

Ben
In fairness, mediocre airports are all we have around here.

Date: February 16, 2012 05:01PM

jtwcornell91
ugarte
Rita
We're not Rochester, which Rochester cannot say.

Date: February 16, 2012 06:06PM

css228
Jeff Hopkins '82
Which is why East Philadelphia is the Delaware River. Still, and saying this as someone from the western suburbs, Cherry Hill is more Philadelphia than most of the Main Line.

Yeah, I almost tried to claim Cherry Hill, but I just thought about the roads between the Ben Franklin and there and shuddered.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 08:23PM

French Rage
I hear Red ate Cheerios for breakfast this morning. Could that be a hint as to where the game is?!?!?!1/!?1!?
In a Janet Evanovich / Stephanie Plum novel.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 10:17PM

billhoward
French Rage

But this thread is more Jodi Picoult.barf

Date: February 16, 2012 11:33PM

Beeeej
jtwcornell91

Our Dinosaur BBQ is within stumbling distance of the 1 train, which for all intents and purposes makes it within stumbling distance of MSG. And no designated drivers required for getting home afterward.

Well, I don't need a DD since it's 1/2 mile from my house. cheer I guess it would be impractical to have the entire Lynah Faithful stay in my guest room, though.

Date: February 17, 2012 07:42AM

billhoward
French Rage

Oh God. Please don't have the game in Trenton.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 08:56AM

So, to summarize:

New Yorkers are asshats.

We're playing Michigan somewhere.

Harvard sucks.

Date: February 17, 2012 09:00AM

Trotsky
So, to summarize:

New Yorkers are asshats.

Harvard sucks.
That was some excellent nutshelling there

Date: February 17, 2012 09:08AM

css228
Trotsky
So, to summarize:

New Yorkers are asshats.

Harvard sucks.
That sounds like some kind of weird sexual fetish.

Date: February 17, 2012 10:29AM

Trotsky
New Yorkers are asshats.
Aren't you from Long Island?

Date: February 17, 2012 10:33AM

css228
Trotsky
So, to summarize:

New Yorkers are asshats.

Harvard sucks.
And some beautiful verbing.

"Verbing weirds language" -Calvin (& Hobbes)

Date: February 17, 2012 12:51PM

Trying to decide whether attempting to redirect the thread drift is worthwhile. Most likely its futile and pointless.

Date: February 17, 2012 12:54PM

css228
Trying to decide whether attempting to redirect the thread drift is worthwhile. Most likely its futile and pointless.
Write down the date. Someone refrained from attempting something futile and pointless on a message board!

Date: February 17, 2012 03:12PM

Robb
css228
Write down the date. Someone refrained from attempting something futile and pointless on a message board!
I think we should discuss this further, right here in this thread.

Date: February 17, 2012 05:04PM

Ben

JFK and LaGuardia are "mediocre airports"? I'm not going to dispute that claim. As far as I know, it could be true. Instead I'm going ask how you know something like that. Have you really been to enough airports that you can tell if an airport is "good" or "bad"? Do you have a list ranking of all the airports in the country (if so, please share it)? I just thought all airports were basically the same.

Also, I feel somewhat responsible for this pointless tanget since I was the one who linked to the Twitter post about "New York" being vague. I apologize for sharing information with all of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 05:07PM by jtn27.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: February 17, 2012 05:07PM

jtn27
Ben

JFK and LaGuardia are "mediocre airports"? I'm not going to dispute that claim. As far as I know, it could be true. Instead I'm going ask how you know something like that. Have you really been to enough airports that you can tell if an airport is "good" or "bad"? Do you have a listing of all the airports in the country (if so, please share it)? I just thought all airports were basically the same.

Also, I feel somewhat responsible for this pointless tanget since I was the one who linked to the Twitter post about "New York" being vague. I apologize for sharing information with all of you.

RSW airport in Fort Myers is a very nice airport, they have FREE wifi. woot

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2012 05:21PM

Rita
jtn27
Ben

JFK and LaGuardia are "mediocre airports"? I'm not going to dispute that claim. As far as I know, it could be true. Instead I'm going ask how you know something like that. Have you really been to enough airports that you can tell if an airport is "good" or "bad"? Do you have a listing of all the airports in the country (if so, please share it)? I just thought all airports were basically the same.

Board

Date: February 17, 2012 05:24PM

Rita
jtn27
Ben

So does the airport here in Allentown.

JFK has some very nice architecture, but is a nightmare to get around and very disorganized. And if you live anywhere besides Long Island or Manhattan, it's a bitch to get to. LaGuardia is in a perpetual state of delay. The best airport in the NY area IMHO is Newark, but that's not saying much.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 17, 2012 05:35PM

jtn27
JFK and LaGuardia are "mediocre airports"? I'm not going to dispute that claim. As far as I know, it could be true. Instead I'm going ask how you know something like that. Have you really been to enough airports that you can tell if an airport is "good" or "bad"? Do you have a list ranking of all the airports in the country (if so, please share it)? I just thought all airports were basically the same.

Oh dear. Allow me to introduce "the internet" to you. This type of obessive-compulsive topic is exactly why it exists.

One of many. For even more nit-picking, see marty's link in this thread.

And yes, a lot of us have traveled through enough airports to tell. PHL & IAD are the worst. I like DTW & CLT.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 05:48PM by RichH.

Date: February 17, 2012 05:42PM

RichH
jtn27
Do you have a list ranking of all the airports in the country (if so, please share it)? I just thought all airports were basically the same..

Oh dear. Allow me to introduce "the internet" to you. This type of obessive-compulsive topic is exactly why it exists.

I don't actually want/need a list of airports. I just want to see if Ben actually compiled one himself.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 05:54PM

I for one strongly endorse thread drift. It's like having a bunch of my friends sitting around bullshitting, tossing out jokes and insults as needed. If you just want information go to a news site. :-D

Date: February 17, 2012 06:40PM

RichH
jtn27

One of many. For even more nit-picking, see marty's link in this thread.

And yes, a lot of us have traveled through enough airports to tell. PHL & IAD are the worst. I like DTW & CLT.

I went about a decade without flying through IAD, and I was amazed that it really did suck as muck as I remembered. DTW is very nice, and ATL is barely tolerable. EWR is not bad, especially since they added the direct shuttle between terminals A and C bypassing security, and the New Jersey Transit connection to Penn Station makes it the most convenient for getting to much of the City. Connecting domestic to international through JFK is so inconvenient it's funny after the first time or two.

I have yet to change planes in a US airport as awful as CDG, though.

Date: February 17, 2012 06:41PM

KeithK
I for one strongly endorse thread drift. It's like having a bunch of my friends sitting around bullshitting, tossing out jokes and insults as needed. If you just want information go to a news site. :-D

If the thread only had beer and popcorn, it would be perfect.

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2012 06:43PM

jtwcornell91
Connecting domestic to international through JFK is so inconvenient it's funny after the first time or two.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEE.

Oops - sorry. Flashback.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2012 06:45PM

jtwcornell91
KeithK

I can provide the popcorn, at least ... popcorn

Date: February 17, 2012 06:46PM

jtwcornell91
KeithK

You could just eat and drink while you read...

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2012 07:18PM

scoop85
jtwcornell91

I can provide the popcorn, at least ... popcorn

And... drunk

Posted by: bnr24 (---.dhcp.drexel.edu)
Date: February 17, 2012 10:40PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
French Rage

Better Trenton than Camden...does Camden even HAVE a rink?

And as someone from the western northeastern suburbs of Philly (essentially as close to Jersey as one can get without being IN Jersey) sadly living within the city for grad school, no one ever says they are in Philly if they're in a Jersey suburb. NEAR Philly, sure. Not in. deadhorse
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 10:42PM by bnr24.

Date: February 18, 2012 01:14AM

bnr24
Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
French Rage

And as someone from the western northeastern suburbs of Philly (essentially as close to Jersey as one can get without being IN Jersey) sadly living within the city for grad school, no one ever says they are in Philly if they're in a Jersey suburb. NEAR Philly, sure. Not in. deadhorse
Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2012 05:46PM

I've never been so grateful for the "Mark Read" button... Thank You Age.rolleyes

Date: February 19, 2012 01:01PM

Jim Hyla
bnr24
Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
French Rage

Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

As anyone from Philly knows, you're from your neighborhood first, and Philly second.

"Where're you from?" "Philly" "Yeah, but Where're you from?"

Date: February 22, 2012 12:16PM

Beeeej
jtwcornell91

[url=]In 2013, we can play the game at Barclays in Brooklyn[/url].

[url=http://twitter.com/ugarles]quality tweets[/url] | [url=https://bsky.app/profile/ugarles.bsky.social]bluesky (twitter 2) | [/url] [url=http://soundcloud.com/ALABpodcast]ALAB Series podcast[/url] | [url=https://linktr.ee/ugarles]Other podcasts and writing[/url]

Date: February 22, 2012 12:20PM

ugarte
Beeeej
jtwcornell91

[url=]In 2013, we can play the game at Barclays in Brooklyn[/url].[/quote]Which will be within no-subway-required walking distance of the [url=http://ny.eater.com/archives/2012/01/dinosaur_barbque_coming_soon_to_park_slope.php]new Dinosaur that is rumored to be opening in Brooklyn in the next couple of years[/url].

Date: February 22, 2012 12:20PM

ugarte
Beeeej
jtwcornell91

[url=]In 2013, we can play the game at Barclays in Brooklyn[/url].[/quote]

Dinosaur BBQ two subway stops from home? [b][i]Awesome.[/i][/b]

- Steve Worona

Date: February 22, 2012 12:34PM

Josh '99
ugarte
Beeeej
jtwcornell91

[url=]In 2013, we can play the game at Barclays in Brooklyn[/url].[/quote]Which will be within no-subway-required walking distance of the [url=http://ny.eater.com/archives/2012/01/dinosaur_barbque_coming_soon_to_park_slope.php]new Dinosaur that is rumored to be opening in Brooklyn in the next couple of years[/url].[/quote]Whoops, which was actually what you were getting at in the first place.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 22, 2012 01:21PM

Beeeej
ugarte
Beeeej
jtwcornell91

[url=]In 2013, we can play the game at Barclays in Brooklyn[/url].[/quote]

Dinosaur BBQ two subway stops from home? [b][i]Awesome.[/i][/b][/quote]

Islanders v. Devils preseason game at Barclays on October 2.

Date: February 22, 2012 02:25PM

Josh '99
Josh '99
ugarte
Beeeej
jtwcornell91

[url=]In 2013, we can play the game at Barclays in Brooklyn[/url].[/quote]Which will be within no-subway-required walking distance of the [url=http://ny.eater.com/archives/2012/01/dinosaur_barbque_coming_soon_to_park_slope.php]new Dinosaur that is rumored to be opening in Brooklyn in the next couple of years[/url].[/quote]Whoops, which was actually what you were getting at in the first place.[/quote]
Forgiven.

[url=http://twitter.com/ugarles]quality tweets[/url] | [url=https://bsky.app/profile/ugarles.bsky.social]bluesky (twitter 2) | [/url] [url=http://soundcloud.com/ALABpodcast]ALAB Series podcast[/url] | [url=https://linktr.ee/ugarles]Other podcasts and writing[/url]

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: February 22, 2012 03:06PM

jtn27
Aaron M. Griffin

@MattSlovin

@MattSlovin

Link:
Barclay's Center (Brooklyn) may be actually one of the sites under consideration, which would explain Berenson's "in New York" language.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 22, 2012 04:45PM

jkahn
Barclay's Center (Brooklyn) may be actually one of the sites under consideration, which would explain Berenson's "in New York" language.
Have you learned nothing from this thread? :(

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2012 10:25PM

Trotsky
jkahn
Have you learned nothing from this thread? :(

Hey, I was born there. I was referencing Berenson's perspective.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 01:08AM

Since we dusted off the Answer thread, I think this one deserves to be revived too. We've had memorable OT games with BU, Michigan, and Wisconsin now. I'm happy with any of them.

Posted by: hypotenuse (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:07PM

as the person who started this thread, as of a week or two ago i was told they were still working on he game with Mich at MSG for thanksgiving weekend, but that it looked good. by the way, do you think there is any chance we will have played michigan before that?

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login