Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Best time to pull the goalie

Posted by dbilmes 
Best time to pull the goalie
Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 08, 2011 02:18PM

I'm reading the new book by Jon Wertheim, Scorecasting, which uses statistics to dispel many sports axioms. One of the main premises of the book is that coaches are afraid to make controversial calls such as going for it on fourth down in football, even if the statistics back them up, because they're not commonly accepted by fans and the media (i.e. Bill Belechick). According to the book, NHL coaches pull their goalies too late (on average with only 1:08 left in the game when down by one goal and with 1:30 left when down by two). If they pulled their goalie one or two minutes earlier it would increase the chances of tying the game from 11.6 percent to 17.6 percent. His premise is that coaches are so averse to the potential loss of an ENG that they wait until the last possible moment, which actually reduces their chances of winning. Even though he studied the NHL, I would assume the statistics are comparable for college hockey. Personally, I've always felt most coaches, including Schafer, wait too long to pull their goalies. A lot of times, a coach waits until one minute is left, but has to wait even longer due to a faceoff being at center ice or in his own team's end. The bottom line is that a loss is a loss, whether it's 3-1 on an ENG, or 2-1.

Re: Best time to pull the goalie
Posted by: Jacob 03 (150.108.60.---)
Date: August 08, 2011 02:36PM

dbilmes
I'm reading the new book by Jon Wertheim, Scorecasting, which uses statistics to dispel many sports axioms. One of the main premises of the book is that coaches are afraid to make controversial calls such as going for it on fourth down in football, even if the statistics back them up, because they're not commonly accepted by fans and the media (i.e. Bill Belechick). According to the book, NHL coaches pull their goalies too late (on average with only 1:08 left in the game when down by one goal and with 1:30 left when down by two). If they pulled their goalie one or two minutes earlier it would increase the chances of tying the game from 11.6 percent to 17.6 percent. His premise is that coaches are so averse to the potential loss of an ENG that they wait until the last possible moment, which actually reduces their chances of winning. Even though he studied the NHL, I would assume the statistics are comparable for college hockey. Personally, I've always felt most coaches, including Schafer, wait too long to pull their goalies. A lot of times, a coach waits until one minute is left, but has to wait even longer due to a faceoff being at center ice or in his own team's end. The bottom line is that a loss is a loss, whether it's 3-1 on an ENG, or 2-1.

Within one weekend:
Schafer pulls Underhill with >5 minutes left (down 4-1)
Schafer pulls Burt with >2 minutes left (down 3-1)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2011 05:02PM

Jacob 03
dbilmes

Within one weekend:

Wasn't that the season where we pulled the goalie so often and for so long that our empty net had a better GAA than most of Clarkson's goalies?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: August 08, 2011 06:00PM

jtwcornell91
Jacob 03
dbilmes

Within one weekend:

Wasn't that the season where we pulled the goalie so often and for so long that our empty net had a better GAA than most of Clarkson's goalies?

"Twenty-two to nine. Twenty-two to nine."

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2011 11:22AM

Chris '03
jtwcornell91
Jacob 03
dbilmes

Within one weekend:

That was fun.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 12:29PM

Chris '03
jtwcornell91
Jacob 03
dbilmes

Within one weekend:

Is that 8:38 AM or PM?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login