Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Princeton Post-Game Chest Thumping

Posted by LaJollaRed 
Princeton Post-Game Chest Thumping
Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2011 09:12PM

WOO HOO!!

Couldn't find the radio feed. How'd we look?

Re: Princeton Post-Game Chest Thumping
Posted by: Robb (---.62-188.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: November 18, 2011 09:22PM

LaJollaRed
WOO HOO!!

Dominant, when we stayed out of the box and weren't committing offensive zone penalties. I'll take it.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2011 09:26PM

LaJollaRed
WOO HOO!!

Solid performance from a team that is gaining cohesion and looking more confident each game.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2011 09:30PM

What a game! Seemed like the ice was poor the first too periods (felt a little warm in the building) but we had good puck possession and the 3rd was absolute dominance. We scored more goals than we allowed shots in the 3rd, which is incredible. Solid performance by Iles, even though he didn't have much work to do. All in all a good effort that makes me feel good about tomorrow night.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2011 09:48PM

Great to see Andy get his first shutout.

Date: November 18, 2011 09:49PM

Trotsky
Great to see Andy get his first shutout.
And extend the shutout streak that started in '96.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2011 10:14PM

Well this is fun. The ECAC stats engine now tracks plus/minus.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2011 10:59PM

I think the most significant feature is how they played the third period. Aside from Too Many Men, they played a period like they should have at Brown and Mercyhurst. Shut the other team down first and take what you can. I'm really impressed at how well the team seems to take to Schafer's instruction. These last 3 games should have shown them that they can still generate offense and more importantly win, by playing good defense first. We've certainly had some players in the past who didn't want to buy into that.

I'm still afraid when we're on the PK. Right now, against a top team, we could easily lose due to penalties and our PK. As others have posted, you expect Coach to get them together on that, but...

Does anyone know if there is any rule about what happens when a player has major equipment problems, other than his helmet? Seeing the PU player struggle to try and get to the bench when his skate blade broke, was hard. I would have thought they could have stopped play sooner. The puck was in their defensive zone, but we didn't seem to have control.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2011 11:15PM

Other ECAC games, Colgate wins 3-1 and Austin Smith gets a natural hat trick. If he gets anything tomorrow, ECAC Player of the Week. If their goalies continue to play well, Colgate looks very tough. What a turnaround.

Harvard 3-2 over Clarkson, but out shot. And what's with their penalties this year? Aside from RPI, no surprise, they're top this year, with twice as many as us.

Dmth 3-1 SLU, nothing to say.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 12:01AM

Jim Hyla
Does anyone know if there is any rule about what happens when a player has major equipment problems, other than his helmet? Seeing the PU player struggle to try and get to the bench when his skate blade broke, was hard. I would have thought they could have stopped play sooner. The puck was in their defensive zone, but we didn't seem to have control.
No such luck:
Rule 6-2-a,b
a. Play shall not be stopped nor the game delayed for adjustments to clothing, equipment, or sticks.
PENALTY - Minor
b. The responsibility of maintaining clothing and equipment in proper condition shall be upon the player. If adjustments are required, the player shall retire from the ice; play shall continue without interruption with a substitute.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2011 09:05AM

Jim Hyla
Other ECAC games, Colgate wins 3-1 and Austin Smith gets a natural hat trick. If he gets anything tomorrow, ECAC Player of the Week. If their goalies continue to play well, Colgate looks very tough. What a turnaround.

Harvard 3-2 over Clarkson, but out shot. And what's with their penalties this year? Aside from RPI, no surprise, they're top this year, with twice as many as us.

Dmth 3-1 SLU, nothing to say.

Never hurts to have a good travel partner.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2011 01:51PM

Jim Hyla
Aside from Too Many Men, they played a period like they should have at Brown and Mercyhurst. Shut the other team down first and take what you can. I'm really impressed at how well the team seems to take to Schafer's instruction. These last 3 games should have shown them that they can still generate offense and more importantly win, by playing good defense first.

I agree. Additionally, you can tell the players have a much better read of each others' tendencies and abilities, which is why their play has been more consistent and fluid in the last few games.

I think Schafer should allow the team to take more chances early on, so that players can work on generating turnovers in the neutral zone and creating scoring opportunities with more complex passing. I think we fall short in these two areas during March, because defense alone is not enough to win championships.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2011 01:52PM by ajh258.

Date: November 19, 2011 02:00PM

ajh258
Jim Hyla
Aside from Too Many Men, they played a period like they should have at Brown and Mercyhurst. Shut the other team down first and take what you can. I'm really impressed at how well the team seems to take to Schafer's instruction. These last 3 games should have shown them that they can still generate offense and more importantly win, by playing good defense first.

I agree. Additionally, you can tell the players have a much better read of each others' tendencies and abilities, which is why their play has been more consistent and fluid in the last few games.

I think Schafer should allow the team to take more chances early on, so that players can work on generating turnovers in the neutral zone and creating scoring opportunities with more complex passing. I think we fall short in these two areas during March, because defense alone is not enough to win championships.
Given that we have yet to score less than 3 goals in a game yet I think the offense is lower on the totem pole of concerns right now. The penalty kill's inability to kill penalties 200 feet from their own net worries me. It didn't hurt us last night, but we need to be able to clear the zone far more often on the PK and not just into the neutral zone. I know it's early and stats for us are really not representative, but we're not even in the top 40 PK units which is pretty bad considering there are only 57 D-I programs. The 74.1% PK (and that's after Princeton's 0-fer last night) needs to get better.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 02:27PM

css228
ajh258
Jim Hyla

Given that we have yet to score less than 3 goals in a game yet I think the offense is lower on the totem pole of concerns right now. The penalty kill's inability to kill penalties 200 feet from their own net worries me. It didn't hurt us last night, but we need to be able to clear the zone far more often on the PK and not just into the neutral zone. I know it's early and stats for us are really not representative, but we're not even in the top 40 PK units which is pretty bad considering there are only 57 D-I programs. The 74.1% PK (and that's after Princeton's 0-fer last night) needs to get better.
Even Ivies use "less" instead of "fewer" now? :-/

Date: November 19, 2011 02:34PM

ursusminor
css228
ajh258
Jim Hyla

Apparently on forums I do. In papers, I make sure that I do not.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 03:00PM

css228
ursusminor
css228
ajh258
Jim Hyla

That's actually a fake rule. Both less and fewer have been used with plurals since the time when people were still using Old English.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2011 03:05PM

css228
ajh258
Jim Hyla

Our scoring is adequate for the ECAC, but that doesn't mean the offense is OK. With the exception of Dartmouth, most teams we've played have mediocre defense at best. If we play one of the better WCHA/CCHA teams tonight instead of Quinnipiac, we'll score one or two goals and they will score three to five. Look at what happened to Yale last year — stats aren't as meaningful if the sample is taken from an unrepresentative subset.

This is the same with the PK, the numbers are against us but I think the PK teams did a great job last night even though the puck wasn't always cleared. I don't mind Princeton passing back and forth around the blue line because that means our guys are in blocking positions and they can't get a clear shot (plus they're killing time).

On the flip side, the power play definitely needs work because our passing is slow and we're afraid of walking the puck in. If we rely too heavily on systems on the power play, the other team simply needs to stay in their formation because we are not generating opportunities on our own.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2011 03:07PM by ajh258.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: November 19, 2011 03:06PM

Lauren '06
css228
ursusminor
That's actually a fake rule. Both less and fewer have been used with plurals since the time when people were still using Old English.
Strunk & White would beg to differ.

Date: November 19, 2011 03:21PM

Ben
Lauren '06
css228
ursusminor
I'm sure a lot of style manuals do. But if you look at the historical use of language in references like the OED, both were used more or less interchangeably for hundreds of years, and the proscriptivism cropping up around the two is relatively recent.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 03:34PM

Lauren '06
Ben
Lauren '06
css228
ursusminor
I'm sure a lot of style manuals do. But if you look at the historical use of language in references like the OED, both were used more or fewer interchangeably for hundreds of years, and the proscriptivism cropping up around the two is relatively recent.
FYP ;p

Date: November 19, 2011 03:55PM

ajh258
css228
ajh258
Jim Hyla

Our scoring is adequate for the ECAC, but that doesn't mean the offense is OK. With the exception of Dartmouth, most teams we've played have mediocre defense at best. If we play one of the better WCHA/CCHA teams tonight instead of Quinnipiac, we'll score one or two goals and they will score three to five. Look at what happened to Yale last year — stats aren't as meaningful if the sample is taken from an unrepresentative subset.

This is the same with the PK, the numbers are against us but I think the PK teams did a great job last night even though the puck wasn't always cleared. I don't mind Princeton passing back and forth around the blue line because that means our guys are in blocking positions and they can't get a clear shot (plus they're killing time).

On the flip side, the power play definitely needs work because our passing is slow and we're afraid of walking the puck in. If we rely too heavily on systems on the power play, the other team simply needs to stay in their formation because we are not generating opportunities on our own.
This debate will be settled soon enough. We have BU and CC on our schedule and possibly a tilt against Maine, so we'll get to see how we are against the big boy conferences.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 04:01PM

ajh258

Our scoring is adequate for the ECAC, but that doesn't mean the offense is OK. With the exception of Dartmouth, most teams we've played have mediocre defense at best.
Yale hasn't been scored on since Cornell left town.

Date: November 19, 2011 04:16PM

imafrshmn
Lauren '06
Ben
Lauren '06
css228
ursusminor
I'm sure a lot of style manuals do. But if you look at the historical use of language in references like the OED, both were used more or fewer interchangeably for hundreds of years, and the proscriptivism cropping up around the two is relatively recent.
FYP ;p
Well played.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login