Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECACs to Providence?

Posted by Trotsky 
ECACs to Providence?
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 04:28PM

Could be.

In addition, Bennett says that he will meet with officials from the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference on Aug. 30 to discuss moving the ECAC men’s hockey tournament to Providence.

Even though the ECAC is under contract to hold its tournament in Atlantic City, N.J., through 2013, “we’re going to see if we can convince them to come here this spring,” Bennett said. The ECAC tourney drew disappointing crowds in Atlantic City last March.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 04:28PM by Trotsky.

Re: ECACs to Providence?
Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 05:24PM

That would be wonderful if the tournament would be held in Providence instead of Atlantic City. The Providence arena is no great shakes, but I'll take Providence over Atlantic City any time.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 05:24PM by dbilmes.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 25, 2011 05:26PM

Trotsky
Could be.

In addition, Bennett says that he will meet with officials from the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference on Aug. 30 to discuss moving the ECAC men’s hockey tournament to Providence.

Even though the ECAC is under contract to hold its tournament in Atlantic City, N.J., through 2013, “we’re going to see if we can convince them to come here this spring,” Bennett said. The ECAC tourney drew disappointing crowds in Atlantic City last March.

Well, the ECAC is pretty good at weaseling out of agreements about tournament sites (viz. Lake Placid, 2003).

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: August 25, 2011 05:57PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky
Could be.

Well, the ECAC is pretty good at weaseling out of agreements about tournament sites (viz. Lake Placid, 2003).

That was a handshake deal to renew for more than one year, which (sadly for Lake Placid) has no legally binding effect since it wasn't in writing (see the Statute of Frauds); I have to assume the current one is in writing. Not to say the ECAC couldn't find a way out of it, or that they're not weaselly, I'm just sayin'.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 07:37PM

Atlantic City overestimated how much gambling would be done by Cornell undergrads and alumni, the Yale fans who showed up Saturday at gametime, and the handful from Dartmouth and someplace else (oh, right, it was Colgate that got chewed up by Yale Friday night). It could be by mutual agreement since A.C. probably doesn't want the ECAC there anymore either although the hotels are at least selling a little lodging and the place didn't look overcrowded either night.

Providence is all the hassles of getting to Boston (360 miles from Ithaca, 400 from the north country) without the fun of actually being in Boston. This sounds like a short-term cooling off period ordered by the marriage counselor until Albany and the ECAC decided to move in together again. Albany or Lake Placid is where it belongs.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 10:38PM

Posted by ugarte, September 29, 2009: "Providence is a good call. Maybe in four years the ECAC should contact the Dunk." Better early than never.

Posted by: munchkin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 08:49AM

Providence is easy to get to for those without a car (assuming the journey doesn't start in Ithaca). That's definitely a plus. Commuter rail from Boston is a wonderful thing, especially since the station dumps you almost within sight of the arena.

Posted by: RichH (---.chaledi.unite.inuknetworks.com)
Date: August 26, 2011 09:09AM

Well, finally some sense has returned after all the dollar bills stopped talking.

Albany & Lake Placid is where it belongs. We've argued here about which one we all prefer without consensus for 10 years now, but that's our top 2 (Boston excluded). Foregoing all former sites (including Boston), it comes down to Providence, Hartford, Bridgeport, Worcester, and Springfield as the only sites to me that make sense. (Full Disclosure, I live in Hartford, and thus know much more about it than the others...probably influencing the ranks)

Geography: Springfield, Hartford, Bridgeport, Worcester, Providence
Public Transport Accessibility: Bridgeport, Providence, Hartford, Worcester, Springfield
Arena appropriateness*: Bridgeport, Providence, Worcester, Springfield, Hartford
Area surrounding arena: Providence, Hartford, Springfield, Worcester, Bridgeport
"Things to Do" Factor: Providence, Hartford, Springfield, Worcester, Bridgeport
Tournament Hosting Experience: Providence, Hartford, Others tied

Personal Preference: Providence, Hartford, Worcester, Bridgeport, Springfield

*Judging by seating capacity, concessions, & "feel." I've never been to Springfield's arena, nor seen the Dunk since the renovation.

Date: August 26, 2011 11:19AM

RichH
Well, finally some sense has returned after all the dollar bills stopped talking.

Albany & Lake Placid is where it belongs. We've argued here about which one we all prefer without consensus for 10 years now, but that's our top 2 (Boston excluded). Foregoing all former sites (including Boston), it comes down to Providence, Hartford, Bridgeport, Worcester, and Springfield as the only sites to me that make sense.

Aren't there sensible options in New York State as well, like Glens Falls and maybe Syracuse?

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-213-213.myvzw.com)
Date: August 26, 2011 12:44PM

Syracuse?

Maybe after they build a new arena....As a long-term ECAC Hockey fan, I would not be very proud of our signature event of the season being at the old Syracuse War Memorial Arena (or whatever they call it today)...

I guess, along with the move from AC, we can hope that the War Memorial collapsed during the earthquake and will require replacement...

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: RichH (---.chaledi.unite.inuknetworks.com)
Date: August 26, 2011 12:57PM

jtwcornell91
RichH

Albany & Lake Placid is where it belongs. We've argued here about which one we all prefer without consensus for 10 years now, but that's our top 2 (Boston excluded). Foregoing all former sites (including Boston), it comes down to Providence, Hartford, Bridgeport, Worcester, and Springfield as the only sites to me that make sense.

Aren't there sensible options in New York State as well, like Glens Falls and maybe Syracuse?

Thought of Glens Falls, but if you're going to do it there, just make it Albany or Lake Placid since both of those places would want the ECAC back.

And Syracuse, really? I guess you've killed that part of your brain that remembers games at that venue during the Syracuse Hockey Invitational Tournament.

Date: August 26, 2011 01:38PM

RichH
jtwcornell91
RichH

Thought of Glens Falls, but if you're going to do it there, just make it Albany or Lake Placid since both of those places would want the ECAC back.

And Syracuse, really? I guess you've killed that part of your brain that remembers games at that venue during the Syracuse Hockey Invitational Tournament.

That's one of the reasons for the "maybe". (It's also a little far west, although it is a relatively easy drive for basically all of the NY schools.) If we could somehow exchange the OnCenter for TECO/Germain/Everblades Arena, we could have a fun tournament. Although come to think of it, Atlantic City is only marginally less crazy as an ECAC tournament venue than Estero...

Date: August 26, 2011 01:59PM

jtwcornell91
If we could somehow exchange the OnCenter for TECO/Germain/Everblades Arena, we could have a fun tournament. Although come to think of it, Atlantic City is only marginally less crazy as an ECAC tournament venue than Estero...
Think big.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: August 26, 2011 03:04PM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91
If we could somehow exchange the OnCenter for TECO/Germain/Everblades Arena, we could have a fun tournament. Although come to think of it, Atlantic City is only marginally less crazy as an ECAC tournament venue than Estero...
Think big.

As a west coaster I'm cool with this!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: August 26, 2011 11:33PM

Geography? The center of the ECAC passes through Albany. Glens Falls is Albany without the Big City flavor. An event in Springfield woudl have everyone driving to Northampton/Amherst miles away during the day Saturday to avoid boredom. Syracuse would set up howls from every team other than Cornell, Colgate, St Lawrence and Clarkson. And maybe Union and RPI. So that's half the league right there. Isn't the Syracuse War Memorial about as old as Lynah but w/o the charm?

[clear]
Albany it is: Perimeters of ECAC with lines matching each team with others.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2011 02:44PM

billhoward
Geography? The center of the ECAC passes through Albany. Glens Falls is Albany without the Big City flavor. An event in Springfield woudl have everyone driving to Northampton/Amherst miles away during the day Saturday to avoid boredom. Syracuse would set up howls from every team other than Cornell, Colgate, St Lawrence and Clarkson. And maybe Union and RPI. So that's half the league right there. Isn't the Syracuse War Memorial about as old as Lynah but w/o the charm?

[clear]
Albany it is: Perimeters of ECAC with lines matching each team with others.

If only half the idiots I sit with in Houston had made the trip to Albany, we wouldn't be having this discussion. That's not to let the Schenectadians off the hook - but the number of RIP fans that won't even follow their team to Schenectady is very sadcuss.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (216.2.63.---)
Date: August 30, 2011 09:10AM

After seeing your map, I'm (for the 500th time) reminded again how nice it is to be in a conference that makes sense geographically.

Posted by: pfibiger (97.101.186.---)
Date: September 12, 2011 08:46AM

This article about a PC recruit also talks about moving the ECACs to Providence. It sounds like it's under serious consideration. Maybe even for this year.

[www.projo.com]

-----------
Jim Bennett is optimistic about Providence’s chances of landing the ECAC Men’s Hockey Championship Tournament, perhaps as soon as this season.

Steve Hagwell, the ECAC Hockey commissioner, and Paul Stewart, the league’s director of officials, met with Bennett in Providence on Sept. 1 and were open to the idea of moving the tournament from Atlantic City, N.J., Bennett said.

“They’ve given us a number to hit, and now we’ve got to see if we can hit it,” said Bennett, who is trying to bring college hockey back to the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in his capacity as chairman of the board of the Rhode Island Convention Center and director of Providence’s Department of Economic Development.

“I feel very encouraged. They loved the site. Now it’s up to us to see if we can (meet the financial guarantee),” Bennett said.
------------

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-75-196-77.myvzw.com)
Date: September 12, 2011 06:41PM

The Israelites wandered 40 years in the wilderness. We've been gone from Boston going on 20 years. When will we find a home not in the wastelands?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 12, 2011 09:32PM

billhoward
The Israelites wandered 40 years in the wilderness. We've been gone from Boston going on 20 years. When will we find a home not in the wastelands?
I still don't see what's so bad about Albany. It isn't Boston, but I've never been bored there for the ECAC's. And it has a whole host of virtues, chief among them being cheap lodging.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2011 10:19PM

pfibiger

-----------
Jim Bennett is optimistic about Providence’s chances of landing the ECAC Men’s Hockey Championship Tournament, perhaps as soon as this season.

Steve Hagwell, the ECAC Hockey commissioner, and Paul Stewart, the league’s director of officials, met with Bennett in Providence on Sept. 1 and were open to the idea of moving the tournament from Atlantic City, N.J., Bennett said.

“They’ve given us a number to hit, and now we’ve got to see if we can hit it,” said Bennett, who is trying to bring college hockey back to the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in his capacity as chairman of the board of the Rhode Island Convention Center and director of Providence’s Department of Economic Development.

“I feel very encouraged. They loved the site. Now it’s up to us to see if we can (meet the financial guarantee),” Bennett said.
------------

Jim Bennett played for Brown in the late '70's.

Posted by: billhoward (66.193.45.---)
Date: September 13, 2011 08:56AM

Kyle Rose
billhoward
I still don't see what's so bad about Albany. It isn't Boston, but I've never been bored there for the ECAC's. And it has a whole host of virtues, chief among them being cheap lodging.
This vanue-shuffling is all a plan by the ECAC to get Albany to beg us to come back 3 years from now. Albany just knows the level of fan interest and so bids accordingly. Atlantic City may know the odds on the outcome of sporting events but not the turnout. It really is too bad there aren't more schools in the ECAC with the fan interest levels of Cornell. The ECAC finals in packed Boston Garden (or Hockey East now) were sensational. Now, Albany is where the ECACs need to be. And for all the griping about the location, all you have to do is find something to do for about eight daylight hours Saturday. The rest is travel, sleeping, eating & drinking, and the games.

Date: September 13, 2011 09:25AM

Well, the ECAC doesn't really need a plan if they want to go back to Albany. They can just go there. If RPI would just cooperate it would be a great venue.

Posted by: billhoward (66.193.45.---)
Date: September 13, 2011 09:54AM

ECAC hockey is theoretically a draw, so the venue guarantees the ECAC a certain amount of money. (That was part of the Providence story noted above.) It sounds as if Albany, having seen the books, doesn't value the ECACs quite as highly as before. The move to Atlantic City had to have been about money, not central location or ice conditions.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2011 12:04PM

Kyle Rose
billhoward
Plus it isn't Boston! rock

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: September 13, 2011 03:32PM

billhoward
ECAC hockey is theoretically a draw, so the venue guarantees the ECAC a certain amount of money. (That was part of the Providence story noted above.) It sounds as if Albany, having seen the books, doesn't value the ECACs quite as highly as before. The move to Atlantic City had to have been about money, not central location or ice conditions.
It was money, surprise! As I had posted a year ago when Albany lost them, a Capital District friend said that Albany just couldn't match the offer of Atlantic City. Maybe now if Atlantic City is seeing less than they wanted, they have an escape in their contract, so the ECAC can look around.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: September 13, 2011 04:48PM

billhoward
Albany is where the ECACs need to be. And for all the griping about the location, all you have to do is find something to do for about eight daylight hours Saturday.

Things to do for eight hours on Saturday in Albany Area

Movies :
Two multiplex theaters
one theater with multiple screens specializing in Indie films

Education:
New York State Museum
Children’s Museum of Science and Technology
Nature conservation areas for fishing or birding

Spending:
Two major shopping Centers with specialty stores
20 Automobile dealerships

Eating:
Dozens of authentic ethnic restaurants including Indian, Thai and Vietnamese

Drinking:
3 Sports Bars with 20+ HiDef screens
Multiple saloons
Several “Adult establishments”

How much more do you need?:-P

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: September 14, 2011 11:51AM

TimV
billhoward
Albany is where the ECACs need to be. And for all the griping about the location, all you have to do is find something to do for about eight daylight hours Saturday.

Things to do for eight hours on Saturday in Albany Area

Movies :
Two multiplex theaters
one theater with multiple screens specializing in Indie films

Education:
New York State Museum
Children’s Museum of Science and Technology
Nature conservation areas for fishing or birding

Spending:
Two major shopping Centers with specialty stores
20 Automobile dealerships

Eating:
Dozens of authentic ethnic restaurants including Indian, Thai and Vietnamese

Drinking:
3 Sports Bars with 20+ HiDef screens
Multiple saloons
Several “Adult establishments”

How much more do you need?:-P

But AC has strip cluibs right across the street from the area! cheer

Date: September 15, 2011 08:45AM

Glad you didn't end with "Priceless!"

Date: September 15, 2011 03:29PM

Josh '99
Boston would be great if you could just remove all the Bostonians.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 16, 2011 12:09PM

Trotsky
Josh '99
Boston would be great if you could just remove all the Bostonians.
Even then it would be downwind of Harvard.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2011 06:23PM

Trotsky
Could be.

Looks like "this spring" is now out. I just received an e-mail message advertising tickets for the ECAC championships in Atlantic City. Here is the event being sold on Ticketmaster:

2012 ECAC Hockey Men's Championship: All Session Tickets
Boardwalk Hall
Atlantic City, NJ
Fri, Mar 16, 2012 - Sat, Mar 17, 2012
[www.ticketmaster.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2011 11:47PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 26, 2011 08:52PM

Mostly unrelated but I thought it worth mentioning the Atlantic 10 will move their basketball tournament from Atlantic City to Brooklyn in 2013.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 09:07PM

nyc94
Mostly unrelated but I thought it worth mentioning the Atlantic 10 will move their basketball tournament from Atlantic City to Brooklyn in 2013.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Maybe they're moving because they expect Temple to jump to the Big East after UConn & Rutgers (or WVa) jump to the ACC.

Date: September 26, 2011 09:08PM

nyc94
[www.washingtonpost.com]

You're not thinking ECAC hockey bumped them? And what the heck is the Atlantic 10? It's not, like, a renaming of the ACC? Wait, here it is: Charlotte, Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, George Washington, La Salle, UMass, Rhode Island, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, St. Joseph’s, St. Louis, Temple and Xavier. The story says their attendance was pretty sucky, too, not a lot better than what our little hockey tournament drew.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login