Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros: December 2011

Posted by jkahn 
Alumni in the Pros: December 2011
Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2011 12:52AM

Saw Matt Moulson get a goal and an assist tonight, with several other close chances in the Isles 5-4 o't. loss in Chicago. Went with an '03 friend who spotted Stephen Bâby in the stands with someone who may have been Ben Wallace.

Re: Alumni in the Pros: December 2011
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2011 09:43PM

Moulson with a hat trick 6:00 into the 2nd against Dallas. Crazy game; Iles were up 3-0, then Stars score 3 in about 2 mins early in the second, then Moulson gets his third about 1 minute after the Stars tied it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2011 10:07PM

scoop85
Moulson with a hat trick 6:00 into the 2nd against Dallas. Crazy game; Iles were up 3-0, then Stars score 3 in about 2 mins early in the second, then Moulson gets his third about 1 minute after the Stars tied it.
Moulson has 4 goals through two periods.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2011 10:11PM

Trotsky
scoop85
Moulson has 4 goals through two periods.

Howie Rose says it's the first 4-goal game in the NHL this season. Other Islander goal by Dylan Reese, of Sucks infamy.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2011 06:10PM

scoop85
Goalie: Iles
Team: Isles

:-}

Posted by: RichH (---.st.northropgrumman.com)
Date: December 05, 2011 06:15PM

Josh '99
scoop85
Goalie: Iles
Team: Isles

:-}

For a minute, I thought Age put in another self-correcting filter like for Bâby.

Edit: Yep, still works.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 06:15PM by RichH.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2011 11:29PM

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 09:34AM

Moulson could have had five, he had a partial breakaway but the goalie had a great save. Now it's time for Greening to put a few in the net.....

Date: December 07, 2011 02:34PM

Moulson had a goal and an assist last night and had a few other passes that could (should?) have led to goals. En fuego.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 03:22PM

RatushnyFan
Moulson had a goal and an assist last night and had a few other passes that could (should?) have led to goals. En fuego.
He's also leading the team in +/- with a +3.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 03:43PM

Trotsky
RatushnyFan
He's also leading the team in +/- with a +3.
Putting him 18 ahead of former BC standout center Marty Reasoner.cheer

Date: December 08, 2011 11:07AM

Dave McKee CHL Goalie of the Week
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 11:10AM by The Rancor.

Date: December 08, 2011 11:13AM

Dave McKee fights Cancer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 11:28AM by CowbellGuy.

Greening Goal Dec. 10
Date: December 10, 2011 11:22PM

Colin Greening scored shorthanded tonight in a 4-1 loss to the Canucks.
[www.nhl.com]

Re: Greening Goal Dec. 10
Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2011 11:10PM

Doug Murray has been injured for a few games, but tonight he's been in the both for the TV broadcast of the Sharks' game. So that's cool.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Re: Alumni in the Pros: December 13, 2011
Date: December 13, 2011 10:27PM

Colin Greening got a fighting major tonight at the end of regulation. He had bumped into Ryan Miller trying to get around the back of the net chasing Christian Erhoff, and Erhoff took exception and started swinging. Greening would've spent the entire five minute overtime in the penalty box, but his stay was shortened by the Senators' winning goal. Greening also had an assist tonight. And Matt Moulson had a goal as the Isles lost to the Habs.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 11:22AM

jkahn
Colin Greening got a fighting major tonight at the end of regulation. He had bumped into Ryan Miller trying to get around the back of the net chasing Christian Erhoff, and Erhoff took exception and started swinging. Greening would've spent the entire five minute overtime in the penalty box, but his stay was shortened by the Senators' winning goal. Greening also had an assist tonight. And Matt Moulson had a goal as the Isles lost to the Habs.

I didn't see the play, but it seems like since the Lucic incident, the Sabres are trying to prove that they won't tolerate so much as a fart near Miller. Yeesh.

Date: December 14, 2011 12:52PM

ftyuv
I didn't see the play, but it seems like since the Lucic incident, the Sabres are trying to prove that they won't tolerate so much as a fart near Miller. Yeesh.
There was another incident covered on PTI that actually looked pretty intentional, too. Probably a good idea to stay away from Miller (or better yet, troll the Sabre D and pick up some quality powerplay time).

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 02:05PM

Trotsky
ftyuv
There was another incident covered on PTI that actually looked pretty intentional, too. Probably a good idea to stay away from Miller (or better yet, troll the Sabre D and pick up some quality powerplay time).

Greening's hit on Miller seems pretty intentional and flagrant. After Gaustad did nothing when Lucic hit Miller and then Tootoo's hit on Miller during his first game back after the Lucic hit, the Sabres have become preoccupied with defending teammates and seeking retribution, especially when Miller is involved.

Greening-Miller hit/Greening-Ehrhoff fight:

Date: December 14, 2011 02:23PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Trotsky
ftyuv

Greening's hit on Miller seems pretty intentional and flagrant. After Gaustad did nothing when Lucic hit Miller and then Tootoo's hit on Miller during his first game back after the Lucic hit, the Sabres have become preoccupied with defending teammates and seeking retribution, especially when Miller is involved.

I'm not a big fan of this play by Greening, but it's not even in the same ballpark as what Lucic did. Lucic got Miller squarely in the head at full speed, Greening was coasting (if you watch the shot starting at around 0:32 you don't see Greening take a single stride from the faceoff circle, where he is when the shot begins) and, while I would say he didn't do enough to go around Miller, Miller only gets knocked into the net because he's off balance from playing the puck and just starting to skate backward when Greening makes contact.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 02:40PM

Josh '99
Aaron M. Griffin
Trotsky
ftyuv

I'm not a big fan of this play by Greening, but it's not even in the same ballpark as what Lucic did. Lucic got Miller squarely in the head at full speed, Greening was coasting (if you watch the shot starting at around 0:32 you don't see Greening take a single stride from the faceoff circle, where he is when the shot begins) and, while I would say he didn't do enough to go around Miller, Miller only gets knocked into the net because he's off balance from playing the puck and just starting to skate backward when Greening makes contact.

It is nowhere near the same as what Lucic did to Miller. I am not a fan of what Greening did, but it is not as suspect or flagrant as what Lucic, or Tootoo for that matter, did to Miller. The Sabres have taken upon this hypersensitive protection of Miller.

Date: December 14, 2011 02:57PM

Aaron M. Griffin
The Sabres have taken upon this hypersensitive protection of Miller.
I can't really blame them.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 03:59PM

Josh '99
Aaron M. Griffin
The Sabres have taken upon this hypersensitive protection of Miller.
I can't really blame them.
I can't either, but given my loyalties, I believe that if a goalie protects himself this kind of stuff stops happening. How many guys really sought to go after Billy Smith or Ron Hextall?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 04:31PM

Aaron M. Griffin
It is nowhere near the same as what Lucic did to Miller. I am not a fan of what Greening did, but it is not as suspect or flagrant as what Lucic, or Tootoo for that matter, did to Miller. The Sabres have taken upon this hypersensitive protection of Miller.
In which case you could say that this was a smart play from the Senator's point of view. Take the opportunity to hit Miller and draw one of the oppositions D-men into a fight going into overtime. I have no idea if there was any intent and the idea is kind of dirty (or at least cheap) but if a team is hypersensitive about their goalie it does make some sense to take advantage of it.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 05:29PM

KeithK
Aaron M. Griffin
In which case you could say that this was a smart play from the Senator's point of view. Take the opportunity to hit Miller and draw one of the oppositions D-men into a fight going into overtime. I have no idea if there was any intent and the idea is kind of dirty (or at least cheap) but if a team is hypersensitive about their goalie it does make some sense to take advantage of it.

I completely disagree. There's a reason why the goalie has a protected area, and why hockey is trying to clamp down on any potential for head injuries. I don't think Greening had that intent, but it should never, ever even be thought about. What would you be saying if Miller's head hit the metal of the goal and he had a whiplash type head injury, with recurrence of concussion symptoms. It's not worth winning a game and potentially destroying someone's life. Not that I think you have that in mind, but that type of contact is too dangerous.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 05:58PM

That was pretty much a dick move by Greening. Hard to defend such a blatant attack on a goalie, especially with his back to you after the play had already moved on.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: December 14, 2011 06:34PM

Kyle Rose
That was pretty much a dick move by Greening. Hard to defend such a blatant attack on a goalie, especially with his back to you after the play had already moved on.
Exactly. Greening didn't clumsily "bump into" a stumbling Miller, he shoved him into the goal. If the closest Sabre to Greening didn't take a swing at him it would have been shocking.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 08:06PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
Aaron M. Griffin

I completely disagree. There's a reason why the goalie has a protected area, and why hockey is trying to clamp down on any potential for head injuries. I don't think Greening had that intent, but it should never, ever even be thought about. What would you be saying if Miller's head hit the metal of the goal and he had a whiplash type head injury, with recurrence of concussion symptoms. It's not worth winning a game and potentially destroying someone's life. Not that I think you have that in mind, but that type of contact is too dangerous.
I'm not really condoning it, even if my post reads that way. I'm just looking at the incentives that the situation presents. It's similar to the reason why teams often don't release details about a player's injury, saying instead "Upper body injury". There's some incentive to take advantage of it if you know that a guy has a hurt knee or whatever.

Date: December 15, 2011 04:59PM

Greening didn't do enough to get out of the way. You don't touch the goalie. My opinion is that Ehrhoff's response was appropriate.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2011 11:38AM

Via ECAC article on Moulson at SI.com.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 19, 2011 08:02AM

Jim Hyla

They could've said a bit more about his success at Cornell rather than just saying "he played 4 years."

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: December 19, 2011 10:02AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla

They could've said a bit more about his success at Cornell rather than just saying "he played 4 years."

They could have included a lot of things they just glossed over. Like here's a kid who was cut by everyone but got drafted...I don't know...somehow. Or how he "wound up" in the L.A. system. Or why exactly he has "a strong working rapport with the splendid Tavares," which is a key detail in his success with the Isles.

Plus there's the fact that the first mention of the subject of the article doesn't happen until midway through.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 10:07AM by RichH.

Posted by: BMac (---.demarc.cogentco.com)
Date: December 19, 2011 12:34PM

Then there's this beauty:

SI article
Not much of a skater and hardly a sniper (although the shot is better than advertised), Moulson just seems to maneuver himself into positions where he can get things done.

(emphasis mine)

I haven't watched him much in the NHL, but he used to be a great sniper for Cornell!

Date: December 19, 2011 05:31PM

BMac

SI article
Not much of a skater and hardly a sniper (although the shot is better than advertised), Moulson just seems to maneuver himself into positions where he can get things done.

(emphasis mine)

I haven't watched him much in the NHL, but he used to be a great sniper for Cornell!
I'd disagree with you there. We've had tons better snipers.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 19, 2011 11:40PM

This is as good a place as any to post a story about Jean-Marc Pelletier finishing his Cornell degree this semester:
[www.news.cornell.edu]

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 12:14AM

Chris '03
This is as good a place as any to post a story about Jean-Marc Pelletier finishing his Cornell degree this semester:
[www.news.cornell.edu]

What, you didn't want to start an inverted Pros in the Alumni thread? :)

Date: December 20, 2011 12:04PM

Jim Hyla
BMac

SI article

(emphasis mine)

In recent years?

Date: December 20, 2011 02:44PM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla
BMac

SI article

(emphasis mine)

In recent years?
No, but that's my point, we've not had good snipers, Moulson included, for some time.

Posted by: sah67 (132.236.164.---)
Date: December 21, 2011 02:09PM

Riley Nash will make his NHL debut tonight as he's been called up by Carolina to replace the injured Tim Brent in a home game against Phoenix. Riley will center the 4th line with Andreas Nodl and Anthony Stewart on his wings.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.sub-174-255-5.myvzw.com)
Date: December 21, 2011 06:59PM

Good luck Riley!!

Date: December 21, 2011 08:22PM

Via ECAC, interesting CBC article on Greening.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 07:42AM

From the 'Canes webpage:

"Riley Nash made his National Hockey League debut tonight. He played just over 13 minutes, and was centering Staal and Drayson Bowman in the third period. He struggled in the face-off dot, winning just three of 13 draws, but Muller was impressed with his overall game. “I think he’s got great hockey sense,” Muller said. “It’s a big jump, and the pace is quicker. I thought he read a lot of the plays well tonight. I thought he looked comfortable.”

Sounds like a decent start. Go Riley!

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 09:36AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
From the 'Canes webpage:

"Riley Nash made his National Hockey League debut tonight. He played just over 13 minutes, and was centering Staal and Drayson Bowman in the third period. He struggled in the face-off dot, winning just three of 13 draws, but Muller was impressed with his overall game. “I think he’s got great hockey sense,” Muller said. “It’s a big jump, and the pace is quicker. I thought he read a lot of the plays well tonight. I thought he looked comfortable.”

Sounds like a decent start. Go Riley!

I did tune into the game for a bit and had another trip down memory lane with Chuck Kaiton doing the TV play-by-play. Chuck was the hockey voice of my childhood (doing homework at the kitchen table while listening to Whaler games). Riley looked ok and was even (+/- wise) on the night.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 08:41PM

Jean-Marc Pelletier graduates after 14-year pro career.

Posted by: sah67 (132.236.164.---)
Date: December 23, 2011 10:27AM

Matt Moulson had a goal and an assist in the Islanders' 4-2 loss to the Rangers last night. That's Moulson's 16th goal of the year; just four behind the league leaders in goal-scoring.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 10:28AM by sah67.

Date: December 23, 2011 12:43PM

ACM
Jean-Marc Pelletier graduates after 14-year pro career.

Thank you for posting this, it's great.

Also, this looks like someone took a photo of an extremely attractive family and then Photoshopped in JMP's head:

Posted by: sah67 (---.sub-174-254-129.myvzw.com)
Date: December 24, 2011 02:50PM

Riley Nash picked up his first NHL point last night, an assist on Andreas Nodl's goal. It first appeared that Rilwy deflected the puck in, but replays showed he didn't make contact.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 11:50PM

Moulson had a goal (17) and a pair of assists in Isles win tonite.

Date: January 01, 2012 08:20PM

This is as good a place as any for this, I guess. USCHO posts their best photos of the year. They start off with us at Harvard.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 02, 2012 08:34PM

Maybe I missed this at some point, but Justin Krueger is Riley Nash's teammate on the Charlotte Checkers. Didn't realize they were playing together this year.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2012 01:22AM

ebilmes
Maybe I missed this at some point, but Justin Krueger is Riley Nash's teammate on the Charlotte Checkers. Didn't realize they were playing together this year.
It was mentioned in September that neither had been cut yet. [elf.elynah.com]

Re: Alumni in the Pros: December 2011 - JMP graduates
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2012 02:05PM

He might have graduated sooner but JMP's agent was working out an agreement on the overdue library books.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: January 06, 2012 09:56AM

Not December any more, but this follows up an a couple of the above posts; a nice write up on Justin Krueger over at theahl.com: [theahl.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 05:03PM by Bahnstorm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login