Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard - Pregame

Posted by Robin 
Harvard - Pregame
Posted by: Robin (76.119.237.---)
Date: November 01, 2011 08:34AM

To those of you heading to the Harvard game Fri 11/11/11, what is the consensus for pregame plans? Sounds like one will not be able to just walk into John Harvard's this year since CCOB has reserved the entire restaurant. CCOB is selling tickets to a reception for $18/person, but those need to be purchased in advance. "Admission to John Harvard's is by advanced reception ticket purchase only." Are people going to stick with JH's or go elsewhere?

[www.cornellclub.org]

Robin
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 08:37AM by Robin.

Re: Harvard - Pregame
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2011 09:23AM

Robin
To those of you heading to the Harvard game Fri 11/11/11, what is the consensus for pregame plans? Sounds like one will not be able to just walk into John Harvard's this year since CCOB has reserved the entire restaurant. CCOB is selling tickets to a reception for $18/person, but those need to be purchased in advance. "Admission to John Harvard's is by advanced reception ticket purchase only." Are people going to stick with JH's or go elsewhere?

[www.cornellclub.org]

Robin

"One does not simply walk into MordorJohn Harvard's!"

Some of your fellow eLFers got off the John Harvard's bandwagon some years ago, but I'll let them decide whether to post recommendations, lest I unintentionally start another bandwagon...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 01, 2011 09:31AM

Robin
If it's anything like when Cornell corporatized Slope Day, I'll pass. (Why does this situation remind me of the saying, "Everything not prohibited is mandatory"?)

The problem is that JH's was the best local pub for such a large gathering: there are better pubs (like Cambridge Common), but they are farther away. The only two places that I can think of that might serve are Tommy Doyle's and Grendel's, but either one is a step down quality-wise.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 09:35AM

Tommy Doyle's is more than one step down...

#OccupyMemDrive anyone?

Date: November 01, 2011 09:51AM

ftyuv
Tommy Doyle's is more than one step down...
I was being charitable.

I might talk to the JH's management after this weekend and ask them whether they did better last year or this year. If last year, it might be worth suggesting that they tell CCOB to piss off next year. But I have no idea how this is going to turn out: how much of a cut of that cover is JH's getting?

I'm willing to walk farther, but I can definitely understand why people liked JH's: proximity. That it also happens to be a decent brewpub with good food was merely a plus.

Places not in Harvard Square, but along the red line, that might serve are:

Kendall: CBC, Meadhall
Porter: Christopher's
Davis: Foundry

and of course Cambridge Common (which is a 15-20 minute walk from the rink).

Too bad Harvard isn't in Brookline, because The Publick House/American Craft would be *perfect*. That's a drive, not a walk, unfortunately.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2011 10:52AM

Robin

[www.cornellclub.org]

Robin
Wow, it's amazing how something can go from "lots of fun" to "entirely ruined" in such a short time. (See also Slope Day, as Kyle mentioned above.)

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 11:26AM

Kyle Rose

What about Charlie's?

Date: November 01, 2011 11:34AM

ftyuv
Kyle Rose

What about Charlie's?
After your original reply re: TD's, I was limiting my suggestions to places with good food. :-)

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 01, 2011 11:59AM

I'm skipping JH's this year as well. The cover charge is a stupid idea and they should've known better.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: November 01, 2011 01:15PM

ajh258
I'm skipping JH's this year as well. The cover charge is a stupid idea and they should've known better.
I'm willing to bet that most people with a bureaucratic mentality are simply unable to understand how traditions arise and sustain themselves without central organization. I strongly suspect others simply want to profit off what they view as a captive audience. The former can be educated—that is, they can know better—but the latter are simply parasites and should be shunned. What proportion of the CCOB fits into each camp is unknown to me.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 01:28PM

If CCOB is anything like all of the other CCs on the planet, this was well-meaning despite its inanity. CCs exist for networking and are run by Tracy Flick types. And while people like that may be soulless and/or sociopathic, they are distinctly goal-oriented and definitely respond (in their own way) to feedback, so deluging them with clear instructions concerning why this is A Bad Thing may help avoid it next time.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 01:30PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: munchkin (---.sports-wlan.simmons.edu)
Date: November 01, 2011 04:14PM

What about the parking lot where we played beer darts last year? Josh and RichH, I'm looking at you. I also support Christopher's or Foundry.

Posted by: Robin (76.119.237.---)
Date: November 01, 2011 04:36PM

How is the Pizzaria Uno setup? Can't recall what it is like inside the Harvard location.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: November 01, 2011 04:54PM

Robin
How is the Pizzaria Uno setup? Can't recall what it is like inside the Harvard location.
I honestly can't recall: I forgot the place was even there. :-) I think the last time I was in there must have been close to ten years ago.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 05:32PM

Kyle Rose
Robin
I honestly can't recall: I forgot the place was even there. :-) I think the last time I was in there must have been close to ten years ago.

The ground floor has some booths on the right as you come in, and then a back section with around 10ish tables. It's something roughly like:

+-----------+
|oo  oo  oo |
|oo  oo  oo |
+----+      |
     |   oo |
     |   oo |
     |   oo |
     +------+

I think there's a basement, too, but I'm not sure I've ever been there.

Kyle Rose
ftyuv
Kyle Rose

What about Charlie's?
After your original reply re: TD's, I was limiting my suggestions to places with good food. :-)

I agree the food's not great (good fries, though!), but I was referring more to the DB-ery that pervades TD's. Charlie's Kitchen is a bit higher on the hipster-per-capita metric, but overall I find the atmosphere much nicer. I hear the bathrooms are terrible, though.

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 05:33PM

cambridge 1 is a pizza place also next to the T stop. it's a bit fancier though and tough to get a table on a friday.

another option is fire and ice all you can eat mongolian grill, or mr. bartley's burgers (packed)

Posted by: drs48 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 08:19PM

Hear, Hear!!!!!

Posted by: sawyer (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 10:41AM

Bartley's doesn't serve beer. We've got a couple hours before game time, that leaves plenty of time to get lubed up.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2011 03:17PM

sawyer
Bartley's doesn't serve beer. We've got a couple hours before game time, that leaves plenty of time to get lubed up.
I don't have any particular feelings about any of the pregame venues being discussed, but strongly endorse this use of the phrase "lubed up".

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2011 03:21PM

If anyone is still looking, the Cornell Ticket Office still has tickets available.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2011 07:11PM

In this Boston Globe article Donato has some interesting comments about the Ivy game limit and starting the season later than the rest of the teams.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 04, 2011 08:42PM

Silly Ted. Having a good PWR ranking isn't important for your team. You're just going to lose the first game regardless.

Posted by: judy (---.wsh.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 10:59PM

KeithK
Silly Ted. Having a good PWR ranking isn't important for your team. You're just going to lose the first game regardless.

And don't forget the Beanpot. Those are lost too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login