Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

National Collegiate Hockey Conference

Posted by marty 
Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: National Collegiate Hockey Conference
Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2011 11:52AM

Last night, RIT beat St. Lawrence 6-5 in OT in front of a homecoming sell-out of almost 11,000 at Blue Cross Arena.

According to the Rochester paper, their next two homecoming opponents will be Penn State in 2012 (good karma to schedule them) and Michigan in 2013 (how much money did it take to make that happen?).

Kudos to a hockey program in our backyard doing good things. Should the ECAC happen to lose RPI or (cough) Quinnipiac, I hope RIT is on the top of the replacement list.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2011 08:59PM

That was a great game last night. Began watching it with 10 minutes left in the 3rd. Hopefully Quinnipiac decides to go (if one of them has to go wouldn't you prefer to keep RPI?) and we can bring RIT into the conference.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2011 09:45PM

css228
That was a great game last night. Began watching it with 10 minutes left in the 3rd. Hopefully Quinnipiac decides to go (if one of them has to go wouldn't you prefer to keep RPI?) and we can bring RIT into the conference.
Depends how they work out the travel partners. RIT for RPI seems simpler.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 17, 2011 09:33AM

Jim Hyla
css228

RIT-Cor
Col-Uni

(everybody else the same)

vs

RIT-Cor
Col-Prn
Yal-Brn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2011 09:36AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 17, 2011 10:38AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
css228

RIT-Cor
Col-Uni

vs

RIT-Cor
Col-Prn
Yal-Brn

Just to be pedantic, that would be Yal-Brn staying the same as well. Clg-Prn is a haul, but I guess it's no worse than Cor-Clb in Ivy basketball.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 17, 2011 10:42AM

KP '06
Last night, RIT beat St. Lawrence 6-5 in OT in front of a homecoming sell-out of almost 11,000 at Blue Cross Arena.

According to the Rochester paper, their next two homecoming opponents will be Penn State in 2012 (good karma to schedule them) and Michigan in 2013 (how much money did it take to make that happen?).

Kudos to a hockey program in our backyard doing good things. Should the ECAC happen to lose RPI or (cough) Quinnipiac, I hope RIT is on the top of the replacement list.

RIT hockey in general and that game in particular is growing in popularity at an amazing rate. I went to buy tickets at the RIT ticket office on Thursday, and it was already sold out. Sucks for me, since my house is about 1/2 mile from the Blue Cross Arena, but really impressive for the program. (Last year was not a sellout, but it was a bigger crowd than the Amerks--the local AHL team--got for their home opener.)

Date: October 17, 2011 02:16PM

jtwcornell91
Just to be pedantic, that would be Yal-Brn staying the same as well.
Argh. I always forget whether Princeton's partner is Quinnipiac or Yale. My subconscious rebellion that Yale and Quinnipiac aren't a partnership.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2011 05:26PM

Jim Hyla
css228

I am in favor of keeping either RIP or the Deer-ticks dependent on their worth as legitimate D-1 contenders. The travel partner thing is nice but should be of secondary import. Unfortunately, the fine gentlemen in charge of Hokey East are more in charge of who moves where than are those at ECACH-IJK-L-MNOP.

There is no wall (except perhaps one covered in Ivy) holding anyone in our league.

Date: October 20, 2011 01:59AM

marty
Jim Hyla
css228

I am in favor of keeping either RIP or the Deer-ticks dependent on their worth as legitimate D-1 contenders. The travel partner thing is nice but should be of secondary import. Unfortunately, the fine gentlemen in charge of Hokey East are more in charge of who moves where than are those at ECACH-IJK-L-MNOP.

There is no wall (except perhaps one covered in Ivy) holding anyone in our league.
Agreed, All I was saying is in terms of ECAC Hockey quality, I think RIT for Qpac is win for the ECAC.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 07:25PM

scoop85
According to the USCHO reporters, both Notre Dame and RPI to Hockey East looking like a real possibility, if not likelihood: USCHO Hockey East Preview

For that to occur, you'd have to think UCONN has made clear it has no intention of becoming a serious player in college hockey.

If RPI does leave -- and I'd be disappointed if they do -- RIT would seemingly be the obvious replacement.

Not so fast...

UConn To Evaluate Men's Ice Hockey Program
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 07:26PM by RichH.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: December 20, 2011 07:54PM

RichH
scoop85
According to the USCHO reporters, both Notre Dame and RPI to Hockey East looking like a real possibility, if not likelihood: USCHO Hockey East Preview

For that to occur, you'd have to think UCONN has made clear it has no intention of becoming a serious player in college hockey.

If RPI does leave -- and I'd be disappointed if they do -- RIT would seemingly be the obvious replacement.

Not so fast...

UConn To Evaluate Men's Ice Hockey Program

Interesting development. Now that they've taken football from annual I-AA showdown with Yale to Fiesta Bowl over the course of a decade, time to turn the investment dollar to another potential revenue sport?

UConn was literally playing outdoors up until the late 90's if I recall correctly and still has a long way to go in terms of facilities and campus/community interest. But if the University finally supports the program like it did with football, the program could be relevant in the not too distant future. As I said further up the thread, institutionally they are absolutely a natural HEA fit.

If you're in the area and hockey starved, the annual UConn tournament is a fun, cheap event and you'll get to see first hand just how far behind UConn is. This year RPI and UMass-Lowell are the non-conference teams joining UConn and Army from AHA. Games are next Thursday/Friday.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: December 21, 2011 01:30PM

Well, we're not now hearing a lot about RPI, are we? So maybe HE has talked to UConn.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: January 31, 2012 12:18PM

Step 2: Student newspaper writes op-ed which may raise campus awareness of details.

It's basic, but for the random UConn student, informative.

COLUMN: Hockey East or bust

Date: January 31, 2012 01:18PM

RichH
Step 2: Student newspaper writes op-ed which may raise campus awareness of details.

It's basic, but for the random UConn student, informative.

COLUMN: Hockey East or bust
Whoever made one sentence paragraphs mandatory in sportswriting should be shot out of a cannon. It's all shite since Roy Orbison Red Smith died.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: January 31, 2012 01:57PM

[www.denverpioneers.com]

More evidence that CBS Sports and NBC Sports think that there is a market for college hockey? Seems that the ECAC is going to be left out. B1G Hockey will have BTN. NCHC will have CBS Sports. Notre Dame and HEA will have NBC Sports.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 01:59PM by Aaron M. Griffin.

Posted by: css228 (---.sub-166-248-14.myvzw.com)
Date: January 31, 2012 02:02PM

Aaron M. Griffin
[www.denverpioneers.com]

More evidence that CBS Sports and NBC Sports think that there is a market for college hockey? Seems that the ECAC is going to be left out. B1G Hockey will have BTN. NCHC will have CBS Sports. Notre Dame and HEA will have NBC Sports.
Time Warner Cable Sports anybody?

Date: January 31, 2012 02:07PM

css228
Aaron M. Griffin
[www.denverpioneers.com]

I would be fine with that. Their coverage is not bad either. Our options are dwindling. On a self-interested note, Time Warner Cable Sports seems more preoccupied with 'Gate and Union.

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 02:17PM

Aaron M. Griffin
[www.denverpioneers.com]

Except those conferences have Michigan, Notre Dame, UND, etc. The ECAC has Clarkson and RPI. There's no sizeable TV markets besides Boston, which is already taken by HEA.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2012 02:42PM

Aaron M. Griffin
I would be fine with that. Their coverage is not bad either. Our options are dwindling. On a self-interested note, Time Warner Cable Sports seems more preoccupied with schools that pay them.

FYP

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 31, 2012 02:54PM

TV deals do not work on the long tail because broadcasting consumes a lot of limited resources and so relies on large-scale viewership to be profitable. Cornell hockey, and the ECAC in general, are way out on the tail. The only reason why big college football teams, for instance, get TV deals is that there are lots of people who want to watch: their viewers include lots of people who didn't go to said schools, for instance. The same isn't going to be true of ECAC hockey in any likely future.

Please, for the love of whatever god you worship, if you're going to expend any effort on this, stick to what's possible. For the foreseeable future, that is internet streaming.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 02:55PM

CowbellGuy
Aaron M. Griffin
I would be fine with that. Their coverage is not bad either. Our options are dwindling. On a self-interested note, Time Warner Cable Sports seems more preoccupied with schools that pay them.

FYP

Still begs the question why isn't Cornell the one paying them.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: January 31, 2012 03:06PM

Kyle Rose
TV deals do not work on the long tail because broadcasting consumes a lot of limited resources and so relies on large-scale viewership to be profitable. Cornell hockey, and the ECAC in general, are way out on the tail. The only reason why big college football teams, for instance, get TV deals is that there are lots of people who want to watch: their viewers include lots of people who didn't go to said schools, for instance. The same isn't going to be true of ECAC hockey in any likely future.

Please, for the love of whatever god you worship, if you're going to expend any effort on this, stick to what's possible. For the foreseeable future, that is internet streaming.
But doesn't winning The Battle of Roosevelt Island mean that we will be THE college sports team for New York? Right? Right?

Date: January 31, 2012 04:48PM

css228
Aaron M. Griffin
[www.denverpioneers.com]

yark

There's a little less self-interest involved for me now that I'm in Rochester, and can actually get TWCS (although it's the Rochester feed that generally has RIT and Amerks games rather than Colgate/Union/ECAC), but Time Warner Cable Sports has the huge disadvantage that it's not available on DirecTV or Dish, and is therefore useless to alumni in other parts of the country, as opposed to BTN, CBSSN, NBCSN and the regional Foxes. OTOH, video streaming would be accessable to almuni everywhere, especially if it's not blacked out by country.

Semi-OT, shouldn't cable systems pushing their own TV networks, like YNN and TWCS, be seen as some sort of anti-trust violation?

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: January 31, 2012 05:01PM

jtwcornell91
Semi-OT, shouldn't cable systems pushing their own TV networks, like YNN and TWCS, be seen as some sort of anti-trust violation?
The independent networks think so! Whether it is a violation depends on how the cable systems prioritize the proprietary stations. Cablevision gives the stations it owns better spots on the dial, but it isn't like they bump the big 4 down the dial, which isn't necessarily unreasonable. It negotiates arm's-length contracts for carriage of stations they don't own.

NFL Network charges way too much per customer and demands to be on a widely accessible tier so that the charge is passed on to more people. Not surprisingly, they don't have as much market penetration as they want. ESPN is too big for Cablevision to play the same kind of hardball with but I don't get ESPNU in Brooklyn, so there is a limit to the weight they can throw around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 09:20PM by ugarte.

Date: January 31, 2012 05:35PM

jtwcornell91
Given Comcast owns NBC Universal and pushes all of its various other channels (now including MSNBC, CNBC, USA, NBCSN, TCN, and your local CSN if there aren't more) then I think what TWCS would be a relatively mild offender.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2012 12:22PM

At JTW's request, I'll repost my final map, now tucked away on eLynah's server:

Revised to place a dot for Maine.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 10:10AM by Scersk '97.

Date: February 14, 2012 02:21PM

Scersk '97
At JTW's request, I'll repost my final map, now tucked away on eLynah's server
Does Maine have a dot?

Date: February 14, 2012 03:47PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
At JTW's request, I'll repost my final map, now tucked away on eLynah's server
Does Maine have a dot?

I don't know, but they sure do build a lot of roads! [rimshot]

I might have erased it somehow, but I'm too lazy to fix it.

EDIT: There, I unlazified myself above.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 10:10AM by Scersk '97.

Date: March 28, 2012 03:37PM

UConn continues its attempt to gain membership in Hockey East.

College Hockey News
Hockey East officials are taking a site visit today at the University of Connecticut, and are also expected to visit Hartford's XL Center, sources told CHN.

College Hockey News
UConn does not currently meet Hockey East standards in two way — its arena is too small, and it does not offer any athletic scholarships for hockey.

Sources indicate, however, that UConn officials are committed to upgrading the program, with details still to be worked out, and will soon formally apply to Hockey East. The main sticking point is over where will the Huskies play.

A new rink, scholarships, and probably an interim period of playing 26 miles off campus? UConn wants desperately to be a member of Hockey East.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 28, 2012 03:57PM

Aaron M. Griffin

College Hockey News
Hockey East officials are taking a site visit today at the University of Connecticut, and are also expected to visit Hartford's XL Center, sources told CHN.

College Hockey News
UConn does not currently meet Hockey East standards in two way — its arena is too small, and it does not offer any athletic scholarships for hockey.

Sources indicate, however, that UConn officials are committed to upgrading the program, with details still to be worked out, and will soon formally apply to Hockey East. The main sticking point is over where will the Huskies play.

A new rink, scholarships, and probably an interim period of playing 26 miles off campus? UConn wants desperately to be a member of Hockey East.
Well that pretty much ends any and all discussions of RPI or QPac leaving. I only regret that we can't gain a school with almost 15,000 students more than any of the others. RIT would have been a great fit for ECAC Hockey. Please tell me theres a way to kick out Brown.

Date: March 28, 2012 04:31PM

Aaron M. Griffin

College Hockey News

College Hockey News

I'd say it goes both ways. IIRC, Hockey East instigated the strong nudging that they would want UConn to upgrade the program, given that they would complete the large New England state school set for HEA. Without that encouragement from the league, and probable spelling out of revenue considerations, I don't think there would have been any moves made by UConn's administration.

And it's not unusual for UConn teams to play home games outside of Storrs. Rentschler Field in East Hartford is home to UConn football, 22 miles from campus, and the XL Center hosts about half of both the men's and women's home basketball games. This is despite the fact that Gampel Pavilion on campus holds over 10,000.

Personally, I'd be upset if I were a UConn student interested in one of those sports and be forced to travel that far to see my teams play home games. I've been to a basketball game at the XL Center in Hartford and it was a surprisingly older demographic than I expected to see, and nothing special was afforded what little student section there was. On the other hand, maybe undergrads are excited to get out of Storrs, which consists of the campus and a small strip mall.

I can't really comment on the current atmosphere at UConn hockey games, because I've never been drawn to head there to check them out, especially when I'm often traveling in the region for Cornell games.

I believe the XL Center (nee Hartford Civic Center) was used a few years back for Quinnipiac's inaugural game for the ECAC. <goes researching> Indeed, they did. Gordie Howe dropped the ceremonial puck: [www.thecrimson.com] 5000 showed for that.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 05:16PM

RichH
Aaron M. Griffin

College Hockey News

College Hockey News

I'd say it goes both ways. IIRC, Hockey East instigated the strong nudging that they would want UConn to upgrade the program, given that they would complete the large New England state school set for HEA. Without that encouragement from the league, and probable spelling out of revenue considerations, I don't think there would have been any moves made by UConn's administration.

And it's not unusual for UConn teams to play home games outside of Storrs. Rentschler Field in East Hartford is home to UConn football, 22 miles from campus, and the XL Center hosts about half of both the men's and women's home basketball games. This is despite the fact that Gampel Pavilion on campus holds over 10,000.

Personally, I'd be upset if I were a UConn student interested in one of those sports and be forced to travel that far to see my teams play home games. I've been to a basketball game at the XL Center in Hartford and it was a surprisingly older demographic than I expected to see, and nothing special was afforded what little student section there was. On the other hand, maybe undergrads are excited to get out of Storrs, which consists of the campus and a small strip mall.

I can't really comment on the current atmosphere at UConn hockey games, because I've never been drawn to head there to check them out, especially when I'm often traveling in the region for Cornell games.

I believe the XL Center (nee Hartford Civic Center) was used a few years back for Quinnipiac's inaugural game for the ECAC. <goes researching> Indeed, they did. Gordie Howe dropped the ceremonial puck: [www.thecrimson.com] 5000 showed for that.
Wow, I've never been to UConn, it really is in nowhere land. As a student I don't think I'd like it there. What happens if you don't have a car?

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 28, 2012 06:14PM

Jim Hyla
Wow, I've never been to UConn, it really is in nowhere land. As a student I don't think I'd like it there. What happens if you don't have a car?

Probably the same thing that happens if you don't have a car at Cornell. You're stuck on campus unless you're willing to take a bus downtown or to New York.

Date: March 28, 2012 06:25PM

jtn27
Jim Hyla

Probably the same thing that happens if you don't have a car at Cornell. You're stuck on campus unless you're willing to take a bus downtown or to New York.

Wait, wait, wait. When I was a freshman, with the emphasis on when, we walked downtown. There were 4 movie theatres. They were the near-near, the far-near, the near-far, and the far-far. We walked to all, weather permitting. I don't know what's happening to the younger generation.panic

Date: March 28, 2012 06:27PM

Jim Hyla
jtn27
Jim Hyla

Wait, wait, wait. When I was a freshman, with the emphasis on when, we walked downtown. There were 4 movie theatres. They were the near-near, the far-near, the near-far, and the far-far. We walked to all, weather permitting. I don't know what's happening to the younger generation.panic
Well the gorge trail to the commons which makes it enjoyable to do that walk is closed so that might have something to do with it.

Date: March 28, 2012 06:42PM

Jim Hyla
jtn27
Jim Hyla

I have done the walk a few times, but it's not all that common anymore thanks to buses that run every 15 minutes. Also, there is now only 1 real movie theater in Ithaca at the mall. The Commons has some sort of theater which I've never been to, but as far as I can tell they don't show new movies.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 06:55PM

css228
Well the gorge trail to the commons which makes it enjoyable to do that walk is closed so that might have something to do with it.
When did they close the gorge trail? Is it permanent?

Date: March 28, 2012 06:57PM

Unrelated to the current discussion but sort of relevant to the thread topic. Is anyone else a little tickled by the fact that of the five teams making the tournament from the CCHA only the one team that isn't jumping to a super conference managed to win a tournament game?

(Admittedly, I was a little more pleased by this fact Saturday afternoon than I am now.)

Date: March 28, 2012 06:59PM

KeithK
css228

A few years back. I think they're trying to get it reopened this summer.

Date: March 28, 2012 07:12PM

jtn27
KeithK
css228

Yeah but I thought I heard they ran out of money for that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 07:21PM by css228.

Date: March 28, 2012 07:16PM

jtn27
Jim Hyla

Yeah, you're kind of missing the point Jim was trying to make. Cornell is in Ithaca, which is a small city with a downtown business district. When you leave campus, you're among residential or commerical things in Ithaca. UConn is in Storrs. There's no "there" there. If you leave campus, you're on a highway. No semblance of an organized town. The campus is Storrs. There's a small strip of businesses along the main drag with a Subway and a couple take-out restaurants and a traffic light, besides the university buildings. That's it. The nearest thing that is town-like is Willimantic, 8 miles away, or Manchester, 16 miles away.

I didn't believe that 130 year-old university wouldn't have at least a collegetown type of settlement either, until I drove through it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 07:20PM by RichH.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 07:20PM

Jim Hyla
jtn27
Jim Hyla

Yes, but as a sophomore, did you find "The Clover Club"?

Date: March 28, 2012 07:32PM

jtn27
Jim Hyla
jtn27
Jim Hyla

I have done the walk a few times, but it's not all that common anymore thanks to buses that run every 15 minutes. Also, there is now only 1 real movie theater in Ithaca at the mall. The Commons has some sort of theater which I've never been to, but as far as I can tell they don't show new movies.

Cinemopolis on the Commons, and Fall Creek Pictures in the Fall Creek neighborhood a mile north of the Commons, are both independent theaters. They show some 2nd run, but mostly indie & art house movies. The State Theater rarely shows movies, as it's more of a live performance venue now. The theaters up by the mall are your only cookie-cutter 14-screen cineplex experience nearby, yes.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 08:11PM

Oh boy - you are bringing back memories of places long gone to someone who has essentially never left Ithaca:

- Movie Theaters. All the "old" downtown movie theaters are gone: Near Near (Strand) was torn down. Far near (Temple) is a bank drive-thru. Near Far (State Theater) still exists but rarely shows movies. It has been greatly rehabbed and does many stage, music, and other productions. The Far Far (Ithaca) is a warehouse. The only movie theater now in downtown is Cinemapolis which is a non-profit and primarily shows art and foreign films with a smattering of current and old movies. The local Regal 14 screen "multiplex" is out by the Shops at Ithaca Mall. And Cornell Cinema is still going strong.

- The Clover Club is LONG LONG GONE - don't remember when it went away. That kind of "entertainment" is still available locally, primarily at a place called Kumas. Google it if you must!

- If you've been keeping up with Collegetown news lately, virtually all the old bars except the Chapter House have closed. The Royal Palm closed at the end of February. Dunbars is still around - it's at the corner of Eddy St and Dryden Rd - right where "People's Park" used to be. The Chanticleer downtown is still around and from what I recall hasn't changed much at all. Pretty much all the other old downtown bars have closed, been torn down, or have turned into restaurants. A lot of the changes began happening when the drinking age went from 18 to 21.

- If you haven't been to downtown Ithaca in the last 40 years, there is a pedestrian mall called the Ithaca Commons that runs along what was E. State Street (Martin Luther King Jr. St.) from Cayuga to Aurora Streets. The area around State and Aurora Streets is now a kind of neat restaurant row that attract lots of college students both from Cornell and IC.

- The gorge trail is being reworked and I believe is supposed to be re-opened this year sometime.

Our friend, Mark Andbinder has a website that tries to keep up with many of the restaurants in the area. It is said that Ithaca and Tompkins County have more restaurants per capita than NYC. There are gastronomy experiences available for nearly every palate and wallet.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 28, 2012 08:16PM

RichH

When I lived in the Hartford metroplex I attended a handful of UConn games ($3 tickets? yes, please).

The facility could best be described as a newer, slightly larger, Northford Ice Pavilion, where Q played games back in the day.

It's an airplane hangar with sheet metal walls, maybe 7 rows of generic metal bleachers on four sides, and nothing else. I think it seats about 2k. The temperature is roughly that of the ice surface and the fan base is mostly townies, local kids, and player girlfriends. Attendance of 1k is a big draw. IIRC they played games outdoors until 2000 or so....

The UConn pep band plays for bigger games but there is otherwise no real atmosphere to speak of.

But give UConn credit. When they decide to go for it with a sport, they go all in. In ten years, they went from competitive football games with Yale to a BCS bowl. I've been wondering for some time when they'd finally turn their eyes to hockey. I'm sure the HEA tv deal didn't hurt their assessment of a major hockey initiative...

Posted by: bnr24 (---.dhcp.drexel.edu)
Date: March 28, 2012 08:19PM

RichH
jtn27
Jim Hyla
jtn27
Jim Hyla

Cinemopolis on the Commons, and Fall Creek Pictures in the Fall Creek neighborhood a mile north of the Commons, are both independent theaters. They show some 2nd run, but mostly indie & art house movies. The State Theater rarely shows movies, as it's more of a live performance venue now. The theaters up by the mall are your only cookie-cutter 14-screen cineplex experience nearby, yes.

Not to be a brat, but Cinemopolis did often show movies that were new that you couldn't really see anywhere else. (See: Jane Eyre.) I know I was more than happy to be able to watch independent movies at Cinemopolis (which I've only ever been to after its renovation but it is absolutely adorable), movies at Cornell Cinema (which is underrated and if you're a student, GO!), and movies down at the mall. Also, after missing a bus once after a late showing of Harry Potter, a friend and I walked from the movies/mall to West and it really wasn't that bad a walk. Actually kind of wonderful. If you were to walk that distance in Philly, you'd be shot.

Posted by: munchkin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 08:20PM

Jim Hyla
jtn27
Jim Hyla

Jim, I don't think I've ever asked you this: what year did you graduate? My grandma talks about the movie theaters based on those names, plus another called the armpit since it always smelled bad. My grandparents graduated in '52 and '53.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.sri.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 08:38PM

RichH
jtn27
Jim Hyla

Yeah, you're kind of missing the point Jim was trying to make. Cornell is in Ithaca, which is a small city with a downtown business district. When you leave campus, you're among residential or commerical things in Ithaca. UConn is in Storrs. There's no "there" there. If you leave campus, you're on a highway. No semblance of an organized town. The campus is Storrs. There's a small strip of businesses along the main drag with a Subway and a couple take-out restaurants and a traffic light, besides the university buildings. That's it. The nearest thing that is town-like is Willimantic, 8 miles away, or Manchester, 16 miles away.

I didn't believe that 130 year-old university wouldn't have at least a collegetown type of settlement either, until I drove through it.

Are you saying that there are no stores in Storrs? Now *that's* ironic.

Date: March 28, 2012 08:39PM

munchkin
Jim Hyla
jtn27
Jim Hyla

Jim, I don't think I've ever asked you this: what year did you graduate? My grandma talks about the movie theaters based on those names, plus another called the armpit since it always smelled bad. My grandparents graduated in '52 and '53.

Gee, thanks, but I am younger than your grandparents. '67dementedtwakI didn't know which was more appropriate, so I put both. Remember, I graduated with the first NCAA championship. In my home town, to beat. We had quite a crowd at my parents house that weekend.

Date: March 28, 2012 08:49PM

css228
jtn27
KeithK
css228

No. In fact, I'm in the process of writing an article about this for tomorrow's Sun right now (I'm procrastinating).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 09:46PM by jtn27.

Date: March 28, 2012 08:55PM

bnr24
If you were to walk that distance in Philly, you'd be shot.
I was going to object to this, but its probably true for any of the universities in Philly given how all five of them are located in or on the edge of bad neighborhoods. I mean from St. Joe's (school that Harvard rented a pep band from) I guess you can basically walk into the suburbs but in general your rule holds. Speaking of long walks, the house where Hobey Baker grew up is in the general neighborhood.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 08:57PM by css228.

Date: March 28, 2012 08:56PM

Jim Hyla
Remember, I graduated with the first NCAA championship. In my home town, to beat. We had quite a crowd at my parents house that weekend.

You're an Upstate New Yorker? (Well, Central New Yorker to be more specific).

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 08:59PM

jtn27
css228
jtn27
KeithK
css228

No. In fact, I'm in the process of writing an article about this for tomorrow's Sun write now (I'm procrastinating).

As of March 20, the Cascadilla Gorge trail is open from downtown as far as Stewart Avenue. The section between Stewart Avenue and Collegetown is still under repair.

And Fall Creek Pictures merged with Cinemapolis several years ago, and is now closed.

Date: March 28, 2012 09:04PM

css228
bnr24
I was going to object to this, but its probably true for any of the universities in Philly given how all five of them are located in or on the edge of bad neighborhoods. I mean from St. Joe's (school that Harvard rented a pep band from) I guess you can basically walk into the suburbs but in general your rule holds. Speaking of long walks, the house where Hobey Baker grew up is in the general neighborhood.
Yeah, I really shouldn't complain as I'm in Center City (literally a block or two from City Hall), but if I ever want to walk at night, I can't go alone (not an issue I had at Cornell...). And given that the closest movie theatre to me is a good 40 minute walk away either way (it was around that long, wasn't it Aaron??), I am paranoid about getting shot whenever I walk after dark, especially getting the wonderful "shooting and robbery on this street. avoid" texts.

Ooooh, where's Hobey Baker's house???

Date: March 28, 2012 09:39PM

bnr24
css228
bnr24
Yeah, I really shouldn't complain as I'm in Center City (literally a block or two from City Hall), but if I ever want to walk at night, I can't go alone (not an issue I had at Cornell...). And given that the closest movie theatre to me is a good 40 minute walk away either way (it was around that long, wasn't it Aaron??), I am paranoid about getting shot whenever I walk after dark, especially getting the wonderful "shooting and robbery on this street. avoid" texts.

Bala Cynwyd, but its a law office now. Also technically its just the facade, they knocked down the back part before local officials made them stop. Still pretty cool though.

Date: March 28, 2012 10:09PM

css228
bnr24
css228
bnr24

Bala Cynwyd, but its a law office now. Also technically its just the facade, they knocked down the back part before local officials made them stop. Still pretty cool though.
Hmmmmm. Perhaps if I ever make someone go get an excellent cheesesteak with me in Bala Cynwyd (my favorite is there.), I'll drag him to see it as well.

Date: March 28, 2012 10:25PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Jim Hyla
Remember, I graduated with the first NCAA championship. In my home town, to beat. We had quite a crowd at my parents house that weekend.

Sure, Syracuse. Still am.

Date: March 28, 2012 10:39PM

Jim Hyla
Aaron M. Griffin
Jim Hyla

Sure, Syracuse. Still am.

There were far too few of us on the Hill during my time there. I'm from the Southern Tier. Even though ~1/3 of the students on campus are New Yorkers, only a small percentage were from the Upstate region(s).

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Date: March 28, 2012 11:00PM

bnr24
css228
bnr24

Bah, don't be a ninny. Take a look at the interactive homicide maps put out by the Inquirer. Center City and University City are laughably safe... for a large city. And never forget that Philly is a large city, heavily built up, where conditions change block-to-block. In West Philly, there are some unfortunate areas just north of Drexel between it and Powellton Village, and I wouldn't hang out between Market and Lancaster or south of Baltimore much after dark, but generally you're fine all the way out to 50th or so.

We lived in East Falls (northeast, toward Manayunk) for a year and a half, on the edge of a not-so-nice area (Swampoodle, if you must know), but the neighborhood was quiet as a church mouse. As with any large city, Philly has nice neighborhoods and dangerous neighborhoods. Take off your flak jacket and walk around a bit.

Date: March 28, 2012 11:07PM

Scersk '97
bnr24
css228
bnr24

Bah, don't be a ninny. Take a look at the interactive homicide maps put out by the Inquirer. Center City and University City are laughably safe... for a large city. And never forget that Philly is a large city, heavily built up, where conditions change block-to-block. In West Philly, there are some unfortunate areas just north of Drexel between it and Powellton Village, and I wouldn't hang out between Market and Lancaster or south of Baltimore much after dark, but generally you're fine all the way out to 50th or so.

We lived in East Falls (northeast, toward Manayunk) for a year and a half, on the edge of a not-so-nice area (Swampoodle, if you must know), but the neighborhood was quiet as a church mouse. As with any large city, Philly has nice neighborhoods and dangerous neighborhoods. Take off your flak jacket and walk around a bit.
Those were the areas (Mantua, etc.) that I was referring to. Center City is actually quite safe. I had no clue where he lived when he made that comment, and thus assumed he might be somewhere up around Temple or La Salle.Also I thought the general rule was around 45th you should probably start heading back to Penn.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 11:09PM by css228.

Date: March 28, 2012 11:24PM

css228
Those were the areas (Mantua, etc.) that I was referring to. Center City is actually quite safe. I had no clue where he lived when he made that comment, and thus assumed he might be somewhere up around Temple or La Salle.Also I thought the general rule was around 45th you should probably start heading back to Penn.

Well, Mantua is actually a bit to the north of Powelton Village, which is the neighborhood directly north of Drexel, but I can understand the confusion because I was confused about it at one point or another. The area around Temple, particularly to the east and north, is indeed a bit dicey but getting better by the day. And the area around La Salle is also a bit of a conundrum, but then all of Germantown and why it is the way it is is a conundrum.

45th is fine, 46th and Pine is in fact one of our "dream corners" for owning half of a twin, and 47th is fine. 48th is where it maybe starts to change, but I truly think you're safe to 50th, at least north of Baltimore. 52nd is definitely a problem area, and will be for some time, I reckon.

All that being said, my general rule was (is?) to go to Local 44, sit down, and not even think about moving for at least a couple of hours. The only turning around I ever did there was to stare at the chalked beer list.

And now I live in Princeton... don't get me started.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 11:27PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 11:28PM

I grew up on Eddy Street and graduated from Ithaca High with Larry. Our family was buying shoes from Fontana's well before the current generation was born. It was about 5th or 6th grade that I started walking downtown to the movies or shopping at Rothschild's Department Store. Junior High School was in what is now the DeWitt Mall, so that was daily trip down and up Seneca Street. Moosewood now occupies the wood shop and a small gym space. Ithaca High School, at the foot of Ithaca Falls, was a longer walk every day (with portions uphill both ways). No big deal.

Date: March 28, 2012 11:33PM

Scersk '97
all of Germantown and why it is the way it is is a conundrum.
This - let's just say it's a dramatically safer city than it was when I was just entering high school.

Date: March 28, 2012 11:34PM

Scersk '97

Watch out for those Princeton gangstas. They might scoff at you for not being in an exclusive eating club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 11:59PM by jtn27.

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 11:48PM

David Harding
I grew up on Eddy Street and graduated from Ithaca High with Larry. Our family was buying shoes from Fontana's well before the current generation was born. It was about 5th or 6th grade that I started walking downtown to the movies or shopping at Rothschild's Department Store. Junior High School was in what is now the DeWitt Mall, so that was daily trip down and up Seneca Street. Moosewood now occupies the wood shop and a small gym space. Ithaca High School, at the foot of Ithaca Falls, was a longer walk every day (with portions uphill both ways). No big deal.
My grandmother grew up just on the campus side of the Beebe Lake bridge (near the Plantations and Forest Home). When she was in middle school (early 1930s), she walked downtown and back every day carrying her violin. No big deal. :)

Date: March 28, 2012 11:57PM

jtn27
Scersk '97

Watch out for those Princeton gangstas. They might scoff at you for not being an exclusive eating club.
This thread has drifted further from its starting point than Pangea.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 12:08AM

Aaron M. Griffin
There were far too few of us on the Hill during my time there. I'm from the Southern Tier. Even though ~1/3 of the students on campus are New Yorkers, only a small percentage were from the Upstate region(s).

Heh. Even fewer had even heard of the Maple City, you know. "No, no. With an 'H'...'"

To continue the theme of talking about our upbringings...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2012 12:15AM by RichH.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 12:23AM

css228
jtn27
Scersk '97

Watch out for those Princeton gangstas. They might scoff at you for not being an exclusive eating club.
I think it must be the off-season. :-/

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 12:31AM

Jim Hyla
RichH
Aaron M. Griffin

College Hockey News

College Hockey News

You're the guy without the DUI.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 12:32AM

css228
jtn27
Scersk '97

I loved that place, although that had a lot to do with the company I was keeping the first time I ate there. The BBQ joint that replaced it was disappointing.

I think this brings us back to an earlier point in the thread drift. . .

Date: March 29, 2012 10:39AM

RichH
Aaron M. Griffin

Heh. Even fewer had even heard of the Maple City, you know. "No, no. With an 'H'...'"

To continue the theme of talking about our upbringings...

Oh, I'm very familiar. I went to a leadership conference/summit my junior year of high school. They had to put our hometowns on our name tags. My supervisor said that when they made my name tag they thought I had made an error in the spelling. Then, they thought, no, that cannot be right, Cornell is in Ithaca, NY not Cornell, NY. It was very fun in foreign language courses on The Hill too.

My high school history teacher explains it as a combination of the company who makes SPAM and the university.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: March 29, 2012 10:43AM

bnr24
RichH

Not to be a brat, but Cinemopolis did often show movies that were new that you couldn't really see anywhere else. (See: Jane Eyre.) I know I was more than happy to be able to watch independent movies at Cinemopolis (which I've only ever been to after its renovation but it is absolutely adorable), movies at Cornell Cinema (which is underrated and if you're a student, GO!), and movies down at the mall. Also, after missing a bus once after a late showing of Harry Potter, a friend and I walked from the movies/mall to West and it really wasn't that bad a walk. Actually kind of wonderful. If you were to walk that distance in Philly, you'd be shot.

Oh, in no way was I trying to besmirch the good name of Cinemopolis, nor did I intend to imply that it was a 2nd-run theater. My wording was poor. I mostly go for indie & small-release films rather than the latest Michael Bay 3D explod-a-thon. Looks like Cinemopolis has had even more renovations & upgrades in recent years, but I am a little sad to hear that Fall Creek is gone.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: March 29, 2012 11:04AM

Chris '03
RichH

When I lived in the Hartford metroplex I attended a handful of UConn games ($3 tickets? yes, please).

The facility could best be described as a newer, slightly larger, Northford Ice Pavilion, where Q played games back in the day.

It's an airplane hangar with sheet metal walls, maybe 7 rows of generic metal bleachers on four sides, and nothing else. I think it seats about 2k. The temperature is roughly that of the ice surface and the fan base is mostly townies, local kids, and player girlfriends. Attendance of 1k is a big draw. IIRC they played games outdoors until 2000 or so....

The UConn pep band plays for bigger games but there is otherwise no real atmosphere to speak of.

But give UConn credit. When they decide to go for it with a sport, they go all in. In ten years, they went from competitive football games with Yale to a BCS bowl. I've been wondering for some time when they'd finally turn their eyes to hockey. I'm sure the HEA tv deal didn't hurt their assessment of a major hockey initiative...

Back on topic, (I know, I know...) the write-up in the Hartford Courant didn't add a whole lot we didn't already know, but I took notice of the last sentence:

UConn is in the middle of a major fundraising program, with a new basketball facility a top priority.

That got me thinking that if that's true and there are plans in the works for a new basketball palace, there's probably a way to do exactly what Ohio State did when they decided to better support their hockey program: make it muti-purpose to house both the basketball and hockey teams like the Schottenstein Center. Before moving into the Schott (capacity: 17,500) they played at the OSU Ice Rink (capacity: 1500). While at the 2005 Frozen Four in Columbus, I walked over to the old place, and it made the Northford Ice Pavilion look like the Taj Mahal. I can't believe they put up with that until the late-90s. It made it clear why tOSU teams were never successful until 1998...no big recruits would have wanted to play there, and not many good OOC teams would have wanted to make that trip, financially. Same probably goes for UConn.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2012 11:35AM

Larry72
Our friend, Mark Andbinder

*wince*

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: March 29, 2012 11:42AM

Beeeej
Larry72
Our friend, Mark Andbinder

*wince*
That's even worse than Beeej!

Date: March 29, 2012 11:43AM

RichH
That got me thinking that if that's true and there are plans in the works for a new basketball palace, there's probably a way to do exactly what Ohio State did when they decided to better support their hockey program: make it muti-purpose to house both the basketball and hockey teams like the Schottenstein Center. Before moving into the Schott (capacity: 17,500) they played at the OSU Ice Rink (capacity: 1500). While at the 2005 Frozen Four in Columbus, I walked over to the old place, and it made the Northford Ice Pavilion look like the Taj Mahal. I can't believe they put up with that until the late-90s. It made it clear why tOSU teams were never successful until 1998...no big recruits would have wanted to play there, and not many good OOC teams would have wanted to make that trip, financially. Same probably goes for UConn.

They also ran the risk of missing the NCAAs because beating such a bad team would lower their RPI (this more or less actually happened to Bowling Green once).

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2012 12:28PM

Scersk '97
Try the eggnog at Halo Farms.

Posted by: bnr24 (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 01:55PM

Scersk '97
css228

Well, Mantua is actually a bit to the north of Powelton Village, which is the neighborhood directly north of Drexel, but I can understand the confusion because I was confused about it at one point or another. The area around Temple, particularly to the east and north, is indeed a bit dicey but getting better by the day. And the area around La Salle is also a bit of a conundrum, but then all of Germantown and why it is the way it is is a conundrum.

45th is fine, 46th and Pine is in fact one of our "dream corners" for owning half of a twin, and 47th is fine. 48th is where it maybe starts to change, but I truly think you're safe to 50th, at least north of Baltimore. 52nd is definitely a problem area, and will be for some time, I reckon.

All that being said, my general rule was (is?) to go to Local 44, sit down, and not even think about moving for at least a couple of hours. The only turning around I ever did there was to stare at the chalked beer list.

She for the record. Which not to be heteronormative, kind of makes the walking alone thing a bit different at night. East Falls is GORGEOUS. I wandered over there for a visit to Drexel Med's campus and it is beautiful.

As far as Center City goes, it's safe except if I want to walk THROUGH the sketchy areas to get somewhere.

Having grown up 25 minutes from Philly, I'm mostly familiar with safe areas (one of the reasons my parents didn't have a heart attack when I decided to live in Center City for classes).

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: March 29, 2012 05:27PM

bnr24

She for the record. Which not to be heteronormative, kind of makes the walking alone thing a bit different at night. East Falls is GORGEOUS. I wandered over there for a visit to Drexel Med's campus and it is beautiful.

As far as Center City goes, it's safe except if I want to walk THROUGH the sketchy areas to get somewhere.

Having grown up 25 minutes from Philly, I'm mostly familiar with safe areas (one of the reasons my parents didn't have a heart attack when I decided to live in Center City for classes).

Who you calling heteronormative? cuss

Posted by: bnr24 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 06:05PM

Roy 82
bnr24

I was calling myself heteronormative for saying it's less safe for a girl to walk outside alone at night than a guy. :-)

Date: March 29, 2012 06:56PM

bnr24
Roy 82
bnr24

I was calling myself heteronormative for saying it's less safe for a girl to walk outside alone at night than a guy. :-)

How is that heteronormative? Isn't that a fact?

Date: March 29, 2012 07:15PM

jtn27
bnr24
Roy 82
bnr24

It;s heteronormative to assume it is a great idea that a guy walk in a big city alone at night. Surely its safer, but that's a relative term.

Date: March 29, 2012 07:22PM

css228
jtn27
bnr24
Roy 82
bnr24

It;s heteronormative to assume it is a great idea that a guy walk in a big city alone at night. Surely its safer, but that's a relative term.
Well. Basically, it is heteronormative to think that women can't defend themselves or are specifically more likely to be attacked. Even if the generic facts show that women are less safe to walk alone at night in a city, it might not specifically be true. But mainly, it is not incredibly safe for anyone to walk alone at night. I also know two girls in my class one of which lives in my building, one a block over, who were robbed walking home alone which makes me even less likely to go out at night alone. Daytime wandering I'm down for...night time wandering alone? Not so much.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2012 07:27PM by bnr24.

Date: March 29, 2012 07:26PM

css228
jtn27
bnr24
Roy 82
bnr24

I never assumed it was safe for a guy, just safer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 03:26PM by jtn27.

Date: March 29, 2012 09:28PM

bnr24
css228
jtn27
Well. Basically, it is heteronormative to think that women can't defend themselves or are specifically more likely to be attacked. Even if the generic facts show that women are less safe to walk alone at night in a city, it might not specifically be true. But mainly, it is not incredibly safe for anyone to walk alone at night. I also know two girls in my class one of which lives in my building, one a block over, who were robbed walking home alone which makes me even less likely to go out at night alone. Daytime wandering I'm down for...night time wandering alone? Not so much.
Near as I can tell you're using the term incorrectly. One might claim it's sexist to say that a woman can't defend herself as well as a man but that has nothing to do with heterosexual roles and orientations.

Whather the claim is "Heteronormative" or "sexist", it's a silly caveat because it's simply an empirical fact that woman are in more danger in these situatns than men. Noting that this may not hold for specific individuals does not change this fact. Similarly t's not sexist to state that men are stronger than women even if there exist numerous women who are much stronger than me.

Date: March 30, 2012 12:52AM

KeithK
bnr24
css228
jtn27
Near as I can tell you're using the term incorrectly. One might claim it's sexist to say that a woman can't defend herself as well as a man but that has nothing to do with heterosexual roles and orientations.

Whather the claim is "Heteronormative" or "sexist", it's a silly caveat because it's simply an empirical fact that woman are in more danger in these situatns than men. Noting that this may not hold for specific individuals does not change this fact. Similarly t's not sexist to state that men are stronger than women even if there exist numerous women who are much stronger than me.
The statement that a woman can't defend herself as well as a man does have to do with gender roles in that the woman is normatively not the one in the "defender" position and "needs to be protected."

Date: March 30, 2012 01:02AM

bnr24
KeithK
bnr24
css228
jtn27

The statement that a woman can't defend herself as well as a man does have to do with gender roles in that the woman is normatively not the one in the "defender" position and "needs to be protected."
Yeah I'm going to say that all I was saying is its probably not a good idea for anyone to walk alone in a big city late at night and stay out of it from there.

Posted by: BMac (---.demarc.cogentco.com)
Date: March 30, 2012 03:10PM

Oh, you should! Cinempolis is great. They've currently got the Iron Lady showing, which was pretty good.

Date: March 31, 2012 08:21AM

Via the USCHO article here's the latest Hartford Courant article on UConn and HE.

Looks like still 3 major problems.

Running a major program, with 18 scholarships and bigger recruiting and travel budgets, costs roughly $2 million a year, money that would not be made up in ticket sales alone.

There are other costs or complications. Per Title IX rules, if UConn were to add 18 men's hockey scholarships, 18 would have to be added to a women's program. The women's hockey team awards scholarships and is a member of Hockey East.

Also, while games would be played at the XL Center, the Freitas Ice Forum would need a major upgrade, if only for recruiting and practicing.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 10:37AM

Jim Hyla
Via the USCHO article here's the latest Hartford Courant article on UConn and HE.

Running a major program, with 18 scholarships and bigger recruiting and travel budgets, costs roughly $2 million a year, money that would not be made up in ticket sales alone.

There are other costs or complications. Per Title IX rules, if UConn were to add 18 men's hockey scholarships, 18 would have to be added to a women's program. The women's hockey team awards scholarships and is a member of Hockey East.

Also, while games would be played at the XL Center, the Freitas Ice Forum would need a major upgrade, if only for recruiting and practicing.
This is an interestg note; if you're adding both (that is, men's and women's hockey) and bringing both to D-I with a full complement of scholarships at the same time, you can lay out some expenditures (e.g. facilities upgrades) that would cover both programs, and you're just "on the hook", so to speak, for the 18 women's scholarships. As it is, they've already got more women's sports than men's (women's varsity programs in field hockey, lacrosse, rowing, volleyball but not men's), presumably to make up for all the scholarships needed to bring their football program up to the level it is. They have a men's golf program but no corresponding women's program, but that's only 9 athletes. So, to bring the men's program up to 18 scholarships they'd have to add a new women's varsity program (either from scratch or by turning a club team into a varsity team) in a sport where they don't have a men's program, and undertake all the required expenditures for facilities and staffing. Whether they're willing to do so will tell us a lot about their commitment to hockey.

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: April 02, 2012 11:02AM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla

This is an interestg note; if you're adding both (that is, men's and women's hockey) and bringing both to D-I with a full complement of scholarships at the same time, you can lay out some expenditures (e.g. facilities upgrades) that would cover both programs, and you're just "on the hook", so to speak, for the 18 women's scholarships. As it is, they've already got more women's sports than men's (women's varsity programs in field hockey, lacrosse, rowing, volleyball but not men's), presumably to make up for all the scholarships needed to bring their football program up to the level it is. They have a men's golf program but no corresponding women's program, but that's only 9 athletes. So, to bring the men's program up to 18 scholarships they'd have to add a new women's varsity program (either from scratch or by turning a club team into a varsity team) in a sport where they don't have a men's program, and undertake all the required expenditures for facilities and staffing. Whether they're willing to do so will tell us a lot about their commitment to hockey.
Presumably they wouldn't have to add another women's team, if they had some existing women's teams that are below their scholarship limit - they could just add scholarships to those to offset the new men's hockey scholarships. I have no idea if that is the case or not, of course.

Date: April 02, 2012 11:17AM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla

I feel like in this case Title IX is working against it's original purpose. It was originally created to ensure that all students, namely women, have the opportunity to play collegiate sports at the varsity level. However, here, it could potentially work to prevent male hockey players at UConn from playing at the varsity level.

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: April 02, 2012 11:27AM

jtn27
Josh '99
Jim Hyla

I feel like in this case Title IX is working against it's original purpose. It was originally created to ensure that all students, namely women, have the opportunity to play collegiate sports at the varsity level. However, here, it could potentially work to prevent male hockey players at UConn from playing at the varsity level.
Ummmm...Aren't male hockey players at UConn already playing at the varsity level (snarky comments about the quality of AHA aside...)?

Date: April 02, 2012 11:39AM

jtn27
Josh '99
Jim Hyla

Jeez a varsity college hockey program without scholarships. That would be atrocious!!! ;-)

I think it is how Title IX is supposed to work. It ensures that universities do not undertake to add new scholarship-endowed programs for men and not add anything to afford women an equal opportunity to compete and represent their university at the same level. This is a common effect of the Title IX. A handful of other B1G universities would have added NCAA Division I hockey already were it not for having to establish a women's program. Nebraska is the example cited most. Illinois has an interesting facility and has the popular, but not financial, backing to go from ACHA DI to NCAA DI.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 11:51AM

jtn27
Josh '99
Jim Hyla

In fact, Title IX has been acting to prevent mens' opportunities since its inception. There have been several schools which cut their wrestling programs among others rather than add women's sports. See this.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 11:52AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 12:09PM

jtn27

Title IX says nothing directly about sports. Title IX states, "No person in the United Stated shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, or denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity receiving federal assistance." It was initially created to stop things like actively discouraging women from taking higher-level math or science courses. IIRC, it was later determined, probably by the US Supreme Court, that "educational program or activity" included collegiate athletics.

Posted by: css228 (---.sub-166-248-14.myvzw.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 12:22PM

jtn27
Josh '99
Jim Hyla

If Title IX were working against its original purpose we'd be talking about a men's program being contracted, not scholarships being added to women's programs to offset the Men's additions. This is how it's supposed to work. Not like here where the Men's XC team is about half the size of the Women's roster. Either way, its ridiculous that a sport like football with no female equivalent is counted for Title IX purposes.

Date: April 02, 2012 12:26PM

Robb
jtn27
Josh '99
Jim Hyla

Ummmm...Aren't male hockey players at UConn already playing at the varsity level (snarky comments about the quality of AHA aside...)?

My mistake. I got confused as to what league/level of hockey UConn already had and was too lazy to look it up. However, my point still stands. In this particular case, Title IX isn't providing any additional opportunities to women, only preventing them from being provided to men.

Date: April 02, 2012 12:40PM

jtn27
I feel like in this case Title IX is working against it's original purpose. It was originally created to ensure that all students, namely women, have the opportunity to play collegiate sports at the varsity level.

jtn27
However, my point still stands. In this particular case, Title IX isn't providing any additional opportunities to women, only preventing them from being provided to men.

This is where this conversation devolves into one of political philosophy and debating legislative intent.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2012 12:43PM

Robb
Josh '99
Jim Hyla

Presumably they wouldn't have to add another women's team, if they had some existing women's teams that are below their scholarship limit - they could just add scholarships to those to offset the new men's hockey scholarships. I have no idea if that is the case or not, of course.
Fair point; I didn't consider that possibility.

Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login