Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Other News Around the ECAC

Posted by snert1288 
Other News Around the ECAC
Posted by: snert1288 (---.uhmc.sunysb.edu)
Date: December 02, 2011 02:03PM

[www.timesunion.com]

Times Union article about Union playing Harvard at Fenway Park this year. No disrespect to Union, but how can this be a good idea. Union is a small school with a poor history in college hockey (at least at the D-1 level). At home their fan support is good, but I can't imagine they have many alumni in Boston or that their fans will travel. Of course I'm biased but this game would have been much better had it been Cornell-Harvard.

Re: Other News Around the ECAC
Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 02:14PM

snert1288
[www.timesunion.com]

Times Union article about Union playing Harvard at Fenway Park this year. No disrespect to Union, but how can this be a good idea. Union is a small school with a poor history in college hockey (at least at the D-1 level). At home their fan support is good, but I can't imagine they have many alumni in Boston or that their fans will travel. Of course I'm biased but this game would have been much better had it been Cornell-Harvard.

Or "any other Ivy"-Harvard. Or Clarkson/RPI/SLU for that matter, and Q is somewhat close by. Basically Union the worst opponent to pick, unless the plan is to have it be all Harvard fans, but last I checked Fenway held more than 6 seats.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: adamw (---.bms.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 02:22PM

It's pretty simple really ... Their game was already scheduled for that night, and they tacked it onto the week of games that were already taking place. It probably will not be well attended, and probably isn't meant to be.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 02:32PM

French Rage
unless the plan is to have it be all Harvard fans, but last I checked Fenway held more than 6 seats.
Hey! Harvard's got more than 6 fans. You must be joking.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 02:42PM

snert1288
[www.timesunion.com]

This year was my first Lynah East Cornell-Harvard game. There aren't many college hockey games, and only two Cornell-Harvards a year. Maybe a third in the ECACs. Maybe a fourth in nationals, but I thought the NCAA frowned upon first round matchups from the same conference.

These games are special. Outdoor hockey is a cool idea, but you lose the entirety of what makes the rivalry great, which is the intensity of a small rink. I like things like the winter classic in the nhl, because it's not like nhl hockey is played in a small rink in the first place. But losing a Cornell-Harvard game to Fenway, where maybe one row of fans can be heard on the ice (at most. Outdoor hockey puts you REALLY far from the action) seems like a waste.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 05:30PM

snert1288
[www.timesunion.com]

Harvard-Cornell at Fenway is NOT a good idea. You could get hurt heaving the fish.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 06:25PM

billhoward
snert1288
[www.timesunion.com]

Harvard-Cornell at Fenway is NOT a good idea. You could get hurt heaving the fish.
We could use a t-shirt cannon.

Posted by: munchkin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 11:48PM

My two cents having gone to Frozen Fenway and the Winter Classic game at Fenway. You can't see anything. Fenway's seats have such a slight up angle, that unless you're in the upper deck or out in the bleachers and really far away, all you can see is their upper bodies. You can't see any sticks or puck handling. The game is up on the high def screen (Fenway *finally* upgraded this past year), and that's where you end up watching most of the action. Were those games an experience, yes, but were they really worth all the hype? Meh.

Posted by: snert1288 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 11:54PM

These games may not be worth "the hype". But, I can't imagine there will even be any hype with Union coming to town. To me it just doesn't make sense.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2011 01:38PM

snert1288
These games may not be worth "the hype". But, I can't imagine there will even be any hype with Union coming to town. To me it just doesn't make sense.

There'll be lots of talk about Union coming to town. I mean, "what the hell is Union?" is still technically talk.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2011 02:37PM

French Rage
snert1288

There'll be lots of talk about Union coming to town. I mean, "what the hell is Union?" is still technically talk.

Assuming it has to be that weekend for the ice availability, the other choice is RIP and this year the RIP moniker seems to fit all too well. Last night they scored more then two goals for the second time this season to lose 5-3 (with an ENG) to Princeton.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login